• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Made You SMILE Today ?

Aug 18, 2005
Fremont, California
After I read from Guru Granth Sahib, and especially when I understand or learn something new, how can I not smile? When I am reading Akhanda Paath Sewa, I feel so happy and smile, but some pakandee people complain and say that I am making fun of Guru. That kind of comment is so stupid. What am I suppose to do when I read Anand Sahib, "Anand bheya meri maye"? Am I supposed to have a pout or sad look, or maybe a look of a cold faced angry person. And what about "Nanak te mukh ugley" When a face shines from the glory of God, is the face suppose to look like a maniquine with a straight face? Smiling is important, because when you smile, it encourages others to feel at ease. In the professional world in America, smiling is a requirement for corporate image of ease and kindness. Well, God is my father, and what do I lack, why should I look too serious all the time?

Nov 19, 2004
flower_smiles_lg_clr.gif

Why Are You Smiling?
By: Joseph J. Mazzella
"Why are you smiling?", my daughter asked me the other day. It was too complicated to answer her right away. I had been lost in thought. I had been thinking about my life and all the blessings that I had been given by God. I was thinking about the first time that I held my daughter in my arms. I was thinking about just recently giving her a driving lesson. I was thinking about all those joyous and priceless moments in between. I was thinking of my two sons who in spite of their handicaps and learning difficulties had taught me more about love, kindness, and bliss than I could ever have hoped to learn on my own. I was thinking about my family and friends and about all the joyful support they had given me over the years. They had helped me to grow into the person I am now.​
I was thinking too about how wonderful it had been to grow up in these mountains of my home. Their natural beauty had touched my soul daily. I was thinking as well about how delightful it had been to have so many dogs and cats all through my life. Their love so freely given was a constant source of joy for me. I was thinking most of all, however, about how much God must love all of us to bless us with so many opportunities to choose love and share joy in this life. I was thinking about all of these things so naturally my face and soul were smiling.
Life is so wonderful. Life is so beautiful. Life is such a glorious gift from God. It is full to overflowing with people to love, wonders to enjoy, and good things to do. Even its most painful moments and most difficult times can lead us to greater growth, learning, love, and oneness with God if we let them. Be thankful for all the blessings God gives you in this life. Think of them often. Let them fill your heart, mind, and soul.
And then when people ask you why you are smiling all the time, you will know what to say.

Seeker2

SPNer
Sep 29, 2006
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for Diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING
!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms...
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good, and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were!

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
not concerned..just scared ( of lightning !!) lol....
we can grow up..but we cannot take the child out of our psyche...

Children are scared of lightning (thunder actually) due to the abrupt loud NOISE. Noise is very PAINFUL to the young ears !!!

Adults are scared of lightning ( not thunder)..due to having to PAY for electrical items burnt due to their being used during a storm....like TV, Fridge..Telephone..dvd player etc etc....PAYING COLD CASH is very PAINFUL to the POCKET.

I am very very scared of lightning due to having replaced my Internet Modem four times and my Computer Motherboard (also four times) burnt out by storm....trust me its very PAINFUL ( to my pocket..lol) It took FOUR STRIKES to drum it into my thick skull..lol

So NOW..slightest sign of rain....and No more TV/Computer etc.....More rain..and no more Fridge/Washing Machine as well....even more rain..and no more microwave/induction cookers also...IT PAYS well.:)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
What really made me SMILE YESTERDAY..was a few hours spent at the BEDSIDE of a Young Patient in the HKL Onkology Ward for Acute Cancer.
Shes an Amrtidharee..her entire family are amritdharees.....and the Chemos and powerful drugs make the beloved hair fall out....YET shes always SMILING..always cheerful....jumping off her bed to help the other patients....having so much FAITH in HIS HUKM....thats a strong girl..YES jio..IQBAL KAUR is my heroine because she made me SMILE..inspite of and despite...??????:happy:

vegangoth

SPNer
Jul 12, 2009
I went to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band last night:wah:. First time ever seeing them indeed first time they have ever played Glasgow. So I've been smiling all day re-living the awesome,awesome experiance:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
A corn muffin and ice cold fruit juice for breakfast today. I am blessed that we are never hungry.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM