Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Wheelchair Not Allowed In Gurdwaras?

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by Kismet K, Feb 25, 2011.

1. RD1

RD1 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

Sit behind screens - essentially to be hidden away. Disgraceful.

I worked with a Sikh woman once who has a disability and is in a wheelchair, and is an advocate for other south asians with disabilities. Until she pointed it out, it never really dawned on me how rare it was to see someone with a disability in the Gurdwara. And this is partly due to the lack of accessibility, and partly to do with the negative stigma placed on these people. Sikhism is progressive. However, some people who claim to follow it really have not reflected on their prejudices. We all have them, and must strive to understand and overcome them.

2. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

aww come on now, what is more important, blind ritual or inclusion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RD1

RD1 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

Lol, I try to reflect that there probably was a time when I was less aware and reflective of things and may have blindly followed along to some extent...but if me or you can learn to cultivate a mindset that strives to overcome this, so can others!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

If a person sitting in a wheelchair is higher than Guru ji, isn't the obvious solution to raise Guru ji higher? Or is that too simple?

BTW, I am one of those needing a wheelchair and there's no way I can sit on the floor. I do not believe I should be denied darshan because of physical disabilities. And what about Sikhs injured in battle or tortured.

5. swarn bains

swarn bains Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Poet SPNer Thinker

ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਕੀ ਕੇਤਕ ਬਾਤ ਹੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰਾਧੀ ਤਰਿਆ ਰੇ ॥ ਮੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਕੀ ਕੇਤਕ ਬਾਤ ਹੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਰਾਧੀ ਤਰਿਆ ਰੇ ॥
    Inderjeet jee y version
    What to say about a fool like me; in spite of committing millions of sins, i have attained salvation
    I am just a fool, but millions of sinners just like me have been saved.

6. swarn bains

swarn bains Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Poet SPNer Thinker

There are two main sides of a religion. first one is those who follow the religion for the sake of becoming a leader in that faith. such as those who do not allow women to join or touch palki of SGGS. They have forgotten that they would not be here if their mother was not a woman. secondly those who do not allow wheel chair in gurdwara. both these groups are leaders in gurdwara but are egotistic and completely ignorant of spirituality. Let me say that they go to hell along with their followers.
    the other side of the religion is spirituality; all religions come out to bestow salvation to the innocent people by finding faults with other previous religions. there are a very few people who follow spirituality and the religious scriptures. that is how the world runs

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. swarn bains

swarn bains Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Poet SPNer Thinker

There are two main sides of a religion. first one is those who follow the religion for the sake of becoming a leader in that faith. such as those who do not allow women to join or touch palki of SGGS. They have forgotten that they would not be here if their mother was not a woman. secondly those who do not allow wheel chair in gurdwara. both these groups are leaders in gurdwara but are egotistic and completely ignorant of spirituality. Let me say that they go to hell along with their followers.
    the other side of the religion is spirituality; all religions come out to bestow salvation to the innocent people by finding faults with other previous religions. there are a very few people who follow spirituality and the religious scriptures. that is how the world runs

8. RD1

RD1 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

Is it really such a "sin" if someone in a wheelchair was higher than the Guru ji...especially if in the person's heart they definitely do not see themself as higher, and if they could they would sit on the floor too.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

I personally don't see it as a big deal, as long as it's not an ego issue. Still, if it offends some and is easily remedied, I think that should be done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seeker9

Seeker9 United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Cleverness is not wisdom
    SPNer Supporter

I have been to several Gurdwaras where the elderly or Infirm are allowed to sit at the back on normal chairs

This wheelchair policy is just ignorant

What part of the Scriptures force physically challenged sangat to sit on the ground?

I also often see smaller children move between their parents on foot, some of whom may be higher than Guru Ji when they do that

Should they be banned as well?

This should be common sense. If someone is physically challenged we should be helping them not discriminating against them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sukhsingh

sukhsingh
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

We place guru sahib higher out of respect. We forget guru shahibs themselves never asked it. I remember going to anandpur sahib over 30 years ago and I think it was lohgarh where I saw the room guru gobind singh ji slept in... I was humbled. A simple, small room undecorated. When I think of four doors to gurdwara sahib,and then the idea of a barrier any barrier to any one receiving gur-darshan is anathema.. As immigrants its the irony is shocking

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Qatar
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Lol Sikhs have gone mad with ridiculous Rules and rituals, the very things the Gurus taught against.

Everyone's forgotten the sakhi about Guru Nanak Ji and the Kaaba, and many other sakhis and stories that teach against ridiculousness like this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #51 Sikhilove, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  13. Inderjeet Kaur

Inderjeet Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Supporter

While we are on the topic of Sikhs with disabilities being discriminated against by other Sikhs in the gurudwara, is everyone aware that it is virtually impossible for a person with disabilities to take Amrit? From the Sikh Rehat Maryada

"n... every person seeking to be baptized should sit in bir posture..." [Sitting in bir posture comprises sitting resting the body on the right leg, the
    right calf and foot gathered inward and the left leg up to the shin kept in a vertical position.]

Official Website of Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, Sri Amritsar – Sikh Rehat Maryada in English

I am not criticizing or complaining, just pointing out the fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. sukhsingh

sukhsingh
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

I think your example highlights another flaw in the so called 'official' rehat maryada

Since you're here... we have a small favor to ask...     Become a Supporter      ::     Make a Contribution