• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dear Cyber Sadh Sangat, this is what Obama said in his inaugural address in one of his lines: "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus — and non-believers."

Many Sikh forums I have visited since the inauguration are full of ire because of the ommission of the Sikhs in the above. Many of them are planning to boycott Obama, writing petitions and demanding the reason why Sikhs were excluded and want an apology from him.

It is sad to notice that our Punjabi spirit of hastely conclusion make us trip on our own mound of ignorance and shows although Sikhi teaches us to be openminded, how much parochial we still remain in our non-Sikhi way of thinking.

Following is what Thomas Jefferson said when the state of Virginia wanted to add Jesus Christ in its constitution.

Thomas Jefferson:

"[When] the [Virginia] bill for establishing religious freedom... was finally passed,... a singular proposition proved that its protection of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word "Jesus Christ," so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion." The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection the *** and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination." --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821. ME 1:67

I thought I would share this with you.

Thanks and Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited by a moderator:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Dear Cyber Sadh Sangat,

This is what Obama said in his inaugural address in one of his lines:-

"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus — and non-believers."

Many Sikh forums I have visited since the inauguration are full of ire because of the ommission of the Sikhs in the above. Many of them are planning to boycott Obama, writing petitions and demanding the reason why Sikhs were excluded and want an apology from him.

It is sad to notice that our Punjabi spirit of hastely conclusion make us trip on our own mound of ignorance and shows although Sikhi teaches us to be openminded, how much parochial we still remain in our non-Sikhi way of thinking.

Following is what Thomas Jefferson said when the state of Virginia wanted to add Jesus Christ in its constitution.

Thomas Jefferson:

"[When] the [Virginia] bill for establishing religious freedom... was finally passed,... a singular proposition proved that its protection of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word "Jesus Christ," so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion." The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection the *** and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination." --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821. ME 1:67

I thought I would share this with you.

Thanks and Regards

Tejwant Singh

Maybe someone should e-mail him about Dalip Singh Saund?;)

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
he also did not mention the red americans and natives...

does it mean he considers them non existent?

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
He probably believes us to be too small a community for him to mention. I don't think he believes us to part of Hindus. I think he is more alert and intelligent than that.

I think Hilliary Clinton would have mentioned Sikhs. She had a lot Sikh donors during her campaign.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I agree that he should have mentioned Sikhs, Buddhists, American Indians etc. etc. He should have added those lines. But on the other side you all are missing the point. He was quoting Jefferson what the state of Virginia tried to do was to add JESUS CHRIST in its constitution which he objected to. Those are Jefferson's words. Not President Obama's.

One can find Jefferson's quotes on this site: http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeff1650.htm

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
He probably believes us to be too small a community for him to mention. I don't think he believes us to part of Hindus. I think he is more alert and intelligent than that.

I think Hilliary Clinton would have mentioned Sikhs. She had a lot Sikh donors during her campaign.

Jaspreet, you may be right but Obama was the only one to vote for the easing of restrictions regarding Sikhs on the TSA bill. Hillary did not nor did McCain.

Tejwant

anders

SPNer
Jul 13, 2004
Sweden
Living rather half the Earth away from those happenings, I think it's mostly a matter of statistics and general US ignorance. Your current President probably knows lots more than most USAians on ethnological/religional/cultural interactions and problems that might arise in such areas, and seems to be willing to face problems in that field on his short listed priorities. Teaching the US general public that a Sikh or Rajasthani or whathever head gear isn't automatically mean that somebody's about to kill you should get massive federal education effort.

Jan 23, 2009
Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh,
Sadh Sangaat Ji,

For those of you who may not know his background, President Obama has had great relationship with the Indian, and specifically Punjabi Sikh community in Illinois.

Typically I am with some of the others in our sangaat who are annoyed, at best, with scholars, and other experts on world religion when they either ignore or merge Sikhi with Hinduism in books, documentaries, etc.

In this case, I am pleased and inspired at the overall inclusive language, choices of speakers, etc. at the inauguration and in his actions in the first few days.

I was a little dissapointed that I saw no turbans evident in the crowd, but since his issues and mine are in sync I find it is easier for me to avoid going over the deep edge about any apparent slight.

In the same feeling, perhaps those who are insulted and not so ready to forgive an apparent slight may be on the political right spectrum of American politics who do not feel as comfortable or invested in his policies and the direction he is taking the nation.

Whahe Guru
Shiva Singh Khalsa

Apr 2, 2006
Oh My Waheguru, I cant believe the fuss about something so trivial, yes he is the president of USA but he is not GOD he is not our True Guru, if we cared that much about what Guruji says and wants from us i cant imagine the kind of Sikh we will be, so please lets not waist energy on things that dont matter, and focus on what is really important, but too bad that some people only care about stirring problems and making unnecesary drama.

gascosikh

SPNer
Mar 20, 2008
WJKK! WJKF! This is ridiculous. It is so petty to be upset by such trivia. Obama had 15 minutes to deliver his speech. There was no way he could include everyone in it: in fact, he did not say "Buddhists", "Jains", "Taoists", "Baha'i's", the countless tribal religions in Africa (where his father hails from), Native AMerican religions, Australian native religions...and the list goes on and on. The important thing is the big picture. Will he do the best job addressing issues important to you, or could someone else (McCain/ Palin, for example...????:confused:) do it better. Um....I think Obama certainly will have a heck of a better job listening to Sikhs (Which he has already in his campaign) than I have seen really...from most...if any ...past US Presidents. Thank you Shiva Singh Khalsa for keeping a healthy perspective.:)

guisingh

SPNer
Apr 27, 2008
Did you spot a single turbaned sikh amongst the crowd that gathered to witness obama's swearing in ceremony. We did not. Could not a few hundred sikhs band themselves into a group, sport saffron turbans and be at the ceremony. Surely they would have caught obama's eye! And pray how many splinter groups of sikhs are there in washington alone. Which group represents the sikhs as such!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
he also did not mention the red americans and natives...

does it mean he considers them non existent?

We are taking about religions not races or ethinicities.I don't know whether red Americans
and natives have their separate religion or not but if they have then He should have mentioned them.

BTW Just tell me the reason why he mentioned Hindu's and left out sikhs,why sikhs were not initally invited in religious ceremony?

NavjeetSingh

SPNer
Jan 1, 2009
Chandigarh
Well, there's a lot that can be debated regarding the issue but I think such a endless debate would be of some use if we put the topic for what can be done now?

My solution is it would be better if the Sikh Community gives him some present as token of congratulations for becoming the President. Then this issue could be taken up with him so that in future, such things don't happen.

I would like to hear some replies.

Navjeet Singh
Have u gone through Who Are Sikh?

jonathan

SPNer
Nov 23, 2008
Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh,
Sadh Sangaat Ji,

For those of you who may not know his background, President Obama has had great relationship with the Indian, and specifically Punjabi Sikh community in Illinois.

Typically I am with some of the others in our sangaat who are annoyed, at best, with scholars, and other experts on world religion when they either ignore or merge Sikhi with Hinduism in books, documentaries, etc.

In this case, I am pleased and inspired at the overall inclusive language, choices of speakers, etc. at the inauguration and in his actions in the first few days.

I was a little dissapointed that I saw no turbans evident in the crowd, but since his issues and mine are in sync I find it is easier for me to avoid going over the deep edge about any apparent slight.

In the same feeling, perhaps those who are insulted and not so ready to forgive an apparent slight may be on the political right spectrum of American politics who do not feel as comfortable or invested in his policies and the direction he is taking the nation.

Whahe Guru
Shiva Singh Khalsa

Obama did not mention Wiccans,Satanists,druids,thelemites,jains,sufis,budhists,vampires or werewolves.
I always knew this man was full of religious bigotry:}8-:

jonathan

SPNer
Nov 23, 2008
As Sikhs, there is little that we need from Washington.
We are a self reliant and industrious ethnic minority in the united states that have not looked to the government for help in our success.
Lets keep it that way.

shearwater

SPNer
Apr 3, 2008
There are so many ethnic minorities in the US that it would have been impossible to name them all. I think of the Amish who renounce military force and have relinquished their right to vote in exchange for the requirement to serve in the US military. Quakers are another of the passive groups allowed the same right but who can vote as well.

Obama as leader of the party of the "big tent," (Democrats) is identifying himself with all of these fringe groups and ethnic minorities which includes gays and lesbians, which renounce the so-called Judeo-Christian Ethic which includes morality framed by the Ten Commandments and Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.

starforce

SPNer
Jan 3, 2005
Because Sikhism is a minority religion (no disrespect) compared to the other religions he mentioned. There are many other minority religions of the world he didn't mention, he could be there all day in his speech if he mentioned all of them.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM