• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

ANGER V/s TOLERANCE

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
ANGER v/s TOLERANCE

It is a story of a small happy family living in a city where life is really hectic. The family has a little girl and her parents.

Now to understand this theory we have to imagine two Scenes. This scene is of a breakfast table where the father is in a hurry to rush to office and he has to drop his daughter at school and he is late for the office. Now what happens in hurry is that coffee mug lying on the table falls on his shirt because of the little girl. Now the scenes are the way he reacts on this action.

Scene one
In this case the father shouts at the girl badly and scolds her mother also that you don’t know where to keep the cup …etc.etc. he rushes to change his shirt. Now as he is late he is more angry so he doesn’t say goodbye to his wife. He literally throws his daughter into the car and drop he to the school and goes to the office and creates tension there also with the staff. His whole day is ruined, he comes back home and his wife and daughter doesn’t talk to him and he goes to sleep with a lot of worries and tensions which were created by himself because he ruined his day and increased a distance between him and his family.

(Result)
His whole day & night was ruined, caused by one moment of ANGER.

Scene Two
Now in this scene father has controlled his anger i.e. he has rectified his mistake. He calmly ask his daughter to be careful next time and rush to change his shirt. Then he says goodbye to his wife and drops his daughter to the school, goes to the office and has a good day there & when he comes back home he is welcomed with a kiss from his daughter and wife.

(Result)
His whole day & night was filled with love & peace, just because he remained CALM.

Hope this can help to change our attitude and destiny...

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Speaking personally, If i feel that i am going to loose it and get angry i allways recite the following verse from SIRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI a few times

Do not speak empty words but burn away your anger with the divine name and gather up the treasure of tolerence

I find it works for me and really helps to control any urges towards anger :up::thumbup:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Scene Two
Now in this scene father has controlled his anger i.e. he has rectified his mistake. He calmly ask his daughter to be careful next time and rush to change his shirt. Then he says goodbye to his wife and drops his daughter to the school, goes to the office and has a good day there & when he comes back home he is welcomed with a kiss from his daughter and wife.

It's all about expectations. I often asked myself why do we have a spare tyre in the car......

It also acts as a reminder that when things go wrong, we are prepared to correct them.

One day I was writing a daily time table which actually works to some extent. It was allotment of time. How to make everybody happy. 2 Hours with my wife. 2 hours with my children/children studies. 5 hours working (self-employed) and 2 hours for myself. Balance of waking time - helping around.

I guess I should have made another time-table as follows :-

Monthly Time Table of Expectations :-

Wife gets mad at me - 6 times per month.
Children throw tantrums around - 4 times.
Mishaps while in a rush - 2 times
Boss gets ****ed off - 4 times
Collegues put me in a corner - 3 times

Eventhough this may be seen as negative, yet it has its positive sides. There are two sides of the coin. + & -

I should try this.

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਕਾਇਆ ਕਉ ਗਾਲੈ
कामु क्रोधु काइआ कउ गालै ॥
Kām kroḏẖ kā­i­ā ka­o gālai.
Unfulfilled sexual desire and unresolved anger waste the body away,

ਜਿਉ ਕੰਚਨ ਸੋਹਾਗਾ ਢਾਲੈ
जिउ कंचन सोहागा ढालै ॥
Ji­o kancẖan sohāgā dẖālai.
as gold is dissolved by borax.

Source: Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Last edited by a moderator:

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮ:
सलोकु मः १ ॥
Salok mehlā 1.
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਨਾਨਕ ਫਿਕੈ ਬੋਲਿਐ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਫਿਕਾ ਹੋਇ
नानक फिकै बोलिऐ तनु मनु फिका होइ ॥
Nānak fikai boli­ai ṯan man fikā ho­ė.
O Nanak, speaking insipid words, the body and mind become insipid.

ਫਿਕੋ ਫਿਕਾ ਸਦੀਐ ਫਿਕੇ ਫਿਕੀ ਸੋਇ
फिको फिका सदीऐ फिके फिकी सोइ ॥
Fiko fikā saḏī­ai fikė fikī so­ė.
He is called the most insipid of the insipid; the most insipid of the insipid is his reputation.

ਫਿਕਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਸਟੀਐ ਮੁਹਿ ਥੁਕਾ ਫਿਕੇ ਪਾਇ
फिका दरगह सटीऐ मुहि थुका फिके पाइ ॥
Fikā ḏargeh satī­ai muhi thukā fikė pā­ė.
The insipid person is discarded in the Court of the Lord, and the insipid one's face is spat upon.

ਫਿਕਾ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਆਖੀਐ ਪਾਣਾ ਲਹੈ ਸਜਾਇ ॥੧॥
फिका मूरखु आखीऐ पाणा लहै सजाइ ॥१॥
Fikā mūrakẖ ākẖī­ai pāṇā lahai sajā­ė. ||1||
The insipid one is called a fool; he is beaten with shoes in punishment. ||1||

Source: Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM