• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

17th-century Guru Granth Sahib

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Sikhgiani Ji

I visited the great british museum near Russell square, London about 10-12 years ago. At the time they had a Sikh exhibition running for a few weeks.
They had hundreds of marvellous sikh artifacts including original shastaar and clothing etc from Guru Gobind Singh ji, sahibzadae, Maharaja Ranjt Singh etc.........

I remember the Guru Granth Sahib and Dasam Granth that was there, I believe it to be the same copy that the article mentions.

Unfortunatley it was at that time not complete. I remember a notice that explained something like it was in the process of restoration, as it was in serious need for attention.

If I'm correct, I think that it mentioned that some missing sections had ended up in a museum up north, in Scotland.

I believe that the british sikh education board/council (i think its called. not sure) was to work alongside the museum and library to help with its restoration..

Since then, i'm not sure how they did progress.

I do remember though during the visit how other sikhs that we met were showing anger at the british for stealing and taking these artifacts during the raj.
It is one of the reasons why we have concerns about the authenticity of the Dasam Granth. (another thread is active regarding this matter)

But, on the whole. I think it might have been better that the brits got their hands on these artifacts. As these items may have now received alot better attention than if they ended up in the hands of the indian goverment!! (just, my view and thought)

Sat Kartar
LuckySingh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh veer ji I would trust the British lot more to keep artifacts without change, modification, etc. It is their Royal History too and they have impeccable record of keeping things "au natural" or as original. Of course they do lot of dirty stuff like any Imperial power but I have great confidence in their meticulous record keeping, etc. May end up being a boon in the end. It is quite possible that Indian agents may have infiltrated to do damage or creat doubt, etc., as it is a dirty world in many ways under the facade of "Om Shanti Om".

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM