• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Using Sikh Brazalet

shivabramin

SPNer
Nov 29, 2007
hi every one im new here i find some of your religion very interesting and beutifull , im a hindu , i have a question ... do you find offensive when i hindu believer use the sikh brazalet ... any coments , i use one in honor of the gurus i even a picture of the guru goving sinhg , what do you think

namaste

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
No we don't if you wear it with respect.

Oh i forgot to greet you so Shivabrahmin ji namaste and sat sri akal And welcome to spn.I hope you will stay here and share your views with us

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Shivbrahmin ji

Welcome to the Forum !

I think it should not be of any trouble if you wear brazlet
Hindu believer is no diffrent from Sikh beliver after all we are longing to unite with same one God .
In india infact many hindu do wear such brazlet and is more of a sign of mutual understanding and brotherhood between sikh and hindu

Take care

Jatinder Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Damo_singh ji

The word is bracelet -- kara. The steel bracelet that we wear.

And shivabrahmin ji - welcome - I have a similar question, not exactly the same. I have always wondered whether baptized Sikhs (amritdhari) are offended when Sikhs who are not baptized wear any of the 5 k's (bracelet, hair, turban, wooden comb and cotton underpants). Can never get a straight answer to this question. So I understand you point.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Damo_singh ji

The word is bracelet -- kara. The steel bracelet that we wear.

And shivabrahmin ji - welcome - I have a similar question, not exactly the same. I have always wondered whether baptized Sikhs (amritdhari) are offended when Sikhs who are not baptized wear any of the 5 k's (bracelet, hair, turban, wooden comb and cotton underpants). Can never get a straight answer to this question. So I understand you point.

Antonia ji

The straight answer is no.Majority of turbanned keshdhari sikhs are non amritdhari so how
could they feel offended.Similarly a lot of hindu's in india also wear kara.Yes there are narrow minded amritdhari sikhs who could feel offended but we can't make each and everybody happy.

shivabramin

SPNer
Nov 29, 2007
thank you to all for such a warm welcome, i feel good , so i will continue to wear my kara in honor of the great gurus:)

Damo_Singh

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
Pottsville, PA
Communication is difficult when speaking face to face and I often find myself misunderstood on forums. I have studied spirituality most of my adult life. I mentioned to aad0002 that the only Mantra I knew was the Gayatri and she thought that I meant that I was still chanting it. Fortunately, I have since learned the Mool Mantra. I was fairly certain that the subject was kara; however, the spelling threw me as I am sure my attempts at Gurmukhi would those of you who are literate in Gurmukhi. I have also found that there are certain words that I spell as they would be spelled in the UK which is slightly different than here in the USA.

Anyway, glad to here that the wearing of the kara is not an offense to others as I do wear one and am not near being prepared for baptism.

Most of my knowledge of Hinduism comes from the [SIZE=-1]www.himalayanacademy.com/ - email course. I wish there were such a course for sikhi.
[/SIZE]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
kds ji

Thanks for clearing this up for me. Usually when I ask the question is followed by a long explanation of why and how we wear 5 k's -- which by now I know -- and no answer to the question of how other people might feel about it.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM