• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What counts as a sikh nowadays?

Aug 23, 2022
Hello all,

I am curious to know what counts a sikh nowadays? We have lost our identities. The late great bhai jagraj singh of basics of sikhi had spoken on this topic prior but I am still confused... does a sikh only count as strict amrithdaris who have lived honest lives and never committed sins?

or what about all these newer gen of "atheist punjabis" who love bhangra and alcohol but don't like or follow sikhi principles, do we count them as sikhs aswell? I know we are not supposed to judge but I feel we must draw the line somewhere, because as a young person these double standards are very confusing and we are losing our religion due to too much tolerance and mixed messages in the community.

Any guidance is appreciated

Thanks

Oct 27, 2021
Hello all,

I am curious to know what counts a sikh nowadays? We have lost our identities. The late great bhai jagraj singh of basics of sikhi had spoken on this topic prior but I am still confused... does a sikh only count as strict amrithdaris who have lived honest lives and never committed sins?

or what about all these newer gen of "atheist punjabis" who love bhangra and alcohol but don't like or follow sikhi principles, do we count them as sikhs aswell? I know we are not supposed to judge but I feel we must draw the line somewhere, because as a young person these double standards are very confusing and we are losing our religion due to too much tolerance and mixed messages in the community.

Any guidance is appreciated

Thanks

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM