• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Did The Gurus Keep And Stress The Need For Horses

Singh1999

SPNer
Apr 25, 2017
Why did many gurus keep horses and told their sikhs to also keep horses. Like how guru hargobind sahib ji stressed the need for sikhs to give and have weapons and horses

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Why did many gurus keep horses and told their sikhs to also keep horses. Like how guru hargobind sahib ji stressed the need for sikhs to give and have weapons and horses

Horses were the chief means of transportation during the period of Gurus. Guru Hargobind travelled a lot hence necessity of good horses. Also he had to fight the Mughals specially those who troubled the masses. in battles with Mughals the horses were of immense use for mobility. Need for Weapons also arose during these battles.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Paji I feel you have a loaded question?
Guru sahib in my in my opinion was stressing the idea of utilitarianism..

Keeping horses and wearing shaztar was a exclusive activity for the so called higher castes

The reality of martial life was less to do with militarism and more to do with the fact that we as individuals must be brave

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Paji I feel you have a loaded question?
Guru sahib in my in my opinion was stressing the idea of utilitarianism..

Keeping horses and wearing shaztar was a exclusive activity for the so called higher castes

The reality of martial life was less to do with militarism and more to do with the fact that we as individuals must be brave

'You have to go back to the history to understand the needs of the time. The first five Gurus had not used horses and weapons. The need of these arose only once the government of the time lost the real sense of justice system. They used sword unabashedly to spread their religion and to have their power and they had no human values as such. This was on the increase. The heat was felt by the 6th Guru after the martyrdom of 5th Guru. Chivalry was a least choice but offensive defence was the urgent necessity since Mughals did not understand the land of reason and human aspects. They only understood the language of weapon and force. To stop them from this having weapons was an urgent necessity felt by the 6th Guru. For battles then horse was essential for mobility and the two were a combined force hence used as such.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: