• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Which Religions Will Last In Their Current Forms?

Which religions will we still recognise in 3000 AD?

• Buddhism

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Christainity

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Confucianism

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Animism (eg: Shinto)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sikhism

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Islam

• Hindusim

• Jainism

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Wicca

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Shamanism/Tribal religions

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
Jun 1, 2004
Simple question. Which of the current crop of world religions will be around in a recognisable form in 1000 years time from now, and what features of them do you think contribute to their durability?

Or if you prefer, what characteristics of specific current religions do you think will contribute to their demise?

Regards

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
LOL @ the people who actually think Sikhi will last.
And in current form Sikhi incorporates Khalsa which incorporates the 5 K's.
Which, if you think thats gonna last the test of time...then ha.

Buddhism and Hinduism are the only ones that so far seem as if they will last for that long. Buddhism I'm pretty sure of, but not so sure about Hinduism.

Singhstah

SPNer
Jul 13, 2004
UK
S|kH said:
LOL @ the people who actually think Sikhi will last.
And in current form Sikhi incorporates Khalsa which incorporates the 5 K's.
Which, if you think thats gonna last the test of time...then ha.

Buddhism and Hinduism are the only ones that so far seem as if they will last for that long. Buddhism I'm pretty sure of, but not so sure about Hinduism.

If youve got an attitude like that why are you still a Sikh?WHy not convert to Buddhism or hinduism

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Singhstah said:
If youve got an attitude like that why are you still a Sikh?WHy not convert to Buddhism or hinduism
Singhstah, I object your reply.

S|kh, please support your views with references.

Moderator's Note : No personal attacks please. Thanks for the help.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Singhstah said:

I am Sikh because I can admit the Sikh and Khalsa panth's faults and deterioration. I am not a blind follower to the masses, I am no tool. I will not just believe.

I am Sikh because I contemplate the Guru's meaning and the meaning of the truth.

I am Sikh because I use reason and rationale to disregard rituals, and blind faith.

I will NOT convert to what ever is best suitable for the society, or whatever seems to "last longer".

What does my view of the future of Sikhi have anything to do with me being Sikh?

I am Sikh because instead of sitting back and hoping for someone to fix the problem, I will state the problem until everyone is aware so we can fix it together. Or I will attempt to fix it myself.

Matter of fact, I can be the last sardar alive, the last Khalsa alive (I'm not Khalsa yet, but someday....soon, hopefully)..and I'll have known that I lived my life the way I wanted to, and lived it to the fullest.

I do not believe in a messiah, I do not believe Bhindranwale will come back and save us, I do not believe Guruji will return to show us the way.

This is life, these are our problems, and if you can't even see these problems, then the future that I state is highly probable for the Sikhs.

thanks for the personal attacks ;)

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
etinder said:
Moderator's Note : hey guys lets not be personal here, Slkh ji i request you to kindly quote the references/reasons

Buddhism is often referred to a "psychology" rather than a religion. Everything in Buddhism is basically based off experience rather than belief. They do not believe in dieties that will help, or dieties that did help humans. They do not care if the creationism or evolutionism is correct. They live for Nirvana, which is a clear mind state, which everyone can experience.

Sikhism in it's current form will not last, because as society progresses, (whats that word...worried about looks, ascetics?) also increases. No one can relate the reasons to be Khalsa and put it into words that see fit for todays youth. People lose belief in diety that controls over them. That is why most westernized cultures lose belief in God. Whether this is good or bad, is your decision to make. But, as cultures become more advanced, the necessity to meditate on a supreme diety over you declines. No one see's it necessary. Sikhism relies on a belief in God, and that God *created* you the way you are, and you shouldn't change it. (i.e. keep your hair). This answer will not be sufficient enough for most youth, hence Sikhi in its current form will not last.

What we do need, is a book or some sort of written form, that will unite Khalsa with the essence of Sikhi, and make it so evident and true that kids will also read it in wanderment.

Sikhi will become so personal, that it'll just be either only a "hereditary" thing, or just practiced among a small circle of families. That is a GREAT change from todays form of Sikhi.

Eclectic

SPNer
Nov 11, 2004
Believe it or not, I think if the newer religions such as Christianity do not acknowledge their apparent mixed history of earlier religions, I think people will move to the tribal early religions as a way of getting in touch.

Eclectic

SPNer
Nov 11, 2004
S|kH said:
The Wiccan religion, or pagan...is actually increasing "membership" in the United States

Paganism is a very broad term for many faiths. There is a discussion about it here on the forums if you're interested in learning more about this umbrella term. Wicca is but a portion of the vast Pagan religions. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Sadly, not sikhi, it is going to much inot rituals and getting more and more culturally polarized. Not to mention that we are way far behind in terms of reaching out and being more organized. I wanted to vote for bahiai as the religion that will remain intact.

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
I don't see sikhism lasting.
Who came up with term Sikh anyway, was it the ppl who followed Guru Nanak's teachings?

Religions come and go.

Who Knows whats in stores. Another enlightened sole might come in 200yrs from now and his/her followers might start a new path. it is already happening to some extent.

Thanks to communication age the message in Guru Granth Saheb is spreading. People are amazed by science mentioned in Guru Granth Saheb for example, those who can read it in Gurmukhi admire its poetic nature. But i don't see people becoming sikhs in terms of kesh.

The base of any religion are its teachings or the base is the holy book. In my opinion Guru Granth Saheb invokes spirituality, it did in my case. I believe in God. But i don't see my self ever taking amrit at the moment.

Can someone please tell me where in Guru Granth Saheb it is written, Kesh is Gods gift, so we shall not cut it...or thats how God made us..so we shall not change it.

5k's are the uniform of the Khalsa. It is an announcement to the world here i am. Khalsa fights against injustice, tries to protect the week. Its as much a soldier as its a saint. What soldier like attributes do the current sikhs have. One who have 5'ks - how many of these practice martial arts. Can they even defend themselves?

The pure Khalsa, 5ks - true saint soldier are only very few at the moment. i only see them decreasing over time. but i do see the message of Guru Granth Saheb spreading over time.

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
It is in the rehat maryada and i think that should be enough...I think that sikhi will last once we get a PROPER leadership, get organized, and an inspiration for the youth to try to understand this beautiful faith...if not sikhi it will be either Buddhism or Bhai'a because the rest act like businesses(it seem's that is the way that sikhism is going as well)

navroopsingh

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Well firstly there was the rehat that the guru's compiled but afterwards many different rehats have been compiled and only recently was one acknowledged as the one to follow...however different sects do follow different ones

To find more on then, try searching on sikhwiki.com or google, sure ull find some info u need

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM