• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Were The First Sikhs?

Nov 19, 2006
I was just wondering about this.. I hope my question isn't silly,:unsure: but I wanted to know who/what were we (Sikhs) before we became Sikhs or before sikhi started. Were we hindu, muslim, etc. or no religion at all and were just in search of a path; the right path?

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Your question is not silly at all. The truth is, Guru Nanak Dev Ji came from a Hindu family and I would take that the majority of first Sikh's were Hindu's as the families began to convert their oldest son's into sikhism. I know that under the rule of Majaraja Ranjit Singh, a lot of the army was also made up of muslims. But i would take it that the majority of us have roots in Hinduism. But you must remember that that does not make us muslims or hindus but when we become sikh we can not still be a hindu or muslim. How can one actively be involved in two religions at once?

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
A good question and it also sheds light on an important, yet forgoten aspect of history. We are converted from iether muslim or hindu. Today, there is not much of that going on, however, that should change. We should still be spreading our way of life to others.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM