• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

We Need A Sikh Reform

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
WJK WJF...

THE SINGH SABHA REFORM MOVEMENT, THE START OF THE KHALSA PANTH...both events and many moe illustrate how the SIKH SANGATSTOOD UP TO THOSE WHO WANTED TO MISLEAD SIKHI FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL GAINS ...ETC. Guru Gobind Singh started the Khalsa Spiritual Movement in an attempt to unite the split umongst Sikhs, and to recognise and accept Guru Ji. The 1920's reform movement came as a result of the attempts by the British to convert SIKHI INTO CHRISTIANITY, the attempts of HINDUS TO MERGE OUR RELIGION WITH THEIRS (Modern Equivalent is the Rashstrya Sikh Sangat RSS), and also attempts of MUSLIMS TO CONVERT SIKHS TO ISLAM.

Today the state of the way WE practice SIKHI is unfortunantly to be questioned.

I believe such things are a result of the influences of other faiths wanting us to convert to their faiths.

INFLUENCE OF OTHER FAITHS/MOVEMENTS
We can see nowadays that muslims/hindus/christians all go around making false claims about Guru Granth, and its bani, they claim its inconsistent, they claim that we are a sect of their faith, or they allure us with promises like !!!CONVERT TODAY, AND YOU CAN EAT MEAT, YOU CAN DRINK, YOU CAN MARRY AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!!!, basically sikhs gave up their HEADS for sticking by Guruji, nowadays we give in to our stomachs and our selfish minds to quick and convert to faiths.

THE MESSAGE OF GURU GRANTH IS MORE MODERN, just read all the translations, and you will know yourself.

Guru Granth has already acknowledged Evolution and life starting in Water, LONG BEFORE DARWIN or OTHER SCIENTIST. Guru Granth has already acknowledged equallity for all, whereas such laws have only passed in western countries in the last 100 years to recognise such equality.

However, the essence of Gurbani in Sikhi has been taken our of the question. We no longer use gurbani as a means of guidance, Rather to perform rituals as a means of providing GOOD LUCK, WORDLY HAPINESS, etc.

This is why we need to question ARE WE ACTUALLY PRACTICING SIKHI HOW WE SHOULD?

I have been on many forums, reading various discussions by Learned Sikhs who are finally WOKEN UP to all the rutuals we are practicing in Gurdwaras and the General Sikh population.

Gurbani
With regard to Gurbani, many believe that reading 5 Bani (the 5 prayers) at the relevant times every day of our lives is the simple answer to gaining Muktee (Salvation/Oneness with God).

The thing I do not understand is why we do such things, e.g. we say that reading Kirtan Sohilla before we sleep will give us peace of mind and happy thoughts. WHEN I READ KIRTAN SOHILLA (Translated) it clearly states in the Bani that Meditating on the Lord's Name achieves peace of the Mind...NOTHING ELSE, in particular, READING THE BANI IN A RITUALISTIC MANNER.

HOWEVER, HAVE ANY OF US EVER EVEN READ GURBANI BY ACTUALLY TRYING TO UNDERSTAND IT, because frankly after reading a few translations, the general message is that to ACTUALLY gain MUKTEE, you have to MEDITATE on the Lord's Name, Waheguru.

People think that simply reading 5 Banis everyday is actually having a benefitial effect, DONT GET ME WRONG, it does, but when we blindly read the Gurbani everyday and not even understand it and apply its message to our life, THEN SUCH ACTS ARE JUST USELESS.

We simply on a special occasion pay x amount of money to a Giani/Granthi, to do an Ardas, or do Akhand Paath for our benefit. MAY I RAISE AWARENESS, that such rituals are of HINDU practicies, they do such acts in the belief that its benefitial to their minds.

BUT in Gurbani it states APP HATI AAPEH EH AAP KARAJ SAVAREHAH (matters dealt with ones own hands), in other words, we must do such acts ourselves, NOT THROUGH SOME GIANI.

Reform on Gurbani Practice
As it is apparent, therefore WHY DO NOT WE REFORM THE WAY IN WHICH GURBANI IS TO BE USED.

We see in Gurdwaras that the Giani up front reads out Bani in a melody which is supposivly meant to be Kirtan, and all the onlookers just sit there listening to it, not understanding it.

As per Guru Granth, Kirtan is meant to be PRAISE OF GOD, not reading out His Bani in a melodic format to the followers. WE SHOULD THEREFORE IN GURDWARAS SING PRAISES OF GOD, because there are countless prayers of God in Guru Granth, NOT READ THE GURBANI IN A BLIND FASHION.

Even Hukamnama which is meant to be the Guru Ji's message of the day is not understood. EITHER READ THIS IN ENGLISH, BOTH ENGLISH AND GURMUKHI...OR GURMUKHI...ENGLISH AND PUNJABI, because its meant to be knowledge for us, and we are going to gurdwara everytime and not even taking an ounce of knowledge back with us or gaining anything.

Gurdwara Reform
We are always asking the question...WHY ARE THE YOUTH TURNING AWAY FROM GURWARAS??

We should not ask questions to people, but ask a self reflecting question...what are we doing to drive them AWAY?

Google has become more of a means of the Youth learning about Sikhi and Gurbani...than a Gurdwara. WHAT HAPPENED HERE? The youth want to learn about Sikhi...but when we practice these empty rituals inside the walls of a so called Gurdwara, then what benefit is the youth gaining, they just sit there look at the SHOW and have a meal (LANGAR) at the end and go home...FREE ENTERTAINMENT...LOLZ..dare I say, because we all turn up to Gurdwara, and take nothing away.

EVEN WHEN IT COMES TO GIANIS, they turn up in their repective groups (JATHAAS), stay a few weeks or months at Gurdwara, earn a few bob (bit of money) and then just leave, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT BENEFITING THE SIKH NATION, their GREED and PERSONAL GAINS come first. WE ARE IN NEED OF SIKH INTELLECTS, who are taught PROPER SIKHI from institutes not some uneducated Sikh from a pind in Punjab who looks for a way of making money. EVEN I DO NOT UNDERSTAND COMPLETLY GURBANI WHEN I READ IT, THAT IS WHY I RESOLVE TO TRANSLATIONS.

WE NEED INTELLECTS WHO WOULD EXPLAIN IN ENGLISH AND PUNJABI TO THE SANGAT WHAT THE MESSAGE OF GURBANI IS AND HOW TO UNDERSTAND IT.

Muslims teach their kids from early age Quran, expect them to memorise it, SAME THINGS WERE DONE IN OUR DAY BACK AT GURUJI TIME, kids were taught Gurbani and proper Sikhi, NOWADAYS none of that happens and on top of that those GIANIS who sit round in their spare time during the evening at Gurdwaras could take out time to teach Gurbani.

I have pleanty more things to say, but I will only continue this article with your opinions and also I will write more accordingly, I do not wish to write a whole DOSSIER on how to reform Sikhi. THIS IS AN OPENER FOR A DISCUSSION ON SIKH REFORM PLEASE MAKE YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS.

THE REFORM MOVEMENT SINGH SABHA OF 1920's WAS THERE TO WIPE CLEAN OFF THE FACE OF SIKH PRACTICES ALL THE RITUALS AND RITES WHICH WERE IMPOSED BY THE BRITISH AND BRAHMINS who wanted to DESTROY SIKHI.

TODAY WE ARE FACED WITH THE SAME PROBLEM...SIKHI NOT BEING PRACTICED PROPERLY AND WRONGLY TIME FOR A NEW REFORM MOVEMENT AND I KNOW FOR A FACT THERE ARE MANY COUNTLESS AWOKEN INDIVIDUALS OUT THERE WHO HAVE OPENED THEIR EYES TO THE PROBLEMS...SO PLEASE BEFORE SIKHI GOES DOWN A PATH OF NO RETURN WHERE IT WILL LEAD TO A DEAD END...LETS GO BACK TO BASICS...RETRACE OUR STEPS...SEE WHERE WE WENT WRONG...AND WITH THE GUIDANCE OF GURU GRANTH...RUN SIKHI HOW ITS MEANT TO BE

WJK WJF

Gurdip Singh

SORRY FOR ANY MISTAKES, AND WHERE I MADE NO SENSE, I HAVE NOT WRITTEN THIS IN ESSAY FORMAT, JUST QUICK OPINION, BUT PLEASE I CALL ON THE PANTH...ESPECIALLY THE YOUTH TO GIVE THEIR OPINIONS, AND PLEASE DO NOT BE OFFENDED, WAKE UP TO SUCH BLIND FAITH, AND YOU WILL REALISE THAT SIKHI IN FACT IS NOT BEING PRACTICED, AND WE ARE IN DIRE NEED OF A REFORM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Dear Veer ji,

Such kind of articles bring only one thought within me - If we just start on improving on ourselves.. that s a good start. Once we become sikh ourselves, then we can go on to reform others. As they say - reforming others is easier than reforming oneself.

Once I become a sikh myself, that itself would be a great beginning towards this reform.

Bhull chukk Maaf ji,

Sincerely, Arvind.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
here we go, more meat debates, oh well...

Anyways, i agree with most of your post, we do need a reform, especially gurdwara's - our youth need to reconnect with each other and the older generations and learn more on sikhi.

We also must start a new reform - spread the word of guru ji to the 4 corners of the earth!

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Bindy_Bains said:
here we go, more meat debates, oh well...

Anyways, i agree with most of your post, we do need a reform, especially gurdwara's - our youth need to reconnect with each other and the older generations and learn more on sikhi.

We also must start a new reform - spread the word of guru ji to the 4 corners of the earth!

Well i am glad some people are seeing the need for reform, shame not many others could even respond by a simple yes or no for reform.

Also Bindy_Bains you have included an email address to support NEW SIKHS, well at the end of the day, a reform will benefit "NEW SIKHS", as by improving understanding of Gurbani by translating it, or explaining it in English for the newer generations, and new sikhs will benefit by actually explaining Gurbani in their language that they best understand.

WJKWJF

LAKHBIR

SPNer
Nov 4, 2005
YES I AGREE 100 PERCENT WITH THIS AND YES REFORM DOES NEED TO TAKE PLACE IN THE SIKH PLACE OF WORSHIP. yES THERE NEEDS TO BE A REFORM WHERE SIKHS ARE ACTUALLY BEING TAUGHT SIKHISM IN THE TEMPLES AS THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE AND WAS AT THE TIME OF OUR GURUS. uNTIL THIS REFORM WHERE SIKH BOYS AND GIRLS ARE TAUGHT SIKHISM IN THE SIKH PLACE OF WORSHIP WE AS A FAITH OR RACE WILL NOT PROSPER.

wE AS SIKHS ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE DESTRUCTION OF OUR OWN FAITH BY NOT PASSING ON OUR GURU BANI TEACHINGS TO THE YOUNG CHILDREN.
mORE PRESSURE NEEDS TO BE PUT ON THE COMMITEES WHO RUN THE SIKH INSTITUTIONS SO THAT THIS CAN HAPPEN AS THEY HAVE THE SANGATS WEALTH AT THEIR DISPOSAL TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE.

bUT UNTIL THEN AS SIKHS WE SHOULD TAKE OUT 1 HOUR A DAY OR AS MUCH TIME AS WE CAN IN OUR HOMES TO TEACH SIKH THOUGHT AND GURUBANI TO OUR CHILDREN SO OUR FAITH AND TEACHINGS ARE NOT LOST!!!!

By doing this it will give and bring a peace of mind to our children which i believe is the best gift anyone can give to their children.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
lol wut i feel when i read it, is that people look on to us like were superior so every religion wants to bring us down (jealousy)
lol
sikhism has no flaws! u gotta agree
the price is higher but every one (well maybe not everyone) knows its the best product in the market

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Firstly I do agree with Arvind, at the end of the day, if we better ourselves, then others will also.

What LAKHBIR says fills me up with happiness, because this shows Sikhs are up for a change, ON AN INTERNATIONAL LEVEL.

WHAT ASTONISHES ME IS HOW THIS PROBLEM IS WORLDWIDE...NOT JUST IN A FEW COUNTRIES.

I reckon that the whole committee system should be abolished, simply on the basis that firstly the members quarrel amongst each other on stupid matters, they fight (sometimes resulting in violence, e.g. taking out kirpans and having a go at each other like what happened at one of my local gurdwaras and what happens in many others), and also through their own personal gains, they make false claims and aim to make a name in the community and money all through GURBANI. Committees are not going to listen for change, if they did we would not be in this mess in the first place, we need an independent body to challenge and put pressure on Gurdwaras and other Sikh Institutions to improve the way Sikhi is run and actually promote proper Prechar (preaching/following) of Sikhi, not our ritualistic and forgive me Hindufied practices which Guruji discarded in the first place.

It is all well and true to discuss a need for a reform movement, but such a reform moment will begin, these are just the early stages. I have recognised how even the older generation look at the state of how sikhi is now, and how it needs change. But it is the YOUTHwho are the Sikhs of tomorrow, but a reform movement will involve anyone who wishes for CHANGE, and ONCE WE ALL HAVE A UNITED VOICE, A VOICE OF THE PANTH, THOSE CORRUPT COWARDS WHO THINK THEY CAN THRIVE OFF SIKHI WILL GO BACK INTO THEIR HOLES AND ROT AND DIE (not literally but with their corrupt beliefs)

WjkWJf

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Reform will come when we attach ourselves to the Guru (Guru Granth Sahib Ji only). Since I discovered it's traesure I am encouraging all to do the same. If we learn for ourselves then only can we encourage others. Once we realise the truth and encourage others to find the truth, things will change. However, nothing happens overnight!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: