• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Status
Not open for further replies.

nijjharjatt

Banned
Sep 26, 2009
Reading, United Kingdom
Admin note: Forum member ji - The thread starter has proffered many distortions of Gurbani and Sikh history on this thread. Read with caution.

Hi Brethren,

I am a retired lecturer in Metallurgy and I preach Sikhism and Christianity. I believe that Sikhism is continuation of Christianity and this Harmandir Sahib and the Amrit Srovar are the Replacement of the destroyed Jerusalem Temple and the Bethseda Pool of Mercy. We shouldpreach Gospel in the local language by rendering the exposition of the Parables.

If any one is interested to make documentaries or Films, I can provide the Scripts Free.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Youtube Videos on Sikhism and Christianity.

The thread has been moved to Interfaith Dialogs Rajinder ji. The topic is very interesting and guaranteed to stimulate a lot of heated discussion. I would humbly implore you to avoid any proselytizing of the Christian Gospels, as this can be understood as undermining the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It is a violation of forum rules. If you stay on the path of simlarities and differences between Sikhism and Christianity, then all will be well.

Narayanjot Kaur

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

You are welcome. It is best to be on good terms. :star:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

This is going to be interesting.
We have seen people say Sikh are Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims... and recently on the forum we have had discussions on how Sikhism is like Atheism.
I knew people did say Sikhs are Christians but did not know the basis of their arguments.

I believe that Sikhism is continuation of Christianity and this Harmandir Sahib and the Amrit Srovar are the Replacement of the destroyed Jerusalem Temple and the Bethseda Pool of Mercy. We shouldpreach Gospel in the local language by rendering the exposition of the Parables.

Anyone can believe in anything... the ones with evidence are standing on much firmer ground than those without evidence.

I look forward to your posts.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Bhagat Singh ji

I value evidence as you do but logic also IMHO counts. The Gospels are sacred scriptures of the Christians. Likewise, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj is the sacred scripture of the Sikhs. Here is what I don't understand. If "Sikhism is a continuation of Christianity..." then why preach the Gospels? Why not preach Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Narayanjot Kaur ji,
You couldn't be more right.

I guess, Logic + reasoning + empirical evidence + critical thinking.. are all part of the same bundle for me, which is why I only mention which I think is most important... empirical evidence. :D

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Narayanjot Kaur ji,
You couldn't be more right.

I guess, Logic + reasoning + empirical evidence + critical thinking.. are all part of the same bundle for me, which is why I only mention which I think is most important... empirical evidence. :D

Bhagat ji

Do have a care when valuing empirical evidence over logic. For one thing empirical truths have a habit of changing over time (cf. Structure of Scientific Revolutions). Also, the philosopher Bertrand Russell wrote about the problems with arguments that confuse empirical description with logical explanation. Imagine an argument in which the empirical basis of each premise is empirically true but the conclusion makes no sense.

My example of how this actually works with conspiracy theories: The jet that crashed into the Pentagon on September 11, 2001 was a US -owned and operated craft. Conspiracy theorists point to all sorts of facts (photos, etc.) to make a case that the US government was behind 9/11. However the facts don't fit together in a logical argument.

Premise: The wreckage contained no evidence of Al Qaida terrorists among the dead.
Premise: That very flight had vanished from air control radar screens prior to finding its intended target.
Conclusion: Therefore, the jet crash could not have been part of an Al Qaida terrorist plot, and was more likely a conspiracy on the part of the US government itself.

Then there is the problem of the naturalistic fallacy. See Logical Fallacies Naturalistic Fallacy

"An argument whose premises merely describe the way that the world is, but whose conclusion describes the way that the world ought to be, introduce a new term in the conclusion in just the same way as the above example. If the premises merely describe the way that the world is then they say nothing about the way that the world ought to be. Such factual premises cannot establish any value judgment; you can’t get an ‘ought’ from an ‘is’.
"

My example,

(1) There are many recorded examples of people who met God during a near death experience;
(2) Therefore there is every reason to believe that heaven and hell exist.

To describe things as they are does nothing to prove they way it should be. The argument’s conclusion, then, which is value judgment, cannot be supported by its premises.

Finally, if we move ahead to the thread topic, more problems arise if we apply your Rule For Evidence. :rolleyes: Although those who believe that Jesus of the Gospels is an historical fact, the contemporary evidence for his existence is weak. And most of the evidence offered by believers comes from the centuries following his historical death and/or has serious problems associated with its authenticity.

For lack of evidence the thread could be doomed.

nijjharjatt

Banned
Sep 26, 2009
Reading, United Kingdom

I am so disappointed to see that people do not know what the word Gospel stands for? It stands for Good News of His Word = Bani. Am I right?

Just I have rendered exposition of Moolmanttar and the first stanza of Japji Sahib. Tell me if any one has done the exposition of Sochian Soch na .... line correctly.

Here is the link:-

The playlist was erased. Proselytizing is against forum rules. It also did not navigate to a playlist.

I will put a separate topic on this and others.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I am so disappointed to see that people do not know what the word Gospel stands for? It stands for Good News of His Word = Bani. Am I right?

Just I have rendered exposition of Moolmanttar and the first stanza of Japji Sahib. Tell me if any one has done the exposition of Sochian Soch na .... line correctly.

Here is the link:-

http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?pi=0&ps=20&sf=&sa=0&sq=&dm=0&p=8A8A19A6B0B49245

I will put a separate topic on this and others.

Veer ji

No I respectfullly disagree. Gospel means good news, good tidings, and Bani means "word." There is no implication of "His Word" in Gospel unless you are a Christian and you insert the idea that the news or tidings are good because they are of God's word.

Here is where we will have a problem. The problem is true for any religious tradition that tries to "incorporate" or ingest, assimilate, integrate, devour, or otherwise take Sikh concepts and claim them as part of their tradition. The teachings of Guru Nanak and the subsequent Gurus that make Sikhi uniquely different, and coherent as a distinctive path, get lost in this process of incorporation. So Sikhs get upset because in one fell swoop a history and an identity are lost.

If that is difficult to understand, then ask you self why we always see questions that ask Are Sikhs Hindus? Are Sikhs and Sufis the Same? Are Sikhs Atheists? Now you are suggesting that Sikhs May Also Be Christians. Why do we never see the questions turned in reverse (Are Hindus Sikhs? Are Sufis Sikhs? Are Atheists Sikhs? Are Christians Sikhs?) None of those groups would agree or even be patient with those questions. Yet we Sikhs are subjected to these repeated attempts (sometimes even by those who claim to be Sikhs) to erase our religious identity. And we are expected to be patient and kind about it. Critics are amazed and even outraged when we become angry. Think about what I am saying.

nijjharjatt

Banned
Sep 26, 2009
Reading, United Kingdom

Hi Brother,

I am not a Christian but a Sikh.

Veer ji

No I respectfullly disagree. Gospel means good news, good tidings, and Bani means "word." There is no implication of "His Word" in Gospel unless you are a Christian and you insert the idea that the news or tidings are good because they are of God's word.

Here is where we will have a problem. The problem is true for any religious tradition that tries to "incorporate" or ingest, assimilate, integrate, devour, or otherwise take Sikh concepts and claim them as part of their tradition. The teachings of Guru Nanak and the subsequent Gurus that make Sikhi uniquely different, and coherent as a distinctive path, get lost in this process of incorporation. So Sikhs get upset because in one fell swoop a history and an identity are lost.

If that is difficult to understand, then ask you self why we always see questions that ask Are Sikhs Hindus? Are Sikhs and Sufis the Same? Are Sikhs Atheists? Now you are suggesting that Sikhs May Also Be Christians. Why do we never see the questions turned in reverse (Are Hindus Sikhs? Are Sufis Sikhs? Are Atheists Sikhs? Are Christians Sikhs?) None of those groups would agree or even be patient with those questions. Yet we Sikhs are subjected to these repeated attempts (sometimes even by those who claim to be Sikhs) to erase our religious identity. And we are expected to be patient and kind about it. Critics are amazed and even outraged when we become angry. Think about what I am saying.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada

With due respect: I consider this " bible thumping Sikh gentleman" masquerading as an "undercover" incarnate of "Sadhu Sundar Singh" : ( Sadhu Sundar Singh, a brief biography ) . He is a rejected "preacher of falsehood" of the bridge between Sikhism & Christianity! The likes of him have never been accepted nor allowed to "preach" by the Sikh Sangat / organizations anywhere !

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

With due respect: I consider this " bible thumping Sikh gentleman" masquerading as an "undercover" incarnate of "Sadhu Sundar Singh" : ( Sadhu Sundar Singh, a brief biography ) . He is a rejected "preacher of falsehood" of the bridge between Sikhism & Christianity! The likes of him have never been accepted nor allowed to "preach" by the Sikh Sangat / organizations anywhere !

Thank you Soul_jyot ji -- Your observations coincide exactly with the web site content of forum member nijjarrjatt ji. We are now experiencing deja vu.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Hi Brother,

I am not a Christian but a Sikh.

No, you are NOT. You are a convert to Christianity and pretending to be a Sikh who has no knowledge of Sikhi. Your blatant lie about Sikhi the continuation of Sikhi shows how much you have been brain washed and how lost you are.

You want to discuss your religion, Christianity, then do it on its own. Do not insult it for many devout Christians who believe in the Gospels of Jesus and do not insult Sikhs who know what Sikhi is all about. It is a shame that you do not know either.

If you want to discuss anything about Sikhi or Christianity, do them as stand alone religions.

I have removed my earlier warning to Tejwant ji to debate issues. My decision may not have been even-handed, give the context of the discussion, and I apologize. Narayanjot Kaur.

Tejwant Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

No, you are NOT. You are a convert to Christianity and pretending to be a Sikh who has no knowledge of Sikhi. Your blatant lie about Sikhi the continuation of Sikhi shows how much you have been brain washed and how lost you are.

You want to discuss your religion, Christianity, then do it on its own. Do not insult it for many devout Christians who believe in the Gospels of Jesus and do not insult Sikhs who know what Sikhi is all about. It is a shame that you do not know either.

If you want to discuss anything about Sikhi or Christianity, do them as stand alone religions.

It is a shame that you claim to be an engineer and have lost all reasons.

What are you smoking or what are you on, if I may ask?:)

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant ji,

You are an excellent debate and more than capable of discussing the issues rather than the person.

I would like to know Nijjarji's views on Sikhism, without reference to Christianity.

and why Guruji feels reading the Bible will not bring you liberation:

Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਜੋ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਕਰਿ ਲੀਜੈ ॥੨॥
साधसंगि जो हरि गुण गावै सो निरमलु करि लीजै ॥२॥
Sāḏẖsang jo har guṇ gāvai so nirmal kar lījai. ||2||
One who sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, becomes spotlessly pure. ||2||

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਇਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੜਿਆ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਈ
बेद कतेब सिम्रिति सभि सासत इन्ह पड़िआ मुकति न होई ॥
Beḏ kaṯeb simriṯ sabẖ sāsaṯ inĥ paṛi▫ā mukaṯ na ho▫ī.
One may read all the books of the Vedas, the Bible, the Simritees and the Shaastras, but they will not bring liberation.

ਏਕੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਪੈ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਸੋਈ ॥੩॥
एकु अखरु जो गुरमुखि जापै तिस की निरमल सोई ॥३॥
Ėk akẖar jo gurmukẖ jāpai ṯis kī nirmal so▫ī. ||3||
One who, as Gurmukh, chants the One Word, acquires a spotlessly pure reputation. ||3||

nijjharjatt

Banned
Sep 26, 2009
Reading, United Kingdom

Tejwant ji,

You are an excellent debate and more than capable of discussing the issues rather than the person.

I would like to know Nijjarji's views on Sikhism, without reference to Christianity.

and why Guruji feels reading the Bible will not bring you liberation:

Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਜੋ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਕਰਿ ਲੀਜੈ ॥੨॥
साधसंगि जो हरि गुण गावै सो निरमलु करि लीजै ॥२॥
Sāḏẖsang jo har guṇ gāvai so nirmal kar lījai. ||2||
One who sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, becomes spotlessly pure. ||2||

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਇਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੜਿਆ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਈ
बेद कतेब सिम्रिति सभि सासत इन्ह पड़िआ मुकति न होई ॥
Beḏ kaṯeb simriṯ sabẖ sāsaṯ inĥ paṛi▫ā mukaṯ na ho▫ī.
One may read all the books of the Vedas, the Bible, the Simritees and the Shaastras, but they will not bring liberation.

ਏਕੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਪੈ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਸੋਈ ॥੩॥
एकु अखरु जो गुरमुखि जापै तिस की निरमल सोई ॥३॥
Ėk akẖar jo gurmukẖ jāpai ṯis kī nirmal so▫ī. ||3||
One who, as Gurmukh, chants the One Word, acquires a spotlessly pure reputation. ||3||

Hi,

Well said. The Bible and the Quran are Kataeb. VED KATAEB KAHO MATT JHHOTHHAE ..............

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Randip ji,

Guru fateh.

I do not think you know who this Nijjar Jatt is. He has been around for years trying to spread Christianity. He is a pug wearing convert to Christianity. Hence my bluntness to him because there is no debate with him. I have tried that in the past to no use.:)

Regards

Tejwant Singh

nijjharjatt

Banned
Sep 26, 2009
Reading, United Kingdom

Randip ji,

Guru fateh.

I do not think you know who this Nijjar Jatt is. He has been around for years trying to spread Christianity. He is a pug wearing convert to Christianity. Hence my bluntness to him because there is no debate with him. I have tried that in the past to no use.:)

Regards

Tejwant Singh

btw I am a Nijjhar Jatt and there seems to be no surnames with those who oppose me most. Why?

The Khalsas of Sachae Patshah who gave their heads for the service of humanity have no surnames but they are Singhs. Such Singhs live at the Three True Takhts and not in their family homes or are married.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

We can and should discuss issues and not debate the personalities of posters. As for nijjharjatt ji's long time occupation - we are keeping a close eye on it. Naturally I cannot be online 24/7 and so other moderators will need to make sure that Sri Guru Granth Sahib is not disrespected and that proselytizing does not occur. When offending posts surface, they can be moved to Leaders for discussion or a reprimand can be offered on the thread itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM