• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Is A Sikh And When Should You Start Calling Yourself "Sikh"?

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
I know this seems like a really elementary question but it's not as easy to answer as I thought it might be. Honestly, I am not sure when a person starts calling themselves a Sikh. When you make the decision to be a Sikh? When you are completely faithful with morning meditation and follow the 3 pillars? When you wear dastaar? Honestly, I wear dastar at home and sometimes when I go out but not often. The reason I don't is because I don't want people to ask me if I'm a Sikh because I simply don't feel worthy to represent Sikhi.

I know that might sound soppy, but its the truth. I don't feel worthy of representing Guruji... and that's why I am hesitant to call myself a Sikh. To me, its kind of like calling yourself an "expert" or a "saint." When are you an expert? How much do you have to know? When are you a saint? How good do your actions have to be? How clean does your heart have to be? When do you call yourself a Sikh?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Carolineislands ji

Tonight I am splitting my time between doing laundry and moderating and writing my own thoughts too. So I saw your questions. WoW!! On another forum, let's call it Nameless for Now, one very dear and kind member from Delhi, wrote that he was very concerned that I doubt myself the way I seem to do. I had actually described the feeling of not being a "real Sikh". Even though i was speaking tongue in cheek, it was my attempt to describe the struggle we who are converts have feeling authentic. So much knowledge, language, understanding of Sikhism is bound up in centuries of culture that some share -- those born into Sikhism - and others do not have this dependable founcaton-- they are those who convert.

I want to share what he told me without disclosing his identity or the name of the forum. It is a private network anyway. This may help you as it helped me.

I firmly know that the Guru takes care of his sikhs. But the only condition is that the sikh is true to his Guru and not that he knocks at other doors as well.

A convert sikh truly has no tradition to teach him or ease of learning. But at the same time there is no accompanying garbage to give up.

Guru Nanak Dev ji in his time traveled far and wide and there were sikhs with diverse cultures. Many unfamiliar with the language. In a local Hyderabad Gurdwara which i visited once there were telgu speaking sikhs who have a different back ground. Similarly there are many other sikhs with different language backgrounds.

The sikhi of Guru Nanak is devoid of rituals. It is difficult to practice as there are hardly any ritualistic things to do. The sikhi is to go within. It is to live as even a householder and be with the Guru within. So people with diverse backgrounds can easily go forward.

The Guru arranges the satsangat as per needs. The affairs too are resolved both of the outer world and blocks before the inner world.

So I am not going to say more right now but to share your wistful sense of wondering. Now deep down inside you know you are a Sikh. Of course you do. It just that sometimes it is such a fragile feeling.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
I'm starting to realize how much my first experience with a Sikh affected me. This woman was is a friend of mine who I love and respect very much. When I told her I was very interested in Sikhi and had been studying it with the intent of "converting" she shocked me with her response -- she was not at all encouraging about it. She is from Punjab but has lived in the States for over 30 years and raised her children here. When I got over the shock of her reaction I asked her to explain her feelings and she said that she didn't really believe in converting because a person's religion is in their cells -- it's part of who they are. And she went on to describe how her faith is something she was born and raised in and that she chose before her birth and that a person can't just change that. Then she said that no one religion was better than another and was concerned that I wanted to leave the love of Jesus.

I was like :unsure: "Huh?"

I came away from that feeling self conscious and presumptuous about my desire to become a Sikh. Since then I haven't talked to her about Sikhi and I don't think she is away of how much I have embraced this path in my heart. I did a lecture with her a few weeks ago and I saw her eye catch on my kara. She didn't say anything.

I wondered about that a lot though. I thought about what she said about choosing our families and our religions before we're born and how we all do that because that's the path that has what we need to learn in this lifetime. But then I thought, what if what I needed to learn was to seek out the best path instead of just following what was expected of me? What if what I needed to do in this lifetime was find Guruji?

Funny thing is, she is totally non traditional. She has short hair and dresses totally American. I wonder if she thinks about the fact that she has converted nationalities? LOL

At any rate, I think that experience probably planted a seed in my mind about whether or not I could become an 'authentic' Sikh even though I wasn't born to it.

Fortunately, I have run into people who have been much more encouraging! This forum has helped, with all it's pros and cons. And there are a couple of really nice Sikh families in my town who have been very supportive too. They say they love to see westerners coming to Sikhi because it makes them to take a fresh look at their faith, and also because they think that converts bring wonderful things to a faith community. They're not at all critical or suspicious of 3HO - they think they've brought new life to Sikhi.

I think I'm going to gurdwara with them in next weekend. I don't know why I'm nervous about that. Should I go up front and pay my respects to SGGS like everybody else or just slip in the back?

LOL It is truly not like me to be shy! Have you ever seen the movie, "The Color Purple?" You know that song the nightclub singer sings when she goes into her father's church? I sing that song! And DANCE. I've been to Vodou ceremonies! Why am I nervous about going to gurdwara???

anyhow... thank you so much. That writing was very touching. And please thank your friend for me too.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਗੁਣਵੰਤੀ ॥
soohee mehalaa 5 gunavanthee ||
Soohee, Fifth Mehl, Gunvantee ~ The Worthy And Virtuous Bride:

ਜੋ ਦੀਸੈ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੜਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਨਿਵਿ ਨਿਵਿ ਲਾਗਉ ਪਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥
jo dheesai gurasikharraa this niv niv laago paae jeeo ||
When I see a Sikh of the Guru, I humbly bow and fall at his feet.

ਆਖਾ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਜਣੁ ਦੇਹਿ ਮਿਲਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥
aakhaa birathhaa jeea kee gur sajan dhaehi milaae jeeo ||
I tell to him the pain of my soul, and beg him to unite me with the Guru, my Best Friend.

ਸੋਈ ਦਸਿ ਉਪਦੇਸੜਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਅਨਤ ਨ ਕਾਹੂ ਜਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥
soee dhas oupadhaesarraa maeraa man anath n kaahoo jaae jeeo ||
I ask that he impart to me such an understanding, that my mind will not go out wandering anywhere else.

ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਤੈ ਕੂੰ ਡੇਵਸਾ ਮੈ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਬਤਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥
eihu man thai koon ddaevasaa mai maarag dhaehu bathaae jeeo ||
I dedicate this mind to you. Please, show me the Path to God.

ਹਉ ਆਇਆ ਦੂਰਹੁ ਚਲਿ ਕੈ ਮੈ ਤਕੀ ਤਉ ਸਰਣਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥
ho aaeiaa dhoorahu chal kai mai thakee tho saranaae jeeo ||
I have come so far, seeking the Protection of Your Sanctuary.

ਮੈ ਆਸਾ ਰਖੀ ਚਿਤਿ ਮਹਿ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਭੋ ਦੁਖੁ ਗਵਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥
mai aasaa rakhee chith mehi maeraa sabho dhukh gavaae jeeo ||
Within my mind, I place my hopes in You; please, take my pain and suffering away!

ਇਤੁ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲੇ ਭਾਈਅੜੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਕਹੈ ਸੁ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥
eith maarag chalae bhaaeearrae gur kehai s kaar kamaae jeeo ||
So walk on this Path, O sister soul-brides; do that work which the Guru tells you to do.

ਤਿਆਗੇਂ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਮਤੜੀ ਵਿਸਾਰੇਂ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਜੀਉ ॥
thiaagaen man kee matharree visaaraen dhoojaa bhaao jeeo ||
Abandon the intellectual pursuits of the mind, and forget the love of duality.

ਇਉ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਾਵੜਾ ਨਹ ਲਗੈ ਤਤੀ ਵਾਉ ਜੀਉ ॥
eio paavehi har dharasaavarraa neh lagai thathee vaao jeeo ||
In this way, you shall obtain the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan; the hot winds shall not even touch you.

ਹਉ ਆਪਹੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਨ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਮੈ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਭੁ ਹੁਕਮਾਉ ਜੀਉ ॥
ho aapahu bol n jaanadhaa mai kehiaa sabh hukamaao jeeo ||
By myself, I do not even know how to speak; I speak all that the Lord commands.

ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਖਜਾਨਾ ਬਖਸਿਆ ਗੁਰਿ ਨਾਨਕਿ ਕੀਆ ਪਸਾਉ ਜੀਉ ॥
har bhagath khajaanaa bakhasiaa gur naanak keeaa pasaao jeeo ||
I am blessed with the treasure of the Lord's devotional worship; Guru Nanak has been kind and compassionate to me.

ਮੈ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਭੁਖੜੀ ਹਉ ਰਜਾ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਅਘਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥
mai bahurr n thrisanaa bhukharree ho rajaa thripath aghaae jeeo ||
I shall never again feel hunger or thirst; I am satisfied, satiated and fulfilled.

ਜੋ ਗੁਰ ਦੀਸੈ ਸਿਖੜਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਨਿਵਿ ਨਿਵਿ ਲਾਗਉ ਪਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
jo gur dheesai sikharraa this niv niv laago paae jeeo ||3||
When I see a Sikh of the Guru, I humbly bow and fall at his feet. ||3||

I will send you a pm about going to gurdwara. First time your eyes will be opened. It is going to be very different from what you think.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Caroline ji

These days plenty of sikhs think that conversions in sikhism or spreading sikhism is banned in sikhism.They just think that one should follow religion in which he/she born.
They forget that ancestors of more than 90% of sikhs were Hindu's and at one point
they converted to sikhism that's why there descendents are sikhs today.

I don't know who spread this Myth or who spreaded this type of misunderstanding in sikhism

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Caroline ji

These days plenty of sikhs think that conversions in sikhism or spreading sikhism is banned in sikhism.They just think that one should follow religion in which he/she born.
They forget that ancestors of more than 90% of sikhs were Hindu's and at one point
they converted to sikhism that's why there descendents are sikhs today.

I don't know who spread this Myth or who spreaded this type of misunderstanding in sikhism

Without going into anti-Hindu territory. I think it was Brahminical sources that persuaded naive Sikhs of this. Sikhs were open and actively accepting converts up to the early 1800s. There are plenty of references by early western witnesses in Panjab to this effect. Sikhism was clearly open to Muslims and Hindus and many converted.

As a person born with a Sikh heritage I would say this to you Caroline. It is true that much Panjabi cultural baggage is linked with Sikhism as practiced by most Sikhs of Panjabi background. In future this should change as the community increasingly diversifies. Be confident and honest to yourself. Believe you me many Sikhs of Panjabi backgrounds are no angels. Call yourself Sikh when you feel it in your heart. Ultimately your judge will be Akal Purakh, not Panjabis! lol

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Thank you all so much! It really helps to understand a little of the reasons behind my friend's thinking. She is a wonderful person and is extremely caring and nice to people. She is a doctor and does lots of pro bono work in Third World countries and things like that. She really is one of the most wonderful people I know. That's why I was so confused. But now I think I have a little better perception about it. Thank you!

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all and Kds1980 Jee!

Quote "These days plenty of sikhs think that conversions in sikhism or spreading sikhism is banned in sikhism."
The reality is that they do not have anything to convince others, even their own children for Sikhi.

The reverend Gurus spread the wisdom of Naam. People from all religions went through spiritual conversion. Today Baabaas and preachers are working hard for people not to convert spiritually. They want to hang them on a pentangular platform engraved with five symbols.

Quote from Dal Singh Jee "As a person born with a Sikh heritage I would say this to you Caroline. It is true that much Panjabi cultural baggage is linked with Sikhism as practiced by most Sikhs of Panjabi background. In future this should change as the community increasingly diversifies. Be confident and honest to yourself. Believe you me many Sikhs of Panjabi backgrounds are no angels. Call yourself Sikh when you feel it in your heart. Ultimately your judge will be Akal Purakh, not Panjabis! lol"
This is a good remark.
I feel Sikh preachers are worrying to loose their masks.

A Sikh is one who has received the wisdom of true Naam Simran.

Balbir Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Carolineislands ji

As I said earlier in my previous post, your sincerity is an asset for your goal. This kind of sincerity towards Guru ji, will keep you on the true path you have chosen. I am a strong believer of this that without it, hypocrisy, duality take over the soul. Why do I applaud you? Because very rarely I have found it in the believers.

Mar 13, 2008
y u wnna knw ??
well we all know wat a sikh is..sikh is a learner..as we are always learning new things about sikhi !! right !!to become a guru;s sikh (gursikh) we shud follow the rehit n obey the orders that are provided by da guru granth sahib ji !! there are many tuks inthe gurbannnii which gives the definition of a truee sikh..there is one "jo satgur ka sikh akahiye..oh tarkke uth har naam thaiyee" srry if i spelleed it rngg !!!

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
well we all know wat a sikh is..sikh is a learner..as we are always learning new things about sikhi !! right !!to become a guru;s sikh (gursikh) we shud follow the rehit n obey the orders that are provided by da guru granth sahib ji !! there are many tuks inthe gurbannnii which gives the definition of a truee sikh..there is one "jo satgur ka sikh akahiye..oh tarkke uth har naam thaiyee" srry if i spelleed it rngg !!!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

ਮ:
मः ४ ॥
Mehlā 4.
Fourth Mehl:

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ
गुर सतिगुर का जो सिखु अखाए सु भलके उठि हरि नामु धिआवै ॥
Gur saṯgur kā jo sikẖ akẖā­ė so bẖalkė uṯẖ har nām ḏẖi­āvai.
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ
उदमु करे भलके परभाती इसनानु करे अम्रित सरि नावै ॥
Uḏam karė bẖalkė parbẖāṯī isnān karė amriṯ sar nāvai.
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ
उपदेसि गुरू हरि हरि जपु जापै सभि किलविख पाप दोख लहि जावै ॥
Upḏės gurū har har jap jāpai sabẖ kilvikẖ pāp ḏokẖ leh jāvai.
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ
फिरि चड़ै दिवसु गुरबाणी गावै बहदिआ उठदिआ हरि नामु धिआवै ॥
Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏi­ā uṯẖ­ḏi­ā har nām ḏẖi­āvai.
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ
जो सासि गिरासि धिआए मेरा हरि हरि सो गुरसिखु गुरू मनि भावै ॥
Jo sās girās ḏẖi­ā­ė mėrā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai.
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ
जिस नो दइआलु होवै मेरा सुआमी तिसु गुरसिख गुरू उपदेसु सुणावै ॥
Jis no ḏa­i­āl hovai mėrā su­āmī ṯis gursikẖ gurū upḏės suṇāvai.
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
जनु नानकु धूड़ि मंगै तिसु गुरसिख की जो आपि जपै अवरह नामु जपावै ॥२॥
Jan Nānak ḏẖūṛ mangai ṯis gursikẖ kī jo āp japai avrah nām japāvai. ||2||
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

Source: Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Anonymous Kaur ji,
Please be very very careful while writting Gurbani. One should never take this
lightly as there are serious repercussions.

Kindly use the following link to search Gurbani
SikhiToTheMAX - Enabling Gurmat Knowledge

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 13, 2008
y u wnna knw ??
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

ਮ:
मः ४ ॥
Mehlā 4.
Fourth Mehl:

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ
गुर सतिगुर का जो सिखु अखाए सु भलके उठि हरि नामु धिआवै ॥
Gur saṯgur kā jo sikẖ akẖā­ė so bẖalkė uṯẖ har nām ḏẖi­āvai.
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ
उदमु करे भलके परभाती इसनानु करे अम्रित सरि नावै ॥
Uḏam karė bẖalkė parbẖāṯī isnān karė amriṯ sar nāvai.
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ
उपदेसि गुरू हरि हरि जपु जापै सभि किलविख पाप दोख लहि जावै ॥
Upḏės gurū har har jap jāpai sabẖ kilvikẖ pāp ḏokẖ leh jāvai.
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ
फिरि चड़ै दिवसु गुरबाणी गावै बहदिआ उठदिआ हरि नामु धिआवै ॥
Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏi­ā uṯẖ­ḏi­ā har nām ḏẖi­āvai.
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ
जो सासि गिरासि धिआए मेरा हरि हरि सो गुरसिखु गुरू मनि भावै ॥
Jo sās girās ḏẖi­ā­ė mėrā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai.
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ
जिस नो दइआलु होवै मेरा सुआमी तिसु गुरसिख गुरू उपदेसु सुणावै ॥
Jis no ḏa­i­āl hovai mėrā su­āmī ṯis gursikẖ gurū upḏės suṇāvai.
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
जनु नानकु धूड़ि मंगै तिसु गुरसिख की जो आपि जपै अवरह नामु जपावै ॥२॥
Jan Nānak ḏẖūṛ mangai ṯis gursikẖ kī jo āp japai avrah nām japāvai. ||2||
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

Source: Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Anonymous Kaur ji,
Please be very very careful while writting Gurbani. One should never take this
lightly as there are serious repercussions.

Kindly use the following link to search Gurbani
SikhiToTheMAX - Enabling Gurmat Knowledge

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

yh..i knw...srryyy..nywaiss....fanx for posting it up !!

i cudnt find it on da net...n forgot half of da wrds !!

bhul chuk maaf karni !!

waheguru ji ka khalsa...waheguru ji ki fateh !!

Last edited by a moderator:

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
At any rate, I think that experience probably planted a seed in my mind about whether or not I could become an 'authentic' Sikh even though I wasn't born to it.

Going by the Sikh History and my lif experiences till now . The people who were not Born as Sikh made a major impact on sikh heritage .Infact most o the great Personality in Sikhism were not Born sikh but Converted Sikh!

muneet

SPNer
Aug 22, 2005
India, Port Blair
Hi every body
It was nice to know that people still yearn after "true sikhi". I for myself have struggled along a wavered path but never doubted the Guru's love for me and his forgiveness for all my misdemeanours. I feel He knows our frailties and we are as fickle as the flesh we are made in. "Ant lai chhadayee"( in the end He will save me) is what I believe in after each day of "Nigurapan"! I feel for a sikh to be a Ni-Guraa is the worst state - the state varies in degrees.. but redemption is still a possibility. "If you walk towards Him one step He walks toward you a million steps.".. is what Gurbani says and I believe it totally.

Jan 6, 2007
UK
I know this seems like a really elementary question but it's not as easy to answer as I thought it might be. Honestly, I am not sure when a person starts calling themselves a Sikh. When you make the decision to be a Sikh? When you are completely faithful with morning meditation and follow the 3 pillars? When you wear dastaar? Honestly, I wear dastar at home and sometimes when I go out but not often. The reason I don't is because I don't want people to ask me if I'm a Sikh because I simply don't feel worthy to represent Sikhi.

I know that might sound soppy, but its the truth. I don't feel worthy of representing Guruji... and that's why I am hesitant to call myself a Sikh. To me, its kind of like calling yourself an "expert" or a "saint." When are you an expert? How much do you have to know? When are you a saint? How good do your actions have to be? How clean does your heart have to be? When do you call yourself a Sikh?

There is a fundamental answer to your question that is often overlooked even by the most devout one calling oneself a Sikh. We need to go back to the three basic principles set by Guru Nanak Dev ji. They are:

1. Naam Japna (Recite Naam)
2. Wand Shakna (Share your bounty with the less fortunate than yourself)
3. Dharam di kirat karni. (Practice righteousness)

One who practices these three fundamental principle is worthy to call himself a sikh.

So ask your self these three questions everyday after a hard days of Dharam di Kirat and you will have your answer. The day you miss out on one ,"You are not a Sikh" This is the fundamental step, the rest is progression/a direction to become a Gurmukh. When you start wearing the Kakkars, you begin to represent Guru Gobind Singh ji. Seek within your own heart if one, in sincerity has in him/her to represent Guru ji.

Kind Regards

ekmusafir_ajnabi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Going by the Sikh History and my lif experiences till now . The people who were not Born as Sikh made a major impact on sikh heritage .Infact most o the great Personality in Sikhism were not Born sikh but Converted Sikh!

Drkhalsa ji,

Many thanks for your comments -- so encouraging -- because it is easy to doubt oneself. 500 years ago or more all Sikhs were converts from something. All we can hope is that each Sikh helps the next Sikh in times of confusion. :) We look to people like to you show the way.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hi every body
It was nice to know that people still yearn after "true sikhi". I for myself have struggled along a wavered path but never doubted the Guru's love for me and his forgiveness for all my misdemeanours. I feel He knows our frailties and we are as fickle as the flesh we are made in. "Ant lai chhadayee"( in the end He will save me) is what I believe in after each day of "Nigurapan"! I feel for a sikh to be a Ni-Guraa is the worst state - the state varies in degrees.. but redemption is still a possibility. "If you walk towards Him one step He walks toward you a million steps.".. is what Gurbani says and I believe it totally.

muneet ji

Your words are genuine. My feelings are so often like your own. My own belief is that He hears every cry for forgiveness and every cry for His support.

From Guru Nanak,

ਮਨ ਏਕੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਸਿ ਮੂੜ ਮਨਾ ॥
man eaek n chaethas moorr manaa ||
O foolish people, why don't you remember the One Lord?

ਹਰਿ ਬਿਸਰਤ ਤੇਰੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਲਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
har bisarath thaerae gun galiaa ||1|| rehaao ||
Forgetting the Lord, your virtues shall wither away. ||1||Pause||

ਨਾ ਹਉ ਜਤੀ ਸਤੀ ਨਹੀ ਪੜਿਆ ਮੂਰਖ ਮੁਗਧਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਭਇਆ ॥
naa ho jathee sathee nehee parriaa moorakh mugadhhaa janam bhaeiaa ||
I am not a celibate, nor am I truthful, nor a scholar; I was born foolish and ignorant.

ਪ੍ਰਣਵਤਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕੀ ਸਰਣਾ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਤੂੰ ਨਾਹੀ ਵੀਸਰਿਆ ॥੨॥੨੯॥
pranavath naanak thinh kee saranaa jinh thoon naahee veesariaa ||2||29||
Prays Nanak, I seek the Sanctuary of those who do not forget You, Lord. ||2||29||

From Guru Teg Bahadur

ਅਟਲ ਭਇਓ ਧ੍ਰੂਅ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਅਰੁ ਨਿਰਭੈ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
attal bhaeiou dhhrooa jaa kai simaran ar nirabhai padh paaeiaa ||
Meditating on Him in remembrance, Dhroo became immortal, and obtained the state of fearlessness.

ਦੁਖ ਹਰਤਾ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤੈ ਕਾਹੇ ਬਿਸਰਾਇਆ ॥੧॥
dhukh harathaa eih bidhh ko suaamee thai kaahae bisaraaeiaa ||1||
The Lord and Master removes suffering in this way - why have you forgotten Him? ||1||

ਜਬ ਹੀ ਸਰਨਿ ਗਹੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਗਜ ਗਰਾਹ ਤੇ ਛੂਟਾ ॥
jab hee saran gehee kirapaa nidhh gaj garaah thae shhoottaa ||
As soon as the
elephant took to the protective Sanctuary of the Lord, the ocean of mercy, he escaped from the crocodile.

Reassurance is everywhere in Guruji. Always the message is to remember Him.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Quote From aad0002

The sikhi of Guru Nanak is devoid of rituals. It is difficult to practice as there are hardly any ritualistic things to do. The sikhi is to go within. It is to live as even a householder and be with the Guru within. So people with diverse backgrounds can easily go forward.

The Guru arranges the satsangat as per needs. The affairs too are resolved both of the outer world and blocks before the inner world.

aad0002

I cannot hold myself from calling above comments a factual introduction to Nanak Panth well known as Sikhism. It starts within. What is within, one needs to analyze. Guru ji pointed at “panj Bhoot( Five primal negative forces also known as Ego, Anger, Lust, greed and deep attachment.) Once, presence of these five is recognized, a battle needs to be started. It will be very furious battle only for those who are sincere but for the hypocrites, business remains usual. Rituals lose importance because then only Guru bachan turns into a weapon to have a victory over them. No giving up if “ falls “occur, because, one has the weapon, an asset(Sincerity) and unconditional love for the Creator that keep elevating the soul. I am still battling, am I happier than before?you bet, I live a feeling of being totally armed to win. Will HE bless me ever, I don’t know, but isn’t it enough for me that HE makes me feel HE is with me!

Quote Carolinislands“ I don't want people to ask me if I'm a Sikh because I simply don't feel worthy to represent Sikhi.
Aad0002 Ji, here is Caroline expressing feeling of a responsibility for not only herself but also for the panth of Guru Nanak. She doent want any one even say this if she fails to represent Sikhs” are Sikhs like this? I bow before that kind of behavior

Dalkhalsa

Dalkhalsa Ji
Very true, because who convert into a new faith, they are more seriously devoted. First thing they think is to worthy of the faith, many of them just go deep down to it, and some others who just get Sikhi like a buy one get one free, they lack that kind of sincerity, you know how free thing is treated!

Maneet

If you walk towards Him one step He walks toward you a million steps.".. is what Gurbani says and I believe it totally.

Absolutely true, who has doubts about it, should try it and experience this fact[/FONT]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

Needless to say, I have great respect for every word you have stated here. Expecially this, when you said, No giving up if “ falls “occur, because, one has the weapon, an asset(Sincerity) and unconditional love for the Creator that keep elevating the soul.

My admiration for what you are saying comes from the honesty and the humility behind your words.

One little thing, and please so not take offense. I am not sure I am the one who said

I wish that I had thought of that. Thank you for thinking that it was me. Will try to figure who did.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM