• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Learn Punjabi Word-for-Word Translations For Vocabulary

vaapaaraa

SPNer
Jul 15, 2004
thats good idea for learning more gurbani.

I know that word for word is not recommended way of learning more meanings.. because sometimes there is not the exact word.. but there is always a paragraph or a sentence that can be written about it. If something can be expressed in one language it can so be also in another language.

If you have the time sometime.. maybe you can share the meanings of jap ji Sahib. Although rite now im working on the meanings of Jaap Sahib. Ill post a copy here, or maybe email it to you if you want when iam done.

I dont come here on this forums much, I didnt know there is so much more gurbani discussions going on here, then other forums, so il lbe here more often.

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh

NamHariKaur

SPNer
Jun 23, 2005
Eugene Oregon USA
Sat Nam;
Thank you so much for offering to work on Jaap Sahib.
That will be a very great help to me!

I have already typed the 25th Pauri of JapJi for some people that wanted it here in Eugene, so I will post that below. It is said that the 25th Pauri has the power to bring prosperity. People are reading it 11 times per day, perhaps for 40 days, and some for longer than that.
I will work on getting the rest of them into this format and post them one at a time, hopefully in the next few days.

After posting this I notice that the spacing I had done to match words to each other is not maintained by this posting method. I have this Pauri in several formats in MSWORD and can email it to any that provide me an address. One version has Gurmukhi alone, another has Gurmukhi and only transliteration, another is like below, transliteration and English.
Wahe Guru!
Nam Hari Kaur, Eugene, Oregon
===========
Bahutaa karm likhiaa naa jaae
Much mercy written not goes

The magnitude of God’s mercy cannot be expressed in words.

vadaa daataa til na tamaae
great Giver sesame seed no avarice

The great Giver gives without a single thought of return.

kete mangeh jodh apaar
many beg warriors infinite

Many saintly warriors ask of Him.

ketiaa ganat nahee veechaar
how many counting no deep reflection

There is no counting how many meditate on Him.

kete khap tuteh vekaar
Many unrighteous broken wretches

Many unrighteous bgroken wretches…

kete lai lai mukar paaeh
Many taking taking ingratitude obtain

Many take and take and become ungrateful.

kete moorakh khaahee khaaeh
Many foolish eaters eat

Many fools, eaters eat (consume).

ketiaa dookh bhookh sad maar
so many sufferings hungers always beat

Pain and hunger always strike so many people

eh bhi daat teree daataar
These also gifts Thy Giver

These are also Thy gifts, Giver.

band khalaasee bhaanai hoe
From bondage shall be liberated by will is

By God’s will one is liberated or enslaved.

hor aakh na sakai koe
More speak not able anyone

No one can say more about it.

je ko khaaik aakhan paae
If anyone fool to speak gets

If a fool speaks otherwise,

oh jaanai jeteeaa moeh khaae
He knows how many in the face(mouth) he eats.

He will know how many blows he gets in the face.

aape jaanai aape de;
Himself knows Himself gives.

He Himself knows, He Himself gives.

aakheh se bhe ke-ee ke
They speak them(that) even a few a few

Even that only a few people speak about.

jisano bakhase siphat saalaaho
to whom He blesses good advice good qualities.

Unto whom He blesses with his good advice and good qualities

naanak paatisaahee paatisaaho!
Oh Nanak! of kings king!

Oh Nanak, he is the king of kings!

vaapaaraa

SPNer
Jul 15, 2004
Thank you.. Here is my email... I think I can do some proof-reading if you want also. I notice you seem to be not born into sikhi , so punjabi is not your mother language ?

You are really good inspiration to the people who are already born into sikhism. They sometimes forget what they have.
it is nice to know sikhism is growing.

Here is my email address

Waheguru jee ka khalsa, Waheguru jee ki fateh

kanwal295

SPNer
Mar 8, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
Sat Nam All!

A word-for-word translation of JapJi that I have has proven to be immensely helpful at learning vocabulary for Gurbani/Gurmukhi. Apparently this came from something available from www.a-healingways.com - but nothing else is there (or anywhere else on sikhnet that I can find) that has word-for-word translations.

I know that word-for-word translation from Gurbani to English is not even recommended and that line-by-line translations by experts are the recommended way to understand Gurbani. I am using this word-for-word version of JapJi to begin learning vocabulary, not for doing full translations. I find it thrilling to find myself recognizing some of the words when I hear a Hukham or chant done in Gurbani and I want to keep going in that direction. And when reading for the Akand Paath the other day it was exciting to be reading in English and knowing what the Gurmukhi word would look like for some of the words - then to look at the Gurmukhi script and see what I expected to see there.

I thought a good dictionary would be the answer, but I borrowed a dictionary from a Sikh here and surprisingly it is not very helpful. I guess it has to do with roots and endings of words for different verb cases and all that - but so many words I try to look up are not there - even the root or stem of them.

I suppose if there are no other word-for-word translations of other banis or chants, then I will have to work from Jaap Sahib and try to discern the meanings of some words from the shorter lines in there.

Any other suggestions for learning the meanings of Gurbani words are welcome too!

Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru!
Nam Hari Kaur, Eugene Oregon

Dear Nam Hari Kaur ji
I am sorry I wasn't able to open the web site provided, does it have a url
kanwal295

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: