• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Wearing Socks In The Gurdwara

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
It is interesting to notice how we all become the products of the environment we have lived for some time.
As far as I can remember, I only did Seva in the 'Shoe room' with my older brothers in India during the 3-day Gurupurab celebrations. My sisters did is in Langar hall. We used to clean all the shoes. We even used to be served Langar there.
In the diaspora, where self-service is mode de vie, the Shoe Seva has become obsolete. As a result, the self-service shoe room has become dirty because keeping it as a Seva has ceased to be the priority in the 'humility' list of Sikhi, perhaps.
Sock wearing in the Gurdwara is also the creation of the west as we use them all the time. This is not possible in the historic Gurdwaras in India because one has to wade through the water. Somehow, I take my socks off before sitting on the stage if I am sitting with them on in the Darbar Sahib.
I remember quite nitidly that my mum used to wear wooden clogs especially used for the kitchen. One can start doing that in the Gurdwara kitchens so the feet remain clean or any other comfortable shoes.
As far as carrying SGGS on a street, shoes should be mandatory for the safety of the SGGS and the pretence of 'washing' the streets whilst sprinkling water in the front should be banned too.

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
Cold day or not, I don't wear my socks, I don't want my socks to step on some dal or dahani on the floor in the langar hall, or get it wet. It happened to me a bunch of times, so I just walk bare feet.

dalvinder45

SPNer
Jul 22, 2023
Worn socks smell badly. We desire the pure environment in Gurdwaras. With badly smelling socks the environment is polluted hence not desirable..

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Worn socks smell badly.
This is generalizing. If socks are smelling then feet would be smelling too. If that is the case then it should be pointed out in both cases.

It is a matter of personal hygiene. Whether you are walking bare feet or with socks, you attract same kind of dust particles. Human body is moist and would naturally attract dust depending on the environment.
And It's not as if you are not wearing socks you are not going to restrooms.

We can never judge it. It's a matter of personal hygiene. Un-necessary bugging others to take off socks is plain childish moral policing. Should be avoided.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM