• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Was The Koran Ever Housed In The Harmandir Sahib?

Curious1

SPNer
Mar 2, 2008
I just finished watching the movie Earth, by Deepa Mehta. It was a pretty good movie for the most part. I HATED Aamir Khan's character in it, towards the end, but oh well. ANYWAY, in that movie, one of the characters mentioned that the Golden Temple houses a copy of the Koran, along with the Guru Granth Sahib. The movie takes place during the time of the partition, so that was quite a while ago, but what I'm wondering is if that's true... Did the Golden Temple ever house a copy of the Koran? Does it still? I was just wondering, because those few lines in the movie came as a sweet surprise to me. I'd never heard of the Koran being inside the Golden Temple, and although our Gurus had respect for every religion (and tried to bring everyone together), there are MANY people that are not as open-minded. So yea... basically does anybody know anything about the Koran having been, or still being, housed inside the Golden Temple???

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This is a very interesting question. And surely there is a scholar among the members on SPN who will be able to tell you. The Golden Temple complex was and is a repository of ancient holy documents. Many documents were destroyed in 1984 -- one of the many sacrileges committed. And because no independent observers or news media were allowed in after the destruction there is very little comparative evidence. But someone will know.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I don't think koran was ever placed in golden temple.I don't know why director put that dialogue in film and what are his sources

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Curious 1ji

I am wondering if someone at the Institute for Sikh Studies in Chandighar would be able to answer your question. You can google for the web site. There is a contact us link. Once I wrote and asked them a question about translations and they answered right away.

Curious1

SPNer
Mar 2, 2008
Curious 1ji

I am wondering if someone at the Institute for Sikh Studies in Chandighar would be able to answer your question. You can google for the web site. There is a contact us link. Once I wrote and asked them a question about translations and they answered right away.

Oh wow, that's a really good idea. Thank you for that suggestion! I'll try asking them. And if I find out, I'll let you know, since you seem interested in the question as well. THANKS!

Apr 4, 2007
I just finished watching the movie Earth, by Deepa Mehta. It was a pretty good movie for the most part. I HATED Aamir Khan's character in it, towards the end, but oh well. ANYWAY, in that movie, one of the characters mentioned that the Golden Temple houses a copy of the Koran, along with the Guru Granth Sahib. The movie takes place during the time of the partition, so that was quite a while ago, but what I'm wondering is if that's true... Did the Golden Temple ever house a copy of the Koran? Does it still? I was just wondering, because those few lines in the movie came as a sweet surprise to me. I'd never heard of the Koran being inside the Golden Temple, and although our Gurus had respect for every religion (and tried to bring everyone together), there are MANY people that are not as open-minded. So yea... basically does anybody know anything about the Koran having been, or still being, housed inside the Golden Temple???

not in the Darbar Sahib itself, but in the library at Akal Takht, there were books from all religious traditions, as well as many historical documents and important historical manuscripts of Guru Granth Sahib ji and Dasam Granth.

unfortunately, the library was completely destroyed in Blue Star. probably on purpose (people who were there say there were no militants in the library, so there was no reason to burn it except to destroy Sikh history).

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM