• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

An Amazing Shabad !

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Actually I think the 'i' is representing the sihari affecting the 't'. ;)

Just for fun, compare the word 'guru' from line 2.. gurU

It has a lower case 'g' representing the correct 'ga-ga' Gurmukhi letter as opposed to a capital G representing the incorrect gha-gha Gurmukhi letter. *shrugs*

Like Admin ji said, lesson is not to copy/paste from Sikhi to the Max...

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Actually I think the 'i' is representing the sihari affecting the 't'. ;)

Like Admin ji said, lesson is not to copy/paste from Sikhi to the Max...

there shouldn't be any confusion anyway..because on the shabad i pasted just under siqGuru it says 'satgur' :)

but i'll try to use the other sources mentioned...

Ishna Ji,

When you said the Shabad doesnt 'speak' to you much or affect you much in the present...what do you mean?

Does the Shabad not intrigue you, get you imagining or trying to contemplate what is being spoken of or being described here?

such a beautiful description of God Humble servents, their daily cleansing of their consciousness, the rising of their consciousness, inner vision of God, the joy bliss that is described, not in any way get you contemplating? :)

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Does the Shabad not intrigue you, get you imagining or trying to contemplate what is being spoken of or being described here?

Precisely. I am intrigued and energized by shabads describing daily life, but not this particular one at this time.

In my experience I respond differently to various parts of Gurbani at different times. I would be interested to hear if others have a similar experience.

For instance, I can read a shabad today and it could have a massive impact on me, really move me, and then I could read the same shabad two months later and not bat an eyelid.

For me, it highlights a dynamic relationship with the Guru. I learn, I grow, I change, and my reaction to the Gurbani changes too.

Sorry this isn't very specific to the shabad you are interested in!

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Precisely. I am intrigued and energized by shabads describing daily life, but not this particular one at this time.

In my experience I respond differently to various parts of Gurbani at different times. I would be interested to hear if others have a similar experience.

For instance, I can read a shabad today and it could have a massive impact on me, really move me, and then I could read the same shabad two months later and not bat an eyelid.

For me, it highlights a dynamic relationship with the Guru. I learn, I grow, I change, and my reaction to the Gurbani changes too.

Nice Post Ishna Ji,

i see where you're coming from...Gurbani does have that almost magical way of inspiring at just the right moment with a specific Shabad...almost like Guru Ji knows exactly what we need to hear or be thinking about at any given time of our life journey

God Bless ji

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ishna Ji..

Thats what is meant by..Satgur mera nit navaahn...MY SATGUR is daily Renewed..New..fresh..

I have done maybe a 500 sehaj paaths and 400 Akhand Paaths so far in my life and i can testify that soemtimes a shabad sends tears flowing and choking of the throat..at other times the same shabad is calm...and in all my life i havent yet become bored or have a feeling that i have "read" this before...My late dad used to say this..and at that time i used to think..What the heck does he mean..its the exact same Rehrass every evening and the exact same Japji he makes us all sit and recite together..well....NOW I KNOW...:kaurkhalsaflagblue::japosatnamwaheguru:

Oct 21, 2009
India
The Shabad
It’s Bani of Bhatts that is popularly called as swayyes. The shabad is clear and its translation is also simple. I am giving below the analysis of shabad upto para 1[6].

It is as per my understanding only.I have not given word to word translation as it is already given in OP.

Shabad
The naam as uttered by Guru is the raft/Boat to carry us across this worldly ocean . Those who have faith in Guru/Naam are blessed with overcoming the worldly attachment and greed [five thieves in general] and they overcome the attachment to the Maya ,sexual desires and anger. Those who have faith in Guru/Naam are blessed with higher status i.e. they reach the fourth state and get the blessed with the vision of the Akaal swaroop Guru Ramdas ji ,Embodiment of God,their cycle of birth and death comes to end and their entire doubts are dispelled .

One should, therefore, serve Guru Ramdas ji whose spiritual state is beyond description/inscrutable and He is the raft for us to carry us across this worldly mess.The glorious greatness of Guru lights the heart of all.

Many people read, listen and sing the glorious greatness of Guru at Amritvella and worship the Guru as per Gurmat and remember him;they themselves are transformed into is swaroop i.e. they get immaculate.

The Guru is embodiment of the God and is manifest in Land and water in myriads of means so one should seek sanctuary of Guru Ramdas ji whose spiritual state is beyond description and He can carry us across this worldly ocean. Those devotees who act according to the instructions of Guru [like Dhruv] are saved and they have no fear of death and they cross over worldly ocean with ease and they consider this world as transient like the moving shadow of the clouds.

Their kumdalini is aroused in sangat and they enjoy the bliss by following /through the Guru’s words. One should serve such a Guru through/with thoughts and by the words and deeds.

The next three Tuks deal with mythological figures like Krishna and Shiva and Brahma and shabad continues :-
You are forever True, the Home of Excellence,and embodiment of the Primal Supreme Being[Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o][1-6]

Possible Metaphor

There can be two major sources of confusion. One that is already stated by spadmin regarding the Kundalini and secondly the eulozisation of Guru Ramdas has gone to the extent that he is stated to be the God, if one takes the literal meaning

In the context it is stated that Kundalni can be aroused by practicing Yogic methods as the followers of Yogi Bhajan do. This is strictly prohibited for Sikhs as Guru sahib believed in worshiping God through the Naam simran and Bani besides acting as per the edicts contained in he Bani. The stress is to be in sat sangat where the kundalini gets opend up. There is no need for carrying out the kundalini arousal through Yogic methods as Kundalini for a sikh is aroused in sadh sangat.

The second point is also clear that Guru sahib were not the Creator , it is only an eulozisation of Guru Ramdas ji.

Personal spiritual exercise.

I do carry out simran for fifteen minutes in the morning. Some days I read bani in early hours and some days I visit the SPN forum after doing this type of Nitnem.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Possible Metaphor

There can be two major sources of confusion. One that is already stated by spadmin regarding the Kundalini and secondly the eulozisation of Guru Ramdas has gone to the extent that he is stated to be the God, if one takes the literal meaning

In the context it is stated that Kundalni is aroused in by practicing Yogic methods as the followers of Yogi Bhajan do. This is strictly prohibited for Sikhs as Guru sahib believed in worshiping God through the Naam simran and Bani besides acting as per the edicts contained in he Bani. The stress is to be in sat sangat where the kundalini gets opend up. There is no need for carrying out the kundalini arousal through Yogic methods as Kundalini for a sikh is aroused in sadh sangat.

The second point is also clear that Guru sahib were not the Creator , it is only an eulozisation of Guru Ramdas ji.

Personal spiritual exercise.

I do carry out simran for fifteen minutes in the morning. Some days I read bani in early hours and some days I visit the SPN forums after doing this type of Nitnem.

Thank you Taranjeet Singh for taking the time to write your understanding and experience of the shabad...it was a joy to read.

Your understanding of Kundalini is also i feel correct...no methods...yogic postures are required or necessary...the method kept for us is simple...naam simran, Sat Sangat with like minded and awoken souls, and daily seva. One must not seek to awaken Kundalini..it is just a natural process when the love of Guru Ji overflows!

Some of my family members recently started to learn kundalini Yoga, and i mentioned to them not to get too distracted from our Guru's very clear and simple path...but they are beginning to open up to greater possibilities so i think they are acting in Curiosity more that anything else..eventually they will return to the simple way..

God Bless Ji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What does Bhai Gurdas really say about Waheguru simran - in context of the varaan - not taken out of context?

What does Naam Simran meani inside of that context?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
What does Bhai Gurdas really say about Waheguru simran - in context of the varaan - not taken out of context?

For so many years i looked for clarity on such matters...reading books, people opinions...this is right, no this right...no you can;t do that...no this is what it means....

in the end like with most things...i gave it a try over a period of time and poured my heart out...
wasn't long before i got my answer...can never turn back now...Waheguru won't allow me to :)...the lighthouse has been spotted, compass has been set...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
siqGuru syiv AlK giq jw kI sRI rwmdwsu qwrx qrxM ]2] (1402-1)
satgur gur sayv alakh gat jaa kee saree raamdaas taaran tarna<sup>N</sup>. ||2||
So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||2||

help, assist and serve creation

sMswru Agm swgru qulhw hir nwmu gurU muiK pwXw ] (1402-1)
sansaar agam saagar tulhaa har naam guroo mukh paa-yaa.
The Name of the Lord, from the Mouth of the Guru, is the Raft to cross over the unfathomable world-ocean.

The name of the lord is truth, only be being true can one really live

jig jnm mrxu Bgw ieh AweI hIAY prqIiq ] (1402-2)
jag janam maran bhagaa ih aa-ee hee-ai parteet.
The cycle of birth and death in this world is ended for those who have this faith in their hearts.

by living truthfully, and assisting creation, can one find the true personality, and be oneself

prqIiq hIAY AweI ijn jn kY iqn@ kau pdvI auc BeI ] (1402-3)
parteet hee-ai aa-ee jin jan kai tin<sup>H</sup> ka-o padvee uch bha-ee.
Those humble beings who have this faith in their hearts, are awarded the highest status.

there is no better life than one of service and truth

qij mwieAw mohu loBu Aru lwlcu kwm k®oD kI ibRQw geI ] (1402-3)
taj maa-i-aa moh lobh ar laalach kaam kroDh kee baritha ga-ee.
They forsake Maya, emotional attachment and greed; they are rid of the frustrations of possessiveness, sexual desire and anger.

It is a life free of thieves

Avlok´w bRhmu Brmu sBu Cutk´w idb´ idRis† kwrx krxM ] (1402-4)
avlok-yaa barahm bharam sabh chhut-yaa dib-y darisat kaaran karna<sup>N</sup>.
They are blessed with the Inner Vision to see God, the Cause of causes, and all their doubts are dispelled.

Once the truth is embraced, all fear is vanquished

siqGuru syiv AlK giq jw kI sRI rwmdwsu qwrx qrxM ]3] (1402-4)
satgur gur sayv alakh gat jaa kee saree raamdaas taaran tarna<sup>N</sup>. ||3||
So serve the Guru, the True Guru; His ways and means are inscrutable. The Great Guru Raam Daas is the Boat to carry us across. ||3||

Help creation

prqwpu sdw gur kw Git Git prgwsu BXw jsu jn kY ] (1402-5)
partaap sadaa gur kaa ghat ghat pargaas bha-yaa jas jan kai.
The Glorious Greatness of the Guru is manifest forever in each and every heart. His humble servants sing His Praises.

We all have the ability to help, through helping we will find ourselves

I will stop there, but I think you get the general gist of what this shabad means to me.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
chazSingh ji

These questions do have answers. Bhai Gurdas really did have something to say.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
chazSingh ji

These questions do have answers. Bhai Gurdas really did have something to say.

I agree ji,

but i know any answer i give will be incomplete. I think the shabds of Bhai Gurdas are amazing...they inspired me a lot...

although i didn't really truely understand them, i went with what i thought was the way...and it seems to be working :) for me anyway...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM