• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News WE Need Sikh Media !

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Related Links India's Sikh leader says Nankana Sahib stories 'fabricated' - Deepika News (October 2, 2004)
sikhmedia.jpg

etinder

SPNer
Jul 26, 2004
New Delhi, India
what we need is a full blown sikh media company that should include a national newspaper, radio station and tv broadcasting channels..with an agenda where anything anti-sikh is not tolerated and truth is presented no matter how bitter and unbelievable it is.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
On CNN they had a person by the name of "Satinder Bindra" who lives and works in India reporting on tsunami relief...

Too bad he was a mona, and everyone probably thought he was a hindu.

Wouldn't this have been prime time to show the identity?
Everyones watching the news for tsunami relief, and then they go to the Indian media news for reporting and you get this mona guy...

it's kinda sad...but its India, what do you expect..

This guy, just this one single person could have done alot for Sikhs if only he kept the identity. Think of the connections the average American would have been able to draw. Indian Media person wearing turban...Indian Prime Minister wears turban, he is a Sikh, this guy must be a Sikh too.

Satinder Bindra was reporting news on the tsunami for days.
I thought i saw a kara on his wrist at one time :(

Jun 1, 2004
I just now got this email from one Harminder Singh Ji... its makes a very interesting statement.... ok i goes like this...

Dear Aman Ji, Please the eye witness, which i wrote following the whole fiasco. Please post it on your website and you may distribute as necessary as I think it'll help to elevate the negativity and confusion build around the event.

With regards

Harminder

..............................................................................................

My True Eye Witness Account

On Monday 13th of December, 2004, I found in my inbox an e-mail forwarded from a good friend about a play by the name of Behazti, which was being staged at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre. Initially, I thought it was one of those, which get circulated about issues and causes concerning the Sikh community. Being a Sikh myself I like to keep an myself updated, on topical concerns of the community. Sometimes the circulars arrive with hardly any supporting information, and sometimes the supporting information is poorly researched or written which seems to trivialize genuine legitimate grievances. The information however on this occasion was well researched and I felt that attention is warranted for. But before coming to any sort of conclusion I needed to see the play myself.

The following day, I e-mailed another friend asking whether he could review the play. I had come to trust his judgment over a period of time. He mailed back saying neither yes nor no, but commenting on Bhatti's last play Besharam which he had found to be worthwhile. Somehow I felt uneasy about this play. I so much wanted to see it myself, but my next 3 evenings were booked up too. In the evening it was the works Xmas meal, and letting my team down was impossible for me.

I pursued my interest in the play and contacted a community activist, who informed me that the play at the Rep had attracted protests. He said that about hundred people, some students of the Universities, other professionals/workers, after a hard day's work would go and stand in the cold for up to 3 hours, other elder members of the community also wanted to be heard.

During the midweek, another friend rang asking whether I heard the latest. Her mum along with 8 other women through a mental well being group were taken to the see the play. Jasmeet informed me that her mum was still disturbed that evening. Clearly the play was inappropriate for an audience who were mentally unwell. Following this conversation and talking to some of the women myself, I wrote the following on their behalf.

Dear Sir,

It is with great grief and disappointment that we write this letter. On the 16th December, I myself and other 8 other women went to see a play by the name of Bahezati (dishonor). We did not know of its content but found that the play was anti Sikh, blasphemous and totally inappropriate. I left in between and stood outside waiting for my friends who too simply felt equally distressed. Some other people left the play in between in the middle too. We are older members of the Sikh faith, and never in our experiences have we ever come across such incidents as rape within the Gurdwara complex.

For us Sikhs Gurdwara or house of God is sanctimonious to our religion, the depiction of rape defiles the sacredness and purity associated with the house of God. If these incidents are cause of concern we would be the first ones to raise our voice of concern against the injustice in accordance with the Sikh Law. If statistics show that rape is regular occurrence in Gurdwaras then we have no complaint against yourselves but to tell lies about a community who are already misunderstood and who are prone to discrimination is totally an inexcusable act. We would appreciate that the play is removed immediately and the organisers tender an apology to the Sikh world.

We look forward to hearing from you

Sincerely

Charan Kaur (Mrs)

After talking to those who saw the play and reading online reviews on the Rep website, I had made my mind that I would be joining the protesters. Come Saturday, at around 4.40 pm, I parked my car at the local Gurdwara. An aunt joined me from there, and an uncle dropped us at the Rep for 5.30pm. People stood all along the Rep, which had been warded off by semi fence like iron gates. I looked for women, and immediately I saw familiar faces, I found an acquaintance,

"hey", I said looking around, and why is everyone so quiet? Make some noises. No chaos, no rola rapaâ". I joked.

"It's a peaceful protest", this acquaintances warned as if I had come to be rowdy. This made me smile. Sikhs protests are always peaceful and to suggest otherwise even in jest was not appropriate.

I saw there a small group of Hindus, the men wore tilak on their foreheads, and some women were in their saris. After about five minutes of quiet stillness, exuberant Sikh slogans were voiced. Bole so Nihal! Deg Teg! Fateh! People simultaneously joined in with Sat Sri Akal and Fateh! The Hindu friends were out of tune with words unfamiliar to their ears, but they tried to join in as much as they could, I was touched with the loyalty of these individuals. In the last years since the genocide of the Sikhs in India, Sikhs have felt alienated from the Hindus. I particularly welcomed their efforts.

"Let's go to the other side of the entrance and join the ladies there", this acquaintance urged. I followed her. We walked across, passing people, some familiar, other unfamiliar chatting in small groups. Most people faced the front of Rep, looking eager, worried and concerned. There was an air of frustration in the air too. About fifteen metres from the entrance, we joined a group of women. My acquaintance called me to come to the front, as I squeezed my way in to meet her, she thrust in my hand a banner.

Stood on the steps were 3 policemen, one of middle age and the other two youngish must be in their twenties. One of them looked thuggish, I thought. From time to time, he muttered quietly in his colleague's ear and smirked when people voiced. "Bole So Nihal! Sat Sri Akal! "Deg Teg! Fateh!" What do we want? Justice! "Rep you are racist! " I then noticed that this thuggish looking policeman was no longer there.

The two policemen strolled on the steps and started to chat with those standing in the front row. The middle aged policeman was surprised that out of the three sisters who stood next to me, one was aspiring to be a teacher, one a lawyer, another a scientist, ordinary people protesting peacefully for their basic right to be heard. I asked the young policeman about his opinion on the play. "I'm not allowed to give my opinion, but I don't think the play should be shown". He answered. We stood there in the cold talking and chatting to the policemen, they seemed to know that the Sikhs were productive, tolerant and a proud race.

I handed the banner to my neighbour and went to look for a friend who was due to meet me for this peaceful demo. I went around the crowd looking for her and bumped into a familiar face, doctor by the name of Bedi.

"Why has this come to this stage" I queried looking at the concerned crowds who implored to be heard.

"This is what happened in 1947" he sighed, when you are in meetings, you reach decision with results, he said reflecting on history. I asked him whether any meeting had taken place between the Rep and the community. To which he informed, "This has been going on for a long time at least 2 months".

I rejoined the group of women, finding my place in the front again. There can be no Sikh gathering without refreshments, tea was brought out to all, 2 young men served the tea, one handing plastic cups, the other filling it with hot sweet tea. The women behind me complimented the tea saying it was perfect, just like the tea in India. The policemen too were offered tea and they sipped it with thanks. I wondered whether they liked sugar too. I relished the time with the community it is not often that I see the community united advocating on matters, which required collective attention.

An elderly man muttered annoyingly "what are we to do? It is everyday that something or the other is happening". I understood his frustrations despite the dynamics the community at large is perturbed at the not being heard, so much goes on but never gets any coverage.

Every year Sikhs protest peacefully in memory of those butchered in 1984, this year June 2004, to mark 20th. Anniversary of the genocide, thousands of Sikhs from all over the country gathered in front of Ten Downing Street. Not a single word did the PM or any of the Ministers utter, no one raised a voice in support or in sympathy of the genocide. To mark 400th year of the compilation of their holy book, an exclusive event at the Royal Albert hall was held. Michael Howard, Prince Charles, Trevor Philips gave hearty speeches to appease the Sikhs. None of these or our countless other events have attract any publicity. Our causes, concerns, celebrations, our views did not warrant the attention of the media. Not even Dr. Manmohan Singh's visit to the UK was covered by any of the TV channels.

I understood the annoyance felt by the old man. The omnipotent and all-powerful media Gods were not interested. Repetitive clichéd words of how productive the Sikhs are at Sikh conferences and social gatherings had lost its productivity, the mantra like a charade used to appease but never deals with issues of bullying, issues of racism, killings which happened since after September due to mistaken identity. And now Blunkett's blunders were more important than the play held at the Rep. Maybe one day the media may need the Sikhs that was a vision too far away to visualize in its completeness. But for now, there was no press to be seen, no radio expect for the reporter of `The Sikh Times', and he had disappeared well before the disruptiveness.

And then right in front of my eyes, a group of men of all ages mainly young marched forward, determined to be heard one way or the other. Was there any other way? From my understanding all methods have been tried. All communication exhausted still they were unheard. They stood here day in day out for the last 9 days, Rep turned deaf to the voice of the Sikh community. The men marched across together; the three policemen tried to block them but were no match for these determined men. The policemen struggled but managed to stand right at the entrance. The pace of men fastened as a drum raged in full blast. The men stormed up to the entrance and stood, from my eyewitness account, these men did not enter the theatre, they stood yelling, shouting uncontrollably to be heard.

Amidst this commotion individual men threw (I did not see the object) and the windows cracked. After a while another threw an object and another window cracked. The door was smashed. 2 to 3 young men started to run across to the left end entrance, I guess inside, the Rep must have sensed the disruptiveness and may have opened these doors to let out or in, (I could not quite tell) the audiences from the inside.

Soon after about 7 minutes later, the police surrendered the Rep. By this time the women had slowly started to walk towards the left and we all stood by the wall, witnessing what was to be fabricated by the Press as riots, violence and terror.

The police with their batons ready to attack lined it themselves closely to control the people from the left end. One of the policemen shouted repeatedly at an elderly disabled woman.

"Keep moving", he continued to yell.

He pushed her she struggled to walk as fast as her legs allowed

"Can't you see she can't t walk any faster" I shouted back at the officer.

"We are not football hooligans", another woman cautioned him

His tone then turned little more courteous

"Keep on moving madam"

Once we had been moved in to the middle, the police chained themselves to prevent an entry to the theatre. It appeared that people had no intention of entering the theatre in anyway nor did they try to do so. The crowd started to disperse as the police moved them back. I observed that the passer- by went through their own business normally despite the large gatherings. I also observed a family shielding their 2 children walked from one side to the other, my eyes met with the woman's who gave me a look of venom. The children looked frightened.

Soon after this I noticed in front of me a man taking out his camera equipment, a messenger from the Gods. BRMB radio reporter stood in nearby wanting to interview two young girls, the girls were excited at the prospects of being interviewed, they beamed,

"You are not going to say anything bad about us, are you", they queried innocently but excitedly for his reassurance.

"No, I just want to interview people who have seen the play" he replied.

"Well we haven't seen the play", they both said

"That doesn't matter, let's get started" the reporter was eager.

I too stepped in to give my account but our voices could not be heard against the loud noise of drums, which remerged once again with full intensity. The reporter and the girls went away for a quiet interview. I stood there observing the crowds, talking to some of the people. One middle aged white man had come out with his camcorder, he told me that he lives near by and he had come to observe after hearing the deafening police sirens. He wondered what the fuss was about and did not like the presence of large number of police. His views were coloured by his own experiences with the police. When I told him that one of the police officers pushed an old woman,

"I am not surprised, and that is what I am here for, to record their heavy handedness" he said.

By this time up to 3-4 leaders of the community stood on the high ledge at the front, addressing the crowds. Without the microphone their voices were lost in the air, undecipherable. After a while, I enquired about what was being announced. Rep is canceling the play for today, there was a look of relief on people's faces, but that was not enough. Eventually, by 8.40pm, the leaders asked people to go home, I asked one of the orthodox Sikhs who emerged from the crowd about what was happening now.

"The police are going to mediate between Rep and the Sikh leaders. The meetings will be held in the morning. He said.

Both Aunt and I walked back to our destination.

Jumping on the Bandwagon- Racist press (Part 2)

Following mediation meetings the Rep management released a press statement, like wildfire the news spread on every radio, every TV channel and every newspaper in Britain and around the World. The omnipotent press with their unwavering energy and technology at their disposal engineered the event to portray that the Sikhs are extremists, militants, intolerants and violent. Comparisons with Salman Rushdie affair and radical Islamic fundamentalists are being made. Not even the genocide of the 20 thousand Sikhs in 1984 attracted this much attention to the one, which conjured up 5 injured policemen (I did not see any falling on the floor or otherwise) violent riots, and proclaimed smashed windows and the cancellation of play.

Last week each day brought more relentless bashing all under the banner of "Freedom of Speech" what a clever device to shield arrogant power to further hurt and damage a community known for its fight in freedom against injustice, freedom of religious practices and freedom of speech. Freedom of Speech does not warrant a freedom to abuse a community, freedom to incite racial hatred, which the play clearly sets out to do, even though Bhatti writes it.

Funny, how opportunists jumped on the bandwagon, to name a few, Trevor Philips, Yasmin Ali Bhai Brown and Estelle Morris and of course SAMPAD. How quickly they came to make their baseless judgments. How fast they entrapped into media's over hyped sensationalist analyses between "|Freedom of speech" verses "Suppression of speech" The director of CRE even more irresponsible openly declaring biased views in support of the play or "freedom of speech" as he puts it. What sort of message does this send to the public at large who have little knowledge of other religious values or sensitivities? The media has used every tactic and opportunity at its disposal to marginalize and alienate the Sikhs on this very sensitive issue and CRE jumped on the bandwagon.

>From the racial perspective the CRE should have been at the forefront as representatives of the Sikhs. Majority of the British public who will see this play do not have a clear understanding of the Sikh religious community. They will leave the people feeling that the communities at large are the way they have been portrayed in this play. Even in work of fiction, people who are unfamiliar with the Sikhs will form racial prejudices based on negative portrayal and seeds of hatred have already been sown. Clearly the play incited religious hatred.

The setting of the play in the Gurdwara depicts that the Gurdwara is not a place of spiritual worship but where abuse of absolute power is exercised on a daily basis upon its congregation. It is worrying to see that the C R E can take a step back and state that this type of play is acceptable without any thought or consideration for those people who it is clearly set up for, and is there to represent. Manipulatively, the press brainwashed the nation first into perceiving that the Sikhs are villains and then one of the popular TV channels undertook the following survey live on air.

Central News, asked the British population should the play continue? Yes or no? 85% said yes 15% said no. The most amusing fact here is that the Sikhs did not ask for the discontinuation of the play. Even more amusing is that these surveys reflect further foolhardy and impulsiveness of the media, the proportion of the Sikhs within the UK is a tiny minority. After dividing public opinions and creating racial rift, the survey is deemed to be completely baseless and totally biased.

It is not about right or wrong, injustice or justice, it is about political power, those who possess it are in a position to abuse it at the expense of those who posses little of it. Who knows who will be entrapped in to their in differentiated foregone conclusions, harmful portrayal and artful mirth making to malign those with minimum political voice.

What Now? To my fellow Sikhs

Following the events last week, we must all feel compelled to examine and build our relationship with the media. We need to foresee issues, discuss, debate and evaluate ourselves, causes and concerns with open minds. We need infiltrate the policies at national and international level with our agenda. We need to create or recreate a connection with the almighty one supreme Akal Purkh (Almighty) and walk on the path of truth not only in preaching but practicing it too.

We need to break the shackles of hypocrisy, which decays our growth and freedom. Generally speaking our Gurdwaras in Britain are so far behind in building the capacity of the congregation/ community. Let us each and every one of us start by influencing and empowering our people to play an active role in not only in investing money but becoming resourceful leaders too, confident in defending the faith and the communities against all adversities and malice.

God Bless all humanity!

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Aman Ji

it was realy very eye openinng article and I also feel need of sikhs to me more into local politics and media and I agree that such a play has no sense of freedom of speech when majority of audience really dont know much about SIKH religion

Majority of the British public who will see this play do not have a clear understanding of the Sikh religious community. They will leave the people feeling that the communities at large are the way they have been portrayed in this play. Even in work of fiction, people who are unfamiliar with the Sikhs will form racial prejudices based on negative portrayal and seeds of hatred have already been sown. Clearly the play incited religious hatred.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: