• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Abortion And Sikh Youth

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I think it is necessary to differentiate between killing, murder and self-defence.

Not all killing of a human being is murder. A good working definition of murder is:
The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.

Usually, there is malice involved. If there is no malice, such as in an accidental killing, it is usually termed manslaughter.

Using this definition, self-defence is clearly not murder, since there is clear justification. I think, of course, of when I killed that adversary (looking for a word that will get past the automatic censor here) during the Delhi Pogrom. They attacked us with murderous intent. A Sikh is not only not prohibited from defending her/himself, we are encouraged to do so. This could not be termed manslaughter, as there was plenty of malice on my part.

Likewise, if a child inside a mother is presenting a clear and present danger to her, I would also term that self-defence.

I have thought long and hard about rape and incest, and come to the conclusion that the child is an innocent party to the crime and as such, does not warrant the death penalty.

There are other hard cases that I am going to skip for now; I'm just very grateful I don't have to rule on them.

Caspian

SPNer
Mar 7, 2008
Perhaps a bit of a side note but I would like to stress that this isn't just a an issue that stems from the father's of the children—or even the guys in general. Often times its the mother's desire to have a son that outweighs the fathers—Or if not the mother, then the grandmother on the fathers side (the father's mother).

Harwinder

SPNer
Apr 4, 2011
I believe abortion; all in all is a decsion that has to be made by someone who wasn't nd responsible in the first place. Now taking into consideration abortion can also be considred ok because now we have technology to tell wathere it is going to be a healthy baby or not.

If this baby is going to die of a desiese 2 yeras or even 5 years after its birth than yes abortion should be ok... But as caspian ji says "about absolute" killing is wrong....

So this subject as it boils down (but franlkly never doese as it is ongoing debate) to it the end is the morality of the person that is doing and the REASON behind their intantions.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM