• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Will Sikhism Last Forever?

Oct 18, 2012
I am located in malaysia..it can be seen very clearly this days many young sikhs are converting to other religions.. so my discussion here is will sikhism last long or just a short lived one..please discuss and give your oppinion on this subject

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Re: will sikhism last forever ?

I am located in malaysia..it can be seen very clearly this days many young sikhs are converting to other religions.. so my discussion here is will sikhism last long or just a short lived one..please discuss and give your oppinion on this subject
Are you sad and depressed because of that?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

The answer is yes and no

Sikhs will always be there in future.But will they be politically active a major religion as they were in 18th , 19th , 20 th century the answer is may be no

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA

The answer is yes and no

Sikhs will always be there in future.But will they be politically active a major religion as they were in 18th , 19th , 20 th century the answer is may be no

As long as we stay true to gurmat chivalry and adopt it in daily life we will always be there. But if we continue to follow the ways of bipran we are doomed. But overall the Will of waheguru always prevails, so no worries.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom

The answer is yes and no

I hope that you are very wrong on that front, I really do kaurhug In fact, I'll stick my neck out and say blatantly that I think you are wrong, in all sincerity my friend.

I am a non-Sikh, however I believe that it would be a travesty if Sikhi were allowed to wither to the extent that you relate. It is a religion which I feel has much to offer to humanity. Unlike other faiths, which have tendencies both towards exclusion and inclusion, the teachings of the Gurus are fully inclusive of other paths. To have that lacking in the modern age, when peace between members of different religions is more essential than ever, would be a sore loss.

Sikhism, as it currently exists, has I think much in common culturally speaking with Judaism. Both Judaism and Sikhi are strongly tied, at times, to a specific ethnicity, people, culture and shared heritage. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, its actually beautiful to maintain such traditions, however it does mean that the Jewish and Sikh faiths have not as yet reached to the same demographic spread as say Islam or Christianity, which are less culturally tied.

I think that all one will witness in the coming years is a movement away from a culturally-bound, Punjabi-specific form of Sikhi too a much more diversified and universalized form of the religion, which despite retaining a strong Punjabi contingent and heart, will have branched out considerably and become a faith much more in tune with the original teachings of the Gurus which teach one to embrace all humanity, all religions, all cultures, all races, all countries.

That is where I see Sikhi heading and it isn't a bad thing at all, although it will change many peoples' perception of Sikhs (who are often seen as a "people" like Jews rather than an all-embracing religious identity without racial/ethnic attachments such as Christianity).

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA

I have no idea exactly what will happen in the future, but I do know this: we Sikhs have no right to keep Sikhi just to ourselves. The world needs what we have and we should help to make it accessible to everyone. I am not suggesting proselytizing; I am suggesting educating. As things are going now, it is possible that Sikhi, as we know it, will not survive. I pray that isn't the case, but we are on a suicide course with the near-destruction of the Khalsa in the 1980s and 1990s in India and our horrendous ongoing murder of our daughters now, either before or after birth. The Khalsa, which is the strong backbone of the Sikh Kaum, can be rebuilt, Gur parshad, and we can quit killing our girls. I don't know if we will.

But true Sikhi cannot die. I remember the words of an old poem:

What if cherished creeds must fade?
Faith will never leave us.
God preserves what God has made,
Nor can Truth deceive us.

Our Eternal Guru, Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji is available to the public. If we drop the torch, surely someone will pick it up. But what a lost opportunity for us who are Sikhs now! Surely we won't let that happen. Will we?

:fish:
animatedkhanda​

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Re: Will Sikhism Last Forever ?

If they continue to call only khalsa as sikhs, insist on vegetarianism, try to look down on people with shorn hairs, then it may not last longer.
I think that is the game plan in India.
They are taking them away by making sikhism as hard core one , i.e., must have khalsa swaroop only with no meat eating, liquor. At the same time they are encouraging radha soami/ ravidassia etc.
At the end if you have only handful left, then it really does not matter if you exist or not.
It is a number game at the end. You can get proof of that in muslim religion.
there has been discussions on other threads where people insist that we need quality over quantity. I DISAGREE.
You can develop quality leaders and then leave others peacefully in YOUR religion.
Thanks,

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

I hope that you are very wrong on that front, I really do kaurhug In fact, I'll stick my neck out and say blatantly that I think you are wrong, in all sincerity my friend.

I am a non-Sikh, however I believe that it would be a travesty if Sikhi were allowed to wither to the extent that you relate. It is a religion which I feel has much to offer to humanity. Unlike other faiths, which have tendencies both towards exclusion and inclusion, the teachings of the Gurus are fully inclusive of other paths. To have that lacking in the modern age, when peace between members of different religions is more essential than ever, would be a sore loss.

Sikhism, as it currently exists, has I think much in common culturally speaking with Judaism. Both Judaism and Sikhi are strongly tied, at times, to a specific ethnicity, people, culture and shared heritage. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, its actually beautiful to maintain such traditions, however it does mean that the Jewish and Sikh faiths have not as yet reached to the same demographic spread as say Islam or Christianity, which are less culturally tied.

I think that all one will witness in the coming years is a movement away from a culturally-bound, Punjabi-specific form of Sikhi too a much more diversified and universalized form of the religion, which despite retaining a strong Punjabi contingent and heart, will have branched out considerably and become a faith much more in tune with the original teachings of the Gurus which teach one to embrace all humanity, all religions, all cultures, all races, all countries.

That is where I see Sikhi heading and it isn't a bad thing at all, although it will change many peoples' perception of Sikhs (who are often seen as a "people" like Jews rather than an all-embracing religious identity without racial/ethnic attachments such as Christianity).

I don't know which movement you are talking about because at present there is no movement.To spread the religion you need active missionaries who go to remote part of world to spread the teachings of guru.At present there is no such thing happening in world .It is only few whites particularly from english speaking countries which are embracing sikhi and many of them just leave it after giving it a try.So thinking that Sikh faith will become multi ethnic faith is distant dream

As your comparison with Judaism because of single ethnicity , I have to say that many minority religions in world have single ethnicity and culture.For example Parsis of India also have single ethnicity and specific culture

Harvir007

SPNer
Aug 22, 2010
Leicester, England

Everything that starts, eventually comes to an end. As the Greek and Viking mythology is no longer believed in, sometime in the distant future, most religions will probably have a very small following like pagan cults. However! In terms of the near future, Sikhism will probably prosper because the doctrine that is offered is much more believable. Another reason is that, if you have a look at the UK, there are huge amounts of kids with kesh. The parents are fervent in teaching them the panth and in the process, indoctrinate them so most of them will never not believe. Just my opinion however!

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA

In my opinion Sikhism is not a religion. It's a dharm- a way of life (Gurmat). I believe in the far future all religions will be abolishied by people because of all the mythloghy involved in them which offer them nothing but anxiety. Sikhi has nothing to offer other than the truth (universal waheguru) No magic shows, no water into wine and etc. these quaitlys are below a gursikh. Far as any movements we don't have any. We let our leaders fail us. So with waheguru's Kirpa we can get back on track.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Sp ji,
It's longer than that I think around 500 thousand -1 millions years.

TechSingh ji,
There's plenty of mythology in Sikhism. I fact many Sikh scholars today reinterpret Sikhism to not be mythological in any way but in doing this they pour so much of Sikhism down the drain.
To understand how Mythological works, listen to someone like Joseph Campbell, and the philosophy of Jean Gebser.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Can you recall hearing any stories of Waheguru in action? Which two of His avtaars are revered the most in Guru Granth Sahib? How about the story of the prostitute and the parrot?

These questions are part of Sikh mythology and form the basis for Sikh theology, ethics, practices, etc.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

I have made my point. This is not even talked about in Sikh discourse, instead They are simply rejected based on misinterpreted verses. I think this conversation leads away from the topic so either message me or open a new thread. Thanks

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
What your pointing out seems like it need to be discussed cause truly i have no idea. Start a new thread and put forth your view of which avtaars are revered by our guru ji.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM