• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Salvation/Mukti (ਮੁਕਤੀ) Mean To You As A Sikh?

What does Mukti/salvation (ਮੁਕਤੀ) mean to you as a Sikh?

• Freedom from cycle of birth and death

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Killing of five thieves

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Merging with Akal Purakh/ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ/ Timeless Creator

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Salvation is much cherished goal sought by many in various religions. Throughout many threads people have expressed great desire to reach a state of salvation. This is based on the assumption or belief that we are higher life form born as humans and it is our duty and goall as well as only chance to do so.

There are many words and phrases that are used to describe the aspects of
ਮੁਕਤੀ/salvation. Following are some examples,

• Escape from the 8,400,000 varieties of life forms and being born again into one
    • ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਹੰਕਾਰ । / Lust, Anger, Greed, Attachment, Ego
    • Control of Five thieves
    • Our ਜੋਤ/Light with the creator’s ਜੋਤ/Light (sometimes referred to as ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜੋਤ/ Creator’s light)
  • Other

What you think and what is the one that you believe in? Participate in the poll and if you believe in more than one choice do multiple choices as it is allowed in the poll. mundahug

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Re: What does salvation / Mukti (ਮੁਕਤੀ) mean to you as a Sikh?

Just to indicate my understanding. I believe that once one lives in unison with the inner self and outer self, lives in consonance with creation all around and achieves the best one can with the capabilities so blessed with, one has gotten salvation.

Sat Sri Akal.

Sian Haller

SPNer
Dec 5, 2011
Essex, UK

Ambarsaria Veerji

I am not yet a Sikh, but this is my thought on the matter.
These definitions of salvation imply that they are a one off achievement, and once attained are permanent states regardless of future behaviour.I feel salvation is something you achieve on a daily basis through your actions and behaviour and state of mind.Each day your actions affect whether you achieve salvation, to achieve a permanent state of salvation, this behaviour would have to be second nature and carried out without even thought.I believe this would remain an ongoing process and it must be carried out without any question of reward. I would go as far as to say, that true salvation is achieved by not thinking about it, and concentrating on such action becoming second nature.

I am not enlightened enough to contemplate salvation through freedom of life and death, as I feel this is the only life I will get.

I feel that in living truly and treating people with respect and consideration is an automatic barrier to the five thieves, to kill them is not enough, they will die through your actions, but to concentrate on decimation is treating the symptom, not the illness

I feel that you only become light on death, and that light burns brighter depending on your daily level of salvation, I think that meditation can certainly bring this merging, but it would take a lot of energy and removal from life, and would only seem to benefit the meditator.However I feel meditation has much use if it is directed at life, rather than escaping life.

These are my own thoughts as a non Sikh, I hope they help.

Sian Haller

SPNer
Dec 5, 2011
Essex, UK

Just to indicate my understanding. I believe that once one lives in unison with the inner self and outer self, lives in consonance with creation all around and achieves the best one can with the capabilities so blessed with, one has gotten salvation.

Sat Sri Akal.

Veerji,

You have eloquently managed to put across what I was attempting to say in my clumsy mannermundahug

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Ambarsaria Veerji

I am not yet a Sikh, but this is my thought on the matter.
These definitions of salvation imply that they are a one off achievement, and once attained are permanent states regardless of future behaviour.I feel salvation is something you achieve on a daily basis through your actions and behaviour and state of mind.....
Sian Haller ji I agree 110% with you. I did not want to create much bias but let people think and contribute. I will be ecstatic if we end up to the point described in your post by helping even one person positively, specially the younger ones.

Sat Sri Akal. mundahug

PS: I spot nothing clumsy about your post. Mine is too dry as a matter of fact. lol

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK

Dear Ambarsaria Ji, Sian Ji

Fine posts

I would summarise it one word - contentment

I think both of you cited examples that align with this

Basically, there are so many things going on all the time, in your life, in the lives of people close to you, in the lives of people further away from you. And as Sian Ji noted these are daily occurrences

If you can live with all this turbulence around you, acknowledge it, accept it, accept what you are, what you have etc and remain truly contented, then that is a remarkable achievement indeed

Perhaps I should look more into Buddhism....
:singhsippingcoffee:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

To me MUKTEE is Merging with the Akal Purakh WHILE ALIVE,,so His Gunns..His Attributes Shine through ME..MY Body. Just like when we visit a house ..we cna literally judge form the condition of the house the personality of the house owner..etc..subtle or not so subtle ways...my body is His Harmandar..and my Body should reflect the OWNER/RESIDENT...my ACTIONS..should reflect the Owner resident...the more i reflect HIM..the more "mukt" I am..

The Mother feels so happy and FULL upon seeing her child be happy and eat food...I feel happy and full seeing my dogs eat the BEST foods.......I am sure HE feels happy to see ME eating the Best foods that this earth can provide !...I am just a visible physical "extension" of HIM...and I get more and more MUKT by the passing hour...

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009

Ambarsaria Ji,

I dont know about how many lifetimes, or about my five thieves... nor have I really... all I know is that I was taught to serve, that is someone really needs help, you must help them. You must be of service to others, you must help others. That's it.

I don't know what will come to be, but at the moment, I hope it is somewhat sufficient for Him, as He watches over me... I hope He is somewhat proud of what I've done with this life so far, I know my shortcomings are immense... I'm stubborn, sometimes stupid... but I hope He will redeem me, guide me with love to become a more understanding being... to live the life He's planned for me in the best way.

("He" refers to Guru Ji.)

yes yes I cut my hair, I'm a horrible person, but I still believe I have a relationship with my Guru... and plan to always. The course of my "Sikhi" is in Waheguru's hands.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Ambarsariaji,

I am more with Gyaniji, tuning into essence of Creator, Creator being the only voice in your head, I would call it Sachkhand, where the thieves fade away, but to concentrate on eradication of the thieves is pointless, speaking personally, my thieves are extremely strong, they have led me to addiction to almost every pleasure, and now they must pull me to Sachkhand, to me, Sachkhand is a state of mind of contentment that allows one to achieve salvation through pure actions and thoughts, achieved only through finding that frequency from which the voice of Creator booms loud and clear

Oct 21, 2009
India

Salvation is much cherished goal sought by many in various religions. Throughout many threads people have expressed great desire to reach a state of salvation. This is based on the assumption or belief that we are higher life form born as humans and it is our duty and goall as well as only chance to do so.

There are many words and phrases that are used to describe the aspects of
ਮੁਕਤੀ/salvation. Following are some examples,

• Escape from the 8,400,000 varieties of life forms and being born again into one
    • ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਹੰਕਾਰ । / Lust, Anger, Greed, Attachment, Ego
    • Control of Five thieves
    • Our ਜੋਤ/Light with the creator’s ਜੋਤ/Light (sometimes referred to as ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜੋਤ/ Creator’s light)
  • Other
What you think and what is the one that you believe in? Participate in the poll and if you believe in more than one choice do multiple choices as it is allowed in the poll.

Sat Sri Akal.

A great question Ambarsaria ji,

Mukti and liberation means different to all of us. It may have shades of colors as nicely summed up by you in your posts. It requires no reiteration. Liberation , to me , has some specific connotations. It is believed that Mukti is the state when one is dead when alive and has no Haume and has overcome lower passions and has developed higher virtues with His grace. It may be life time practice culminating into that we may ordinarily call 'Salvation'. One lives for others and has little interest in self welfare as one has left oneself to be taken care of by the Almighty. It may be high sounding, but it is the way I feel and try to practice. In sense I am with you, Gyani ji and Harry ji and others like navdeep88 ji.

I am also aware that salvation is also to be obtained by 'Simran' as well that is the only mode available to keep 'self- connect'. 'Simran' is also a life time affair. It is with great efforts and patience that one attains this. It is why I call 'Akhan Aukha Sacha nao'. It shall come to one who really feels the need of it. One may not carve out the need. I was not bothered about this about 2 years back. But now it has become an integral part of my life.

One need not be bothered about the results. It is a means of progression in life culminating into self perfection and finally absorption with the super consciousness. It is my idea of Mukti or liberation.

But does it really matter?
If my living is truthful and I do that is to be done I am not bothered at the end. Rest is His grace and Nadar. It is upto Him. It is not my business and I do not do any Ardas of any kind ; He knows everything...

With Regards

Last edited:

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Mukhti to me is a release from the wrath from senile, hateful old men... who feel they're in a position to put you in this box or that...who shamelessly insult others, with the intent of hurting their heart... pffft, thats right Ambarsaria, I'm talking to you.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Mukhti to me is a release from the wrath from senile, hateful old men... who feel they're in a position to put you in this box or that...who shamelessly insult others, with the intent of hurting their heart... pffft, thats right Ambarsaria, I'm talking to you.
Sorry Navdeep88 ji if it hurt you but a dead child lying in front of parents just is not a place to say it happens everywhere. At least that is how I feel. Such passion in such situations is my weakness and it perhaps has little chance of remedying itself.

Your insulting is OK if it makes you feel better, I am happy for you. I will not respond in kind no more perhaps it was a mistake when I originally did. Let us part where we disagree as the world is not about you or me going back and forth.peacesign

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I have seen LOTS of "sikhs" who do lots of simran...of NIRBHAU....but on their wrists they tie RED strings ( they are AFRAID of certain shaktees/powers/bad spirits/evil ??? didnt quite become NIRBHAU !!)...then again many do simran of NIRVAIR..but will BITE OFF THE HEAD of anyone doing tiny bit of "criticism"...like Dhadrianwallh exploded at Babbu mann for singing Ek baba nanak See...so didnt quite become NIRVAIR either...this is parrotting..not simran if it ahs no effect on you..Kabir calls this Rirrking Water to get GHEE....ha ha no amount of rirrking water will get ghee or even GREASE lol..........

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Aman Singh Ji,

This man personally and volatiley insulted me, thats not OK! He went way off the issue... all with some stupid assumption about how I was apathetic, when all He needed to do was scroll up and SEE my original response to that picture, it wasnt exactly apathetic.

But I suppose that totally ok, some people can speak to others however they want, take a jab at them however shamelessly, and it will be tolerated? really? I had no idea this was what this forum was about? I didn't know it was an accepted practice here to STOMP on others... that's anti-Sikh. you're not supposed to go around pillaging others under any circumstance...

Goodday!

I think the folowing should be added to forum rules:
Some members can speak to others hatefully, can insult them in every way possible all with the assumption that they know who they are... and that is tolerated. accepted practice...

Last edited:

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Actually I've decided that all of what Ambarsaria Ji said in the other posts, I will discard it b/c according to him I was written off for life, useless, heartless... all this without ever having met me, without knowing me personally. lol

with every hurt, every loss, this heart's gonna get stronger. thank you for my most recent hurt.kudihug

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
mundahug That's the spirit Navdeep ji. Give others some space for their behaviour whether desirable or undesirable. When negative emotions arise give them space to be. Speak out but with that space. Mukti is this space when it encapsulates everything that arises. You become this space, grow as this space. In this space all births and deaths are dissolved, all thieves are dissolved, one becomes the all-encapsulating space that is God.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Navdeepji,

You must remember as we get older, we get more used to our heart being hurt, when I was your age, I was in a constant state of hurt, everybody hurt me, my parents, my girlfriend, my friends, looking back, I cannot even remember what it feels like to be hurt anymore, age has numbed the ability to be hurt. However it is easy for us older members to forget how sensitive we all were when we were younger. I have no idea what posts you are referring to, or what was said, but clearly your feelings have been hurt, and surely part of salvation is to recognise when we have hurt others and try and put it right, please also try and recognise the difference between inflamed passion and downright cruelty, I do feel it was the former, and if you can tell the difference at a young age, you will go far, as you will find your strings being less pulled as you mature and grow.

Bhagat Singhji, Your post describes death as far as I am concerned, salvation is an understanding and requires discipline and effort, not aloofness and detachment, through this understanding, we grow, till we are enlightened and wise, rather than unfeeling and floating, we are after all meant to be householders and I think sometimes you forget that

Ambersariaji, What Navdeepji has stated is water off a ducks back to you, but what you have stated has clearly caused much upset, I think as we get older the saying treat others as you wish to be treated should read, treat others as you would wish to be treated if they were you at that stage in life

mundahugpeacesign

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM