• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Slightly Absurd Question

Canada

SPNer
Jun 12, 2014
Making Sikhi 'fashionable' by including practices from another religion, that go against the basic teachings of Sikhi... well that's just wrong.

I completely agree; it just seems as though that's the way to present things to the west, yea? Yoga and Buddhism with Oprah's tea, as an example :singhfacepalm:

You are quite right about the pollution in cities - but we have no intention on going to major cities. We are not city-folk nor do we want to be in any other country. With that said.. a large part of our future goals involves living with the earth, as farmers... so perhaps Punjab will not be the best place.
There's always areas closer to the mountains which should be less affected; rain water from up high and whatnot. Ground water doesn't typically travel vertically, at least not hundreds of feet! :)

Thanks again.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
With that said.. a large part of our future goals involves living with the earth, as farmers... so perhaps Punjab will not be the best place.

As absurd as it may seem, hill states are not exactly the right place for a foreigner to settle in India. Firstly, without a permanent Indian citizenship and a domicile from the State Govt (which is hard to obtain and requires a few years of living in the state before it is issued, if at all), you'll unable to purchase or lease a property. Secondly, the people there are not exactly known for their hospitality, if you know what I mean. Thirdly, agricultural facilities (irrigation, grain markets, shellers and all) are not up to the mark in the mountaineous regions (I can vouch for Himachal atleast on that count).

In fact, if at all you want to settle in a rural area, I think Punjab is the place you should exactly be. Plus it is also safe as a Westerner and a Sikh to be there, atleast comparatively than the other states.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Punjab was a bit better as far as the air... I didn't mind Chandigarh so much but for farming, I was told over there that there are high amounts of bad things in the soil like {censored}nic, and actually radioactive stuff too!

Punjab has had its share of tragedy stemming from the fallouts of the Green Revolution imposed on it by the Central Govt, with excessive use of fertilizers, pesticides and near-total decimation of its natural ecology. But recently, atleast a few people have woken up to care for the ecosystem and practise organic farming, though it will take years of relentless efforts to reverse the damage already done. Activists like Umendar Dutt have done a lot of groundwork in this field. You can read more at: www.khetivirasatmission.org/

Canada

SPNer
Jun 12, 2014
As absurd as it may seem, hill states are not exactly the right place for a foreigner to settle in India. Firstly, without a permanent Indian citizenship and a domicile from the State Govt (which is hard to obtain and requires a few years of living in the state before it is issued, if at all), you'll unable to purchase or lease a property. Secondly, the people there are not exactly known for their hospitality, if you know what I mean. Thirdly, agricultural facilities (irrigation, grain markets, shellers and all) are not up to the mark in the mountaineous regions (I can vouch for Himachal atleast on that count).

In fact, if at all you want to settle in a rural area, I think Punjab is the place you should exactly be. Plus it is also safe as a Westerner and a Sikh to be there, atleast comparatively than the other states.

So it's dangerous in other states?

Punjab has had its share of tragedy stemming from the fallouts of the Green Revolution imposed on it by the Central Govt, with excessive use of fertilizers, pesticides and near-total decimation of its natural ecology. But recently, atleast a few people have woken up to care for the ecosystem and practise organic farming, though it will take years of relentless efforts to reverse the damage already done. Activists like Umendar Dutt have done a lot of groundwork in this field. You can read more at: www.khetivirasatmission.org/

There are also plans on a national level in agroforestry to cover 33% of India in Forests; containing food, lumber and (third thing I'm forgetting at this moment).

Thanks

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
So it's dangerous in other states?
Its safe in big cities, but in rural areas it is extremely difficult for a Sikh, more so if you are a Westerner. Law and order is not so tightly maintained in rural areas.

There are also plans on a national level in agroforestry to cover 33% of India in Forests; containing food, lumber and (third thing I'm forgetting at this moment).

Thanks

One tip for understanding India: never trust Govt announcements :D Existing forests and farmlands are being converted to residential apartments and colonies on a daily basis and you are expecting 33% of India to be covered in forests? No sane-minded Indian will believe this joke.

I dont want to put you off or something like that, but the harsh truth is that developing countries like India dont work the Western System way you are adept to. I suggest you to take a holiday tour to India and know the reality yourself before taking any extreme decision.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
If farming was not such the issue, and you didn't mind a city... Chandigarh is really beautiful! There is a huge rose garden there that would be beautiful to walk through each day, the city is well laid out and not too overcrowded like Delhi. And as I said, the air quality is much better than Delhi as well.

Truth be told, I really liked Chandigarh and I could easily live there...

Next up I will see how Srinagar is like in Kashmir, and if things work out for me how I hope, I might end up there part time (and part time in Canada) like 6 months there 6 months here... You can actually get Tourist Visa pretty easily and live there up to 6 months at a time... but you can't work.

Srinagar (and kashmir in general) looks a lot like Canadian landscape.. particularly around BC. My only worry in Kashmir is the tension between Muslim / Sikh / Hindu... and the history of some political unrest there. Seems to be somewhat better now though than it used to be. At least the harsh travel warnings have been removed.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I hope they can bring it back... I thought Punjab was very beautiful driving through! I loved seeing so many big majestic weeping willow trees (my favourite tree!) lining the highways etc. It's a very beautiful place, I just hope the soil can recover for farming.

Canada

SPNer
Jun 12, 2014
Its safe in big cities, but in rural areas it is extremely difficult for a Sikh, more so if you are a Westerner. Law and order is not so tightly maintained in rural areas.

One tip for understanding India: never trust Govt announcements :D Existing forests and farmlands are being converted to residential apartments and colonies on a daily basis and you are expecting 33% of India to be covered in forests? No sane-minded Indian will believe this joke.

I dont want to put you off or something like that, but the harsh truth is that developing countries like India dont work the Western System way you are adept to. I suggest you to take a holiday tour to India and know the reality yourself before taking any extreme decision.

Well that sucks! ahah.. and of course we plan to visit before making a real decision.

If farming was not such the issue, and you didn't mind a city... Chandigarh is really beautiful! There is a huge rose garden there that would be beautiful to walk through each day, the city is well laid out and not too overcrowded like Delhi. And as I said, the air quality is much better than Delhi as well.

Truth be told, I really liked Chandigarh and I could easily live there...

Next up I will see how Srinagar is like in Kashmir, and if things work out for me how I hope, I might end up there part time (and part time in Canada) like 6 months there 6 months here... You can actually get Tourist Visa pretty easily and live there up to 6 months at a time... but you can't work.

Srinagar (and kashmir in general) looks a lot like Canadian landscape.. particularly around BC. My only worry in Kashmir is the tension between Muslim / Sikh / Hindu... and the history of some political unrest there. Seems to be somewhat better now though than it used to be. At least the harsh travel warnings have been removed.

Yes, we are very worried about the areas of unrest too.. especially as westerners. We are very much against large cities.. a small town would be OK.

Thanks for all the information.. it's impossible to find out anything elsewhere it seems. I am not yet deterred from going to a gurmat school though! :)

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
...We want to live in a warm climate, with better food, modest & simple people, and we want to live in a rural area; this is important, not in cities!
India has large-scale agroforestry projects we'd also like to get involved with. I am aware that every country has its issues, and some of you think it is a bad idea to move to India/Punjab etc... but that's why I'm here asking what areas are friendly to foreigners wanting to learn and immigrate...

Based on the way you are writing about it, it's clear that you have a romanticized notion of what life in India is like, even in the rural areas.

Maybe you should go to India for a visit, that may dispel some of your illusions.

I don't even know what you mean by "friendly to foreigners". Maybe you're thinking of places like Goa, where tourists come to vacation and spend lots of money, thus driving the local economy.

You might be able to find the kind of ashram you are looking for, but I guarantee you that they won't be practicing Sikhi, because Sikhi is not about sitting inside an ashram chanting mantras and doing yoga (whatever kind).

But that's ok. Sikhi is not for everybody. You will find thousands of baba's and guru's and mahant's when you go to India, each will be running their own dera/ashram and I'm sure you'll be able to find one that suits your requirements.

As far as the information you're looking for, it's simple. Go to the Indian embassy, apply for a visitor visa, buy your plane tickets (most likely you will fly in to New Delhi first), and start packing. If you're that serious, as you keep claiming, then go ahead and go for a visit. You'll make local contacts who can guide you to ashrams and etc.

All the best. I do hope you find what you're looking for. And in the meanwhile, that you don't lose the game in the gamble.

Good Luck!
AoG

Nov 23, 2010
I only came here to ask for the location of a westerner-friendly Gurmat school in India anyway! Thanks!
Canada ji,
Asking questions is great . That's what this site is for.
Making insulting gross generalizations is not. Like calling the States the "worst country in the world. I was born in the States but I haven't lived there in almost 20 years. I would venture that there are things about the culture and government that I like even less than you do. But I would'nt call it the worst Country in the world.
As for implying that people in the west are so shallow that they need something to be "fashionable" for it to be attractive. It's an insult for all the westerners at this site. I wouldn't even venture to say that about the followers of YB and I know quite a few.
I find many very sincere just misguided as to what the teachings of Guru ji really are.
Being misguided is not something that is peculiar to the West. I think you'll find many more people born to Sikh families that know precious little about Sikhi.
As for Yb Brand Kundalini Yoga. I'm a certified Instructor and my advise is; don't waste your time. It is absolute crap that does more harm to your body than good. From the stand point of kineseology it's a disaster. Yb invented his "kundalini Yoga" to make a buck and then blamed the Sikh Gurus .
You seem to have the attitude that the West is all bad and the East is all good. Do yourself a favor and get over it.
As for original Yoga here's a link for a good article
http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/living/not-as-old-as-you-think

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM