• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus Why We Celebrate Guru Nanak Birthday In Nov?

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
You would be hard pressed to see a genuine poor beggar at a Gurdwara...majority are the well fed pot bellied sikhs gorging and then packing for home fridges...

Gyani ji

What you said is fair as for most part in those countries with good welfare states langar is just not as crucial as it was in our Guru's time ,most smaller Gurdwaras now only operate langar on Sunday in which case we could call it the six day fast Sikh diet plan.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Gyani ji

What you said is fair as for most part in those countries with good welfare states langar is just not as crucial as it was in our Guru's time ,most smaller Gurdwaras now only operate langar on Sunday in which case we could call it the six day fast Sikh diet plan.

Do you think the U.K is a good welfare state?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Veera
I think it is widely regarded as so and it has looked after me very well,I consider myself to have taken my States salt and therefore am Indebted to it.

you stated "Giani Ji, What you said is fair as for most part in those countries with good welfare states langar is just not as crucial as it was in our Guru's time"

Like i mentioned in my earlier post...even in a supposed good welfare state, it seems Langar is still crucial..

There are still many families and people struggling to make ends meet. and they are benefiting from Langar.

There are still countless people living on the streets in the supposed good welfare state, and they are benefiting from Langer.

please look at: https://www.facebook.com/midlandlang{censored}vasociety?ref=br_tf

they are one of several who are doing this wonderful LANGAR Seva.

Also, there are more and more local Food Banks opening and struggling to provide food services for the growing number of families that are fighting to keep their basic lives intact...even though the food banks are not Sikhi Based, it is STILL LANGAR...langar is universal.

I really do not know where people keep getting this idea that LANGAR is only there to feed the pot bellied Gyani ji's and Sangat and is not so crucual anymore ....it baffles me and worries me that so many are blind to what is actually going on out there.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
you stated "Giani Ji, What you said is fair as for most part in those countries with good welfare states langar is just not as crucial as it was in our Guru's time"

Like i mentioned in my earlier post...even in a supposed good welfare state, it seems Langar is still crucial..

There are still many families and people struggling to make ends meet. and they are benefiting from Langar.

There are still countless people living on the streets in the supposed good welfare state, and they are benefiting from Langer.

please look at: https://www.facebook.com/midlandlang{censored}vasociety?ref=br_tf

they are one of several who are doing this wonderful LANGAR Seva.

Also, there are more and more local Food Banks opening and struggling to provide food services for the growing number of families that are fighting to keep their basic lives intact...even though the food banks are not Sikhi Based, it is STILL LANGAR...langar is universal.

I really do not know where people keep getting this idea that LANGAR is only there to feed the pot bellied Gyani ji's and Sangat and is not so crucual anymore ....it baffles me and worries me that so many are blind to what is actually going on out there.

That's excellent stuff !!
Makes me proud to be a brit when I looked at the midland langar seva.
The midland sikh community and youth have always been special...and the british born sikhs from there have a different attitude and are what I would call 'more genuine'.

It puts this Vancouver lot here to shame. The sikhs over here are way too materialistic and too absorbed in their big houses and big cars.
We may have the biggest sikh populations in the world outside Punjab, but they are too busy trying to outdo each other. The gurdwaras are mostly private and run as business's.......Vancouver and Surrey waste millions each year trying to outdo each others Vasaikhi mela......the list can go on,...but I can imagine the future generations being much different to this mostly 1st generation who have primarily come to the west to use/abuse whatever it has to offer.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I am with SPji absolutely all the way, we do have a good welfare state, it exists to give a hand to those who end up with a few problems, it exists not as a long term measure but a short term leg up until you find your feet again.

The trouble today is that folk use the welfare agencies as a way of living instead of as an emergency measure.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Veer Ji

We feed our egos more than we feed another,we get puffed up with pride if those we share identity with do some good,such are our ways.Is this the sehaj we seek?

The 'we' you keep referring to, i guess that is a group you are part of? or label yourself under...

i refuse to be a part of that 'we' and i know many people that are not part of your 'we'...there are people out there doing good because they actually see God in all...and they are serving the God in all...not everyone does 'service' for 'pride'

like i said...in life there is good and bad, hot and cold, light and dark...
there are good builders and bad builder, good politicians and bad politicians...good sikhs and bad sikhs...putting everyone into your 'we' category is pointless...just pick the side you want to be on, and live it...it is that simple...

God Bless ji

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
That's excellent stuff !!
Makes me proud to be a brit when I looked at the midland langar seva.
The midland sikh community and youth have always been special...and the british born sikhs from there have a different attitude and are what I would call 'more genuine'.

It puts this Vancouver lot here to shame. The sikhs over here are way too materialistic and too absorbed in their big houses and big cars.
We may have the biggest sikh populations in the world outside Punjab, but they are too busy trying to outdo each other. The gurdwaras are mostly private and run as business's.......Vancouver and Surrey waste millions each year trying to outdo each others Vasaikhi mela......the list can go on,...but I can imagine the future generations being much different to this mostly 1st generation who have primarily come to the west to use/abuse whatever it has to offer.

with every new generation is the potential for positive change...

but what the new generation need are a few that are walking the path genuinely, to inspire them...and the rest you leave to them...they will make the change...it's happening a lot in the U.K. i hope it continues...actually i know it will continue :)

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
The 'we' you keep referring to, i guess that is a group you are part of? or label yourself under...

i refuse to be a part of that 'we' and i know many people that are not part of your 'we'...
there are good builders and bad builder, good politicians and bad
God Bless ji

Veera so rare is the one without ego that you may consider that "we" as everyone you know, as well as those you are yet to meet and not exluding those who refuse to be labelled as such , and as for those builders, do the bad ones know that they are bad?
God bless Ji

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM