• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
why is that sir?

I cannot see the difference between a promiscuous virgin and a Brahmin Sikh, perhaps you could explain where my thinking is wrong, I would be eternally grateful

Gurjot317

SPNer
Aug 2, 2012
why is that sir?

I cannot see the difference between a promiscuous virgin and a Brahmin Sikh, perhaps you could explain where my thinking is wrong, I would be eternally grateful

Firstly,i dont believe in caste etc and i m here to ask about few qns in my mind.

so plz elaborate bold part

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, Sikhs do not believe in caste, so are you asking about Sikhs that were originally Brahmin, or Sikhs that consider themselves Brahmin at present?

If you are talking about Sikhs that are currently Brahmin, that is an oxy{censored}. The two, as per Bani, SRM etc cannot co exist.

A promiscuous virgin is also clearly an oxy{censored}.

Other examples of oxy{censored} use

A mechanically sound Jeep Cherokee
A round square
A sympathetic lawyer
An honourable banker

etc etc

RobbieS

SPNer
Aug 7, 2012
Ok, Sikhs do not believe in caste, so are you asking about Sikhs that were originally Brahmin, or Sikhs that consider themselves Brahmin at present?

If you are talking about Sikhs that are currently Brahmin, that is an oxy{censored}. The two, as per Bani, SRM etc cannot co exist.

A promiscuous virgin is also clearly an oxy{censored}.

Other examples of oxy{censored} use

A mechanically sound Jeep Cherokee
A round square
A sympathetic lawyer
An honourable banker

etc etc

I think he did mean Sikhs that were originally Hindu brahmins.

Based on my experience, there are very few of those in Punjab. Nor sure about abroad. I know of only one family who are practicing Sikhs but still use Sharma as their surname.

Aug 28, 2016
Dear Harry jee, Sat Sri Akal
why is that sir?

I am a Brahmin Sikh, my forefathers where Brahmins from Punj-Rajouri sector in J&K India. The place is called Pooch now in modern India. Took shelter with our Guru - Navam Patshashi. Our family contributes one Amritdhari Sikh male child as a family tradition since 1699. We moved to France under orders of General Ventura, Commander of Fauj-e-Khaas forces under Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

Another, Brahmin Sikh was Baba Banda Singh Bahadur jee. Born in Chibber Brahmin family in Rajouri. Made 'Singh' by Dasham Pita himself. I am married to a Bhardwaj Sikh girl from Ferozpur, Indian Punjab.

Sikhism equates all castes. But unfortunately we still use terms like Jat Sikhs, Khatri Sikhs, Rajput Sikhs.

Regards
Arjan

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Dear Harry jee, Sat Sri Akal

I am a Brahmin Sikh, my forefathers where Brahmins from Punj-Rajouri sector in J&K India. The place is called Pooch now in modern India. Took shelter with our Guru - Navam Patshashi. Our family contributes one Amritdhari Sikh male child as a family tradition since 1699. We moved to France under orders of General Ventura, Commander of Fauj-e-Khaas forces under Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

Another, Brahmin Sikh was Baba Banda Singh Bahadur jee. Born in Chibber Brahmin family in Rajouri. Made 'Singh' by Dasham Pita himself. I am married to a Bhardwaj Sikh girl from Ferozpur, Indian Punjab.

Sikhism equates all castes. But unfortunately we still use terms like Jat Sikhs, Khatri Sikhs, Rajput Sikhs.

Regards
Arjan
many thanks, I did not mean it an offensive way only that it seems a contradiction in terms, ie, I did not know such a thing existed.

What is a Brahmin Sikh?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I am a Brahmin Sikh,

Could you also explain the contradiction in the above, my point was that a Brahmin Sikh does not actually exist, we are all Sikhs regardless of our background. I am with you on the second point, but confused by the first, you are labelling yourself and then protesting at the labels of others.

Aug 28, 2016
The contradiction is in our society. I had to write the word 'Brahmin Sikh' to explain such a thing exists. I highlighted the contradiction by further mentioning the divide of caste-ism easily seen in terms like Jat Sikhs, Khatri Sikhs etc. Ideally there should not be any term like Brahmins, Khatris or Jats in our religion, and that is where you are right. But thats ideal scenario, not reality. Infact, there should not be any second-name(surname) apart from Singh. Hope I answered you well.

Aug 28, 2016
The contradiction is in our society. I had to write the word 'Brahmin Sikh' to explain such a thing exists. I highlighted the contradiction by further mentioning the divide of caste-ism easily seen in terms like Jat Sikhs, Khatri Sikhs etc. Ideally there should not be any term like Brahmins, Khatris or Jats in our religion, and that is where you are right. But thats ideal scenario, not reality. Infact, there should not be any second-name(surname) apart from Singh. Hope I answered you well.
May I add that all the above terms that I mentioned are equally analogous to a promiscuous Virgin. Regards

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
May I add that all the above terms that I mentioned are equally analogous to a promiscuous Virgin. Regards

I am getting more confused, a promiscuous virgin does not exist, to be promiscuous one cannot be a virgin. To be a Brahmin, one cannot be a Sikh, one would have given up any reference to Brahmin upon embracing Sikhism.

Is there a practice that would help me that is exclusive to Brahmin Sikhs? You mentioned the contribution of a child, could you explain further?

Aug 28, 2016
I am getting more confused, a promiscuous virgin does not exist, to be promiscuous one cannot be a virgin. To be a Brahmin, one cannot be a Sikh, one would have given up any reference to Brahmin upon embracing Sikhism.

Is there a practice that would help me that is exclusive to Brahmin Sikhs? You mentioned the contribution of a child, could you explain further?
All I am saying is that you are right.

Regarding your second question:
Some Brahmin families in Punjab still have a tradition of making 1 son an Amritdhari.. I am one like that and so is my father, but not my brother. It is popular in my family that Dasham Guru had desired his brahmin followers to contribute atleast 1 son to be a soldier, and hence the tradition. Whichever son has more inclination towards religion can choose to be Amritdhari. Nobody forces the other son to be Amritdhari.

I feel many Indian families dont do that actively now

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
All I am saying is that you are right.

Regarding your second question:
Some Brahmin families in Punjab still have a tradition of making 1 son an Amritdhari.. I am one like that and so is my father, but not my brother. It is popular in my family that Dasham Guru had desired his brahmin followers to contribute atleast 1 son to be a soldier, and hence the tradition. Whichever son has more inclination towards religion can choose to be Amritdhari. Nobody forces the other son to be Amritdhari.

I feel many Indian families dont do that actively now

In all honesty I am fascinated, so is your wife a Sikh? would that mean your brothers are Hindus? but your father is a Sikh?

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
in my knowledge the hindus who made their first son a Sikh are generally khattris not brahamans. but there are odd brahmin who become Sikhs but their first son not necessary

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Could any body throw light on Brahmin Sikhs? I want to get knowledge about dem.
Sikhism does not believe in castes. Whosoever follows the ten gurus and Sri Guru Granth sahib is a Sikh. There are no Brahmin, Arora, Khatrim Jatt, Ramgarhia Sikhs. Those who follow castes are not Sikhs. Manas ki jaat sabhai eko pehchanbo.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM