• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure A Suit With No Chunni

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
What do you do when you are given a salwar kameez that doesn't have a chunni?

Do you just wear a white scarf with it? Would you not wear the suit? Would you try and find some fabric the same colour as the salwar?

Thanks
Ishna

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hmm, coordinating chunni...

My fashion sense and ability to colour co-ordinate is so abysmal even my husband is better at it than I am. I've worn the same type of outfit (black shoes, black pants, black shirt) to work for 7 years because I'm too afraid to buy anything different incase I look silly. :kaurfacepalm:

And you're asking me to coordinate the bright colours of a salwar kameez?! Aaahhh!! *dies*

I think I'll take the suit to a shop and ask some who does have a sense for these things. Or just put them in the too hard basket.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Hmm, coordinating chunni...

My fashion sense and ability to colour co-ordinate is so abysmal even my husband is better at it than I am. I've worn the same type of outfit (black shoes, black pants, black shirt) to work for 7 years because I'm too afraid to buy anything different incase I look silly. :kaurfacepalm:

And you're asking me to coordinate the bright colours of a salwar kameez?! Aaahhh!! *dies*

I think I'll take the suit to a shop and ask some who does have a sense for these things. Or just put them in the too hard basket.

Don't you dare put it in the "too hard basket"! This isn't too hard.

Asking shop people for help is a great idea. You get good advice and they feel important. Or you could take a picture and post it here and we could all jump in.

Or get one liked this. It would go with anything. Yes, even your all-black work clothes. I want her chunni! If she were anywhere near me, she'd have to hold onto it very tight or it'd be on me, not her.

harleen-kaur.jpg

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Oohh good idea, I'll take pictures! It will be fun. :D

My problem you see is that all these lovely aunties at the Gurdwara are giving me suits but some of them don't have chunnis. I'm going to have suits coming out of me ears soon!

They're probably doing it because, like my work clothes, I've got my favourite salwar kameez which I wear almost every Sunday - they probably think I don't have any more hehehe.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
What do you do when you are given a salwar kameez that doesn't have a chunni?

The problem here is the 'giver'.
Since they gave you something incomplete !!
I find this way of giving the most damaging to anybody.
Since, most of my problems in youth were all down to being a receiver of 'incomplete goods'
The emotional scars are still there !
I'm talking about how frustrated I would get as a child to receive fancy toys and devices at birthdays, christmas...etc.. and then only to open the packages and find that no batteries were included.
....Just thinking about it brings me great distress and I still have problems when in the store and the two voices are fighting inside my head of whether it should be 'Ever ready, Duracell or Energizer' !!!

I totally understand how distressing it is deciding on whether the suit was meant for a black,white,purple or two coloured chuni.

LESSON TO LEARN- and what i've learnt !!!
-ALways give your gift in complete completeness !!
I always make the extra effort to install all batteries in all the kids toys before wrappng them up.
I always buy my wifes matching shoes,hand-bags,bracelets and belts..etc..
Yes... she has as many matching belts and bags as shoes and hats.

As for what colour you choose, then that is your own personal choice.
Personally, when I am shopping for my menswear and I want some real advice on what looks good or not, I always tend to shop in a place where the 'well dressed 'gay boy' works !
I also find that these trendy gay men can also advise on womens wear and co-ordination much better than female assistants !!

So, I'm afraid that my 'hetero' advice would be completely useless !

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Oohh good idea, I'll take pictures! It will be fun. :D

My problem you see is that all these lovely aunties at the Gurdwara are giving me suits but some of them don't have chunnis. I'm going to have suits coming out of me ears soon!

Isn't it great how the aunties do this?? I have the same here! They keep giving me suits and now jewelry sets too!

I'd say just look online GoSikh has plain chunnis in a bunch of different colours for about 12.00 each if I remember correctly...

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Luckyji said:
Since they gave you something incomplete !!

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just not sure what to do. :)

Luckyji said:
I always buy my wifes matching shoes,hand-bags,bracelets and belts..etc..

Wow, nice! :D

Adminji, those are some serious dupattas! Very exciting! I will upload some photos when I'm home again.

Akashaji, I only discovered the GoSikh website yesterday do it's funny you should mention it today! Synchronicity perhaps...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Ishna ji,

Many people wear Salwaar-Kameez without chunnis at social functions. This is just another twist on the same basic idea which originated in Afghanistan hundreds of years ago and still is the fashion staple in that part of the world including Pakistan. The changes are subtle. Longer shorter Kameezes, large or tight Salwaars and these things get recycled after some years.

When one thinks about chunni with this suit, one only thinks of it when visiting Gurdwaras where head covering is the must, not in the social gatherings. Chunniless suits are Mode-de-Vie there.

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM