• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Meaning Of Life?

singh_man

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
I think I found Waheguru this morning! Found meaning.. I get it! During my sunrise drive just outside Toronto this morning, after my morning Nitnem and doing simran in the car I was contemplating "what is God"? Watching the beautiful and powerful sunrise.. it dawned on me (no pun intended!) that God is truly personal and within and is Sat, Daya, Santokh, Nimrata, Pyare within a person. Bringing out these qualities from within is your goal in feeling peace, contentment and blessed and will allow you to live your life with no ego!

Yeah?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I think I found Waheguru this morning! Found meaning.. I get it! During my sunrise drive just outside Toronto this morning, after my morning Nitnem and doing simran in the car I was contemplating "what is God"? Watching the beautiful and powerful sunrise.. it dawned on me (no pun intended!) that God is truly personal and within and is Sat, Daya, Santokh, Nimrata, Pyare within a person. Bringing out these qualities from within is your goal in feeling peace, contentment and blessed and will allow you to live your life with no ego!

Yeah?

Beautifully put Singh Man, what does it inspire you to do with your life?

singh_man

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
Quite simple really,
  • Naam Japo - Be aware of the Divine in our hearts and the whole creation with every breath we take. Feel the sound current - constantly
  • Kirat Karo - Earn our living honestly and share whatever we have with others without ego
  • Vand ke Shako - Be constantly awake for opportunities to serve and elevate others - again without ego or expectations for a return

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Quite simple really,
  • Naam Japo - Be aware of the Divine in our hearts and the whole creation with every breath we take. Feel the sound current - constantly
  • Kirat Karo - Earn our living honestly and share whatever we have with others without ego
  • Vand ke Shako - Be constantly awake for opportunities to serve and elevate others - again without ego or expectations for a return

although it is indeed quite simple, if you have embraced the above without struggle, and with full acceptance, then you are an amazing person.

Is it something you aspire to, or have you reached this point?

singh_man

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
although it is indeed quite simple, if you have embraced the above without struggle, and with full acceptance, then you are an amazing person.

Is it something you aspire to, or have you reached this point?

HarryJi

I think for me the true understanding of this and then the full acceptance of God realization through self-realization is the first step - truly knowing that this is what God means. Amazing. So now I aspire and work hard to live within these qualities. I am by no means perfect or there yet, but feeling closer for sure.

Does this make sense?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
absolutely, you make it sound so easy, I have to take my hat off to you!

I, now have to ask this, it is the same question I have asked my father, as he also has your outlook,

how hard is it for you to ignore the base temptations of the world?

singh_man

SPNer
Nov 15, 2006
absolutely, you make it sound so easy, I have to take my hat off to you!

I, now have to ask this, it is the same question I have asked my father, as he also has your outlook,

how hard is it for you to ignore the base temptations of the world?

Good question. I used to like winning. I used to want to crush my competition (school, work, sports). For ego? To drive a flash car? For power? That used to be me... but I was not happy despite my successes. And then I had a son with autism.. and with this journey he has helped me realize God within. I now have used my strengths and positive qualities to start a business to help people with complex care needs (like autism). No more trying to be the best.. but do real sewa without big expectations of returns - that will come on its own. Living in the now, being ever present helps me stay centered. Doing Simran and listening and learning bani is very calming for me. I've always had a positive outlook on life - some say "too positive". But Sikhi gives me courage and confidence to stay centered and seek those 5 virtues and the good that will naturally flow out of them. I'm not saintly angel by any means - I have a good laugh, still have the odd drink, I do get angry at times.. but I have a vehicle that brings me back to the center - and that's the key IMHO.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Good question. I used to like winning. I used to want to crush my competition (school, work, sports). For ego? To drive a flash car? For power? That used to be me... but I was not happy despite my successes. And then I had a son with autism.. and with this journey he has helped me realize God within. I now have used my strengths and positive qualities to start a business to help people with complex care needs (like autism). No more trying to be the best.. but do real sewa without big expectations of returns - that will come on its own. Living in the now, being ever present helps me stay centered. Doing Simran and listening and learning bani is very calming for me. I've always had a positive outlook on life - some say "too positive". But Sikhi gives me courage and confidence to stay centered and seek those 5 virtues and the good that will naturally flow out of them. I'm not saintly angel by any means - I have a good laugh, still have the odd drink, I do get angry at times.. but I have a vehicle that brings me back to the center - and that's the key IMHO.

Inspiring....keep it up.

Let us know if you need a hand with your business :)

N30S1NGH

SPNer
Mar 25, 2015
For me purpose of life is to give yourself /give it in to absolute truth always happening here and now ..for once loose our Center being which is been hijacked by our ego loose it to truth (Satnam) because everyone and every thing belongs to truth anyway ..it may not seem that way as we are under illusion.

What a sight it would be when this egoic being surrenders and give way to truth and let absolute truth swallowed itself alive (die before you die) ..its delight to become the very thing that swallowed.

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
For me purpose of life is to give yourself /give it in to absolute truth always happening here and now ..for once loose our Center being which is been hijacked by our ego loose it to truth (Satnam) because everyone and every thing belongs to truth anyway ..it may not seem that way as we are under illusion.

What a sight it would be when this egoic being surrenders and give way to truth and let absolute truth swallowed itself alive (die before you die) ..its delight to become the very thing that swallowed.

could you explain how this works on a pragmatic level?

N30S1NGH

SPNer
Mar 25, 2015
Deeply inquiring-throwing an question in empty quietness, contemplating within, stop believing our thoughts- conditioned egoic mind structure/ mental noise goes within. Most of us believe our thoughts we believe our thoughts define us but thats fallacy, its relative cannot be our true nature. Most of us believe they are their thoughts, characters in the thoughts, they are literally they are thoughts as all of us define ourselves with one thought or next.

There is greater freedom once we start witnessing our thoughts, free from self definitions rather being characters in the thoughts, once we can witness our thoughts then there is a invitation for exploration for greater truth, there is an deeper empty space without self definitions beyond conditioned mind at that moment we allow truth to take our center stage and operate within.

It may seem very complicated but try with first step, try to witness our thoughts rather being in the thoughts, one finds greater solace and greater freedom already.

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
I think:

It's to learn from others.

It's to value your time.

It's to not overthink but be thoughtful.

It's to control your action, your thoughts surroundings etc so they are positive.

I think, the overall meaning of life is to know yourself (like Harry ji) said & express it, Live it without letting anyone sow their seeds of doubt, insecurity and fear in your life.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I think:

It's to learn from others.

It's to value your time.

It's to not overthink but be thoughtful.

It's to control your action, your thoughts surroundings etc so they are positive.

I think, the overall meaning of life is to know yourself (like Harry ji) said & express it, Live it without letting anyone sow their seeds of doubt, insecurity and fear in your life.
Navdeep _ I like what you write and have a question for you. Are we just a combination of atoms and nothing else ?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
The meaning of life, is to live a life of meaning...

Or as Siri tells me... the meaning of life is: Chocolate!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM