• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Self What Am I So Afraid Of?

sikhconvert

SPNer
Aug 27, 2016
Las Vegas
Why do I fear judgement from others so much? Why am I such a coward with how I truly feel? I want to tell everyone I know about Sikhi. What holds me back? I know what does. It was my interest in a man who taught me about Islam, and the idea of connecting to my creator alone appealed to me. My own mother threatened suicide if I became Muslim. I wouldn't have, but their opposition to me even mentioning religion was terrifying. Their mocking of me believing in God was too much. With Sikhi, I feel like they wouldn't be any more understanding. I found something so beautiful and gave me purpose, correlated with my values so much, and I feel like they'd dismiss it as another "religion" and demean my feelings. I feel so disheartened when I think of not being able to share a beautiful faith with them. :(

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
Don't worry about sharing with others for now. The journey is long, and the time will come when you will share with others. For now, the time is for you to develop yourself and for your soul to connect to the Source.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Its natural to fear judgment to some extent. I think the more we become confident and closer to what we believe in, the easier it can become to express it. It can take time to reach that point, and eventually we will have to take the leap. Once we get used to doing so, it will come more naturally.

I think it becomes even more difficult when what we believe is not in the mainstream. I have also struggled with this.

If it is difficult at this point to verbally express how you feel about Sikhi, then perhaps just live Sikhi in your actions. Be content with yourself, and your actions will speak for them self! Soon enough you'll get to where you want to be!

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Its natural to fear judgment to some extent. I think the more we become confident and closer to what we believe in, the easier it can become to express it. It can take time to reach that point, and eventually we will have to take the leap. Once we get used to doing so, it will come more naturally.

I think it becomes even more difficult when what we believe is not in the mainstream. I have also struggled with this.

If it is difficult at this point to verbally express how you feel about Sikhi, then perhaps just live Sikhi in your actions. Be content with yourself, and your actions will speak for them self! Soon enough you'll get to where you want to be!

Fear is an illusion, live the foundation laws of niboah and nirvair, being all loving and fearless for All is Him, and you stop fearing and caring about others and their judgements and you start believing and trusting in Truth.

Society is a gimmick, everyone's really busy living their own lives, people live in their own attachments.

Share with people who are open to listening to you. You can't teach someone who isn't willing to listen and we don't force teachings upon people.

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
Why do I fear judgement from others so much? Why am I such a coward with how I truly feel? I want to tell everyone I know about Sikhi. What holds me back? I know what does. It was my interest in a man who taught me about Islam, and the idea of connecting to my creator alone appealed to me. My own mother threatened suicide if I became Muslim. I wouldn't have, but their opposition to me even mentioning religion was terrifying. Their mocking of me believing in God was too much. With Sikhi, I feel like they wouldn't be any more understanding. I found something so beautiful and gave me purpose, correlated with my values so much, and I feel like they'd dismiss it as another "religion" and demean my feelings. I feel so disheartened when I think of not being able to share a beautiful faith with them. :(

Its ok to feel like this, but remember that sikhi also teaches us that in our journey we're all alone . God is with us, but god is the inner self (soul) itself.
Atman(soul) and Brahman(god) is same . Thats why we say "God is always with us" .

I think you're not religious but more of a spiritual and philosophical person.
And thats good !

First focus on yourself, develop yourself strong from inside , then only you go talk about it to your parents. Let your parents see how sikhi made you strong from inside and outside :)

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
If I'm honest I think Your mother has very real and legitimate fears.. And a mother is like 'god'.. Does she love you? Do you love her? If you do and you have found a affinity with Sikhi then the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

My two pence worth

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: