• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom Where Were The Nihangs In 1984?

bairaagi

SPNer
Dec 25, 2011
gurgaon
Only one answer : The time has changed . Now a day everyone is responsible for his own defense.
Ideally military or police is supposed to do this job but unfortunately they are controlled by Governments. And you know the role of govts/police/military is well known in this situations. Even cases were reported where sikhs had guns and trying to protect their families were arrested by Police and families were left for killings.
Nihangs is no organized military today and you can't expect them to be everywhere to defend people. This incident has changed lot of things and most of the sikhs have procured licensed weapons at least in my neighborhood.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
They were there as GOVT CONTRACTORS though...to take GOI Funds and rebuild the destroyed "BUILDINGS/FACADES"....Santa Singh nihung led the rebuilding squad composed of Biharee laborers also...( Presumably becasue the Nihungs cant WORK since they never worked a honest days labour )

bairaagi

SPNer
Dec 25, 2011
gurgaon
If every sikh is a khalsa then why one should be expecting Nihangs to come and defend.
Every Sikh should be defending for himself.
Question is how ?
At the time of Guru Gobind Singh , sikhs were provided training for the weapons and martial arts (for those interested) . This is not feasible today in so called civilized world. If someone starts such practice then risk of declaring terrorist or naxalites by govt. is there .
On practical side even if someone is trained today then how could one fight alone with a mass of thousand people with 4 inch Kripan . Maximum he will be able to kill/wound 1-2 person in defense. One need automatic weapon in such case.

bscheema

SPNer
Jan 4, 2010
this is out of discussion ...but i as veer ji above said we need weapons automatic , well i dont think so . we just need confidence and adaptation which we are losing
we need education
we need officers in IPS ,IAS
we need strong politics (although one of which is surrender to badal )
we need self improvement (stop blaming each others within sikh community )
weapons are out of trend these days .

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Some Sikhs and Nihangs did fight during the riots, but there are many accounts of corrupt Police coming and disarming Sikhs and making them go home. The Delhi Police were complicit in this.:angryyoungsingh:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Veer Tigerstylez ji thanks for starting this thread and a good topic indeed. One observation that perhaps has not been made yet.
Sat siri akal sangat jio,

i recently had tought on the Subject 1984 and the question above come up.

What are your toughts? Why they did not participate or defend during riots?

I came upon this link so nihangs had a role, but why not all?

http://www.nihangsingh.org/blog/?p=773
Nihangs are sub-ordinate to no one including say Sant Bhindranwale ji. So they have their own independent cadre, thinking and style. May be they have become little pacifist seeing all the garbage happening all around them including coming from Sikhs in high places religiously or otherwise. Perhaps they want such people to self destruct.

There is a comment by another poster (BS Cheema) regarding need for Sikhs to be in IAS and IPS. I believe at the time of the carnage in Punjab even if 10% of the then IAS and IPS have raised their conscience to the level Guru Gobind Singh ji established of Khalsa, this would have been resolved with much less damage. People are little inclined whether Sikhs or others to trade their jobs for what is right or their conscience. Is it right or wrong, who am I to say!

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

bairaagi

SPNer
Dec 25, 2011
gurgaon
this is out of discussion ...but i as veer ji above said we need weapons automatic , well i dont think so . we just need confidence and adaptation which we are losing
we need education
we need officers in IPS ,IAS
we need strong politics (although one of which is surrender to badal )
we need self improvement (stop blaming each others within sikh community )
weapons are out of trend these days .

I agree that weapons are out of trend. I was explaining the practical situation today and trying to compare it with scenario 300 years ago that to fight one would need auto weapons.
One cannot live in past and has to change with time.
If a religion does not change with time then there will be issue .We have a very good example of "Religion of Peace" and kind of issue their followers are facing because they are so adamant to change. Sometimes I feel we have become just like them and do not realize when history starts acting as brainwashing to latest generation.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Why I did not get any mail, that people replied to the topic..?

Anyway... First-thanks for your answers!

Yes , of course nearly all of you are right in their statements and points. But what do the Nihangs do? Did they just sit down and watched people / their brothers/sisters getting killed? I mean, they are trained in Shastar Vidiya or not? Shastar Vidiya includes firearms as well! Or did they had not enough weapons resources etc..? I Mean if Nihangs say they are direct followers of Guru Gobind SIngh ji, it is their RESPONSIBILITY to defend or not????

@bairaagi,

of course we need to change and should start sticking to weapons , this is not the problem , as you know in world wars SIkhs fought with automatical weapons as well.. But Sikhi is perfect, why you want it to change with time? SIkhi is for the past , future and the now.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Why I did not get any mail, that people replied to the topic..?

I checked the email settings and you should receive the emails as soon as anybody replies for the first time... then only after you have viewed the thread after the email, you will receive another email as soon as another reply comes...

Sometimes these emails land in your spam/trash folders. So, if you would look for them in these folders and mark them as no spam, then in future you would/should get them in your inbox. Hope that helps.

Gurufateh!

:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Last possible explanation for the problem may be about network security filters.

If you are using a Windows-based machine, see if you can lower your security settings. Sometimes they are set so high they block almost everything with dynamic web content.

If you are using a computer at a school, university, hospital, agency, office working on defense contracts ... any place where there is a central IT department ... see if security filters have been set to block certain types of ISP addresses and/or content. There should be a way for an individual to "raise" the filter. This happens to us at work all the time. We send emails to school teachers/principals and they do not receive them because the school district IT has blocked us. The problem always gets fixed.

If you are using a free, public WiFi network, one supported by your city on behalf of all citizens in the area or by a restaurant, test your email with a friend or neighbor who is on a privately paid internet connection.

p/s I am glad it does not matter now, but personally this would make me crazy until I was able to find a fix.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM