• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

When Brides Become Scarce?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
When Brides Become Scarce by Laika Jain
Copyright ©Tribune News Service

Alarmed at the rising incidence of female foeticide in India, and a declining sex ration in Punjab, an edict was issued in August 2000 from the Akal Takhat - the highest temporal seat in Sikhism – warning that Sikhs indulging in it would be excommunicated since female infanticide is categorically forbidden in the faith.

Both Indian and international media hailed the edict “revolutionary” and congratulatory messages were received from religious heads, social organizations, doctors, lawyers and intellectuals as reported in The Hindu (Hyderabad, April 22, 2001) with a suggestion that “Other religious leaders should take note of the ill-effects of the practice of female foeticide.”-- Editor

Amidst the euphoria surrounding the birth of the billionth Indian baby to a couple in New Delhi in May, what escaped the attention of demographers was a warning note sounded by the World Bank: Indian men will very soon have fewer options for marriage!

According to projections made by Monica Dasgupta of the World Bank, males born between 1980 and 1984 would discover, upon entering the marriage market, that there are 6 per cent fewer potential brides than earlier. And those born after 1985 would encounter a still greater shortage.
In a country notorious for discriminating between male and female offspring, the latter continue to top infant mortality charts. Daughters are unwelcome in many households. A boy boosts the family income and brings in a dowry when he marries.

A girl, on the other hand, is paraya dhan (someone else's wealth) because she will belong to the family she marries into, and her dowry and wedding expenses will bleed the family she leaves. So sons are regarded as assets and daughters as liabilities.

Explains Vimla Sharma, a researcher with the Indian Institute of Population Sciences (IIPS), New Delhi:
We are still bogged down by the directives of Manusmriti (Codes of Manu, an ancient treatise) which make a girl child the most unwanted member in a household.
Moreover, in a predominantly agrarian economy, every new male in the family means an additional farm hand. Girls cannot put in that kind of labour. So no matter what the government does, as long as India remains dependant on farming, the problem of gender discrimination will persist.
Its worst consequence is female infanticide. In South India, girls are fed the sap of a poisonous cactus plant and "put to sleep" within hours of their birth. In Rajput families, doodh pilana is a common ritual reserved for new-born girls. Parents immerse the helpless child in a tub of milk, till she chokes to death.

Many other parents ensure that their daughters are fed with leftovers and get less medical attention then their boys so that child mortality is higher among girls. The result is a male surplus population, which exceeds 10 per cent in North India, where discrimination is worst.

Parents of girls have, however, faced a puzzle since long. If there are more men than women, grooms should have a tougher time than brides in the marriage market. And yet, experience shows it is the other way round.
The answer to this puzzle lies in the age difference between men and women at marriage. If men married women at the same age, brides would be scarce: In every age group (save the very old), there are more men than women.

But men generally marry girls several years younger. The average gap was 7 years in the 19th century, fell to 6.1 years in 1931, 5 years by 1981 and 4.2 years by 1991. It may be around 3.5 years today.

In a static population this does not matter. In a growing population however, this means fewer 30-year-olds than 20-year-olds, who in turn are outnumbered by 15-year-olds. So, even if there are fewer females in every age group, there are more 20-year-old girls than 24-year-old boys. This explains why grooms have been scarce for so long.
Says Sharma:
In the past centuries, India has witnessed a zero growth rate in population because mortality rates offset fertility rates. So an age gap at marriage did not increase the availability of brides. In those circumstances, the killing of little girls created a shortage of brides.
In effect, the parents of grooms, far from demanding dowry, typically paid a bride-price to parents of brides. This may surprise those who think of dowry as an ancient Indian tradition. The truth is that dowry was earlier limited to upper castes and bride-price was the norm among lower castes.
Things changed dramatically in the 20th century. Improvements in health care meant that population rose rapidly. Progressively there were more 15-year-olds than 20-year-olds. This more than offset the impact of girl killing and dowry replaced bride price.

The shortage of grooms became as high as 12 per cent for those who entered the marriage market in the early 1960s, and dowries zoomed. Subsequently, trends began changing. The fertility rate fell steadily and so eventually did annual births. The surplus of young girls began shrinking.
This trend was strengthened by the steady decrease in average age gap at marriage. The result is that the surplus of brides has disappeared for men born in 1975-79, who are just coming in the marriage market. And those born in 1980-84 will be even more hard up at finding suitable brides.

Source

Attachments

• bridal_hand.jpg
    bridal_hand.jpg
    31.7 KB · Reads: 2,252

newkid

SPNer
Feb 4, 2010
Wow. I could never believe someone would kill their own baby because of money. It's great someone is doing something about it. :happy:

Jan 1, 2010
It is a hard fact that the discrimination against women in every aspect of life is quite visible. They have been sexually exploited, theri battering, rapes and murders are reported in the news on daily basis. We don't talk to India alone the exploitation of women is being done world wide.

Point of discussion: Female Foeticide:

1. It is due to the medical sciences development that crime of killing of female foeticide begins with the sex determination tests.
  2. Due to the notion of woman as the family honour and heightened concern for their safety. As till date in India Love affairs are considered sin and if the girl child entangle in love affair it is said as a great set back to the family dignity and honour.
  3. "Tu mera pita, tu hai mera maata", Tu mera bandhap tu mera bhrata" The feelings and teachings of our holy Granth we don't think on doing this sin. You are my father, You are my mother, You are my relative and you are my brother.
  4. The greed of money due to dowry factor. "Eh maiya jit hai visre, moh upjae bhao dooja laiya" Maya is that which makes a human being forget God and creates attachment resulting in a sense of duality.
So, friends give attention to the message of almighty. We should follow the path of Universal love and humanism. Try to do the deed which is good for humanity and you should not repent on your deeds thereafter. Whenever we do such type of deed of female foteticide one corner of mind always make us aware about the sin.
Rajneesh madhok

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
WHOA slow down tiger!

college girls are a handful...opinionated, go get yourself a non-fancy village girl who knows how to make a round chapati :afriends2:

Are you sure about .."rural" girls ?? Now a days there is no such thing..only in bollywood films !! The so called simple rural girl may turn YOU into a round chappatee before you even realise whats happening....chaalakeean are going rural too...

In Rural Context...a reputable Girl can NEVER marry a fellow resident...no matter if he is not family/related/ etc..its simply NOT DONE. And girls and boys..being what they are..TV and films and internet...helping the "valentine spirit" along....what happens ? almost every boy/girl has a relationship/flame....and thats why when the girl gets married off..she returns and plays hide and seek with her village lover..or the boyfriend visits her at her newly wedded place/village.....and they play hide and seek there until discovered.....several murders have also happeened over such banned liasons..

Its better not to accept labels such as rural is better or shehri is bad...each inidivudual has his/her own merits...

Are you sure about .."rural" girls ?? Now a days there is no such thing..only in bollywood films !! The so called simple rural girl may turn YOU into a round chappatee before you even realise whats happening....chaalakeean are going rural too...

In Rural Context...a reputable Girl can NEVER marry a fellow resident...no matter if he is not family/related/ etc..its simply NOT DONE. And girls and boys..being what they are..TV and films and internet...helping the "valentine spirit" along....what happens ? almost every boy/girl has a relationship/flame....and thats why when the girl gets married off..she returns and plays hide and seek with her village lover..or the boyfriend visits her at her newly wedded place/village.....and they play hide and seek there until discovered.....several murders have also happeened over such banned liasons..

Its better not to accept labels such as rural is better or shehri is bad...each inidivudual has his/her own merits...

Well my good sir you may be right....

But I know one thing: Only a college girl will demand a starbucks skinny cinnamon dolce latte with 1% partly skimmed milk at 5 in the morning! :inca:

I have to go now. :scared::44:

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
WHOA slow down tiger!

college girls are a handful...opinionated, go get yourself a non-fancy village girl who knows how to make a round chapati :afriends2:

Sinister ji,

Bwhahaha. I hope you are joking my good friend.

Seriously though an opinionated woman is a strong woman, and a strong opinionated women quickly becomes the glue which binds a family together.

I would rather have one of them myself, in fact I do so(or she has me) as to cooking, anybody can be taught to do that, I know, I taught my wife how to cook, as the men have always done the cooking in my family.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Well my good sir you may be right....

But I know one thing: Only a college girl will demand a starbucks skinny cinnamon dolce latte with 1% partly skimmed milk at 5 in the morning! :inca:

I have to go now. :scared::44:

Hahahhahahh ohh thank you sir!

As to the missing 'wife material' in India. Young indian men looking for a wife, look around you Ji's, India though large is not the only country in the world.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM