• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Sikh Without His Flowing Hair And Turban

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
"kakkars" as physical objects are nothing but outer distinction..

to me..they are as good as janneau.....pls note..i say"physical objects"

responsibility doesnot come with wearing "physical objects"

it comes with "self realization and contemplation"

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
How sad! Haircuts. Drugs. Shall we also add thuggery?

If my husband and son had cut their hair and shaved their faces, they would likely have been able to survive Delhi '84. We could have run and gotten away. We chose not to, knowing full well what it meant. This was a family decision; I was part of it.

This 'need' to fit in seems to me to be sad, weak and disgusting. Shall I now trade in my kara for a diamond tennis bracelet? After all, some people I know think a kara is cheap and ugly. I feel no need to explain to them the real cost and beauty.

I was always taught that to be a Sikh meant a commitment to be strong and to stand up for what is right and to never, ever give in to injustice - even if that meant to die.

We should ask ourselves why our children are acting so cowardly - let's call it what it is - and do what we can to teach them to be the strong young men and women they should, and can, be.

Please excuse me for speaking in personal terms, but to me, 'I' carries more conviction than 'they.'

singh_man

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
How can you equate haircuts with drugs and thuggery. I can point to a few of kesh-keeping singhs guilty of things like alcohol and in some cases even drugs!

I'm struggling to understand the need to "not fit in". You do NOT need to look physically different from the rest of society. You should focus your energies on being pure and in unison with God from the inside first! Seek the truth through your inner being. This enlightenment should heighten your confidence and enable you to do whatever you like in honest and righteous discord.

Distinghuish yourselve through your conviction, your thoughts, your spiritual energy, your intellect and your kindness. Wearing exterior, physical objects does not necessarily equate you to a more "holy" path - judge a person by not what they wear but by their actions and motivations.

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
judge a person by not what they wear but by their actions and motivations.

Singh_man Ji,
And can you honestly say that you have never judged someone by their outer appearance?
as muich as we say " do not judge to book by its cover" it is the cover that first grabs our attention is it not?
Personally for me, wearing kakaars is not just a "physical thing", each and every kakaar reminds me of what it is i am hear to do in this world, whether it be fighting for justice or rememebering that i am the dust of your feet.
I dont know about you... but manmukhs like me need on going reminders of these things and that is what my kakaars do for me.

bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

sikh78910

SPNer
Oct 10, 2006
the gurus didnt cut their hair so there must be a reason behind not cutting hair- im thinking its to retain energy that u gain when you pray, my head always feels really hot when i do paath. i dont know if its to do with the aura or if its just power that you gain that is talked about in the guru granth sahib but i definitly feel it more as i pray more and more. i heard the kara is also to keep this energy and the wooden comb is to stop static. our religion really has alot to do with this divine energy and the unseen but not many people talk about it. does anyone feel it aswell? i also regularly see a beautiful blue light when i pray and think its probably a presence like a shaheed with me.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
A turbaned man or women who don't know or practise the sikhi way of life, is even worse than someone who doesnt wear it, because the purpose of the image is defeated if their is no substance to the persons spiritual mind.

We have all seen it, someone with a turban in our own community falling into caste, drinking, smoking, or other worse matters. Does that mean everyone who wears a turban is a sikh? Well...

One of the first things anyone new or old to sikhi should learn is that personal knowledge and meditation is first before image.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
1. None of the GURUS..from Guru nanak ji to Guru Gobind Singh ji cut their Hair. Thats a FACT.
2.None of the other " Sikhs " cut hair...anyone is welcome to cite any reference from any janamsakhi/historical source to prove..say Bhai mardana..or Bhai manjh.or any other Bhai of Guru Ji's time CUT their Hair. It was VOLUNTARY...but everyone followed it !!! There must be a REASON guys ?? what was it ?? open question to hair cutters.
3.To cite long haired Singhs drinking and smoking etc is a totally shitty reasoning...dont we have thousands of "dirty cops"...is there any police dept anywhere that ahs decreed...too many dirty cops..NO MORE POLICE UNIFORMS from now on..all street clothes !!! Does the "responsibility" of a Law Officer coem with his UNIFORM..or from his "heart" ?? Why cant I just wear my STREET CLOTHES and be a GOOD COP ?? From Guru nanak ji to guur teg bahadur ji it was all VOLUNTARY..."home Guards"...Guru Gobind singh ji decided to UNIFORM the KHALSA. ( Any uniformed Khalsa not true to its ideals is a "dirty cop"..as easy as that...find fault elsewhere.
4. anybody know how the SIKHS of say Guru hargobind Ji were differentiated from the Mughal soldiers....how did the SIKHS of Guru gobind singh prior to 1699 differ from the Militia of muslims at Bhanganni, and other Battles ?? How did the two sides know each other at close range hand to hand combat ??
IMHO all SIKHS ahd LONG hair and dastaars..only after 1699 Guru gobind Singh ji made it MANDATORY and henceforth the SIKHS...took that to mean Preserving their Hair PREFERABLE TO DEATH rather than cut hair. That is why NOT a SINGLE SIKH..man woman or even CHILD cut hair to save LIVES....i doubt every single one was an AMRITDHAREE...but they all were long haired...and preferred DEATH to cutting hair. Not a single account mentions REMOVAL of Kirpan/karra/kachera..etc etc...BUT REMOVAL of HAIR is preferred to DEATH in every case..so whats the "bread" ?? is it just EXTERNAL ?? i dont think so....after all if ti was just external.only a fool would DIE rather than cut hair temporarilya nd live to fight another day... we must be rather "high on self delusion/self hypnosis" to call ourselves "modern and intelligent"..and call those who died rather than cut their hair as "fools who died for EXTERNAL SHOW" ?? give me a break guys...go cut it if thats what you wnat..BUT please dont call it EXTERNAL SHOW !! NO WAY. "Internal contemplation blah blah blah" is a lot of bull as GURBANI gives Solid Proof that even the GREAT GODS like Shivji, Brahma, Ganesh, Krishan, Rishis and Sages and Emperors and Kings..ALL FAILED agaisnt KAAM, KRODH, LOBH MOH Hnakaar etc....mere humans like you and me delude ourselves IF we claim that we have "conquered"..evils INTERNALLY..while the simple NATURAL ACT of growing hair causes us so much PAIN and SUFFERING !! take a break guys..get a hold on yourself...SIKHI is Game of LOVE and DEMANDS YOUR HEAD ON YOUR PALM !! Sir dhar gali meri ayo...who can claim he can Give his head..But needs so badly to cut his hair..so "bloody hot man !! I cant stand it..BUT I can Sit on the Hot Plate just like Guru Arjun ?? easy man..my internal is COOL !!??? go kid soem oen else...no offen se to anyone..just my thoughts..
Gyani jarnail Singh

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Das was told by his Punjabi Hindu cuson that he should be Sikh by heart and there is not need for 5Ks or Amritdhair thing.Das use to get rakhi tied from her and beheld her as sister as per Hindu faith.

Das asked her that can a person sleep with the lady physically and and yet with mind remain brother to her?

Gurmat says what is in mind should come on ground.If we are form of Ten Guru,then we should have physical proof.

That sister said that das should have been a lawyer.

Anyway agree to Darcy(lionchild) that people without knowldge of iota of Gurmat,fluting untied bearded,not eating meat,and harping about amrit and rituals realted to Maryada are even worse for Gurmat then those who drink etc. As they do wrong preaching of Gurmat.

May force un Sikh rituals of practicising Sikhs so that they(those who have been bullied) may get fed up of faith and leave it alotagather.

They are main culprit of Apostacy.

Das was fortunate that das ,when came into contact with such guys,had people to guide him correctly and das undid harm before it could have happend to the mind of Das.

On this site itself das got a good guidance from our respected Gyani Jarnail Singh Ji,S.Amarpal Singh Ji(in some thread das started with questions being asked and these tow Sikhs guided das correctly).Das will nenver forget the favor they did for das and will reamin indebted for them for whole life.Another guide who gided das is S. Surjeet Singh Ji of Delhi.

And Das was made libral from fanatic by team of Sanatan Sikhs of UK.

So we need good knowledgeable Sikhs and not the any tom {censored} and harry who is more a Brahmin in guise of Sikhs .

singh_man

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Excuse my ignorance as I am a seeker and learner like everyone else - but - Gyani Ji - is there proof that none of the Guru's cut their hair? Are there specific reasons as to why the hair is not cut - besides identity and devotion?

HK_Fateh

SPNer
Dec 11, 2006
The only stand these clean-shavens seem to take on the entire situation is whether or not the Sikhs in full (physical) form living up to the true 'sikhism' by being Sikhs internally too. Dear distanced sisters and brothers, please try and know that the Sikhs with a lot of vices calling for cure are not always called 'complete' sikhs either! But, Sikhsim is all about progressing and grdauating from one level to another. If you continue to cut your hair and shave off beards, you are not even eligible to enter Grade I of Sikhism, for every school (of thought) has a fixed uniform code. No matter if you are an outstanding pupil, if you don't don your assigned uniform, you will still not be liked or accepted by the school or its people. An ideal student needs to be complete in all senses, and only then will he be promoted to a higher level. pls. don't try to bend the school rules, just coz you want to look a part of today's society. This school was built up to produce students different from all, the ones who could lead! And of course, the leaders look different, coz they ARE different from the masses, yet they know how to take along the masses and teach them a thing or two for life!!!!!!! :)

Veeru

SPNer
Jun 27, 2004
H K Fateh Ji,

If keeping hair was the first grade, what grade of the School, you are talking about, are you in today?

What's the point of standing out? What is that a Sikh supposed to represent while standing out?

singh_man

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Sorry but the school example is a poor one. I can be a pure and honest person and recite the words of Gurbani and still feel complete and at peace with God - even with my shaved head! Understanding the philosophies and messages of our Guru's and respecting our fellow brethren adds more to my "completeness" than does me keeping my hair.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Just want to explore all angles.

KS Singh

SPNer
Dec 13, 2006
There's no doubt that there are more sikh children and young men without flowing hair nowadays. However I predict there will be a new trend where when a sikh male reaches a certain age he will keep uncut hair - this will be the norm. So the heads/leaders of the males will more often than not have a beard and turban. I have to say that materialistic people are afraid of growing and looking old however a senoir Amirtdhari Sikh male as the most regal and gracious look I have ever seen when you compare older males - anywhere in the world.

As for the younger Amirtdhari males... all us 'monays' always feel respect for them and know deep down inside that we should be following them. They are Princes amongst boys and we do respect them, even though we don't always let it be known.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

Generaly monas think that being Amrtidhari is impracticle in present day life.It is not so as mnay amritdhairs,who tend to act ritualy do not know much about Gurmat.

Amritdhari is genraly termed as humble gyani type.But fact is that it is not the fault of Mona but those who have made ritualism for Amritdhari as big issue.

Being Amritdhari is only one stage to be Khalsa.And yes Amritdhari can live in any adverse condition and that include suruvival techniques in Amry,where we may have to drink the soup of crow as our meal.

HK_Fateh

SPNer
Dec 11, 2006
PCJS Ji
If keeping hair was the first grade, what grade of the School, you are talking about, are you in today?

What's the point of standing out? What is that a Sikh supposed to represent while standing out?

I might not have reached a very high grade by keeping my form unaffected, but I am sure trying to get THERE. As for my grade, I would rather leave the judgement to the respectable and venerable elders of the school rather than me self-judging my level.

When I speak of standing out, I picture the following:
Being a part of today's society, yet having courage to your convitions that make you so 'different'... looking 'different' from them all, yet being the one people would love to get to know more... living by your beliefs with confidence, yet sending the vibes of friendliness and oneness, and most importantly, not feeling intimidated by what 'others' are doing and falling for it by calling it 'my life, my choice!' attitude...developing a persona that oozes confidence, and not shame for looking different.

It is very easy to flow with the current, but the real challange comes when you flow against it and yet come out a winner.

Sorry but the school example is a poor one.
Sorry Singh Man, for a poor example, but I don't mind any of it as long as I have got my point across!

Veeru

SPNer
Jun 27, 2004
PCJS Ji

I might not have reached a very high grade by keeping my form unaffected, but I am sure trying to get THERE. As for my grade, I would rather leave the judgement to the respectable and venerable elders of the school rather than me self-judging my level.

- Why not leave everybody's judgement upto the highest judge of all?

Since you claim to know for sure other people's grade in school, you must know what grade you belong in, don't you think? Does it really make sense to tell others that they failed when you have not idea about yourself?

When I speak of standing out, I picture the following:
Being a part of today's society, yet having courage to your convitions that make you so 'different'... looking 'different' from them all, yet being the one people would love to get to know more...

Why is it important to look different when you are part of the society? We are recognized by our character not by the look.

living by your beliefs with confidence, yet sending the vibes of friendliness and oneness,

Why do you think someone with short hair doesn't do this? Maybe your assumption is people cut their for lack of beliefs. That might be true in some cases. But some people object to many things happening among Sikhs today. There are also people who believe that keeping hair has no spiritual value, when there are things like corruption, bigotry and superiority complex are attached. It also lacks logic as well when we say it's OK to kill animals to eat and yet it isn't OK to cut hair.

So for me, keeping hair would only make sense if I became spiritual enough where I knew that cutting hair would affect me spiritually.

and most importantly, not feeling intimidated by what 'others' are doing and falling for it by calling it 'my life, my choice!' attitude

Well do you think this is their life and their choice and why do you think they are out there to intimidate you?

...developing a persona that oozes confidence, and not shame for looking different.

Once again, there are people who cut hair not because of lack of confidence, instead due to certain beliefs.

It is very easy to flow with the current, but the real challange comes when you flow against it and yet come out a winner.

That's the challenge we monas are feeling in Sikh community today. We could grow hair and not feel the resistance but who would remind them of what they are doing wrong?

Sorry Singh Man, for a poor example, but I don't mind any of it as long as I have got my point across!

You may have gotten the point across but were you successful in getting the right point across? The only point crossed my mind is that you are judgemental of others and you don't know where you stand, thus this behaviour goes against spiritual wisdom.

HK_Fateh

SPNer
Dec 11, 2006
Dear PCJS Ji

fateh!

Well, to all that, let me say this spiritually unwise and overjudgemental in nature girl didn't want to blow her own trumpet, nor did she want to leave a message of 'either you live as a Sikh, or you don't live at all!'. I wait for a day when I become wise enough to convince the world of why all that Sikh's code and conduct say is not baseless or out-of-times. I seek Waheguru's blessings for that.

For now, all I can say is 99% of those who cut their hair etc. do that due to lack of confidence in their looks (ur reason cud b different, as an exception), and then start digging out thousands other justifications for their doing. This is not only going against spiritual wisdom, but also against basic moral ethics that a person of any religion(or not) is expected to follow any which day.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM