• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Decision On The Razor's Edge

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
@Ishna ji

hair has absolutely no value in my personal heritage being a white Aussie with English/Scottish/German blood in me

Your hair is as much a part of your English/Scottish/German heritage as your blood. It's all about connecting with it.

@Harry ji

However, I do believe that women who have facial hair issues should seek some assistance rather than suffer quietly, if they so feel

Question is assistance of a barber or Guru? To be or not to be?

@Scarlet ji

We are equal but different physically

The allowances are being made on girls after the men have pressurized them, right?

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Searching said:
I do not mean to say that parents should be forcing their their children to keep unshorn hair but it is the parent's prerogative to instill the Sikh values in their children
Veera I agree with the instill part, it is a duty more than a perogative,my parents cut my hair in the late seventies, my grandfather was very hurt when they did it,because I was the first grandchild to have cut kesh,,I did grow it back when I was twenty but failed because I was a scoundrel,
She is raised as a Sikh by her parents. Last year she told me that she felt so weak during the Navratras (Appox. 10 days long Hindu festival during which one is supposed to fast) that she almost fainted in her office.
To fast like that can't be good for your health,my wife does one ,but one day,once a year, something about moon show has to show up.

Gurmit Singh

SPNer
Jan 29, 2009
In the First Stanza of Japp Jee Sahib, Guru Nanak Sahib raises

Question: "Kiv Sachiara Hoeiya Kiv Kooraiy Tutaiy Paal"?

i.e. How can a person lead the Truthful life, and how can a

person get rid of the veil of false illusion, which prevents

us from realizing the Truth?

Then in the next line, Guru Sahib provides Answer:

"Hukam Razai Chalnaa Nanak Likhia Naal".

Guru Nanak Sahib says that veil of darkness and ignorance could

only be dispelled when we act and obey the Almighty God's Divine

Command i.e. to follow the Laws of Nature from the very beginning

of life by performing the righteous and truthful deeds.

(For the Sikhs (Both Females and Males), I quote the Law of Nature that

when the baby is born, Hair also grow together with other body components

and as such, Sikh families should never cut their Hair - beard, moustaches

and eyebrows, etc.) If any Sikh can't climb the first ladder, how he or she

could be considered as a Sikh?

With best wishes,

Gurmit Singh (Sydney - Australia)

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Sat Sri Akal fellow Australian Gurmit Ji!

The natural law argument comes up against issues such as birth control and medical intervention. You have issues like the fact that your fingernails grow continually (a natural law) but we cut them.

I rationalise keeping hair as part of the uniform of a Sikh as that makes the most sense to me. Part of the Sikh identiy and history, reminders of duty and sacrifice and the standard which has been set.

Simone Maan

SPNer
Jul 8, 2011
HELLO,
The issue raised by you is faced by so many girls not only abroad but in India also. Especially the girls from villages when they move to the cities. But the serious question is what is wrong in maintaining the hygine of the body. As there is mention of not removing hair from underarms. this should be based on the personal chioce of the individual whether he or she wants to remove hair or not. The sikhi is based on how honestly we understand and follow the guru's message. The real crisis these days is that we don't follow what the guru said in his Bani. That is whyn the youth is going astray. the guru gave us commands to keep kesh but never said to become fantics.... Thankswelcomemundalolmundahug

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
SAT SRI AKAAL,

All these conflicts are cause of mind.

"SIKHISM" is away from duality and dual thoughts.

Whether to

consume liquor or not
consume fles or not
keep hair or not

This all are egoist discussions.

"EGO" leads to all kind of discussions on all these topics.

Every mind want's to feel superior over others.

It's role of mind in our body to plan, reason, execute what is in action by our body.

"Exploring negative of others, one's own mind feel high"

If one own self want's to be high, there is sacrifice and effort

Best is to watch one's own action,

and live a elevated life, rather than checking others.

It's small poem which mu own mind say's

Neevan Vekh Man Ucha Bhaya,

Ucha Vekh, Unt naan meliya paaye.

When I saw low action, my mind feels elevated.
But when I see elevated actions, there is no limt.

It's his own self which causes him to enact.

It's inferior feeling of self which leads to many such actions.

No other human can undo this feeling of self.

And if one is trying to do by force one will be inhuman.

"GURU'S BANI" SAYS CHECK OWN SELF

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

Waheguru Ji Khalsa,
Waaheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat sri akaal,

lets feel the reality.

We are discussing high on the topic.

Name one young couple, (now may be old)

man who liked his wife with hairs,
and his female part has not trimmed hair.
He may be unliking.
Its strict discipline

only that couple can say against such event.

Feel the reality,

imbibe "guru's bani in action.

May be reality is harsh.

Bhul chuk maaf,

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Amanji,

Just to touch on your last post, being married to a non sikh, non asian woman, means my attitude to such is going to be different, firstly, as far as other women are concerned, I do not look at any other in the way I look at my wife, so all other women become sisters, mothers or daughters, from that point of view, it really does not matter to me what women look like, they could have beards down to their knees, it really would not make any difference in the way that I interact with them, or how I would judge them, they would just be people.

Secondly, I do not know many women that do so much for the sake of their men.It is my wifes wish first and foremost to take whatever action she takes, and she does it for herself, not for me, in the society we live in these days, women are quite empowered, and quite capable of making their own minds up. Yes, I prefer her without a monobrow and hairy legs, but if she decided she would not cut her hair, I would accept it and encourage it, I only feel the way I do because it is HER preference.

From days of long ago, women have removed hair for many reasons, one of which is to look more feminine, for any woman that feels pressured to do this from men, I have much sympathy, but I do not feel we should be pointing the finger at all women that choose to pluck a few hairs and labelling them downtrodden.

What hair removal is to some women, drink is to some men, we do not live in a perfect world, we live in a world of drinking granthis and wedding parties filled with drink, everyone comes to peace with their actions in their own time, forced compliance will not get us anywhere

Gurukameet

SPNer
Feb 16, 2011
Most women when they reach a certain age, hair just grows on there chin and sides, and in some cases as they grow older, hair just grows. I have seen many elderly women in the Gurdwara with facial hair and I am so proud of them, I love and respect them and their devotion.

In my cases I always kept my hair until I left home then I cut it, it got shorter and shorter, then I went to US saw the white Sikhs keeping there hair and did the same, but still kept removing my facial hair, then took Amrit two years ago and have not cut my hair since, even facial hair, but as mentioned, when you reach a certain age, hair just grows on the chin!! Most of the time, it does not bother me as I am married, and my husband has never cut his hair and it does not bother him either.

The surprising FACT and it is true, I have facial hair and bushy eyebrows, hairy legs and arms and have been complimented on my looks, honestly, it is true. It not what you look like, but your projection, your inner beauty sometimes outshines your outer looks. My inner beauty is only because I took Amrit and my insides have been mostly but not all cleaned out of rubbish.

I have been to beauty parlours and sometimes I see women with so much done on there face, make up eyebrows and they still look miserable and it shows, it is not attractive if they are not happy inside and it shows no matter how much you cover it up.

I have been told by family it is ok to remove facial hair etc. and even I am sometimes tempted, but I know I will lose that hold and dependence I have on my Guru and in the end there is no one else to hold on to who will give you that support.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Most women when they reach a certain age, hair just grows on there chin and sides, and in some cases as they grow older, hair just grows. I have seen many elderly women in the Gurdwara with facial hair and I am so proud of them, I love and respect them and their devotion.

In my cases I always kept my hair until I left home then I cut it, it got shorter and shorter, then I went to US saw the white Sikhs keeping there hair and did the same, but still kept removing my facial hair, then took Amrit two years ago and have not cut my hair since, even facial hair, but as mentioned, when you reach a certain age, hair just grows on the chin!! Most of the time, it does not bother me as I am married, and my husband has never cut his hair and it does not bother him either.

The surprising FACT and it is true, I have facial hair and bushy eyebrows, hairy legs and arms and have been complimented on my looks, honestly, it is true. It not what you look like, but your projection, your inner beauty sometimes outshines your outer looks. My inner beauty is only because I took Amrit and my insides have been mostly but not all cleaned out of rubbish.

I have been to beauty parlours and sometimes I see women with so much done on there face, make up eyebrows and they still look miserable and it shows, it is not attractive if they are not happy inside and it shows no matter how much you cover it up.

I have been told by family it is ok to remove facial hair etc. and even I am sometimes tempted, but I know I will lose that hold and dependence I have on my Guru and in the end there is no one else to hold on to who will give you that support.

Beautiful post bhenji, I wish there were more people tuned to spirit as you clearly are, more strength to you!

You are clearly at peace with your kesh, and with your Guru. My ruck is with those that live as you do under sufferance, with doubt in their hearts,
unsure of what exactly they are trying to prove, you know, you understand, many do not, they either need time, or knowledge, but at the end of the day, some of us need to reach our conclusions after treading both sides of the grass.

If you do not know exactly why you are doing something, or if it is a cross to bear, rather than a facet to cherish, is it worth doing?

Gurukameet

SPNer
Feb 16, 2011
I have two boys one aged 5 and one aged 9 and they really fully don't understand the reasons, why they wear pakta, but they would never cut their hair, it is not a burden to them. They know they are Sikhs and SIkhs do not cut their hair, simple.

You only put whatever reasoning you what and you can make up all sorts of reasoning against it, or you just simply accept and move on with your life and focus on what is important. One of my old best friends is a Hindu and like she said there are more important things to worry about than your appearance, and in the end God would want you to focus on supporting and helping others, rather than be obsessed by your appearance. Yes, smarten up, so you look presentable, that is what is necessary, but see the bigger picture as well, there are more important things in life:)

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
SAT SRI AKAAL,

When one or one's don't deviate path, looking at others, one mind has shed duality.

And than its reproduction.

And mind and body feels united.

Otherwise our sense organs, when sense the outer world, wants to bring change in mind.

When one is formed.

One never changes.

"GURU'S SIKH" "KHALSA" are formed.

Same inside same outside.

Mind and boy are united.
No conflict inside hence nor outside.
Inner peace dwells
There is progress

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

C Kirpal

SPNer
Oct 7, 2011
Regarding using or not using razor...

Sikh religion is a very recent, modern and eye opener religion. Founder Guru Nanak Dev ji walked on a different enlightened path which was against any stupid blind Brahminical set rules. It was to show the path of freedom from age old false beliefs and rituals.

If we sikhs force ourselves and other people to strictly follow only superficial rules without realising that the inner aspect is still not SIKH and only outer appearance is being focussed upon then we are walking toward another blind path which after few hundred years will be like any other fanaticism filled faith . Everybody knows what happened to all old religions. All later keepers of faith, in order to keep power and people in their own clutches destroyed the very essence of all those great faiths. Spread the true meaning of sikhism, spread the meanings of Guru Granth Sahib. Let us not just read and memorize like poarrots and let us not worship it like IDOLS. Do something so that everyday few lines of Guru Granth Sahib ji is translated and all of us can read and understand it. Keeping the appearance will automatically come with PRIDE AND REVERENCE and not by gorce or Guilt.

I have not read Guru Granth Sahib ji but I always remember the first word 'Ek Omkar' which actually has the summary of whole of the Granth and I think of any spiritual book ever created in the world.

But I wonder that why among followers of sikhs we see cast-ism. Why any true sikh doesnt drop the sir names.... I have heard that in foreign countries sikh people have different Gurudwaras !!!!!! Why??????

Why followers of Gurus talk about marriages in Jaat- Biradri ?????

Why the so called keepers of sikh faith only talk about not cutting hair BUT NEVER TALK ABOUT NOT USING SIR NAMES ????

Why money collected in Gurudwaras is not spent on world class FREE schools in every locality where not only Sikh children can study but any other children can study without any religious pressure of any kind. Why are there only few schools and colleges where only dirty politics work.

I have seen Gurudwars at distance of 1 Km on Delhi Amritsar route but NO SCHOOLS ???? And so called white bearded white kurta pajama dressed males using foulest of language ???? Are such superficially decorated people deserve to be called SIKHS??????

Waheguru ji ka KHALSA , Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Gurukameet

SPNer
Feb 16, 2011
Why money collected in Gurudwaras is not spent on world class FREE schools in every locality where not only Sikh children can study but any other children can study without any religious pressure of any kind. Why are there only few schools and colleges where only dirty politics work.

I have seen Gurudwars at distance of 1 Km on Delhi Amritsar route but NO SCHOOLS ???? And so called white bearded white kurta pajama dressed males using foulest of language ???? Are such superficially decorated people deserve to be called SIKHS??????

Waheguru ji ka KHALSA , Waheguru ji ki Fateh

You are right, outward appearance is no guarantee of inner peace, which following the teachings of our Gurus gives us. Actions always speak louder than words/appearances etc..

When I went to the Golden temple about 14 years old, I was disgusted at the amount of poverty immediately outside the temple complex, when the temple has an enormous income. What use is all the gold and money and langar, when people were literally, sleeping on the roads starving. What use is it to dress and adhere to all the requirements of faith when your heart and hand does not reach out to support others. What use is then religion, if it is not to serve mankind?

Having said that adhering to your faith does gives you strength:sippingcoffee:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
SAT SRI AKAAL,

Learned know this, but some one has to correct,

As self, and treating everyone as one's self.

Critics and Negative one can observe and speak but it will not resolve.

But right action and path is need of the hour.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Our heritage

I am not suggesting that a Sikh "must" keep hair to be a Sikh. I am rather suggesting that a Sikh "must" chose kesh without interference, consciously and independently. And when the choice is made, remembering that, whatever the choice, our heritage defines why hair/kesh defines who we are as Sikhs. What else are we willing to sacrifice, to give up, when we give up our hair?

Bhai Taru Singh lived with his mother and younger sister at village Pahoola and did farming for his living. His father had died while he was still young. It had become a part of his life to speak with love, serve everyone who came to him and help those in need.

One day, Rahim Bakhsh, a Muslim fisherman stayed at his house to spend the night. Before going to bed, he talked to Bhai Taru Singh, "The Commander of Patti had forcibly taken away my daughter, when I complained to the Governor about him, he got me thrown out of the court. Nobody listens to the complaints of the poor in this regime." Bhai Taru Singh said to him, 'Your complaint has not been listened by the Governor but it has been heard in the house of Guru Nanak. Your daughter will reach you in a few days."

After some days a squad of Singhs passing that way, met Bhai Taru Singh. Bhai Taru Singh told them about the trouble of Rahim Bakhsh. That squad raided Patti and returned his daughter to him. The Commander of Patti was killed in that raid. Khushala, the headman of village Pahoola, informed Zakria Khan, the Governor, the secret behind this happening. The Governor sent soldiers to arrest Bhai Taru Singh. Bhai Taru Singh said to the soldiers who had come to arrest him, "You have come to take me away on the orders of your master. I, bound by the orders of my Master, cannot let you go without meals." The soldiers acceded to his request and after taking meals, arrested him and presented him before the Governor.

Hoping that Bhai Taru Singh will help in arresting other Singhs if he embraces Islam, the Governor said to him, "All your sins can be pardoned if you become a Muslim and cut and give me those long hair of yours so that I may make a string of them for weaving my bed."

Bhai Taru Singh said, "I shall keep my faith with these hair and you shall be controlled by my shoes and with these you will die." The Governor was beside himself with rage on hearing this. He got Bhai Taru Singh mounted on rotating wheels of torture and then from a cobbler got his scalp removed so that hair may not grow again. After that he got him thrown in a ditch.

More....

Read more: http://www.unp.me/f15/salute-to-great-sikh-martyr-bhai-taru-singh-g-19222/#ixzz1amxbnjqk

So now what I would like to add. Bhai Taur Singh made his decision as a morally independent soul, even though his decision led to his torture and eventually his death. Today, Sikh women are in a sense mentally and morally tortured by social manipulation that creates difficult dilemmas about kesh. But Muslims are not their torturers. The saying goes: "Take my head, but do not take my Sikhi." Are they able to freely decide to live within their heritage?

Attachments

• btaru.jpg
    btaru.jpg
    48.2 KB · Reads: 322
Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Scarlet Pimpernell ji

You have recently changed your comments in response to my editorial comments about Sikh heritage in your original message. My message has been removed. Your original words have changed. How you have changed your words in no way addresses my point.

Now to repeat. This thread is not about an individual's spiritual journey. It is not about the Formless Creator's intentions. It is not about whether one can see armpit hair or not, and if not, what harm to Sikh identity is created. It is not about phyiscal uniformity or the debate between inner and outer spiritual life. It is about the social manipulation that creates a number of difficult dilemmas for Sikh women. It is about their freedom to make choices consistent with their heritage as Sikhs. Without seeing this comment, then my post above makes no sense at all. "Take my head, but do not take my Sikhi." To be able to freely decide to live within one's heritage cannot be underestimated.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Good Day, Lovely Princesses.
You should just hang out with "hippies" - we have unusual tastes (like, I'm completely used to unshaven legs, etc., when dating "hippie" chicks - not that I making a pass at any of you {I might some day, but not now}), habits (Patchoulli in my 'pit hair', on my {long, silver} lion-like manes brush), etc. - you needn't cave into social pressures, or live in a culturally biased state of ill-at-ease-ness, we still love you, and will often think that you're still quite lovely, even if you're a bit 'hairier' than most.
I just hate hearing 'swarthier' act as if they're somehow un-lovely, just because they're not 'blond' of 'fair skinned'!
Be Beautiful!

jssands

SPNer
Jun 10, 2007
I think its the younger generation who has to search INNER-SELF so as to exist in a society where they simply have to compete with others in all sorts...........BE A SIKH AT HEART then FEEL PROUD TO BE A SIKH.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM