• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Advice On Situation

Katearina

SPNer
Aug 30, 2016
Hello Everyone!

I would like your input about my journey.

I am very new to Sikhi. I have a distant background in both New Age and Christianity, but have been a truth seeker above all else for my whole life. I have always struggled to find a way of life/religion that matches the truth that I feel in my being. Sikhi, as I am understanding it, is partnering incredibly well with my understanding of truth. So I am reading SGGS, praying, and meditating daily. I am actively researching Sikhi on a daily basis, as well.

I am wondering if any of you either are, or have advice for, someone who is pretty much on their own Sikhi-wise. I currently live with my husband in a rural community of about 6000, and, as far as I know, all of the religious people here are Christian. My family is also Christian. The nearest Gurdwara to me is about 3 hours in to Canada (I live in the USA). I am visiting a Gurdwara next month, and have arranged to visit with someone while I am there. But as far as my day to day, or week to week, even, I feel like I am on my own out here. I sometimes fear hostility from the more conservative people out here, but that isn't a reason to turn away. Any suggestions for how to pursue a faith that no one in your community shares?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Katearina

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Hello! And welcome to SPN!

Though sangat (community) is important in Sikhi, its largely an individual path and you can practice it at home on your own. To start out with, I suggest reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji in english translation, and Max Arthur MaCaulliff wrote a really good book which gets into the history. You can find both online in PDF/ebooks formats etc. Since you are just starting out in this path that's where I would start, and if you can make a trip once a month or so to go to the Gurdwara, then great! Ask someone there to take you under their wing, show you the darbar hall, explain the service to you, experience langar, maybe even help make some rotis etc at first! Most of all, don't be worried about going to Gurdwara as a westerner... Sikhi is open to everyone and you will be welcomed with open arms! (oh before I forget, make sure to not have tobacco etc on you when going to the Gurdwara. Also bring something to cover your hair like a bandana or scarf. They may have rumalas there for guests etc to use, but just in case it's good to have something with you)

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Katearina,

Welcome to the forum.

I am just curious. What made you decide that Sikhi is for you as compared to other religions?
What are the complimentary and the collision paths for you in Sikhi?

The reason I am asking this is because rituals are the last thing for a Sikh but being a better being by lending a hand to a stranger is a Sikhi deed which I am sure you must have done many a times in your life. In other words, "The magic formula" of Sikhi is that there is no magic. Living a life as a Sikh is just magical.

Last edited:

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Hello Everyone!

I would like your input about my journey.

I am very new to Sikhi. I have a distant background in both New Age and Christianity, but have been a truth seeker above all else for my whole life. I have always struggled to find a way of life/religion that matches the truth that I feel in my being. Sikhi, as I am understanding it, is partnering incredibly well with my understanding of truth. So I am reading SGGS, praying, and meditating daily. I am actively researching Sikhi on a daily basis, as well.

I am wondering if any of you either are, or have advice for, someone who is pretty much on their own Sikhi-wise. I currently live with my husband in a rural community of about 6000, and, as far as I know, all of the religious people here are Christian. My family is also Christian. The nearest Gurdwara to me is about 3 hours in to Canada (I live in the USA). I am visiting a Gurdwara next month, and have arranged to visit with someone while I am there. But as far as my day to day, or week to week, even, I feel like I am on my own out here. I sometimes fear hostility from the more conservative people out here, but that isn't a reason to turn away. Any suggestions for how to pursue a faith that no one in your community shares?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Katearina
Meditation on Lord's Name, earning through honest means, sharing with other in addition to equality, fraternity, brotherhood, piety, contentedness and humility are the great tools of Sikhi which will have no enemies but friends all around. Keep on learning from your true guide Sri Guru Granth sahib and you will be moving to the right direction without any malice or problem. English version of Sri Guru Granth Sahib is available on net. Read and understand one or two pages daily and then try to live what ever is learnt; you can become best of the Sikhs.

Katearina

SPNer
Aug 30, 2016
Thank you Harkiran Kaur, Tejwant Singh, and dalvindersing grewal for the warm welcome!

I am just curious. What made you decide that Sikhi is for you as compared to other religions?
What are the complimentary and the collision paths for you in Sikhi?

The reason I am asking this is because rituals are the last thing for a Sikh but being a better being by lending a hand to a stranger is a Sikhi deed which I am sure you must have done many a times in your life. In other words, "The magic formula" of Sikhi is that there is no magic. Living a life as a Sikh is just magical.

Thank you for asking, Tejwant Singh, and, please, let me know if I need to continue my research and understanding on any of the things I am going to mention. What pulled me in to Sikhi initially, was the statements about Truth at the beginning of SGGS. I have always worshipped Truth, so I began studying. There are some things I have believed for many years that I feel align very strongly with Sikhi. I believe that there is one God that created everything in existence. I believe we are supposed to be good people who care for each other and the world we live in. In my experience, Christianity believes in both of these as well, which is why I spent several years as a practicing Christian. This would have been 12 or so years ago when I left Christianity. What I do not believe in, respectfully, that I was always taught in Christianity, is that there is only one lifetime that ends in either Heaven or Hell. I believe a creator God that wants us to be good people and care for others gives us as many lives as we need to find a positive end to life. For me, being a creation of God, the thing I want more than anything is to be one with that creator God. While a pleasurable eternity in Heaven being a worshiper of God is a wonderful idea, I have always felt that "Heaven" is being one with God. Simply returning in to what I came from. I also do not believe that God had to die for me in order to be saved. I believe that God bringing me back to my point of origin is done out of grace in response to my love of God, and the loving actions I make as a result, not in the belief of any sort of sacrifice like Jesus (I do believe, however, that Jesus is a wonderful example of how to be a good person). In my understanding, all of this is complimentary to Sikhi.

What I love most, thus far, about Sikhi is what you touch on in your second paragraph. It is a special thing to be a human, and, without the threat of eternal Hell, I am free to simply help people and be the most loving creation that I can be. I don't have to be concerned in the same way with anyone's afterlife, my own included. There is a stress to trying to help people when you are also concerned about whether or not they are going to Hell for all eternity. With Sikhi, it is all a journey for me. While on that journey, I am able to love God and others without fear. I am able to respect other's beliefs and honor their processes. I am able to help others and be the best person I can be as do my best to be a thoughtful creation.

As far as what feels like a collision path with Sikhi: I am being exposed to a culture that I have no real experience with. I am trying to learn a new language. If I start wearing the 5 Ks, I will stick out like a sore thumb in my very small, traditional town, which scares me a little.

I realize a lot of this post has been my ego talking, but it is where I am at. :)

Thank you for your continued consideration.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Welcome Katearina,

Another name for truth is "sat", and if I was to tell you that you're not here of your own freewill but by the grace of God [sat], would you hold that against me ? Here you will discover meaning and purpose to life's many mystical moments. Consider therefore, your self blessed in the company of many likeminded souls.

Increased knowledge of both the spiritual and the physical worlds will enable you to reshape your society so that you can create the conditions for greater fulfilment of the human potential, meaning the "true you". Like you, there was a Doll made of salt who wanted to measure the depth of the ocean. No sooner did she touch the water she melted. And, so will you to become one with your maker, the sat of Sikhism.

Enjoy your journey amongst the finest -

Goodnight and Godbless

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM