• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Amrit Naam Parmeshar Tera | ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਤੇਰਾ

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
By the 5th Guru Arjan Dev, the shabad is on Ang 616 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, translation by Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa.

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Soraṯẖ mėhlā 5.
Sorat'h, Fifth Mehl:

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਹੋਆ ਸਹਾਈ ਕਥਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਸੁਖਦਾਈ ॥
Pārbarahm ho▫ā sahā▫ī kathā kīrṯan sukẖ▫ḏā▫ī.
The Supreme Lord God has become my helper and friend; His sermon and the Kirtan of His Praises have brought me peace.

ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜਪਿ ਅਨਦੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ॥੧॥
amritnaam.jpg

Gur pūre kī baṇī jap anaḏ karahu niṯ parāṇī. ||1||
Chant the Word of the Perfect Guru's Bani, and be ever in bliss, O mortal. ||1||

ਹਰਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਿਮਰਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥
Har sācẖā simrahu bẖā▫ī.
Remember the True Lord in meditation, O Siblings of Destiny.

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਸਰਿ ਨ ਕਬਹੂ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Sāḏẖsang saḏā sukẖ pā▫ī▫ai har bisar na kabhū jā▫ī. Rahā▫o.
In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, eternal peace is obtained, and the Lord is never forgotten. ||Pause||

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਸੋ ਜੀਵੈ ॥
Amriṯ nām parmesar ṯerā jo simrai so jīvai.
Your Name, O Transcendent Lord, is Ambrosial Nectar; whoever meditates on it, lives.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕਰਮਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਥੀਵੈ ॥੨॥
Jis no karam parāpaṯ hovai so jan nirmal thīvai. ||2||
One who is blessed with God's Grace - that humble servant becomes immaculate and pure. ||2||

ਬਿਘਨ ਬਿਨਾਸਨ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖ ਨਾਸਨ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਣੀ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗਾ ॥
Bigẖan bināsan sabẖ ḏukẖ nāsan gur cẖarṇī man lāgā.
Obstacles are removed, and all pains are eliminated; my mind is attached to the Guru's feet.

ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਤ ਅਚੁਤ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਿ ਜਾਗਾ ॥੩॥
Guṇ gāvaṯ acẖuṯ abẖināsī an▫ḏin har rang jāgā. ||3||
Singing the Glorious Praises of the immovable and imperishable Lord, one remains awake to the Lord's Love, day and night. ||3||

ਮਨ ਇਛੇ ਸੇਈ ਫਲ ਪਾਏ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਕਥਾ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ॥
Man icẖẖe se▫ī fal pā▫e har kī kathā suhelī.
He obtains the fruits of his mind's desires, listening to the comforting sermon of the Lord.

ਆਦਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਮਧਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹੋਆ ਬੇਲੀ ॥੪॥੧੬॥੨੭॥
Āḏ anṯ maḏẖ Nānak ka▫o so parabẖ ho▫ā belī. ||4||16||27||
In the beginning, in the middle, and in the end, God is Nanak's best friend. ||4||16||27||

We will have the interpretation of findingmyway ji in a short time. In the meanwhile there is no reason why members cannot offer their personal understanding of this shabad.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Possible questions for discussion

1. Once again Sadh Sangat is mentioned in this shabad. How does this idea, in the rehao line, help us understand the complete shabad?

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, eternal peace is obtained, and the Lord is never forgotten.

2. In the Amrit Keertan Index, this verse gives the title to the shabad. What does it mean to you? In what way does the devotee "so jivai" "live?" What is your understanding of "simrai" or "meditate?"

Your Name, O Transcendent Lord, is Ambrosial Nectar; whoever meditates on it, lives.

3. In reading this verse, how does one remain awake. What does it mean to remain awake?

Singing the Glorious Praises of the immovable and imperishable Lord, one remains awake to the Lord's Love, day and night. ||3||

-------------------------------------------------------

From the blog Sadh Sangat, here are some of the the word meanings given by Sardar Rawel Singh. What is your understanding?

O (bhaai) brethren, (simrahu) remember – virtues and commands of – (saacha) the Eternal.

(Sukh-u) peace is (paaeeai) attained and (har-i) the Almighty is (kabahoo na) never (bisar-i jaai) forgotten by (sadaa) ever participating (saadhsang-i) in holy congregation.

O (parm-esar-u) Supreme Master, awareness of (t-era) Your (naam-u) virtues and commands is (amrit) life-giving; one (jo) who (simrai) remembers them, (jeevai) lives, i.e. does not succumb to temptations in the world-play.

(Gaavat = by singing) remembering and emulating (gun) virtues of (achut, abinaasi) the Eternal Master, one is (andin-u = all days) ever (jaagaa = awake) conscious of (rang-i = color) virtues and commands of (har-i) the Almighty. 3.

http://www.sadhsangat.com/Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji-pp-614-616-soratth-m-5-shabads-21-28/

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Thank you spnadmin ji, thanks for starting the discussion. It is always very disheartening to come to these threads and see no-one has replied. I feel like a preacher rather than a contributor who can also learn from others! I would love to hear from readers their understanding, does it agree with mine? If yes, how does this impact on your life? Have you changed anything about yourself or your lifestyle due to Guruji's message? If not, where and why do you differ? What impact does this have on your life?

My interpretation follows underneath:

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ Soraṯẖ mėhlā 5.

ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਹੋਆ ਸਹਾਈ ਕਥਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਸੁਖਦਾਈ ॥ Pārbarahm ho▫ā sahā▫ī kathā kīrṯan sukẖ▫ḏā▫ī.
The Creator is my support, helps me. Gurbani (through Katha and Kirtan) provides me with mental peace.

ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜਪਿ ਅਨਦੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ॥੧॥ Gur pūre kī baṇī jap anaḏ karahu niṯ parāṇī. ||1||
O friend, always keep Ik Oankaar’s bani (teachings) in your mind, this is the way to achieve peace.

ਹਰਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਿਮਰਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥ Har sācẖā simrahu bẖā▫ī.
Always remember the ever present Creator.

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਸਰਿ ਨ ਕਬਹੂ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Sāḏẖsang saḏā sukẖ pā▫ī▫ai har bisar na kabhū jā▫ī. Rahā▫o.
Within the sadh sangat (good company), peace can be found and Ik Oankaar forever remains in our thoughts.
Pause here and reflect on this.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਸੋ ਜੀਵੈ ॥ Amriṯ nām parmesar ṯerā jo simrai so jīvai.
Whoever dedicates their life to the life giving creator, achieves a spiritual meaningful existence.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕਰਮਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਥੀਵੈ ॥੨॥ Jis no karam parāpaṯ hovai so jan nirmal thīvai. ||2||

The person who understands the naam (Gurbani), that person develops a pure life.

ਬਿਘਨ ਬਿਨਾਸਨ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖ ਨਾਸਨ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਣੀ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗਾ ॥ Bigẖan bināsan sabẖ ḏukẖ nāsan gur cẖarṇī man lāgā.

The mind that is attached to Guru does not feel pain or worried by life’s obstacles.

ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਤ ਅਚੁਤ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਿ ਜਾਗਾ ॥੩॥ Guṇ gāvaṯ acẖuṯ abẖināsī an▫ḏin har rang jāgā. ||3||

The person who remembers the constant creator with love (sing with joy) remain completely immersed in Waheguru.

ਮਨ ਇਛੇ ਸੇਈ ਫਲ ਪਾਏ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਕਥਾ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ॥ Man icẖẖe se▫ī fal pā▫e har kī kathā suhelī.

Ik Oankaar always provides peace. The mind achieves what if wishes for (so if you wish for peace it can be attained, but if your thoughts are consumed by Maya then only superficial achievements can be obtained).

ਆਦਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਮਧਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹੋਆ ਬੇਲੀ ॥੪॥੧੬॥੨੭॥ Āḏ anṯ maḏẖ Nānak ka▫o so parabẖ ho▫ā belī. ||4||16||27||
In the beginning, in the middle, and in the end, God is Nanak's best friend. ||4||16||27||

For all time, the beginning, middle and end, Ik Oankaar has become the friend and helper of Nanak.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Possible questions for discussion

1. Once again Sadh Sangat is mentioned in this shabad. How does this idea, in the rehao line, help us understand the complete shabad?

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, eternal peace is obtained, and the Lord is never forgotten.

Understanding what sadh sangat really means is important. It's very easy to think of it as literally the 'holy company', congregation or company of true and wise..etc..
But what it truly means can be a little different for all of us ??
Different in the sense that it is the company around us that can 'Influence' us to ACT accordingly aligned with the Truth and gurmat values.
The company that can bring out the best of us in terms of true Sikh values, pure and truthful values..etc. The company that can lead us to not be too attached to maya and materialistic world, to act with pure intentions without any sort of maya material gains or intentions.

2. In the Amrit Keertan Index, this verse gives the title to the shabad. What does it mean to you? In what way does the devotee "so jivai" "live?" What is your understanding of "simrai" or "meditate?"

I find this quite interesting because I don't think I've given it much thought previously !!
''So jivai'' means a whole new thing to me from the way I now look at it.
There are a few shabads and tuks along the lines of drink the amrit essence and live forever, or forever be in bliss (amrit peevho sadha chir jeevoh)
(I always knew that it was some what an incorrect literal translation but I could never quite nail it !
For eg.. not wanting to go off topic here, but I knew a patient dyeing from cancer and someone kept suggesting the shabad of ''amrit peevho sada chir jeevho'' and they kept insisting he drink the amrit from gurdwara or some where.!!! Although I knew it was incorrect translation I couldn't quite explain it even to myself!!- Now I realize that the 'LIVING" is in fact a whole new thing altogether.) see below-

BUT, It makes me realize that the 'jivai' or the so called 'Living' that we think of is the normal average Joe living a life, nice and happy and lives happily ever after with no problems of health, family, money..etc..
We become too accustomed to our lifestyles that demand these stress free joyous lives.

The question is ''Am I living as per gurbani or not??''
Or am I living as per what my education, status and public standings should be entitling me for ?
Sad fact is that a lot of us are not living as per Guruji's instructions. We are too absorbed in the maya surroundings and have these dictating what our ''jivai'' or living should be.

I personally, have wasted much of my lifetime Living as per what I thought was living. I always said that you either 'dream your life'' OR 'live your dreams'' and I spent doing the latter for far too long.

I'm getting a much better idea of HOW I should really be living as per gurbani and how and what I should be attached to and detached from in order to live or 'jivai' this life.
Sikhi and Gurbani has made me discover a Whole New Way of LIVING my life and making me realize that all other forms of living are false and short lived.

3. In reading this verse, how does one remain awake. What does it mean to remain awake?

This 'Awake' is in contrast to being asleep.
Like explained above about what 'jivai' should really be as per gurbani, it makes me realize that all other worldly forms of living are just like being asleep.
In the tuk above, it mentions 'Remains awake to the lord's love, Day AND Night''-- acẖuṯ abẖināsī an▫ḏin har rang jāgā.
--This is telling the manmukh me, that in my life I wake in the day and sleep at night. BUT infact I am actually in Full sleep mode to the Real Life(the jivai that should be) and am constantly asleep.

If I were to be awake to the Real Life as per Gurbani, Guruji's instructions, the life solely aligned with the truth, then I would be AWAKE and ALERT of the Lord and the truth (since there would be no me-ism, or you-ism) and I would be the Pure Lord inside me living that real life ALL day and ALL night !

If the company I associate with can help me in my average working day to help me live this way, then I am in the right surroundings in order to cross this world ocean.

I thank SPNadminji for highlighting the very important words to think about in this shabad.
And hopefully, when I see these same references in other shabads it will incline me to think about my thoughts here and apply them in that specific context.

angrisha

SPNer
Jun 24, 2010
Canada

For me Simrai is to emmerse yourself in the 'name' of god. Not the literal name of course, but the concept of 'Akal Purakh'. For me this is something that needs to be done on a moment to moment bases, not to only sit in meditation but to carry that idea of meditation into your active lives. When you can have that idea enter into your everyday life, then I think you've truly begun to 'live'. In many ways we are blind to the world around us, and thus before we can 'awaken, and live' we are essentially 'dead' as we attach ourselves to this body and the world.

I am not sure if this makes sense, the practice of Simrain for me is just that it is something that needs to be cultivated through time and understanding.

For me being 'awake' is to remain fully engaged in moment that you are in. Meaning all thoughts of other things (i.e. mind chatter of past/future) are not present. By 'singing' or otherwise engaging and being fully present in this moment, you can put yourself in a position to fully be aware of the "Lords Love" continuously... it is present at every moment in time... Being "asleep" to me typical means being caught up in the mind chatter that you can attribute to Maya. This alone is a very big practice.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
For me Simrai is to emmerse yourself in the 'name' of god. Not the literal name of course, but the concept of 'Akal Purakh'. For me this is something that needs to be done on a moment to moment bases, not to only sit in meditation but to carry that idea of meditation into your active lives. When you can have that idea enter into your everyday life, then I think you've truly begun to 'live'. In many ways we are blind to the world around us, and thus before we can 'awaken, and live' we are essentially 'dead' as we attach ourselves to this body and the world.

I am not sure if this makes sense, the practice of Simrain for me is just that it is something that needs to be cultivated through time and understanding.

For me being 'awake' is to remain fully engaged in moment that you are in. Meaning all thoughts of other things (i.e. mind chatter of past/future) are not present. By 'singing' or otherwise engaging and being fully present in this moment, you can put yourself in a position to fully be aware of the "Lords Love" continuously... it is present at every moment in time... Being "asleep" to me typical means being caught up in the mind chatter that you can attribute to Maya. This alone is a very big practice.

angrisha ji

I don't believe we have heard from you yet here at SPN, certainly I have not. So welcome. :welcomekaur:

I am stirred in the same way as you are by this shabad. It captures a frame of mind and a way of being with others that delivers us now, day by day and moment by moment, a deliverance that is sweet and peaceful. We don't have to wait for it. We don't have to die to experience it. And yes ... it is a very big practice as you have said... it is a lifetime experience and a lifetime reward. Thank you!

angrisha

SPNer
Jun 24, 2010
Canada
angrisha ji

I don't believe we have heard from you yet here at SPN, certainly I have not. So welcome. :welcomekaur:

I am stirred in the same way as you are by this shabad. It captures a frame of mind and a way of being with others that delivers us now, day by day and moment by moment, a deliverance that is sweet and peaceful. We don't have to wait for it. We don't have to die to experience it. And yes ... it is a very big practice as you have said... it is a lifetime experience and a lifetime reward. Thank you!

Thank you for the welcome! Defiantly a life time practice...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

Getting back to the above an what i mentioned earlier
This 'Awake' is in contrast to being asleep.
Like explained above about what 'jivai' should really be as per gurbani, it makes me realize that all other worldly forms of living are just like being asleep.
In the tuk above, it mentions 'Remains awake to the lord's love, Day AND Night''-- acẖuṯ abẖināsī an▫ḏin har rang jāgā.
--This is telling the manmukh me, that in my life I wake in the day and sleep at night. BUT infact I am actually in Full sleep mode to the Real Life(the jivai that should be) and am constantly asleep.

If I were to be awake to the Real Life as per Gurbani, Guruji's instructions, the life solely aligned with the truth, then I would be AWAKE and ALERT of the Lord and the truth (since there would be no me-ism, or you-ism) and I would be the Pure Lord inside me living that real life ALL day and ALL night !

Just to add to that,- It has made me realise something else quite important.?
That is the whole concept of being Awake to the real jivai or life that should be !
In gurbani there are many tuks and shabads that talk about us sleeping or being asleep to the real Truth And that we need to wake up and be living this real life immersed in the truth..etc.
I know that some of these are taken literally in terms of don't sleep too much or don't be asleep in the day for example or sleep little..etc...Then they seem to go off course in the direction of acting against nature so to say. I mean God gave us these bodies that in order for them to function at full capacity, require sleep and rest because if he wanted us to just be aware and awake all the while then he could easily have done just that !!!

Now, my thinking of this whole ''wakening' or waking up got me thinking about the popular discussion of amrit vela.
I don't want to go off topic here again, but this topic always has and always will keep recurring in discussions for my lifetime ahead.

Anyway, it got me thinking that Amrit vela is obviously a time or the time of clear head and pureness so to say. It is recognized as a time when one can PHYSICALLY find connecting easier without distractions that occur in the working day.
But I think that when we look at the 'Waking up' as mentioned above, then it takes a whole new dimension !
When this 'waking up' happens or the realization if you want to call it that, then the moment and moments following immediately are the pure and truthful moments of Amrit vela.
Thus the amrit vela becomes permanent after this Awakening.

To me , i can now see a whole new Bigger world of what amrit vela actually means and not just the misinterpreted 2am-6am time.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying that 2am to 6 am is not a good time to purify your mind with nitnem and simran. We know and i know from experience that in these early morning hours i can be at my clearest and best capacity to try and mentally connect without distractions.
But it makes me think that we shouldn't confine amrit vela to times of the day but it can be anytime especially when we get that moment(s) of Truth realisation and alignment.

I think gurbani tells us that amrit vela happens right after we wake up to the One Truth that is and realise that this Truth is ALL there is.
However, as sikhs who learn and train and follow the Mir Piri concepts that help govern our conduct in the maya world and surroundings, then we should still promote actions that influence our personal spirituality in a positive manner- And this includes early morning ntinem/meditation, seva,activity within sadh sangat..etc.. because if we feel they are good tools to help us on the spiritual path, then we should use them for our advantage but be careful not to confine them into a box that determines what the Truth is.
We need both a miri and piri approach and they can both help promote each other as well.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
My understanding for consideration. As always all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ
Soraṯẖ mėhlā 5.
ਸੋਰਠਿ ਪੰਜਵੀਂ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ।
ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਹੋਆ ਸਹਾਈ ਕਥਾ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਸੁਖਦਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਜਪਿ ਅਨਦੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ੧॥
Pārbarahm ho▫ā sahā▫ī kathā kīrṯan sukẖ▫ḏā▫ī. Gur pūre kī baṇī jap anaḏ karahu niṯ parāṇī. ||1||
(ਜੇਹੜਾਮਨੁੱਖ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਾਲ ਪਿਆਰ ਬਣਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ) ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ (ਉਸ ਦਾ) ਮਦਦਗਾਰ ਬਣਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤ-ਸਾਲਾਹ (ਉਸ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ) ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰਦੀ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ! ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ (ਸਿਫ਼ਤ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦੀ) ਬਾਣੀ ਸਦਾ ਪੜ੍ਹਿਆ ਕਰ, ਤੇ, ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣਿਆ ਕਰ ॥੧॥
Creator assisted, the discourse and contemplation provided comfort. People, contemplate upon the complete creator’s discourse and enjoy happiness everyday.

ਹਰਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਿਮਰਹੁ ਭਾਈ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਸਰਿ ਕਬਹੂ ਜਾਈ ਰਹਾਉ
Har sācẖā simrahu bẖā▫ī. Sāḏẖsang saḏā sukẖ pā▫ī▫ai har bisar na kabhū jā▫ī. Rahā▫o.
ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਸਦਾ ਕਾਇਮ ਰਹਿਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਦੇ ਰਿਹਾ ਕਰੋ, (ਸਿਮਰਨ ਦੀ ਬਰਕਤਿ ਨਾਲ) ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਵਿਚ ਸਦਾ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਾਣੀਦਾ ਹੈ, ਤੇ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਕਦੇ ਭੁੱਲਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ॥
Contemplate upon the ever lasting creator. In company of the pious always the comfort, the creator is never forgotten.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਸੋ ਜੀਵੈ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕਰਮਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਥੀਵੈ੨॥
Amriṯ nām parmesar ṯerā jo simrai so jīvai. Jis no karam parāpaṯ hovai so jan nirmal thīvai. ||2||
ਹੇ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਉੱਚੇ ਮਾਲਕ! (ਪਰਮੇਸਰ!) ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਮ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ। ਜੇਹੜਾ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਹਾਸਲ ਕਰ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੂੰ ਤੇਰੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਨਾਲ (ਹੇ ਪਰਮੇਸਰ!) ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਮ ਹਾਸਲ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਪਵਿੱਤ੍ਰ ਜੀਵਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਬਣ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ॥੨॥
Purest the essence you great creator, one so contemplating so lives.
One so recipient of your blessing, such one becomes purified.

ਬਿਘਨ ਬਿਨਾਸਨ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖ ਨਾਸਨ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਣੀ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗਾ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਤ ਅਚੁਤ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਿ ਜਾਗਾ੩॥
Bigẖan bināsan sabẖ ḏukẖ nāsan gur cẖarṇī man lāgā. Guṇ gāvaṯ acẖuṯ abẖināsī an▫ḏin har rang jāgā. ||3||
(ਹੇਭਾਈ! ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਚਰਨ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇ ਰਾਹ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਸਾਰੀਆਂ) ਰੁਕਾਵਟਾਂ ਨਾਸ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੇਹਨ, ਸਾਰੇ ਦੁੱਖ ਦੂਰ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੇ ਹਨ। ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦਾ ਮਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਚਦਾਹੈ, ਉਹਮਨੁੱਖ ਹਰ ਵੇਲੇ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਤੇ ਅਟੱਲ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਂਦਾ ਗਾਂਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇਪ੍ਰੇਮ-ਰੰਗ ਵਿਚ ਲੀਨ ਹੋ ਕੇ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਹੱਲਿਆਂ ਵਲੋਂ) ਸੁਚੇਤ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ ॥੩॥
The roadblocks removed, all ailments destroyed, mind focused on creator’s feet. Speaking praises of the indestructible and everlasting, each day the essence of creator so lightening.

ਮਨ ਇਛੇ ਸੇਈ ਫਲ ਪਾਏ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਕਥਾ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ਆਦਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਮਧਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਉ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਹੋਆ ਬੇਲੀ੪॥੧੬॥੨੭॥
Man icẖẖe se▫ī fal pā▫e har kī kathā suhelī. Āḏ anṯ maḏẖ Nānak ka▫o so parabẖ ho▫ā belī. ||4||16||27||
ਹੇਭਾਈ! ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਆਤਮਕ ਆਨੰਦ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲੀ ਹੈ (ਸਿਫ਼ਤ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾਮਨੁੱਖ) ਉਹੀ ਫਲ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਕਰ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੀ ਕਾਮਨਾ ਉਸ ਦਾ ਮਨ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! (ਸਿਫ਼ਤ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਦੀ ਬਰਕਤਿ ਨਾਲ) ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਸਦਾ ਦਾ ਮਦਦਗਾਰ ਬਣ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ ॥੪॥੧੬॥੨੭॥
The mind so begets the fruits so desiring as the creator’s contemplation so aids. Nanak from beginning, the end and in between, such creator became a friend.

ESSENCE: Guru Arjan Dev ji review how the contemplation and focus upon the indestructible and everlasting creator provides a comforting mindset.

In such a blessed focus, in the company of other like and the pious, the mind becomes content and effervesces with internal everlasting happiness.

Sat Sri Akal.

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
the time has changed. the thinking with internet has chaanged. so using punjabi words in english translation of sggs do not look good any more. what if one does not know punjabi then he or she is lost right from the beginning. the english translation should be in english, so make your own words which will pull the english reading person towards the meaning. we are trying to expand sggs inn different languages. this translation is for people who know punjabi and english. such words assadh sangat( congregation or meeting of devotees) the english knowing person will understand the theme. do not put punjabi english translation and show off

Last edited:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Mrit Who or what does

Amrit Who or What never dies Immortal

Naam Word form or expression in word form

Paar Brahm Beyond Origin term used for everywhere forever all in all ie creator

Amazing how one can think realise voice and script it in word form of awareness beyond origin.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: