• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Purpose Of Our Life

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
The purpose of our life is the most sought question, the whole man kind is looking and Guru Amardas is elborating his inter action with His beloved God in the following sabd.

ਹਉ ਢਾਢੀ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਖਸਮ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਦਰਿ ਆਇਆ ॥
I am a minstrel of the Lord God, my beloved and Master; I have come to knock the Lord's Door.

ਹਰਿ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸੁਣੀ ਪੂਕਾਰ ਢਾਢੀ ਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਇਆ ॥
The Lord has heard my craving from within; He has called his minstrel, into His Presence.

ਹਰਿ ਪੁਛਿਆ ਢਾਢੀ ਸਦਿ ਕੈ ਕਿਤੁ ਅਰਥਿ ਤੂੰ ਆਇਆ ॥
The Lord called his minstrel in, and asked, "What is the purpose of your knocking my door?

ਨਿਤ ਦੇਵਹੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਦਇਆਲ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥
O Merciful God, please grant me the gift of such wisdom that I am connected with you athai pehar and become a good human being and serve the purpose of life

ਹਰਿ ਦਾਤੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਪੈਨਾਇਆ ॥੨੧॥੧॥ ਸੁਧੁ
And so the Lord, the Great Giver, tells and blesses Nanak in order to come to that state of mind you need to wear the wisdom of chola on your intellect(head) to safeguard your honor from the vicious five thieves and ਨਾਨਕੁ ਪੈਨਾਇਆ Nanak has adorned his head with 'prem patola tai sai ditta dakhan ko pat meri.' ||21||1||Sudh||

Similarly when guru sahib says, 'ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥ over here the 'ਕਾਜ' is to become human as such make base of your mind divine traits. This is the kaaj, this is purpose of your life. I heard the elderly people who were involved in good will meetings on Saharanpur riots had no concern at all about the loss of life and damages to the 150 shops of innocents sikh but were dominating and threatening. So let us become human first.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
the purpose of my life is to help and assist anyone I come across, without any sense of reward or increased enlightenment, until I die, and through that, to find some peace and contentment. Instead of wisdom, it is responsibility that controls the thieves for me, but wisdom does slowly develop, not genuine wisdom, but more if you stick a burning rod on your arm, and it burns, don't do it again, at the age of 45 I have an arm full of burn marks, maybe in a few years I will see that wisdom, till then, responsibility will have to suffice.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
The purpose of my life:

to learn from the experienced i've had in my life

to learn from the mistakes i've made...which have been a blessing to awaken me.

to reduce the influence that the 5 thieves have on my thoughts, actions and behavior

to be a pure servant to humanity, a servant who's intentions are not influenced by the 5 Thieves.

To actually SEE God in all, and not just SAY it...

To SEE God in myself...to Experience God within my very Being...

But those 5 Thieves don;t give up that easily...:swordfights:

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
The purpose of our life is the most sought question, the whole man kind is looking and Guru Amardas is elborating his inter action with His beloved God in the following sabd.

ਹਉ ਢਾਢੀ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਖਸਮ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਦਰਿ ਆਇਆ ॥
I am a minstrel of the Lord God, my beloved and Master; I have come to knock the Lord's Door.

ਹਰਿ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸੁਣੀ ਪੂਕਾਰ ਢਾਢੀ ਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਇਆ ॥
The Lord has heard my craving from within; He has called his minstrel, into His Presence.

ਹਰਿ ਪੁਛਿਆ ਢਾਢੀ ਸਦਿ ਕੈ ਕਿਤੁ ਅਰਥਿ ਤੂੰ ਆਇਆ ॥
The Lord called his minstrel in, and asked, "What is the purpose of your knocking my door?

ਨਿਤ ਦੇਵਹੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਦਇਆਲ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥
O Merciful God, please grant me the gift of such wisdom that I am connected with you athai pehar and become a good human being and serve the purpose of life

ਹਰਿ ਦਾਤੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਪੈਨਾਇਆ ॥੨੧॥੧॥ ਸੁਧੁ
And so the Lord, the Great Giver, tells and blesses Nanak in order to come to that state of mind you need to wear the wisdom of chola on your intellect(head) to safeguard your honor from the vicious five thieves and ਨਾਨਕੁ ਪੈਨਾਇਆ Nanak has adorned his head with 'prem patola tai sai ditta dakhan ko pat meri.' ||21||1||Sudh||

Similarly when guru sahib says, 'ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥ over here the 'ਕਾਜ' is to become human as such make base of your mind divine traits. This is the kaaj, this is purpose of your life. I heard the elderly people who were involved in good will meetings on Saharanpur riots had no concern at all about the loss of life and damages to the 150 shops of innocents sikh but were dominating and threatening. So let us become human first.

In a few words the purpose of our lives is to "live a life of the purity of a saint while remembering GOD round the clock". which means earn your bread by the sweat of your brow and share with others while repeating or being conscious of God all the time.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
In a few words the purpose of our lives is to "live a life of the purity of a saint while remembering GOD round the clock". which means earn your bread by the sweat of your brow and share with others while repeating or being conscious of God all the time.
To stay awake and aware. Be creative. And ਸਹਜਿ ਸੰਤੋਖਿ ਸੀਗਾਰੀਆ ਮਿਠਾ ਬੋਲਣੀ ॥. Learn the direction and share with other and not to waste time in superfluous work.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Mittah bolnna..is a virtue beyond comparison..Gussah mann na handhaiyeh..mitth bollrra ji har saajan mera are examples of the importance of mittah bollnna...its a fact that 99% of conflicts are caused and perpetuated by KAURRA BOLLNNA....mitth bollnna can STOP conflicts before they even begin...and Gussah harms our heart as docs tell us esp thsoe who ahve ahd a heart attack already..and Farid Ji told us that 500 years ago ...

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
The purpose of life is use this rare opportunity to transcend life itself.

...life in itself is not enough. In other words, life in itself is not the goal. The purpose or goal of life is Spiritual Realization - Realization of one's Mool within (Source, Origin, Jot, ਅਸਲਾ...) that pervades everything and everywhere equally. Thus, to Realize what's beyond this physical existence. Thus life is not an end by itself but very significant means to the end. It is the opportunity given to us to realize the goal, which surpasses it. Since the purpose or goal is hidden deep in life, it cannot be found if we were to stay on the surface or periphery of it. we need to dive deep within — go within, seek within, etc. If we are to stay at the surface, we are bound to miss the goal. To say it otherwise, if man becomes overly attached or obsessed with life, then naturally he will never be able to transcend it. And, in the process, he will be lost in the means and miss out the opportunity to understand something deeper, far significant and superior.

Link to full article here:
http://www.gurbani.org/articles/webart305.htm

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM