• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Wake Up Call - 2

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
Waheguru ji ka khalsa,
Waheguru ji ki fateh,
Dear Bro & Sis,

We are not against any religion and in fact we do believe in all the religion and we ( i guess ) are the only people who actually open gates for all other religion .

We believe that regardless of the religion , its his/her faith which is more important and which build their relationship with god.

We are the only people on this planet who respect ( and yes we do) every other religion and DIE for them.
We have faced torture, discrimination, execution . Why?? just to save ourself or others. We never seek converts, we never seek country, we never go beyond our limits. So that`s what we are now.

Let me tell you specifically what went wrong here. We are more in numbers than jews . We are 8-9th biggest religion in world (Major religious groups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) . Punjabi is in list top 20 languages ( List of languages by number of native speakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
Yet a few knows about us.

"The Problem with Sikh is that it has no problem and that`s what people dont like about us."

"The Problem with Sikh is that Sikh don't like Sikhism. They dress up their children as ghosts ,skeleton , santa at Halloween and Christmas but not as khalsa on vesakhi"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they are busy paying ********s , insurances and taxes rather than paying dasvandh"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they prefer calling themselves 'sandu' etc. rather than be called as 'singh/kaur' "

"The Problem with Sikh is that they hate Hindus but love Pakistani terrorists and who 'promise' them to help them to make a new Sikh state"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they have 'Gurudwara Elections' and which is now corrupted ( and everyone knows that it is ) and still they have Gurudwara Election and then they end up having dispute with each other, drag each other into court"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they sometime do not obey Hukamanama ( issued by the Akal Takhat which is ALLWAYS and ANYWAYS has to be OBEYED by all of the Sikhs)"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they want to cut their hair because they think they gonna look smarter and then they repent and when they want to grow them again they end up with the excuse ' its been so long time , now i can`t , i just can`t although i want to ! '"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they believe in division rather than unity"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they have strongly protest if someone ask to remove their turban in public but no objection toward liquor offering."

"The Problem with Sikh is that they there are only a few who are left sikh, rest everyone either has left it or died."

"The Problem with Sikh is that every one want baghat singh to be born again but not in their own family"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they no longer are sikh"

"The Problem with Khalsa is that s/he no longer khalsa"

Ok Enough blame-game. Yes i have done a remarkable job in blaming my community members.
Enough insult! or we are already used to it?

If so then it not gonna effect much because then you gonna say either "oh ******** , this is not where i should be going" "oh man! this is not of my type" "Sikhism is already corrupted , we can`t change that"
or "Come on its 21th century and you are talking about this........"

Yes we are talking about this. 21th century doesn't mean that we have conquered god or even close to it.

"We(human) are like a bottle swimming in between Pacific Ocean and all we discovered so far is the waves of space time."

Beware Sikh. No one has compassion for us. If you see anybody who looks like doesn't know about Sikhism and ask you stupid questions and make your fun. Dont be surprise and do not expect any gratitude from him/her. This is not their fault that they did not appreciate our philosophy but ours who have failed to convey them at first.

Let me ask ourself What have we done to teach non-Sikh about our culture? now don't give me answers like 'Punjabi MC, or some bhangra nation have already been in good reputation in west." Yes they have done terribly nice job but what about our identity? our faith?

People still think that we are some deviated version of Islam or so. They think we are most illiterate and dirty people in the world. why? because we do not shave and put turban on their head and always carry weapon with us.

If a person born in Maryland, MD , have been already terrified with 9/11 and all he knows is that there is another world across Atlantic Ocean who live in desert and wear turban as he probably seen on TV and who had attacked us on Sept 2001.
"i don't know much about them but yeah their leader wear turban" "so now he wear turban , and you also, so probably you are from the same place and same belief as he is. So this obviously conclude that you are also his follower ." and " oh my god, you are carrying a knife? are you insane. now i don't doubt anymore. how did they let you enter in US"

Now let me ask you Where things gone wrong? We can think that this person is probably illiterate. He does n`t know anything about Sikhism. He is confusing us with Muslim and we are not Muslim.
Yes this person does not know anything about Sikhism but who`s job is to make him literate? obviously OURS.
No body gonna come from heaven and tell everybody that what Sikhism is and how is it different.

And we need to talk with each and everyone before they ask us and raise question to us. We need to tell everyone and we have to. This is what our identity is and if we do not make known to us then probably in future we gonna put ourself into much more problem than we are facing now.

People Scare from us. like we are from different planet. They dont think we are human. They scare from our turban and our kirpan. No body know what the hell does 'sikh' means.

Come oh all my bro`s and sis. WE have to get together and we have to go in all direction with a message of peace and humanity. WE have faced enough till now but we have to do something on International level.

THIS is the right time and no other time will be more right. If you want to protect us, our community then we have to take these first steps.

humble
Jaswinder Singh

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
I am not sure why have you given me this link as i do not think that it relative with my post.

She had done a good job recognizing the problem of 'vanishing Sikhism' but its seems to me that rather talking about to Sikhism she introduced the Sex-ratio problem.

And i believe the sole cause of Sex-Discrimination in Sikhism is having less participation from women side.

Women have already given all of the rights in Sikhism , all they have to do is just to grab them, Even no need of asking for it. Again No one gonna come and teach you how to live and what your rights are. You have to find it by yourself.

This is a hard word and if you want to live you have to let other know the essence of your faith.

stupidjassi

amar7979

SPNer
Oct 26, 2007
Delhi (INDIA)
Self education and realization amongst the Sikhs is what is the need of the hour before we could educate others about our existence & identity (as the case discussed here) …the link probably threw some light on an important aspect of the post.

Most humbly I accept your comments…and apologies if I have not still understood your viewpoint !!

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
Self education and realization amongst the Sikhs is what is the need of the hour before we could educate others about our existence & identity (as the case discussed here) …the link probably threw some light on an important aspect of the post.

Most humbly I accept your comments…and apologies if I have not still understood your viewpoint !!

Hi amar7979 ji, First also accept my apologies if i sound harsh. No i am not. I know you are right that self education and realization is needed and very much needed. sikh word itself means 'student' the 'one who study'.

But all i meant in my earlier post is that our identity is easily mistaken and the space in which we are living is polluted and its not easy to co-operate.

We need to make our identity in the world and tell everyone who we really are before they make some other assumptions.

I beg your forgiveness if i sound as khalistani or something. No. My whole idea is just to make a good image in society by spreading the idea of sikhism.

stupidjassi

amar7979

SPNer
Oct 26, 2007
Delhi (INDIA)
We need to make our identity in the world and tell everyone who we really are before they make some other assumptions.
stupidjassi

I agree and appreciate your views...but the point of thought is 'What are we really doing in this direction?'
There are certain organisations like SPN contributing their bit...i feel the spirit must enlighten among each one of us.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Waheguru ji ka khalsa,
Waheguru ji ki fateh,
Dear Bro & Sis,

We are not against any religion and in fact we do believe in all the religion and we ( i guess ) are the only people who actually open gates for all other religion .

We believe that regardless of the religion , its his/her faith which is more important and which build their relationship with god.

We are the only people on this planet who respect ( and yes we do) every other religion and DIE for them.
We have faced torture, discrimination, execution . Why?? just to save ourself or others. We never seek converts, we never seek country, we never go beyond our limits. So that`s what we are now.

Let me tell you specifically what went wrong here. We are more in numbers than jews . We are 8-9th biggest religion in world (Major religious groups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) . Punjabi is in list top 20 languages ( List of languages by number of native speakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
Yet a few knows about us.

"The Problem with Sikh is that it has no problem and that`s what people dont like about us."

"The Problem with Sikh is that Sikh don't like Sikhism. They dress up their children as ghosts ,skeleton , santa at Halloween and Christmas but not as khalsa on vesakhi"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they are busy paying ********s , insurances and taxes rather than paying dasvandh"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they prefer calling themselves 'sandu' etc. rather than be called as 'singh/kaur' "

"The Problem with Sikh is that they hate Hindus but love Pakistani terrorists and who 'promise' them to help them to make a new Sikh state"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they have 'Gurudwara Elections' and which is now corrupted ( and everyone knows that it is ) and still they have Gurudwara Election and then they end up having dispute with each other, drag each other into court"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they sometime do not obey Hukamanama ( issued by the Akal Takhat which is ALLWAYS and ANYWAYS has to be OBEYED by all of the Sikhs)"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they want to cut their hair because they think they gonna look smarter and then they repent and when they want to grow them again they end up with the excuse ' its been so long time , now i can`t , i just can`t although i want to ! '"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they believe in division rather than unity"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they have strongly protest if someone ask to remove their turban in public but no objection toward liquor offering."

"The Problem with Sikh is that they there are only a few who are left sikh, rest everyone either has left it or died."

"The Problem with Sikh is that every one want baghat singh to be born again but not in their own family"

"The Problem with Sikh is that they no longer are sikh"

"The Problem with Khalsa is that s/he no longer khalsa"

Ok Enough blame-game. Yes i have done a remarkable job in blaming my community members.
Enough insult! or we are already used to it?

If so then it not gonna effect much because then you gonna say either "oh ******** , this is not where i should be going" "oh man! this is not of my type" "Sikhism is already corrupted , we can`t change that"
or "Come on its 21th century and you are talking about this........"

Yes we are talking about this. 21th century doesn't mean that we have conquered god or even close to it.

"We(human) are like a bottle swimming in between Pacific Ocean and all we discovered so far is the waves of space time."

Beware Sikh. No one has compassion for us. If you see anybody who looks like doesn't know about Sikhism and ask you stupid questions and make your fun. Dont be surprise and do not expect any gratitude from him/her. This is not their fault that they did not appreciate our philosophy but ours who have failed to convey them at first.

Let me ask ourself What have we done to teach non-Sikh about our culture? now don't give me answers like 'Punjabi MC, or some bhangra nation have already been in good reputation in west." Yes they have done terribly nice job but what about our identity? our faith?

People still think that we are some deviated version of Islam or so. They think we are most illiterate and dirty people in the world. why? because we do not shave and put turban on their head and always carry weapon with us.

If a person born in Maryland, MD , have been already terrified with 9/11 and all he knows is that there is another world across Atlantic Ocean who live in desert and wear turban as he probably seen on TV and who had attacked us on Sept 2001.
"i don't know much about them but yeah their leader wear turban" "so now he wear turban , and you also, so probably you are from the same place and same belief as he is. So this obviously conclude that you are also his follower ." and " oh my god, you are carrying a knife? are you insane. now i don't doubt anymore. how did they let you enter in US"

Now let me ask you Where things gone wrong? We can think that this person is probably illiterate. He does n`t know anything about Sikhism. He is confusing us with Muslim and we are not Muslim.
Yes this person does not know anything about Sikhism but who`s job is to make him literate? obviously OURS.
No body gonna come from heaven and tell everybody that what Sikhism is and how is it different.

And we need to talk with each and everyone before they ask us and raise question to us. We need to tell everyone and we have to. This is what our identity is and if we do not make known to us then probably in future we gonna put ourself into much more problem than we are facing now.

People Scare from us. like we are from different planet. They dont think we are human. They scare from our turban and our kirpan. No body know what the hell does 'sikh' means.

Come oh all my bro`s and sis. WE have to get together and we have to go in all direction with a message of peace and humanity. WE have faced enough till now but we have to do something on International level.

THIS is the right time and no other time will be more right. If you want to protect us, our community then we have to take these first steps.

humble
Jaswinder Singh

Seems like your major issue is -- why haven't Sikhs done anything to teach others about the identity?

This is a bigger question that has a lot of inter-related subjects. For example, most Sikhs themselves do not keep the identity, so the few that try to educate are left with thin support. So then the question becomes, Why have the Sikhs given up so quickly when we have a history of war and staying "true", and this leads to no one in the western world knowing what a Sikh is ..

The problem I see with this question is that you wish for an entire community to work completely together for a community goal without bias. Everyone has an individual economic drive which leads them, and thats why Sikhism's identity will wash away. You can never have people rise up and keep it and educate others on the identity if it is no benefit to the individual. You want the individual to sacrifice his personal success or economic benefit for a preservation of culture on a community level.

Do I think it can be accomplished? Yes, because human beings are a social science and not "hard" science like physics, so the rules can change. Will it happen as the world progresses? I highly doubt it.

Unless we go through a hardship on a community scale which trickles down to effect all of us individually, then we will realize the commonality between all of us and many Sikhs will resort back to preserving the culture they came from. If this doesn't happen, or they do not feel the individual impact, nothing will happen.

For example, I'll take the devils advocate role :
Sikhs in punjab were recently at a huge problem with Dera Saucha Sauda. I was born, and raised in America.
Does the Dera Saucha Sauda effect me? No.
Does the issue with them effect Sikhs globally, individually, and economically ? No, it only effects Sikhs in India who deal with them on a day to day basis.
Have I done anything substantial to ease the situation in Punjab during the collision? No.
Did I still go to school in America on those days Punjab was bandh and riots started? Yes.
Why ? Because a collision with some other foreign religious group has no effect on me.
Do I care about the issue? Yes. Did I read up on it and discuss it and my ideas with other Sikhs? Yes, but that's all that can happen.

Do Sikhs in India care about mistaken identity ? No.
Do Sikhs in India care about the French Sikhs who can't go to school because they wear a turban ? No. (More Sikhs in Indian schools are now openly cutting their hair)

Can this change? I highly doubt it.

The thing is -- Why should one person care more about someone else in the other side of the world than his issues in front of him ? Religion was the vehicle to accomplish this task, but is now an out-dated system. We need a new system that unites human beings regardless of race/religion, and to get them to feel connected to a person in a developing nation who has no individual economic effect on them.

You want Sikhs in America to work together to stop mistaken identity, but that won't happen. To do that the community needs to keep the identity and work for a community goal which has absolutely no economic benefit for the community or the individual, hence why NOTHING will ever happen about it. (I actually see nothing wrong in this, you may, as your the religious observer).

If you do want to play this game -- try to motivate me to keep the identity without quoting religious text or saying "The Gurus did it, you must so!" or historical precedent, and then try to motivate me to care that others should keep it so that we may work together as a block and educate the western masses about the identity when that has no logical benefit to me. [i.e. you can not say the benefit to me is "your getting closer to god/guru"]

And there lies another inter-related issue, we're moving to a new era away from god/guru, as he is no longer a strong enough benefit or myth to help us today.

Now, since a lot of people misconstrue my posts, I'll say this -- The above are not my personal views.

As the world becomes one culture, any unique physical identity which has no individual or economic benefit will disappear unless it is genetic. (THINK -- science, darwinism, remaining fit, all relates to the above sentence becoming true)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM