• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Loves Cooking?

Batman

SPNer
Jan 26, 2012
California
How many of you Sikhs out there enjoy cooking? I know I sure do.

I propose this thread as a place not to discuss the ethics of our respective diets, but to share recipes we enjoy and recall delightful meals that we've recently enjoyed.

Please feel free to share your love of food with us!

Thanks,
B-man

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Pork Belly

Take one Pork Belly, score it deep, not criss cross, but like slices, then give it a good rub with sea salt flakes and squeeze half a lemon over it. chop up some garlic and ginger and stuff it where you have made deep scores, stick it in on a high heat, 200, keep basting it, after the skin has crackled up, lower the heat to 170, serve with french bread and unsalted french butter, make sure you cook it when everyone is asleep, so you can eat it all yourself!, however if you have dogs, be aware that they will probably come down for a piece of the action, followed by your wife, who wants to know why you are cooking at 3am.

Believe me, when you have that first bit of pork with crackling, it explodes in your mouth, best eaten whilst eating Viz magazine or Private Eye!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I do too. I even volunteered a Year at Home Scinece teaching in a secondary school..ha ha...loved it....all Girls students in an all girls school with all lady teachers...i was the only male and a SINGH with FLOWING BEARD..the Girls loved me too..although my cooking wasnt that great..LOL.........

Nov 23, 2010
I like it so much I became a chef.
Here's one that's super easy and great tasting.
cut in 1.5 in cubes
3 beets
3 potatoes
3 carrots
3 turnips
1 lrg onion
1/2 kilo brussel sprouts (cut in half)
toss eveything with 1/4 cup olive oil. sprinkle with about a teaspoon of each sage, thyme, oregano, black pepper,and salt
add 1 cup water.
If you eat meat add about 1/2 kilo of pork loin cut in cubes.
bake covered for about 2 hours at 200 c

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
The kings sandwich from Memphis

This is a recipe for the peanut butter banana sandwich, which to me never sounded too appealing until I was in Memphis, Tennesse and thought I'll give it a try!! I soon realised what all the talk was about, and love to have this now as a quick treat.

2 slices of white bread
2 tablespoons of butter
1 ripe banana
3 tablspoons of peanut butter

Slightly toast both slices of bread (very slight)
Spread the peanut butter over both slices evenly.
Slice the banana into small slices and place these evenly on one piece on top of the peanut butter.
Close the sandwich, gently pressing both slices together.
Heat the butter until its melting and sizzling in a frying pan.
Add the sandwich and cook for 2 minutes turning it over once until golden brown.

Slice diagonally and serve or enjoy while hoticecreamkaur
..........a healthier version can be made by grilling instead of frying but it is not the real deal! This is how the King had intended it be eaten.

Enjoy

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
I Love the Recipes on here: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/ & the Magazine itself! Mmmm... pita bread pizza is pretty good, you take whole wheat pita lightly cover it w/ vegetable oil on both sides. Throw some pizza sauce on there, vegetables (everything from Brocolli to Spinach) & you're good to Go! Easy, portable, & Delicious.

Heck, if you have a grill, you can grill up alll the Vegetables you want on there, & enjoy them All Summer Long. Grilled Zuchini, Corn, Green Peppers. Awesome Veggie Burgers too: http://www.yvesveggie.com/products/burgers.php

Oct 11, 2012
I love cooking.
I would like to share the recipe of Chilly paneer which I made yesterday on my father's birthday.
Add some oil in the pan and then add chilli, garlic and ginger paste and then add onions paste, then after sometime add tomato puree. Allow it to simmer for sometime and then add diced onion, capsicum and tomato. To it add, salt, garam masala, red chilli powder,tomato ketchup, soya sauce, chili sauce, vinegar and ajinomoto. Side by side add corn flour, salt, black pepper, red chilli powder to the diced paneer pieces and deep fry these marinated paneer and then add to the above vegetables.
Then cook for about 5-10 minutes and your Chilly Paneer is ready to read.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
A really good vegetarian meal I made yesterday:

Gallo Pinto (Rice with black beans, sweet red pepper, onion, garlic, fresh cilanrtro, and cumin and a bit of shredded cheese on top that gets all melty and yummy)

Avocado Salad on the side (chunks of avocado, tomato, cucumber, red onion, more fresh cilantro, dash of oil and salt) and

Fried Plantains (sliced plantain pan fried in vegetable oil till golden brown and crispy on the outside, then seasoned with cayenne powder and cumin powder and salt to taste).

South American inspired and totally vegetarian and very yummy!!! Oh and in the pic also my Mom's homemade pickled beats.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Mmmmm! I would like makki roti with this. Going to make this too! If you are so inspired we welcome member contributions to the Cooking and Recipes section, which for some reason does not show up on the forum landing page. But too I am blind sometimes. Maybe it is there and I don't see it.

Here is the link. Make this your place to enjoy.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/cooking-and-recipies/

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
(oopps sorry for the large photo... I don't know how to thumbnail it!)

Tonight's Dinner (my own creation put together at the last min):

Garlic Parmesan Spinnach and Tomato Spagetti.

- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic Paste
- Baby Spinnach (fresh)
- Grape Tomatoes cut in half

(heat the above in a pan until the spinnach wilts and the tomatoes are warm. There's no specific amounts. Just do it to taste lol)

- Spagetti

Cook and drain to preference (el dante or if you like it more well done)

Drain the spagetti, and add the sinnach and tomato mixture from above. Stir in some parmesan.

Done :)

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This is the typical quick and savory kind of dish that I always enjoy. You can add and subtract to it, and have crusty bread or a thick soup if you want that too. I like lots of parmesan cheese, or the sharper loccatelli cheese, a harder, savory, grating cheese. For this dish, you should also try insalata ricotta which is a pressed, dried ricotta. This cheese is not as hard as parmesan or loccatelli so it doe not grate very well. You shred it. it is wonderful on salads and on pasta medleys like the one you have posted.

A tip on photos: The smaller photo is not necessary, unless the photo you upload is going into the first post in a thread. Then it has to be 295 pixels wide, or there will be a mess in the Spotlight. For the rest of the thread, the photo width should be 800 pixels or less, so that the pic does not overlap with the navigation bars to the left and the right. Bottom line, if I spot a problem, I can always fix it. No need to worry.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
So set me up for my delight
The harvest of the bee;
Brown, crispy toast with butter bright,
Ceylon - two cups or three.
Let others lunch or dinner praise,
But I regale with glee,
As I regard with grateful gaze
Just honey, toast and tea.

(Rhymes of a Roughneck by Robert Service)

....as simple as that..!! :D

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Akasha Ji, that looks awesome. I've never Tried garlic in pasta before (I kno:roll: ) Its just we don't cook that much un-brown food in the household. But I'l definetly give this a shot & c how my mom likes it. :interestedkudi:Thank you ; icecreamkudi

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM