• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Waheguru-I

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
WHAT IS WAHEGURU?
This profound question in the mind of man will ever remain unanswered because we can only realize Waheguru but we cannot tell what He is. In Gurbani,there is a simple example to explain why no one can answer this question. A mute person, after tasting sugar, knows the taste, enjoys it and expresses it through a smile. But being unable to speak, he cannot tell a word about what sugar is like. Waheguru is love,hence immensely sweet, many times more sweet than anything in this world. Holy persons love Waheguru,they enjoy the sweetness but cannot say anything by which we can know and understand Waheguru. There is no language and no thing available in this world which can be quoted to describe Waheguru. Therefore,only similes, however incomplete or unrepresentative they may be, have been offered by holy persons. That is the best they can do to explain their mystic experiences of the spiritual world (Waheguru) to those living in this mundane world.
Waheguru as Father - Mother:
(i) Waheguru is mentioned as Father, Mother,Protector, etc. These words are used to remind us about some of His virtues. Waheguru is the cause of our birth (creation). He nurses us, protects us, and does everything else to make our lives happy, the way parents do for their children.
Before creating humans and other living beings,Waheguru created the sun, moon, water, air, plants,etc. He also created whatever was required by the people to live comfortably. All things are a gift from Waheguru to us as children are given all things free with love by their parents. There are many other things that we have not yet discovered which have been created by Waheguru. The earth, sun, rain, air, darkness,etc. have been so adjusted that they produce innumerable kinds of foods for our consumption. No scientist with all the latest technology has ever been able to create a single grain or fruit in his laboratory. This is done by Waheguru alone under His own laws. These natural phenomena are so set that the earth produces different kinds of foods in different regions. Man is required only to put the Waheguru-given seeds in the soil and harvest the fruit.
Waheguru does many more things than those mentioned above to keep us comfortable and happy in the same way that parents do for their children. Hence the most popular character of Waheguru is revealed to our heart when with love we say, "You are my Father, my Mother, my Brother, and all my other kin.... You protect me from everything at all places."
(ii) The mother, having a physical existence, is visible to her children. Waheguru also has a physical form and is visible to us as "Mother Nature", which is mentioned in Gurbani . [Guru Granth Page 469 ]
(iii) When we see a mother with a baby in her lap, we know that the baby and the mother were once one, i.e., the baby was a part of the mother. The same thing can be said about us and Waheguru. We have been created by Waheguru, we were part of Him. We are His children. We can enjoy the love of Waheguru and feel the peace as well as comfort in our heart in the same way as a baby does in the lap of its mother. However, it is impossible for a baby to describe the mother, understand how and when she was born, from where she gets food and other necessities, how she built the house, etc. After becoming an adult, the baby knows all about the answers to these questions and understands her well. In the same way, when we 'children' grow spiritually to be 'adults' we can understand our Mother, Waheguru. That is the only way to know Waheguru. As long as we are 'babies' we will not be able to know our 'Mother'.

to be contd. in Parts

salempaiyan

SPNer
Apr 29, 2012
Waheguru means omnipresent,the creater , and others words he is our living Master who is the only one can lead us from this material world to the Home from were we came. He is the guideing light and also he is shabad. One can see him with in oneself.

sukhminder13

SPNer
Jul 17, 2012
This is not the meaning of Waheguru. Please let us know the real meaning of Waheguru Word with logic behind it.
Why we speak Waheguru all the time. what's the benefit for it. who is the creator of this word. How does this word help us or we can get benefit from this word??

Waiting for reply anyone.....

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
sukhminder ji

I agree.

The history of the use of Waheguru is a long one. It covers the span of Sikhi beginning with the varaan of Bhai Gurdas ji and the poet Gayand. By the time of Guru Arjan Dev ji the "Waheguru" had settled into the spiritual reality of Sikhs and Sikhi. "Waheguru" is also mentioned in Sarbloh Granth.

I think it is unfortunate that some posters lose the real power of the word "Wahe Guru." They speak as if we were discussing a friendly spirit, a parent figure, following us about, knocking on doors, doing favors big and small, and wandering in and out of our lives. That idea of "Waheguru" loses all sense of the wonder and inspiration and awe that is in "Waheguru."

Waheguru does not wander; is always present; lightens our way.

For more history and explanation - Please read

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/spiritual-articles/24435-waheguru-the-word.html

With a little more searching we can find even better articles. But this is a good start.

Last edited:

charanjit

SPNer
Jan 15, 2008
Sukhminder asks what is the benefit of this word Waheguru. This is simply a word and there is no benefit from the recitation of this word. It is pretty much a hallucinogen, and allows the individual to experience whatever he wants to experience, it all depends on your tastes.

If you were christian, the repitition of their prayers would lead you to experiences of Christ. The same with Allah which will lead you to experience Mohammed. The repitition of Waheguru will lead you nowhere other than the limited experience of what you think. This is all very limited, boring, it is the mundane.

There are a number of great sayings by Nanak, which should lead you to contemplate and realise; it should lead you to exhaust all effort so that you are left all alone to find out for yourself -

sochai soch na hovee jih sochee lakh var
Which I translate as - thinking and contemplating even a hundred thousand times it can not be known.

If that is so, then all effort is done with and finished once and for all. We appear to be limited, in that the only faculty that we have is thinking. We have emotions, but then they are not higher than thinking as they are linked to thinking. Anything that we do appears to have its birth in thinking.

With the understanding of the above, Nanak is saying that all should search should come to an end. Nanak was pointing people in the right direction (he is the finger pointing to the moon) and in following Nanak we have paid to much attention to Nanak (the finger) and have failed to look at the moon for ourselves.

End.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM