Yes you've gotta understand it, or you might as well be reading a recipe for soup.I have started doing mol-mantr. It often written/advised to do this path for half an hour or more. And do this throughtout the day when we get time.
Why repetition over period of time is important?? Why few mins are not enough?
1. Every time I repeat, I am a different person, however slightly, and so the meaning to me will change and grow with each repetition, providing I am consciously repeating, not just parroting.dedication. if you are dedicated enough then it only needs once but if you are not dedicated then the repetition helps to dedicate one. next is that once one is dedicated then that person starts to miss and starts repeating by it self
For what i have learned is that, Having a doubt on something doesn't mean that you are rejecting it completely or in any way, It Means you are looking for a logical explanation behind it. And once you get the Logic behind it, then you may even follow it with more faith than ever....... and this has worked for me tremendously..... Especially in Gurbani.ਗੁਰ ਮੂਰਤ ਚਿੱਤ ਵਸਾਇ, ਜੋ ਇੱਛੇ ਸੋ ਫਲ ਪਾਇ.
this is the essence in gurbani.
1) you become different every time you repeat. gur murat is the image which stops your mind from changing or wandering
2. if you like a song and you do not want to listen to it again. it is the thinking of your brain which actually does not like it but accepts it. if you really like something it sticks in your mind and you would like to think about ti again and again not reject it. for example the mother and child relation, it is mutual both keep thinking of the other without noticing. that is dedication.
there are four fundamentals to become divine,
love, dedication , humility and gurus teaching and blessings.
till you think, whether you are dedicated or not. actually you are in doubt which is the number one hindrance against all above.
once you are dedicated to something your mind will unknowingly react to it and miss that criteria.
the sggs and all the writings in it by all 43 persons deal mainly with mind and soul, very little with brain. all your objections come from the brain.
I understand where you're coming from.. Yeh of course repetition can help1. Every time I repeat, I am a different person, however slightly, and so the meaning to me will change and grow with each repetition, providing I am consciously repeating, not just parroting.
2. If I have a song I like, will I not want to listen to it many times? If I have something as precious as Gurbani, will I not want to repeat it over and over again?
3. Who is so dedicated? How could I know if I am such a person?