• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Count Numbers?

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Once, a Sikh made a request before the Guru Ji, "O true King! I am grieved by the world. Eliminate the pain of birth and death. Save me from sins. I am in your protection" I am illiterate so cannot even recite or understand Gurbani.

Guru Ji said, "Brother Sikh! You are blessed that you became detached (from the world). To gain wisdom, knowledge is very important. One should get education. An uneducated person cannot understand anything.

Guru Ji asked another learned Sikh to teach that Sikh with love. The Learned Sikh started to teach him. While teaching, he taught him this line of Anand Sahib prayer, "Anand bhya meree maaye, Satguroo main paaya." (The heavenly pleasure occurred, O my mother, for I have found my True Guru).

The Sikh recited this line with love and went on reciting it. His faith increased reciting this line. After six months, Guru Ji asked the learned Sikh, "Did he learn?"

He replied, "He did not return after learning one tuk."

Guru Ji called for that Sikh and asked, "You were sent to learn."

He replied with folded hands, "Guru Ji! One line was enough. When the True Guru has been found, 'Anand' is gotten. " what else I could possibly ask for ?

Guru Ji smiled and said, "You are 'nihaal' (bliss). Your cycle of birth and death has been curtailed."

He has gained wisdom with this one pankti of gurbani.

ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ ਜੇ ਇਕ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ ॥(SGGS jeeo-2)
Mat vich ratan javāhar mānik jė ik gur kī sikh sunī.
Mind will obtain gems, jewels and rubies, even if you listen to one teaching of Guru Sahib jeeo.

Once Baba Bulleh Shah was sitting on bank of river when he saw this lady selling carrots. People were coming to buy it, but when they start picking and choosing she would say "I only sell carrots in volumes there is no pick and choose". So all these people had to buy carrots in volumes/in bulk.

Then there was this beautiful man, who came to her to get carrots, but this time she herself picked the best carrots for him ! Bulleh shah was quite surprised looking at the incident so after this men had left Bulleh shah asked her how come you let only him to hand pick the carrots, in fact you picked and choose carrots for him yourself. She replied, Bulleh Shah ji, he is my husband, there is no counting/accounts between lovers.

This made Bullah Shah realize, what's the point of carrying a rosary. He put it away and asked himself, Bullah are you insane? Why are you doing counting with your beloved?

So why count, how many times have I done simran, paath or visited the Gurudwara ?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
sinighbj

This is a wonderful story. Don't you think that it is there is in our lives a single time when awareness of this love comes rushing in and then we know that He is the One for us, and Gurbani is the way we want to adore Him?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM