• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Amrit Ki Hai - The Meaning Of Sikh Baptism

bscheema

SPNer
Jan 4, 2010
http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smspublications/amritkihain/

"The fragrance of the ambrosial Divine Name of God is so sweet and engrossing that its aroma is incomparable. It surpasses the fragrance of sweet smelling earthly objects like musk, sandalwood and other aromatic essences. All the foul smelling passions within the heart are changed to fragrant feelings in the soul of one who meditates on the Divine Name."

Attachments

• 93148-004-FF19F8E7.jpg
    93148-004-FF19F8E7.jpg
    23.5 KB · Reads: 2,818

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Amrit Ki Hain - The Meaning of Sikh Baptism

Balwinder ji The first chapter is quite good. Thanks for sharing this with us. We have the entire book here. Gr8!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Amrit Ki Hain - The Meaning of Sikh Baptism

Hardip ji

Thanks to you also! These are very clear audios, they are in English, and I was able to download them.

Chaan Pardesi

Writer
SPNer
Oct 4, 2008
London & Kuala Lumpur
Dear Gurmukho,Forgive me .... one of the problems with Sikhs has been the very common use of irelevant and totally misconjured words to describe the essence and mystery of Sikh religion to the outsiders/ non - Sikhs.

There is no such thing as "Baptism" in Sikh religion.Baptism is peculiar only to the Christian faith and none other.

The Sikh is never therefore baptised.If the Sikh is baptised, than he is no longer a Sikh, but becomes a christian [could be of any denomination].It is as simple as that.

A Sikh is INITIATED into the Khalsa fold.

I would kindly request all to use the proper Sikh terms so that these terms become commo0n and people will understand them correctly.

Like,there is no Muslim Church but a Masjid.There is no Muslim Bible but the Koran Sharif. The Buddhist do not have a masjid or Church, but a Pagoda as house of prayer.

Similarly, there is no Sikh Church, or Mosque[although one in Tehran is named as masjide -a- hindi ].

There is no Sikh Bible,there is Guru Granth Sahib, which is a book that symbolises and houses The Shabad Guru= Living Words of the Gurus.

Early, western writers have used such poor terminology in the books they wrote about Sikhs, Sikh writers have generally followed their steps quite blindly, with little thought how they have inadvertently eroded correct Sikh terminology, and brought in anglicised words that really do not mean what they are supposed to for Sikhs.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dear Gurmukho,Forgive me .... one of the problems with Sikhs has been the very common use of irelevant and totally misconjured words to describe the essence and mystery of Sikh religion to the outsiders/ non - Sikhs.

There is no such thing as "Baptism" in Sikh religion.Baptism is peculiar only to the Christian faith and none other.

The Sikh is never therefore baptised.If the Sikh is baptised, than he is no longer a Sikh, but becomes a christian [could be of any denomination].It is as simple as that.

A Sikh is INITIATED into the Khalsa fold.

I would kindly request all to use the proper Sikh terms so that these terms become commo0n and people will understand them correctly.

Like,there is no Muslim Church but a Masjid.There is no Muslim Bible but the Koran Sharif. The Buddhist do not have a masjid or Church, but a Pagoda as house of prayer.

Similarly, there is no Sikh Church, or Mosque[although one in Tehran is named as masjide -a- hindi ].

There is no Sikh Bible,there is Guru Granth Sahib, which is a book that symbolises and houses The Shabad Guru= Living Words of the Gurus.

Early, western writers have used such poor terminology in the books they wrote about Sikhs, Sikh writers have generally followed their steps quite blindly, with little thought how they have inadvertently eroded correct Sikh terminology, and brought in anglicised words that really do not mean what they are supposed to for Sikhs.

You are right veer ji. The ones that bother me the most are Sikh Temple and Sikh priest, and really worse is Sikh high priest. We have to start sending letters to the editor when we read this in the news. I also see it in the India online news.welcomekaur

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM