• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Is A Rehit Naamee Sikh?

shardeep

SPNer
Jun 5, 2005
Atlanta
Sat Shiri Akaal jee,

I am wondering where did you hear this nomenclature ..." Rehit Naamee Sikh" !!!!

May be someone trying to characterize .....Amritdhari Sikh in more definable definition ??

Fateh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Dear all and Shardeep Jee!

Quote "I am wondering where did you hear this nomenclature ..." Rehit Naamee Sikh" !!!!"
Original Rehitnaamaas for Sikhs are not written from the reverend Gurus. Some people have given those the title Rehatnaamaas. The Sikh authorities have changed its name to Rehat Maryaadaa. Accordingly the Sikhs have reached the development in their lives. They are changing their masks with the time from Rehitnaamee Sikhs to Rehat Maryaadee Sikhs.
My curiosity is to know. What has happened with the true Guroo's Sikh, the Gursikh?

Quote "May be someone trying to characterize .....Amritdhari Sikh in more definable definition ??"
The true Amritdhaaree Sikh is one who is in ecstasy with Naam Amrit. He does not need any cosmetic.

Balbir Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all!

The words 'rehit' and 'rehat' often occur in Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee explaining 'without'.

May I ask if Rehitnaamys or Rehat-Maryaadaa were introduced since Sikhs lost the wisdom of the true Sabad Guru?

Balbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Rehit, or rahit, same work with different spelling refers to guidelines for conduct. In Guru Nanak's time, this word rehit refered to how one should conduct oneself as a Gursikh, as guidelines for virtuous, outward living. After the death of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji there were a number of rehit that were written down.

1. Tanakhah-nama (Nasihat Nama) Samvat 1776 (1718-19 CE), ten years after the death of Guru Gobind Singh.
  2. The Prahilad Rai Rahit-nama
  3. Sakhi Rahit ki: About 1735 CE
  4. Chaupa Singh Rahit-nama: 1740-1765 CE (1700 CE according to Piara Singh Padam). Chaupa Singh was a member of the Guru's retinue. He was entrusted with the care of infant Gobind Das by Guru Tegh Bahadur. Some members of Chaupa Singh's family became martyrs with the Guru Tegh Bahadur in Delhi and others served under the 10th Guru.
  5. Desa Singh Rahit-nama: late 18th century
  6. Daya Singh Rahit-nama
The current Rehat Maryada was approved in 1950. All the rehits, rehats, rahits are guidelines for outward conduct, for virtuous living.

So in my humble opinion, wisdom of the Shabad Guru is not lost by rehit's. Rehits are guidelines for living in line with the 'Shabad Guru. But obviously Shabad Guru exists quite independently of rehits, rahits, rehats.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
SHABAD..IS "guru"
guru of what ? Body ??
NO.
Shabad is Guru of Surt.....Dhyaan....GYAAN GURU OF SURT...Consciousness...
All these cannot be seen/felt/by human body....beyond nature of five senses
Any one who is "Conscious" is in Surt....unconscious..is in coma//unconscious..and if more permeanent..then DEAD.
Gyani Jarnail Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all!

Quote from Aad0002 Jee "Rehit, or rahit, same work with different spelling refers to guidelines for conduct. In Guru Nanak's time, this word rehit refered to how one should conduct oneself as a Gursikh, as guidelines for virtuous, outward living."
Please listen. Gurdev is singing.
jnm mrx qy rhq nwrwiex ]1] rhwau ]
jnm mrx qy rhq nwrwex ]1] rhwa ]
janam maran tay rahat naaraa-in. ||1|| rahaa-o. SGGS Ang 1136.
Naaraain is without birth, death.

May I ask why some Baabaas and preachers are trying to convince Sikhs that Naaraain is in Rehit or Rehat Naamaas?

Quote "After the death of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji there were a number of rehit that were written down."
Why Sikhs did not write code of conducts in presence of the true Gurus?
Strange. Some realize the Guru's death.
Surprise. The Guru is living within though singing. All is Gobind.
The Sabad Guru at the utmost merges in God.

Quote "All the rehits, rehats, rahits are guidelines for outward conduct, for virtuous living."
With the true Guru one recognizes the deep core conduct, called true Dharma. Virtuous living begins with true Dharma. No outward conduct can be implemented ('thopiaa' or 'thaapiaa') there.

Quote "So in my humble opinion, wisdom of the Shabad Guru is not lost by rehit's."
Please come to receive the Sabad Guru and realize truth. Receiving the Sabad Guru one understands the word Rehit, meaning without or guidelines as per your sympathy, also.

Quote "So in my humble opinion, wisdom of the Shabad Guru is not lost by rehit's. Rehits are guidelines for living in line with the 'Shabad Guru."
I have not found one instruction from Rehitnaamays (guidelines) that also the true Guroos suggest. Please mention one if you have found so. I will be grateful.

Quote "But obviously Shabad Guru exists quite independently of rehits, rahits, rehats."
I hope some have realized the difference.

Gyani Jarnail Singh Jee,
Thanks for your post.

Balbir Singh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
SHABAD..IS "guru"
guru of what ? Body ??
NO.
Shabad is Guru of Surt.....Dhyaan....GYAAN GURU OF SURT...Consciousness...
All these cannot be seen/felt/by human body....beyond nature of five senses
Any one who is "Conscious" is in Surt....unconscious..is in coma//unconscious..and if more permeanent..then DEAD.
Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Ji - the word dead is perhaps misleading as it's intepretation could mean no action. But if understood correctly, dead means dead towards the world and alive in soul consciousness.

...........................Chubhi rehay surt prabh charnan mein

khalsa mero roop hai khaas...........................................

.............jot jaghe ghat mein, tab khalas tae nikhalay janey

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Nam Jap -- I think Gyani meant "dead" as in "dead." Balbir ji -- rehitnama means rehitnama -- that is what it means.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Balbir ji

When NamJap sees this he is going to be annoyed to say the least. Civility is one of the values NamJap holds dear to heart. Now what you have written is not civil to say the least. However, I will take it with a dose of humor -- you are clever -- and actually, aad zero zero zero duality -- well it could be worse.

harjaspal

SPNer
Dec 8, 2007
I understand that you mean to say rehtwan sikh.
A sikh always use waheguru ji ka khalsa wahegur ji ki fateh, and sat sri akal is used at the time of war, nowadays while army attacks on enemy they uses it as " jangi nahara"
Reht as we found in primary literature and secondary literature. In primary literature we found in Sri guru granth sahibji, varan Bhai Gurdas ji, Kabit Bhai Gurdas ji, Sri Dasam Granth, Bhai Nand Lal ji,

" Gursikh meet chalo Gur chali"

Secondary Sources.,

Rasmi rehtname written in the name of renown personalities and other literature written after the period of crucial time of sikhs when they are compelled to live in jungle beles. At that hard time they need specific rehat to survive their existence and identity. some granth like prachin Panth parkash written by Rattan Singh Bhangu and Giani Gian Singh, Mehma Parkash, Gurbilas P-6, Gurbilas written by sukha singh and Sr. Koer Singh

In these granths we find reht meryada, The rehtmaryada compiled by SGPC and published is a rehtmaryada which is accepted by the common sikhs and scholers nowadays.

harjaspal singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Harjaspal Singh Jee!

Thanks for your input.

Quote "A sikh always use waheguru ji ka khalsa wahegur ji ki fateh, and sat sri akal is used at the time of war, . . ."
I have met Sikhs mostly greeting Sat Sri Akaal. Amritdhaaree Sikhs are trying to promote 'Waahe Guru Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Waahe Guru Jee Kee Fateh'.
My curiosity is to know if the reverend Gurus have once mentioned these Slogans and emphasized on these?

Quote "Reht as we found in primary literature and secondary literature. In primary literature we found in Sri guru granth sahibji, . . ."
I did not know that some find Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee the primary literature.
Please provide a reference of Reht in Sri Guru Granth Saahib Jee that Sikhs have adopted in the present Reht Maryaadaa. I will be thankful.

Thanks referring the wonderful Vaak from Gurdev.
gurisK mIq clhu gur cwlI ]
gurisK mIq clhu gur cwlI ]
gur sikh meet chalhu gur chaalee. SGGS Ang 667

Should I walk the Gur way as Gurdev is suggesting or the SGPC way? Please clear it.

Quote "At that hard time they need specific rehat to survive their existence and identity."
Have I understood it correctly? Rehat changes when needed in hard times to survive the existence and identity. Truth and the Guru's words remain the same though.

Quote "The rehtmaryada compiled by SGPC and published is a rehtmaryada which is accepted by the common sikhs and scholers nowadays."
May I ask why the earlier writings after the Guru's time are entitled Rehitnaamays and the present code of conduct Reht Maryaadaa?
Does this show that Sikhee is evolving?

Balbir Singh

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all!

God blesses one with the true Naam Sabad through the Satguroo. One becomes the Gursikh.

God deviates one away from true Naam Sabad through Maya. One becomes a Rehit-Naamee Sikh.

Balbir Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: