• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Amritvela Difficulties, Please Advise

Simranjit

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2017
Barcelona
T
At the same time @Simranjit don't feel like you're not "doing it right" if you're not able to function on a very small amount of sleep to rise very early and meditate. You can cultivate awareness of Guru in every moment, not just the wee small hours. Be kind to yourself.

Ang 35

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ
Sirīrāg mėhlā 3.
Siree Raag, Third Mehl:

ਜੇ ਵੇਲਾ ਵਖਤੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੀਐ ਤਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ
Je velā vakẖaṯ vīcẖārī▫ai ṯā kiṯ velā bẖagaṯ ho▫e.
Consider the time and the moment-when should we worship the Lord?

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੇ ਰਤਿਆ ਸਚੇ ਸਚੀ ਸੋਇ
An▫ḏin nāme raṯi▫ā sacẖe sacẖī so▫e.
Night and day, one who is attuned to the Name of the True Lord is true.

ਇਕੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਿਨੇਹੀ ਹੋਇ
Ik ṯil pi▫ārā visrai bẖagaṯ kinehī ho▫e.
If someone forgets the Beloved Lord, even for an instant, what sort of devotion is that?

ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਸਾਚ ਸਿਉ ਸਾਸੁ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਕੋਇ ॥੧॥
Man ṯan sīṯal sācẖ si▫o sās na birthā ko▫e. ||1||
One whose mind and body are cooled and soothed by the True Lord-no breath of his is wasted. ||1||

ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇ
Mere man har kā nām ḏẖi▫ā▫e.
O my mind, meditate on the Name of the Lord.

ਸਾਚੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਤਾ ਥੀਐ ਜਾ ਹਰਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Sācẖī bẖagaṯ ṯā thī▫ai jā har vasai man ā▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
True devotional worship is performed when the Lord comes to dwell in the mind. ||1||Pause||

ਸਹਜੇ ਖੇਤੀ ਰਾਹੀਐ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਬੀਜੁ ਪਾਇ
Sėhje kẖeṯī rāhī▫ai sacẖ nām bīj pā▫e.
With intuitive ease, cultivate your farm, and plant the Seed of the True Name.

ਖੇਤੀ ਜੰਮੀ ਅਗਲੀ ਮਨੂਆ ਰਜਾ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ
Kẖeṯī jammī aglī manū▫ā rajā sahj subẖā▫e.
The seedlings have sprouted luxuriantly, and with intuitive ease, the mind is satisfied.

ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਤਿਖ ਜਾਇ
Gur kā sabaḏ amriṯ hai jiṯ pīṯai ṯikẖ jā▫e.
The Word of the Guru's Shabad is Ambrosial Nectar; drinking it in, thirst is quenched.

ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਚਿ ਰਤਾ ਸਚੇ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੨॥
Ih man sācẖā sacẖ raṯā sacẖe rahi▫ā samā▫e. ||2||
This true mind is attuned to Truth, and it remains permeated with the True One. ||2||

ਆਖਣੁ ਵੇਖਣੁ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਸਬਦੇ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ
Ākẖaṇ vekẖaṇ bolṇā sabḏe rahi▫ā samā▫e.
In speaking, in seeing and in words, remain immersed in the Shabad.

ਬਾਣੀ ਵਜੀ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗੀ ਸਚੋ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਣਾਇ
Baṇī vajī cẖahu jugī sacẖo sacẖ suṇā▫e.
The Word of the Guru's Bani vibrates throughout the four ages. As Truth, it teaches Truth.

ਹਉਮੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਰਹਿ ਗਇਆ ਸਚੈ ਲਇਆ ਮਿਲਾਇ
Ha▫umai merā rėh ga▫i▫ā sacẖai la▫i▫ā milā▫e.
Egotism and possessiveness are eliminated, and the True One absorbs them into Himself.

ਤਿਨ ਕਉ ਮਹਲੁ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਸਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥੩॥
Ŧin ka▫o mahal haḏūr hai jo sacẖ rahe liv lā▫e. ||3||
Those who remain lovingly absorbed in the True One see the Mansion of His Presence close at hand. ||3||

ਨਦਰੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਵਿਣੁ ਕਰਮਾ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ
Naḏrī nām ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai viṇ karmā pā▫i▫ā na jā▫e.
By His Grace, we meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord. Without His Mercy, it cannot be obtained.

ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਲਹੈ ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਭੇਟੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਆਇ
Pūrai bẖāg saṯsangaṯ lahai saṯgur bẖetai jis ā▫e.
Through perfect good destiny, one finds the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, and one comes to meet the True Guru.

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੇ ਰਤਿਆ ਦੁਖੁ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਜਾਇ
An▫ḏin nāme raṯi▫ā ḏukẖ bikẖi▫ā vicẖahu jā▫e.
Night and day, remain attuned to the Naam, and the pain of corruption shall be dispelled from within.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲਾਵੜਾ ਨਾਮੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੪॥੨੨॥੫੫॥
Nānak sabaḏ milāvṛā nāme nām samā▫e. ||4||22||55||
O Nanak, merging with the Shabad through the Name, one is immersed in the Name. ||4||22||55||​
Thanks a lot, Ishna.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Lately I have been having a lot of difficulties in waking up for amritvela. I have been having difficulty waking up, staying awake, and have been exhausted throughout the day. I am getting at least 7 hours of sleep, am not ill, am eating well. The cold shower doesn't help but only makes my skin tingle. Could you please share your experience and ways you have gotten around such difficulties? Thank you.

Do it at the most powerful time, 12:30am onwards. Let the meditation take you into samadhi and you may knock out after

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
amrit means nectar. amrit vela is the time when nectar rains on the mind. people call early morning as amritvela, because the mind is clear after good night sleep. if one recites path or recites God at that time the chance of absorption increases. The nectar falls or is absorbed by the mind when the mind is absorbed in reciting God's name. so to me the amritvela is that time when the mind recites and keeping the God or the guru in the mind. So it can be any time when one recites God whole heartedly. i have to go

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM