• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Why Is The Law Of Karma Rejected?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Lucky ji

What is the term used for free-will in Gurbani?

Good question !!

in punjabi/gurmukhi, i don't think that there is a specific term.
Any words used to describe an action such as - he/she does, he/she tries/gains, through their actions...etc... is in effect to be using the free will to make an effort.

One is to use their free will to attain 'God Realisation'

Just as you are now using your free will to ask a question in order to attain realisation !
(see ??)

The goal is to merge your self-will or ability to gain realisation along with the Divine Hukam.
So, when you can merge your self-will with the divine will. then only The true governing divine Will remains.(NO Duality)

Another way if looking at it is that gurbani tells us in many places to accept/submit or devote ourselves to the Hukam of his command or to obey his will...etc...

The question is that before the sikh can do this, then he has to be acting in accordance with something that is not in accordance with the true devotion to divine hukam ?

This is the free-will !!

How do you submit yourself totally to his command and hukam ??
You use this very free-will to make this choice and action.!

We need to act within the free will to submit to the divine will.
Thus in shabads were it says 'to submit, to devote, to accept...etc.''
ALL of this is 'to act within this free-will'

Key is NOT to stay lost and absorbed in this free will, which brings further ego, haumai..power..etc...etc..an dissaciates you further from realization.

Remember that the ability for fee will in sikhism is still under the command of hukam.

winkingmunda0:)

I hope I answered your question and concern ??
I know it's a little tricky to get your head round it!peacesign

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Laws of Karma and Transmigration..were INVENTED to JUSTIFY CASTE and OPPRESSION TYRANNY of the few over the majority..so the Shudra would meekly accept his low birth due to his past lives bad deeds etc etc HUMBUG and not fight the Brahmin.
We all KNOW very well that SGGS REJECTS OUTRIGHT CASTE..so what makes us not sure that the LAW OF KARMA TRANMIGRATION stands but not caste ?? The TRUTH is that SGGS REJECTS it all HOOK LINE and SINKER..period. There are no karmas from past lives and no karmas carried forward...its ALL HERE and NOW..as a HUMAN.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Luckysinghji

Karma or karama as in punjabi, is the results of past actions. It is also the pre-ordained, such that your work and service as servant is pre-ordained.

Karma and karam are two different words. They are spelled differently in Gurmukhi, pronounced differently, they form plurals and grammatical cases differently. They mean different things.

1. Karma = ਕਰਮਾ = consequences of past actions/past lives

2. Karam = ਕਰੰਮ = good deeds, good fortune/outcome, destiny

Correct the error, and the meaning of a shabad will change.

The error has taken hold because so many wrong translations by Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa have taken rebirth over the Internet. Error gone viral is difficult to change. In a very similar way the incorrect idea that Eskimos have many words for "snow" is a mistake. Noam Chomsky, scholar of languages, has tried to dispel the error. But popular mistakes are hard to undo.

I do not expect to change incorrect opinions about karma versus karam. My goal is to restore perspective on this thread. To clear the error Gyani ji has posted links to 2 articles that are essential reading.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The Laws of Karma and Transmigration..were INVENTED to JUSTIFY CASTE and OPPRESSION TYRANNY of the few over the majority..so the Shudra would meekly accept his low birth due to his past lives bad deeds etc etc HUMBUG and not fight the Brahmin.
We all KNOW very well that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji REJECTS OUTRIGHT CASTE..so what makes us not sure that the LAW OF KARMA TRANMIGRATION stands but not caste ?? The TRUTH is that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji REJECTS it all HOOK LINE and SINKER..period. There are no karmas from past lives and no karmas carried forward...its ALL HERE and NOW..as a HUMAN.

Thanks because these ideas of karma, caste and oppression cannot be separated just because someone says "let's just leave caste out of the discussion." To suspect that Guru Nanak espouses a Law of Karma is to say Guru Nanak is a hypocrite.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
I guess under the Hindu view of things, Karma and reincarnation are conveniently entwined and provide an explanation for life on this planet, i.e how humans / other species comes into existence in the first place and what they need to do to get out of here via eons of rebirths. It also provides a nice foundation for justifying that great social control mechanism that is the caste system.

Like Isha Ji, who said it right at the start of this thread, I subscribe to the "As ye sow so shall ye reap" concept but in your current life. Which is actually really sound advice for living one's life here and now.

The main problems I have with Karma are:

1) Too deterministic / defeatist. "Oh I have been hit by a bus. It's because there is some unresolved Karma between me and the bus driver from a past life"

2) Collective Karma - Tens of thousands die at once in a natural disaster. "It was Karma. It was their time to go" Really?? All together at once???

If we link it to current life transactions and the Christian concept of temptation and doing the right thing, it makes more sense...I think.

So how did we get here in the first place if not by some Karmic process? Any thoughts???

:redturban:

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I guess under the Hindu view of things, Karma and reincarnation are conveniently entwined and provide an explanation for life on this planet, i.e how humans / other species comes into existence in the first place and what they need to do to get out of here via eons of rebirths. It also provides a nice foundation for justifying that great social control mechanism that is the caste system.

Like Isha Ji, who said it right at the start of this thread, I subscribe to the "As ye sow so shall ye reap" concept but in your current life. Which is actually really sound advice for living one's life here and now.

1) Too deterministic / defeatist. "Oh I have been hit by a bus. It's because there is some unresolved Karma between me and the bus driver from a past life"

2) Collective Karma - Tens of thousands die at once in a natural disaster. "It was Karma. It was their time to go" Really?? All together at once???

If we link it to current life transactions and the Christian concept of temptation and doing the right thing, it makes more sense...I think.

So how did we get here in the first place if not by some Karmic process? Any thoughts???

Seeker9 ji

I am with you on some of what you say. But the comparison with Christianity may not be complete. Within Christianity, that is in official doctrines of Christian religions, there is a lot of variation on the subjects of temptation, "doing the right thing," pre-destination and free will. More than one can wrap up in a single reply.

Pre-destination is a very deterministic theory of salvation from sin. Words of Paul, "For whom He did foreknow, He did predestinate to be elected first among the brethren." Meaning to some denominations, not all, that God already knows who will be saved and who wil be damned. Therefore, the place of free-will in Christianity is also different according to individual Christian religions.

Not all Christian religions agree with the literal biblical interpretation of Paul's words. Not all Christian religions agree that a human has only one chance to submit to God's will and receive his grace. Not all agree on the way to salvation. Some say humans are "saved" and others say humans are "redeemed." Individual Christians may accept the idea of karma, and reincarnation, but every Christian denomination that I know of rejects both karma and reincarnation, aiming for a theory of individual repentance, salvation or redemption. Roman Catholicism for example considers "karma" a nihilistic theory because its moral principles are set up to benefit those who are able to dominate society through political power.

It is complicated, but your ideas add rich thinking to this thread.

Last edited:

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Thanks SPN Admin Ji

I like to think their is One Source so sometimes try to make connections with my limited knowledge of different faiths

Don't know if you ever read the Dune Sci-Fi novels by Frank Herbert but they reference, within the story, a "Commission of Ecumenical Translators" who were tasked with reviewing all the ancient scriptures and producing one united master scripture to unite everybody

Fanciful and nice....

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Seeler9 ji

I will try to read some of his work. But in all honesty, I treasure the differences and believe that trouble breaks out when attempts are made to squelch differences. Think of all the religious wars in history. Think of all the political correctness strategies that erase identity by erasing difference. Erasing difference is a violence of its own kind.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Luckysinghji

Karma and karam are two different words. They are spelled differently in Gurmukhi, pronounced differently, they form plurals and grammatical cases differently. They mean different things.

The error has taken hold because so many wrong translations by Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa have taken rebirth over the Internet. Error gone viral is difficult to change. In a very similar way the incorrect idea that Eskimos have many words for "snow" is a mistake. Noam Chomsky, scholar of languages, has tried to dispel the error. But popular mistakes are hard to undo.

I do not expect to change incorrect opinions about karma versus karam. My goal is to restore perspective on this thread. To clear the error Gyani ji has posted links to 2 articles that are essential reading.

I'm sorry but maybe you misunderstood my post.
I was not combining karma with karam.
I was trying to clarify the difference from my perspective.

I made a comment about Karma or how sometimes people say Karama, but this is talking about the same word of karma and NOT karam.
See the quote referenced below.-

I'm sure you can see that I was not trying to or intending to mix karma with karam by any means.
I apologise if it came across in that manner.

Karma or karama as in punjabi, is the results of past actions. It is also the pre-ordained, such that your work and service as servant is pre-ordained.
Karam is more so referenced to good deeds and actions.
We often hear that good karams lead to good karama.

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

ONLY he,the Almighty knows WHY we are here.

What we do know is 'WHAT' we should do while we are here.
Wondering about WHY God makes decisions or WHY he pre-ordains the circumstances, is NOT going to help us achieve WHAT we are supposed to be doing.

The karmic situation is only applicable to this very life.
But if we think that the bus driver ran me over because of some re-balancing of past karma, then what is the purpose of even making an effort ??
If I stop crossing roads forever, the bus driver is still going to hit me according to karma, so he may swerve off the road and do it !!
So, why bother making an effort ?
What's the point ?

I would say, the reason the bus driver is there driving and I am there walking is ALL pre-ordained and part of the Divine Will. It's no part of some game plan that is dictated by my actions many years ago in anoher life !
Pre-ordained meaning that for each one of us when we are born we may have these opportunities for actions layed out in front of us according to the pre-ordained and decided circumstances that HE decides for us.

Where and How HE puts us on this planet is all known by HIM ONLY, and it influences what steps and opportunities we shall face in life, dependent on where and what we are.
-This is what I would personally call karma or the pre-ordained karma. As it has nothing to do with fate, destiny or past life actions.
The Divine Order put's us ALL with different roles in this 'world play or drama'.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Once a very pious Kaur told me that she wanted very much for the gurdwara committee to accept her for a seva that had an opening. Her reason? She had so many things on her conscience that she needed to "cleanse her karma." I drew my breath. Where did she get this idea of "cleansing karma." Her entire family for generations were devoted to Guruji. Where in Gurbani is the idea that we cleanse our karmas?

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Confused ji,

Guru Fateh.

First of all I am sorry to know that you have ADD. If I have offended you in anyway, I seek your forgiveness. I do not want to rehash -he said,he said. The main idea of this forum is to interact and to learn, not to impose one's own will or thought process cultivated via dogmas, religions or by any other manner.

You said in your post in this Sikh Forum, and I am paraphrasing it now "Only Buddha is right and rest are all wrong".

From your above proclamation, one can conclude that this buddha you are talking about is not the one who did meditation under the Banyan tree for many years to find the meaning of life, but someone else with a Talibanic mentality, which makes you a Taliban buddhist. It is you who is bearing the consequences of this so called righteousness as its result. With your comment you have put "right" in a corner. By Buddha being only the right one and the rest all wrong implies that Buddha is good and hence full of goodness. It is sad to notice that you fail to grasp the notion which is, goodness can not be cornered as a monopoly of someone. It belongs to all.

Goodness is the center which is surrounded by all different paths that include Sikhi, Buddhism and many many others. Hence your claim of only one way is "right" is a self defeating prophecy which is immersed in arrogance along with the rejectionist and the defeatist attitude.

I am not going to start another thread about Karma and Karam because they have been explained very well by others. It is up to you to grasp the differences and their values.

My last point about you being a killer as any other human being still stands. I will elaborate it further for your own understanding.

We all as humans kill life in order to survive. If you eat raw vegetables, fruits,yogurt; then you are killing life while consuming it. You can experiment these things at home. Put some legumes in water and they will sprout. Put a potato in water and it will start leafing like all other organic products.

You claim that Buddha is only "right" and he taught you not to kill but I have shown you that you have to kill in order to survive.

Now, tell me who/what is right?

Your understanding of Buddha's teachings or Buddha? I am sure it is the latter.

Enjoy your journey, learn from it if you can but do not impose your views unto others. Learn to share them, because your kind of imposition hits the fan fast and that fan is facing you, no one else.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Understanding would have it that the law of moral cause and effect is inherent in the very nature of good and evil states (precisely the mental factor of intention)

Confused Ji

I feel there is truth that in the pure intention lies something that can cancel out what I would call 'current-account-karma',I think it's like an amount carried forward,or being overdrawn.Then the Bank manager gives you an extension.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Spanadmin ji,

This is from another website and represents the Hindu understanding:

Quote:
karma, kárma or kárman (Sanskrit: कर्म, "act, action, performance") — is a noun-form coming from the root kri meaning "to do," "to make." Literally karma means "doing," "making," action. Karma is pronounced as "karmuh," the "uh" being subtle. Karma can best be translated into English by the word consequence. It corresponds to the "action" or "deed" which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra). It applies to all levels of action, including thought, word, feeling and deed, and the effects of it.

Karma refers to (1) any act or deed; (2) the principle of cause and effect; (3) a consequence or karmaphala ("fruit of action") or uttaraphala ("after effect"), which sooner or later returns upon the doer. What we sow, we shall reap in this or future lives. Selfish, hateful acts (papakarma or kukarma) will bring suffering. Benevolent actions (punyakarma or sukarma) will bring loving reactions. Karma is a neutral, self-perpetuating law of the inner cosmos, much as gravity is an impersonal law of the outer cosmos. In fact, it has been said that gravity is a small, external expression of the greater law of karma. The impelling, unseen power of one's past actions is called adrishta.<><end quote>

I suspect that in Sikh teachings the two words karam and karma have been used more or less interchangeably. If you insist on limiting the meaning of karma to the one you have given, one conclusion that can be drawn from this is that Sikhs have misrepresented the Hindu understanding making it a straw man to knock down.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Spnadmin ji,

Quote: Originally Posted by Gyani Jarnail Singh
We all KNOW very well that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji REJECTS OUTRIGHT CASTE..so what makes us not sure that the LAW OF KARMA TRANMIGRATION stands but not caste ?? The TRUTH is that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji REJECTS it all HOOK LINE and SINKER..period. There are no karmas from past lives and no karmas carried forward...its ALL HERE and NOW..as a HUMAN.

Thanks because these ideas of karma, caste and oppression cannot be separated just because someone says "let's just leave caste out of the discussion." To suspect that Guru Nanak espouses a Law of Karma is to say Guru Nanak is a hypocrite.

Until evidence is given that he indeed suggested, directly or indirectly, that karma was invented to justify the caste system, one can only infer that this connection was forced upon by his followers due to their own opposition to the concept of karma.

The Buddha and his followers did not encourage the caste system, but they did believe in karma. In fact their understanding regarding the concepts of karma and rebirth supports their position against the caste system.

Besides, if indeed karma was invented to justify the caste system by a certain class of Hindus, given the full implications of the concept as taught in their scriptures, it would amount to those involved shooting themselves in the foot.

I think it makes much more sense to believe that those who wanted to control the others, simply selected a certain aspect of karma while ignoring other aspects, and used this to do what they did. Hence why even they were criticized by some members of their own faith.

Nov 14, 2004
Thailand
Seeker9 ji,

Or if understood correctly, that deeds decide the worth of a person.
This is from the Buddha, but I believe that many practicing Hindus might have been inspired to think along the same lines in spite of what the other members of their religion thought and did.

Quote:
"Not by birth is one an outcast; not by birth is one a brahman. By deed one becomes an outcast, by deed one becomes a brahman."

You mean you have to *believe* in it in spite of all the evidence out there, regarding people doing evil day in and day out and little sign of their experiencing any negative results.

Anyway, would you mind giving an example and showing the connection between any one particular cause and its corresponding result?

Quote:
It is karma operating through the law of cause and effect, action and reaction, that governs all life and binds the atman (the Self) to the wheel of saṃsāra (birth and death). The process of action and reaction on all levels — physical, mental and spiritual - is karma. God does not give us karma. We create our own. Karma is not fate; humans are believed to act with free will, creating their own destinies. According to the Vedas, if an individual sows goodness, he or she will reap goodness; if one sows evil, he or she will reap evil. Karma refers to the totality of mankind's actions and their concomitant reactions in current and previous lives, all of which determine the future. However, many karmas do not have an immediate effect; some accumulate and return unexpectedly in an individual's later lives. The conquest of karma is believed to lie in intelligent action and dispassionate reaction.

Unkindness yields spoiled fruits, called papa, and good deeds bring forth sweet fruits, called punya. As one acts, so does he become: one becomes virtuous by virtuous action, and evil by evil action.<><end quote>

Does the above sound defeatist to you?

You are right to question this. And it is not taught either by the Hindus nor the Buddhists. Yes I've heard some Buddhists refer to such an idea, but this is only because they don't understand.

If you do this, then you will be forced to invent your own ideas about what constitutes cause and what the effect and there'd be many holes you can't fill which you will have to simply ignore.

Birth, which is the first moment of consciousness of this life, is result of the last volitional activity of the previous life. Karma and its result.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM