• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Truly Is A Sikh?

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
Hair is a dead tissue. The same goes for nails. If we uproot the hair by plucking or waxing then it hurts but if we shave it or trim it then it does not hurt. Same thing is true for the nails. If we uproot the nail from the cuticle it would hurt. When we get our fingers or thumbs caught in a car door, we know the feeling. Yes, it is a same protein keratin these two have.

So, there is a misconception about dead nails and living hair as Hardip ji and Mohinder Singh ji in his other post implied. We do not cut the latter for other reasons.

Tejwant Singh

Gurperaa Tejwant jeo,
Thanks for the clarifications. But there is one quarry !!!!!
How one thing which is regularly growing in size is not considered to be live ??????? Hair, nails tree leaves all grows when they are part of their biological system but they are considered dead once they are cut.
Pl clarify.
Guru Fateh jee.
Hardip Singh

Nov 29, 2009
S. Hardip Singhji,

Sir, firstly let me clarify that I have never believed that the reason for maintaining kesh is that we are forbidden from modifying our bodies. If we believe this to be true, we would also have to include many medical procedures as prohibited and the list, especially so in the fast changing world, would be endless.

However, when it comes to the spiritual aspect of maintaining kesh, it is a different matter. We all know that rishis and saints have maintained kesh in India, and also other parts, since time immemorial. There has to be a reason for this which, like S. Arvind Singhji said above, can only be understood for oneself, through Nit Nem.

As to why they are considered dead tissue, despite the fact that they grow... Hair is an accumulation of dead cells, like nails, and that is why it grows... There are no living cells, or nerves for that matter!, in hair... Also, hair and nails continue to grow for a while after a person is dead!

Thank you for your interest.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Soul Jyot ji

I think that is what Arvind ji meant in his post -- but kept it short because he does not tend to go into a lot of detail as is his habit. Anyway that is what I thought he meant.
Haanji Narayanjot ji... the definition reminded by soul_jyot veer ji should be kept in front of us all the time. It is a kasauti - the basic test of a sikh. Sikhs should stick to this reminder all the time.

Guru Gobind Singh ji goes to the next level - Rehat pyari mujh ko, sikh pyara nahi.

My strong faith is that - Regardless of what a person is now, if they stick to sikh definition as per Guru Sahib, rest everything follows by itself including rehat. Bani, Bana, Simran, Seva has two outward attributes and two inner ones. Reading Bani translates it into a need of Bana. Rememberance of His name i.e. Simran blossoms itself into the form of Seva. This could go other way around as well, but it seems we get stuck with the haumai associated with these attributes. A well connected soul (jot-saroop) sees Him in every thing... so connected with Super Consciousness all the time! Such a person sees life, the jot of Waheguru in each and every particle, because that is true. Everything is live. Just a matter of tuning our frequency to that level.

Warm Regards,
Arvind.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Gurperaa Tejwant jeo,
Thanks for the clarifications. But there is one quarry !!!!!
How one thing which is regularly growing in size is not considered to be live ??????? Hair, nails tree leaves all grows when they are part of their biological system but they are considered dead once they are cut.
Pl clarify.
Guru Fateh jee.
Hardip Singh

Hardip ji,

Guru Fateh.

Gurpreet ji has explained it very well. I agree with him. However, if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I will do my best to respond to it from the Gurmat viewpoint.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: