• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India Akal Takht Chief Wants Obama To Take Stringent Measures To Check Hate Crimes Against Sikhs

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Akal Takht chief wants Obama to take stringent measures to check hate crimes against Sikhs

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/a...s-to-check-hate-crimes-against-sikhs/1173438/

Navjeevan Gopal

Expressing deep concern over the attack on a Sikh professor in Harlem neighbourhood near New York, Akal Takht chief Giani Gurbachan Singh on Monday said US President Barack Obama should put in place stringent measures to stop such hate crimes against Sikhs.

Columbia University Professor Prabhjot Singh was attacked and injured by a mob of up to 30 people who called him "Osama" and "terrorist" during a brutal assault, which the police are investigating as a hate crime. "Though (Barack) Obama has been very helpful to Sikhs, he should also ensure that stringent measures are put in place to stop incidents of hate crimes against Sikhs," Singh said. "Yes, there is an identity crisis. The Sikhs should ensure that they remain saabat soorat (follow all tenets of Sikhism) and do not cut their hair," he added.

A recent study by Stanford University's Peace Innovation Lab and Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund had found that 48 per cent of Americans identified turbaned Sikhs as Muslims. Asked about the study, Singh said, "I would direct SGPC to rope in experts and get pamphlets published on Sikh religion. These pamphlets should be distributed in strategic locations in foreign countries. These should contain all details regarding Sikh community, the articles of faith they wear and everything that could help resolve the identity crisis."

Meanwhile, a four member SGPC team will soon leave for the US to chalk out the modalities for setting up a Sikh Mission in Yuba City for spreading awareness about Sikhism. "We will make all efforts to address the problem. The SGPC panel is visiting US in connection with setting up of Sikh Mission," said SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar. The Prime Minister should take up such cases with the US President, he added.

Ikk Khalsa

SPNer
Mar 19, 2013
They are worried about Sikhs abroad and not seem to care much about the ones in India. I cant remember the last time when they did anything for Sikligar Sikhs in other states or for Sikh youth on drugs in Punjab or for the parents/kids of those innocent Sikhs who were killed in fake encounters. I guess writing letter is a lot easier than doing actual work.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I posted that article because it is hilarious. They think passing out pamphlets and calling people aside for a good talking-to is what takes the trick. lol lol And they seem totally ignorant of all the work done already in the US at state, federal and local levels to work with interfaith, media and federal agencies, and homeland security to advance awareness of Sikhi. Hate crime in the US ? What is spinning around in their collective minds ?? It is a political stunt !!! I don't care if they call me to India for a tanhya.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: