• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General What Is Truth?

Ben Bet Beh

SPNer
Jul 29, 2011
I am a middle-aged cradle Catholic Christian who is challenging his long-held beliefs and practices. I do not have any theological problems with my faith perse, however how the church applies the faith in matters of the faith gives me reason to pause. I think of the scripture that says to the effect 'by their fruits you shall know them'. I have a tendency to believe that there is in fact a true faith that can be known, but I am open to others thoughts on this premise as well. I am looking for those who are knowledgeable in their beliefs to share them and give their best reasoning as to why the path they have chosen is the correct one. Thank you and I look forward to your thoughtful replies.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hello Ben, and welcome to the forum. 0:)
I am by no means a very knowledgeable person here, but I can share with you my views.

I do not have any theological problems with my faith perse, however how the church applies the faith in matters of the faith gives me reason to pause.
You will find the good and the corrupt in every culture, every group, every organisation, and every single religion no matter how good and pure it's teachings are. We are all just humans at the end of the day, and while some of us can understand on a profound level the universal Truths which most religions describe (some more directly than others), others struggle or don't even try, preferring to follow their own human will and vices like greed, and ego.

I would say, step back from the organised part of your religion and return to your own scripture which I'm sure contains truth for you. Don't concern yourself with how others interpret and USE your religion. In every religion there are people who do that, and you will never, ever find a religion where you don't disagree with the ruling group on some matter!

I've highlighted (bold) some words in this next quote:

I have a tendency to believe that there is in fact a true faith that can be known, but I am open to others thoughts on this premise as well. I am looking for those who are knowledgeable in their beliefs to share them and give their best reasoning as to why the path they have chosen is the correct one.
This approach to religion (there is only one true path) is from an Abrahamical religion lens. Abrahamical religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) tend to be exclusivist, in that if you aren't with them, you're going to hell. There is only one true religion for them, and it's theirs.

You'll need to be aware of this lens as you approach different religions, especially Eastern ones, which lay more emphasis on the individual's inner path to connection with the Divine, rather than "my way or the high-way".

Guru Nanak Ji is the first Sikh Guru. One of his most often quoted comments is "There is no Hindu, there is no Muslim". There are two common interpretations of this quote. 1: we are all humans and these religious distinctions are simply man-made. 2: at the time, Guru Nanak saw that Hindus and Muslims had forgotten the precepts of their religions. Most religions teach good, honesty, kindness, but our human vices tend to overpower us and we are no longer true to our religions. The Truth is the Truth no matter which way you look at it.

I am a strong advocate that if your religion brings you in touch with the Truth, if it brings you peace and helps you to be a good HUMAN, then you're on the right path for yourself. I will not come between any person and his right to practice his religion as long as the heart of that religion is good, which is most of them from what I've seen so far. The ninth Guru, Tegh Bahadur Ji, was beheaded standing up for the right of Hindus not to be forcibly converted to Islam.

So the question changes from, "which is the one true path? which is the correct path?" to "which religion can I understand to be the best one for me? which one brings me in touch with the Creative Force? which one will bring out the best in me and helps me overcome my shortcomings?"

And for me, the answer is Sikhi. I've tried on Paganism, I've explored Baha'i and Islam, I've considered Christianity, but I always return to Sikhi. Some reasons why it works for me:

• One Universal Creative Force. This Creator has no gender. It is referred to in Sikh scripture as friend, sibling, mother, father, and husband (we are the soul-brides). It is referred to as the Ocean and we are droplets of water returning to the ocean.
  • This Force is not a personality, it is an energy. "God" is a poor word to use as it immediately conjures an image of a personality with relatively human consciousness, emotions and perspective. It is sometimes used among Sikhs for lack of a more appropriate word in English.
  • No "heaven" and "hell" reward system. Your actions take you nearer or farther from "God" realisation. Hell could be considered distance from the Creative Force. The closer you are the more balanced and peaceful you feel.
  • The Creative Force was there in the primal beginning (we can't even imagine it!), there throughout all the millions of ages, is present right here and now inside and all around us, and will be present forever. There is no place and no time in the entire universe where this creative force is not present. Everything is supported by this energy.
  • Sikh scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (you can explore it here: www.srigranth.org ) is 1429 pages of poetry in praise of this Creator. It is not much of a rule book, it rarely references history, it simply sings about spiritual matters. It has something for everyone I've learned!
  • Sikhi boils down to overcoming your human vices (identified as greed, rage, ego, lust and attachment), performing good deeds like sharing and defending those who can't defend themselves, and remembering the Creative Force is everywhere and trying to perceive it all the time.
  • The discipline is simple and logical, there are no complicated rituals.
These are some of the reasons I prefer Sikh over other religions.

There are also challenges which I struggle with sometimes:

• "God" in Sikhi is not a genie, It is not there to listen to your wants and grant them. It takes care of all It's creation and the trick is in accepting what happens rather than always "praying" for changes.
  • Sikh history, like most, is muddied in places and it can be difficult to figure out what is a proper Sikh practice and what is an import from another religion. I have to remind myself to come back to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji because there is no question there.
  • Sikh "government", I guess similar to your church, seems pretty far off the mark these days. Luckily the Sikh Rehat Maryada (code of conduct) published in the 1940s is a pretty good piece of guidework and that is what I try to stick to. You can read it here: http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.asp
Don't give up on your own religion as I'm sure it's important to you. If it is not bringing you the awareness of "God" and feeling like you're playing in tune with the rest of the Creation, then by all means explore. Good luck on your travels!

These opinions are mine and I am happy to be corrected.

Ishna

Last edited:

Annie

SPNer
Jun 12, 2011
Welcome, Ben. I come from a background similar to yours. I have been searching for "Truth" for some thirty years now. I can tell you these things:

Truth can be found in the innermost part of yourself. When you are very quiet and open-minded, you will get a gut instinct about what is true.

You are absolutely right, you will know a good tree from a bad one by its fruits. But be careful, some fruits are an illusion.

In my opinion (and a few people here will disagree with me) no one religion has a monopoly on the Truth. Every major religion has its good points.

And finally, the complete, objective Truth is unknowable to us at this time. We just are not evolved enough yet to comprehend it. But we do the best we can with what we have.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Welcome, Ben. I come from a background similar to yours. I have been searching for "Truth" for some thirty years now. I can tell you these things:

Truth can be found in the innermost part of yourself. When you are very quiet and open-minded, you will get a gut instinct about what is true.

You are absolutely right, you will know a good tree from a bad one by its fruits. But be careful, some fruits are an illusion.

In my opinion (and a few people here will disagree with me) no one religion has a monopoly on the Truth.

Annie ji I will go beyond that saying no one or nothing has monopoly over Truth. It is within you, some can help, some can help a lot and some will send you on a bend without you knowing.

It is within.

You may be interested in the following,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurma...-wahiguru-what-wahiguru-can-3.html#post150371

Every major religion has its good points.

And finally, the complete, objective Truth is unknowable to us at this time. We just are not evolved enough yet to comprehend it. But we do the best we can with what we have.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ben Bet Beh

SPNer
Jul 29, 2011
...I would say, step back from the organised part of your religion and return to your own scripture which I'm sure contains truth for you. Don't concern yourself with how others interpret and USE your religion. In every religion there are people who do that, and you will never, ever find a religion where you don't disagree with the ruling group on some matter!
The thing is, I find ALL the teachings sound. It's in the application of those teachings that I struggle with.

Ishna said:
This approach to religion (there is only one true path) is from an Abrahamical religion lens. Abrahamical religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) tend to be exclusivist, in that if you aren't with them, you're going to hell. There is only one true religion for them, and it's theirs.
Catholicism teaches that the Christian faith is the only true path. Having said that, the church also teaches in the concept of invincible ignorance where those who do not have the entire truth of Jesus Christ can be saved. In other words, for example, someone could be a Sihk and be saved provided they do not know any better to be a Catholic Christian. Perhaps it is the Catholic Church's way of seeing the good in people who do not share the Catholic faith and that a loving God would not forsake any Children who truly seek Him.

Ishna said:
...Sikh scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (you can explore it here: www.srigranth.org ) is 1429 pages of poetry in praise of this Creator. It is not much of a rule book, it rarely references history, it simply sings about spiritual matters. It has something for everyone I've learned!

Ishna said:
...Sikh Rehat Maryada (code of conduct) published in the 1940s is a pretty good piece of guidework and that is what I try to stick to. You can read it here: http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.asp

Thanks for the references. I will check them out when I get an opportunity.

Ishna said:
Don't give up on your own religion as I'm sure it's important to you. If it is not bringing you the awareness of "God" and feeling like you're playing in tune with the rest of the Creation, then by all means explore. Good luck on your travels!

My intent is not to leave it. I do feel however that I would do myself a disservice my not at the very least challenging what I hold dear.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Gurfateh Ben ji

The thing is, I find ALL the teachings sound. It's in the application of those teachings that I struggle with.

My intent is not to leave it. I do feel however that I would do myself a disservice my not at the very least challenging what I hold dear.
Can you give us some examples of the applications you're struggling with, then?

Also, can you give us examples of the teachings you find sound? Maybe you'll be more inspired in your own faith by considering and writing this down for us. :sippingcoffee:

I find, when I get frustrated with my own faith (when my faith is low and some issue comes along within Sikhi which I don't agree with) and I explore others (which I've done a fair amount of, unfortunately), inevitably I come back to Sikhi because I realise the grass isn't greener for me on the other side.

Learning about the curious practices and ideas within other religions can make you appreciate your own that much more.

Catholicism teaches that the Christian faith is the only true path. Having said that, the church also teaches in the concept of invincible ignorance where those who do not have the entire truth of Jesus Christ can be saved. In other words, for example, someone could be a Sihk and be saved provided they do not know any better to be a Catholic Christian. Perhaps it is the Catholic Church's way of seeing the good in people who do not share the Catholic faith and that a loving God would not forsake any Children who truly seek Him.
That's a nice sentiment, I like that. However, in this age of the Internet, seekers really have no excuse to be ignorant of other faiths, I think.

Ish

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Also, your thread title asks "What is Truth?". I realise I can't describe it myself without sounding cooky. I don't think anyone can explain it... you only know it when you know it. If it was simple, we'd already know it.

Here's a verse from the first hymn in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, written by Guru Nanak Ji, which might be relevant:

ਮੰਨੇ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਕਹੀ ਜਾਇ
Manne kī gaṯ kahī na jā▫e.

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਇ
Je ko kahai picẖẖai pacẖẖuṯā▫e.

ਕਾਗਦਿ ਕਲਮ ਲਿਖਣਹਾਰੁ
Kāgaḏ kalam na likẖaṇhār.

ਮੰਨੇ ਕਾ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ
Manne kā bahi karan vīcẖār.

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ
Aisā nām niranjan ho▫e.

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੨॥
Je ko man jāṇai man ko▫e. ||12||

The English translation by Nikki Guninder Kaur Singh:

No words can speak of rememberance,
Attempts to explain are later regretted.
No paper, no pen or scribe can describe,
Nor any philosophizing help to realize,
So wondrous is the immaculate Name,
It is known only by those who hold It in their mind.

~~~

To clarify the relevance: the first words in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji can be translated as: One Universal Creative Force, the True Name (the Truth).

I pinched this from the About.com site. It has some good information about Sikhi, too.

Definition:
Sat is a word which means actual, true, truth, righteousness, faith, fidelity, and essence of spirit. Sat is the first word (following the symbol Ik Onkar) which appears in Sikhism's holy scripture, the Guru Granth Sahib. In Sikhism, Sat represents the entity truth as descriptive of the divine. The concept of the ability of Sat to perpetually assert truth is at the core of the Sikh religion.

Aug 28, 2010
ISHNA Ji,
I am greatly impressed by your interest in Gurbani.
Here I would like to share the meaning of word which you are refering as SAT.

You may first verify from Gurmukhi script of Gurbani that the actual word is SATi[I am using the small i as indication of Sihari Matra in the original word of Gurmukhi}
Due to the presence of this matra the word SATi is not a Noun .The word is an Adjective and it speaks for the quality of anything being refered just after this word.

Being Adjective it has the meaning as ..Being forever,

So we have the words as Sati Naamu or Sati purakhu or Sati saroop or Sati GuR like that.
So there is great significance of the matra Sihari in all the words of Gurbani.Unfotunately we do not pay a serious attention to the significance of this matra and we are going to extract a wrong meaning of Gurbani words and ultimately this changes the Basic understanding of Gurbani.
I hope you to verify this aspect yourself and get the conclusion accordingly.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Aug 28, 2010
ISHNA Ji .
I may further add a little moreinformation regarding the significance of sihari matra in various words in Gurbani. In some words the use of this matra makes the word Adverb also. As with the word Mani in the sabad you have posted Here the word Man due to Sihari is Adverb that means .By Man,..thru man..from or within Man like that.
This requires a little attention of understanding of grammatical indications in the different context where the words are being used.
It is not too difficult but only a matter of practice of grammer .

Prakash.S.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks prakash.s.bagga ji it helped me correct one item I missed in my mool mantar understanding which is updated as follows,

ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ArQ:- Akwl purK ie`k hY, ijs dw nwm 'hoNd vwlw' hY jo isRStI dw rcnhwr hY, jo sB ivc ivAwpk hY, BY qoN rihq hY, vYr-rihq hY, ijs dw srUp kwl qoN pry hY, (Bwv, ijs dw srIr nws-rihq hY), jo jUnW ivc nhIN AwauNdw, ijs dw pRkwS Awpxy Awp qoN hoieAw hY Aqy jo siqgurU dI ikrpw nwl imldw hY[

God/creator is one and is known as the eternal being, the creator of all, present everywhere, without fear, without animosity, is timeless, is not guided by life cycles, is a self creation and is realized through its own (God/creator) blessing.
Sat Sri Akal.

Aug 28, 2010
Thank you AMBARSARIA Ji,
I have noticed a most desirable change in your interprtation.I like your style of presenting the views which I understand I lack more.

With your background I am cent percent convinced you can bring correct interpretation of Gurbani .We may differ in our references of understanding but ultimately our objective is same ..trying to know the true meanings of Gurbani as much as possible
by way of sharing different views .

Prakash.S.Bagga

Ben Bet Beh

SPNer
Jul 29, 2011
Can you give us some examples of the applications you're struggling with, then?

Also, can you give us examples of the teachings you find sound? Maybe you'll be more inspired in your own faith by considering and writing this down for us. :sippingcoffee:
Elective abortion is against my religion. My faith teaches that elective abortion is always wrong. Here is are some specific teachings:

2258 'Human life is sacred because from its beginning it involves the creative action of God and it remains for ever in a special relationship with the Creator, who is its sole end. God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being.'

2270 Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception. From the first moment of his existence, a human being must be recognized as having the rights of a person - among which is the inviolable right of every innocent being to life.

Now with these teachings in mind, there are politicians who claim to be of my faith that act contrary to these teachings. While our leadership is very vocal about the church's teachings about abortion, they do not specifically call out those who are calling themselves Catholic yet are violating what our religion teaches on the subject by not only voting in favor of abortion measures, but also advocating for it.

Ishna said:
That's a nice sentiment, I like that. However, in this age of the Internet, seekers really have no excuse to be ignorant of other faiths, I think.
While I tend to agree with you to some extent, I believe one has to be in the right mindset to be able to get to the point of desiring to learn of others faith traditions. Some may not come to that mindset due to whatever life situations they may be confronted with which may hinder such an exploration of faith.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ben Bet Beh ji why you say the following,

Human life is sacred because from its beginning it involves the creative action of God
Are you suggesting other life just happens and does not involve the creative action of God/creator?

Isn't it a selfish view postulated by humans and not agreed to by other life forms? Each one of these life forms/species may believe their life is sacred and none else.

I wan to hear your thoughts about above before I reflect and post any response.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Ben ji

Do the teachings you posted reflect the truth you know within yourself and from your scripture? If so, and you don't agree with it, then I'd say you might be in the wrong religion.

On the other hand, if those teachings are someone's interpretation of your faith and scripture, and you have reason to doubt it, then disregard what a man wrote 2000 years after the birth of Christ and let God guide your faith, not a mortal.

As I said in one of my initial posts, you will never ever find a religion where you don't disagree with elements of it. I struggle with it myself, there are some (man-made) elements within Sikhi which I don't agree with, so I disregard them. Like people who tell me I can't be a Sikh while married to a non-Sikh. And there is a massive raging debate in Sikhi whether it is permissable or not to eat meat.

If I was to get hung up on these issues, instead of realising that at the end of the day my life is about me and my Creator, nobody else, then I would have become an atheist a long time ago, because pinning your hopes on other people/organisations will ultimately lead to disappointment at some point in time.

I get the feeling you're a lot like me in your approach to religion - you're either with it 100% or your not!

Ben Bet Beh

SPNer
Jul 29, 2011
Are you suggesting other life just happens and does not involve the creative action of God/creator?
I am not suggesting that. All life, regardless of whether it is human life or other forms of life involve the creative action of God.

Ambarsaria said:
Isn't it a selfish view postulated by humans and not agreed to by other life forms? Each one of these life forms/species may believe their life is sacred and none else.
My religion teaches the following regarding the human relationship with animals:

Respect for the integrity of creation

2415 The seventh commandment enjoins respect for the integrity of creation. Animals, like plants and inanimate beings, are by nature destined for the common good of past, present, and future humanity. Use of the mineral, vegetable, and animal resources of the universe cannot be divorced from respect for moral imperatives. Man's dominion over inanimate and other living beings granted by the Creator is not absolute; it is limited by concern for the quality of life of his neighbor, including generations to come; it requires a religious respect for the integrity of creation.

2416 Animals are God's creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory. Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image. Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.

Ben Bet Beh

SPNer
Jul 29, 2011
Do the teachings you posted reflect the truth you know within yourself and from your scripture? If so, and you don't agree with it, then I'd say you might be in the wrong religion....
The teachings I posted related to abortion reflect the truth I know within myself and from Christian Scripture. The Christian Scripture does not explicitly address elective abortion, but does explicitly address the killing of innocent life. My religion teaches that elective abortion is an innocent life. I agree with that viewpoint.

Ishna said:
...I get the feeling you're a lot like me in your approach to religion - you're either with it 100% or your not!
I think you're right. I desire my faith to reflect EVERYTHING I believe in. I think the key is being able to accept what essential and let go of what isn't. Something I ponder is whether I have the courage to accept through obedience something I may disagree with but will accept as true even though I may not have it figured out intellectually.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I am not suggesting that. All life, regardless of whether it is human life or other forms of life involve the creative action of God.

My religion teaches the following regarding the human relationship with animals:

Respect for the integrity of creation

2415 The seventh commandment enjoins respect for the integrity of creation. Animals, like plants and inanimate beings, are by nature destined for the common good of past, present, and future humanity. Use of the mineral, vegetable, and animal resources of the universe cannot be divorced from respect for moral imperatives. Man's dominion over inanimate and other living beings granted by the Creator is not absolute; it is limited by concern for the quality of life of his neighbor, including generations to come; it requires a religious respect for the integrity of creation.

Here is where perhaps our beliefs are opposite. There is no sub-servient to humans in our understanding of creation.

Example: If a Sikh tries to kill a snake, and the snake kills the man, it will be called self defense by the snake. Regretted but totally understood.

Example: If a Sikh tries to kill a Lion, the Lion kills the Sikh it will be understood and Lion will not be blamed. It will be considered self defense by the Lion.

Sikhism does not bar eating meat or domestication but does not condone sacrificial killings or killing with torturous techniques (e.g. Halal).

2416 Animals are God's creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory. Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image. Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. (Sikhism agrees)

It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.

Sikhism has no hard and fast rules and is left to family and community life. Naturally in creation when feels closer to own and Sikhs are no different but animals are considered life like any other life.
Through the above the illustration of my beliefs from Sikhism as well as my understanding which someone can correct if I am wrong.

Sat Sri Akal/Thank you for your answer.

Ben Bet Beh

SPNer
Jul 29, 2011
...Sikh scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (you can explore it here: www.srigranth.org ) is 1429 pages of poetry in praise of this Creator. It is not much of a rule book, it rarely references history, it simply sings about spiritual matters. It has something for everyone I've learned!...
I feel a bit uneasy about this passage regarding all relationships being false. Could you explain it to me?

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=963&L=17&Lang=1&I=6827

I have seen that all relationships are false, and so I have grasped hold of the hem of Your robe, Lord.
Habẖe sāk kūṛāve diṯẖe ṯa▫o palai ṯaidai lāgī.

I like these:

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=963&L=17&Lang=1&I=6827

Whatever you do, do it for the Love of God.
Jo kicẖẖ karai so parabẖ kai rang.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=405&L=17&Lang=1&I=6838

Bestow Your Mercy, and dwell within my heart; please, become my Helper.
Kar kirpā vashu merai hirḏai ho▫e sahā▫ī āp.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Ben ji I am currently short of time so may need to come back to this particular post.

The tuk (sentence) you have queried is from ang (page) 963. Usually we would post the entire section (shalok, pauri, etc) the tuk appears in, to help give more context. I'm not so learned as to be able to tell if the shalok here relates to the pauri above or below - perhaps someone else can help me.

I'm guessing the shalok belongs to the text above and provide the Manmohan Singh translation below:

ਮਃ
मः ५ ॥
Mėhlā 5.
5th Guru.
ਸਸੁ ਵਿਰਾਇਣਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀਉ ਸਸੁਰਾ ਵਾਦੀ ਜੇਠੋ ਪਉ ਪਉ ਲੂਹੈ
ससु विराइणि नानक जीउ ससुरा वादी जेठो पउ पउ लूहै ॥
Sas virā▫iṇ Nānak jī▫o sasurā vāḏī jeṯẖo pa▫o pa▫o lūhai.
My mother-in-law is my enemy, my father-in-law burns me at every step, O Nanak.
ਹਭੇ ਭਸੁ ਪੁਣੇਦੇ ਵਤਨੁ ਜਾ ਮੈ ਸਜਣੁ ਤੂਹੈ ॥੨॥
हभे भसु पुणेदे वतनु जा मै सजणु तूहै ॥२॥
Habẖe bẖas puṇeḏe vaṯan jā mai sajaṇ ṯūhai. ||2||
When Thou, O Lord, art my Friend, then let all go round sifting dust.
ਪਉੜੀ
पउड़ी ॥
Pa▫oṛī.
Pauri.
ਜਿਸੁ ਤੂ ਵੁਠਾ ਚਿਤਿ ਤਿਸੁ ਦਰਦੁ ਨਿਵਾਰਣੋ
जिसु तू वुठा चिति तिसु दरदु निवारणो ॥
Jis ṯū vuṯẖā cẖiṯ ṯis ḏaraḏ nivārṇo.
Thou, O Lord, removest the pain of him, within whose mind Thou abidest.
ਜਿਸੁ ਤੂ ਵੁਠਾ ਚਿਤਿ ਤਿਸੁ ਕਦੇ ਹਾਰਣੋ
जिसु तू वुठा चिति तिसु कदे न हारणो ॥
Jis ṯū vuṯẖā cẖiṯ ṯis kaḏe na hārṇo.
He, within whose mind, Thou, O Lord, abidest; he loses not ever.
ਜਿਸੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਪੂਰਾ ਗੁਰੂ ਸੁ ਸਰਪਰ ਤਾਰਣੋ
जिसु मिलिआ पूरा गुरू सु सरपर तारणो ॥
Jis mili▫ā pūrā gurū so sarpar ṯārṇo.
He, whom the Perfect Guru meets, is assuredly emancipated.
ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਲਾਏ ਸਚਿ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਚੁ ਸਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਲਣੋ
जिस नो लाए सचि तिसु सचु सम्हालणो ॥
Jis no lā▫e sacẖ ṯis sacẖ samĥālaṇo.
He, whom the Lord attached to truth, meditates on the True Name.
ਜਿਸੁ ਆਇਆ ਹਥਿ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਸੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਾਲਣੋ
जिसु आइआ हथि निधानु सु रहिआ भालणो ॥
Jis ā▫i▫ā hath niḏẖān so rahi▫ā bẖālṇo.
He, to whose hand the Name treasure falls, seeks naught else.
ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਇਕੋ ਰੰਗੁ ਭਗਤੁ ਸੋ ਜਾਨਣੋ
जिस नो इको रंगु भगतु सो जानणो ॥
Jis no iko rang bẖagaṯ so jānṇo.
He, who loves but One Lord; him alone deem thou a saints.
ਓਹੁ ਸਭਨਾ ਕੀ ਰੇਣੁ ਬਿਰਹੀ ਚਾਰਣੋ
ओहु सभना की रेणु बिरही चारणो ॥
Oh sabẖnā kī reṇ birhī cẖārṇo.
He, who is the lover of God's feet, becomes the dust of the feet of all.
ਸਭਿ ਤੇਰੇ ਚੋਜ ਵਿਡਾਣ ਸਭੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਕਾਰਣੋ ॥੧੩॥
सभि तेरे चोज विडाण सभु तेरा कारणो ॥१३॥
Sabẖ ṯere cẖoj vidāṇ sabẖ ṯerā kārṇo. ||13||
Everything is Thy wondrous play and the entire world is Thine.

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ
सलोक मः ५ ॥
Salok mėhlā 5.
Slok 5th Guru.
ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਮੈ ਹਭ ਵਞਾਈ ਛੋੜਿਆ ਹਭੁ ਕਿਝੁ ਤਿਆਗੀ
उसतति निंदा नानक जी मै हभ वञाई छोड़िआ हभु किझु तिआगी ॥
Usṯaṯ ninḏā Nānak jī mai habẖ vañā▫ī cẖẖoṛi▫ā habẖ kijẖ ṯi▫āgī.
From my mind, O Nanak, I have wholly banished praising and slandering others and have forsaken and abandoned all other worldly affairs.
ਹਭੇ ਸਾਕ ਕੂੜਾਵੇ ਡਿਠੇ ਤਉ ਪਲੈ ਤੈਡੈ ਲਾਗੀ ॥੧॥
हभे साक कूड़ावे डिठे तउ पलै तैडै लागी ॥१॥
Habẖe sāk kūṛāve diṯẖe ṯa▫o palai ṯaidai lāgī. ||1||
I have seen all the kinsmen to be false; then have I attached myself to Thine skirt, O my Lord.

I'm not very good at Gurbani vichaar yet, but Gurbani teaches that the man-made relationships we have with anything else in this world, including people, our mother, father, sibling, spouse, is nothing compared to the relationship we have with the Creative Force.

Ang 10

ਜਨਨਿ ਪਿਤਾ ਲੋਕ ਸੁਤ ਬਨਿਤਾ ਕੋਇ ਕਿਸ ਕੀ ਧਰਿਆ
जननि पिता लोक सुत बनिता कोइ न किस की धरिआ ॥
Janan piṯā lok suṯ baniṯā ko▫e na kis kī ḏẖari▫ā.
Mothers, fathers, friends, children and spouses-no one is the support of anyone else.

ਸਿਰਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਰਿਜਕੁ ਸੰਬਾਹੇ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਕਾਹੇ ਮਨ ਭਉ ਕਰਿਆ ॥੨॥
सिरि सिरि रिजकु स्मबाहे ठाकुरु काहे मन भउ करिआ ॥२॥
Sir sir rijak sambāhe ṯẖākur kāhe man bẖa▫o kari▫ā. ||2||
For each and every person, our Lord and Master provides sustenance. Why are you so afraid, O mind? ||2||

I was going to make a comment about how it could possibly relate to the states described in this shabad on ang 482:
ਆਸਾ
आसा ॥
Āsā.
Aasaa:

ਸਾਸੁ ਕੀ ਦੁਖੀ ਸਸੁਰ ਕੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਜੇਠ ਕੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਡਰਉ ਰੇ
सासु की दुखी ससुर की पिआरी जेठ के नामि डरउ रे ॥
Sās kī ḏukẖī sasur kī pi▫ārī jeṯẖ ke nām dara▫o re.
I am bothered by my mother-in-law, Maya, and loved by my father-in-law, the Lord. I fear even the name of my husband's elder brother, Death.

ਸਖੀ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਨਨਦ ਗਹੇਲੀ ਦੇਵਰ ਕੈ ਬਿਰਹਿ ਜਰਉ ਰੇ ॥੧॥
सखी सहेली ननद गहेली देवर कै बिरहि जरउ रे ॥१॥
Sakẖī sahelī nanaḏ gahelī ḏevar kai birėh jara▫o re. ||1||
O my mates and companions, my husband's sister, misunderstanding has seized me, and I am burning with the pain of separation from my husband's younger brother, divine knowledge. ||1||

ਮੇਰੀ ਮਤਿ ਬਉਰੀ ਮੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਓ ਕਿਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਰਹਨਿ ਰਹਉ ਰੇ
मेरी मति बउरी मै रामु बिसारिओ किन बिधि रहनि रहउ रे ॥
Merī maṯ ba▫urī mai rām bisāri▫o kin biḏẖ rahan raha▫o re.
My mind has gone insane, since I forgot the Lord. How can I lead a virtuous lifestyle?

ਸੇਜੈ ਰਮਤੁ ਨੈਨ ਨਹੀ ਪੇਖਉ ਇਹੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਕਾ ਸਉ ਕਹਉ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
सेजै रमतु नैन नही पेखउ इहु दुखु का सउ कहउ रे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Sejai ramaṯ nain nahī pekẖa▫o ih ḏukẖ kā sa▫o kaha▫o re. ||1|| rahā▫o.
He rests in the bed of my mind, but I cannot see Him with my eyes. Unto whom should I tell my sufferings? ||1||Pause||

ਬਾਪੁ ਸਾਵਕਾ ਕਰੈ ਲਰਾਈ ਮਾਇਆ ਸਦ ਮਤਵਾਰੀ
बापु सावका करै लराई माइआ सद मतवारी ॥
Bāp sāvkā karai larā▫ī mā▫i▫ā saḏ maṯvārī.
My step-father, egotism, fights with me, and my mother, desire, is always intoxicated.

ਬਡੇ ਭਾਈ ਕੈ ਜਬ ਸੰਗਿ ਹੋਤੀ ਤਬ ਹਉ ਨਾਹ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥੨॥
बडे भाई कै जब संगि होती तब हउ नाह पिआरी ॥२॥
Bade bẖā▫ī kai jab sang hoṯī ṯab ha▫o nāh pi▫ārī. ||2||
When I stayed with my elder brother, meditation, then I was loved by my Husband Lord. ||2||

ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਪੰਚ ਕੋ ਝਗਰਾ ਝਗਰਤ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ
कहत कबीर पंच को झगरा झगरत जनमु गवाइआ ॥
Kahaṯ Kabīr pancẖ ko jẖagrā jẖagraṯ janam gavā▫i▫ā.
Says Kabeer, the five passions argue with me, and in these arguments, my life is wasting away.

ਝੂਠੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਬਾਧਿਆ ਮੈ ਰਾਮ ਰਮਤ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੩॥੩॥੨੫॥
झूठी माइआ सभु जगु बाधिआ मै राम रमत सुखु पाइआ ॥३॥३॥२५॥
Jẖūṯẖī mā▫i▫ā sabẖ jag bāḏẖi▫ā mai rām ramaṯ sukẖ pā▫i▫ā. ||3||3||25||
The false Maya has bound the whole world, but I have obtained peace, chanting the Name of the Lord. ||3||3||25||

However in the first shabad it says "my father-in-law burns me at every step" yet here the father-in-law appears to be Waheguru. So I think I've missed the mark.

I wonder if anyone else can help me out with this? The pool is getting really deep! haha

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM