• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Understanding The Journey Of The Devotees Of The Lord

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Understanding Journey of the Devotees of the Lord

Gurvinder janu Ji has posted a Shabad(discussed in detail below) on a separate thread “What Is Your New Year Resolution”, it addresses half of the Sikhi principles. If attention is paid, one can realize that Fifth Nanak is stressing on Lord’s Ordinance according to which we are bound regardless our claims about our intellectual force. In JapJi Sahib, it is made clear that only through knowing His Hukam one can sculpture oneself to be free of that force exists within that leads to nothing but unending miseries in different forms. Now let’s reread Guru Shabad to understand the Guru Message and its broad application.
ਜਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਤਿਵੈ ਤਿਉ ਹੋਵਣਾ (SGGS 523)
Ji▫o ji▫o ṯerā hukam ṯivai ṯi▫o hovṇā
As, as is Thy command, so, so does it happen
ਜਹ ਜਹ ਰਖਹਿ ਆਪਿ ਤਹ ਜਾਇ ਖੜੋਵਣਾ
. Jah jah rakẖėh āp ṯah jā▫e kẖaṛovaṇā.
Wheresoever Thou Thyself keepst me, there I go and stand.( means we are where you keep as per your Ordinance)

In Jap Ji, Guru ji says
ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਕੋਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਕੋਇ Hukmai anḏar sabẖ ko bāhar hukam na ko▫e. Nānak hukmai je bujẖai ṯa ha▫umai kahai na ko▫e. ||2||
All are subject to His fiat and none is exempt from His fiat. O Nanak! if man were to understand Lord's fiat, then no one would take pride (speak in ego).
All are subjected to His Ordinance, so to understand His hukam is very vital, that is why Guru ji says, if His ordinance is understood, “ego force” ceases to exist. In this very Shabad also Guru ji points at the same vital point
ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਪਛਾਤਾ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਕਦੇ ਰੋਵਣਾ
Jinĥī pacẖẖāṯā hukam ṯinĥ kaḏe na rovṇā
They, who recognize(means understand) Lord's will, weep not ever.
The origin of most of the problems lies in the ego; actually it is the ego that keeps us separated from Him. Game of ego is all about pleasing our own “self”, the moment one stops pleasing it, world looks different. As long as we keep indulged in satisfying it, many things are done. Many times we feed others ego to feed our own ego. No wonder Guru ji stresses on taking all good and bad equally as His Will. When individual ego is gone, who is left? Isn’t it the Lord only? Let’s see how this fact is shared by the real devotees of the Lord
ਜਬਹਮ ਹੋਤੇਤਬ ਤੁਮ ਨਾਹੀ ਅਬ ਤੁਮ ਹਹੁ ਹਮ ਨਾਹੀ (SGGS 339)
Jab ham hoe ab um nāhī ab um hahu ham nāhī.
When I was, then You were not; now that You are, I am not.
ਭਗਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ
More of it
ਜਬਹਮ ਹੋਤੇਤਬ ਤੂ ਨਾਹੀ ਅਬ ਤੂਹੀ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ (SGGS 657)
Jab ham hoe ab ū nāhī ab ūhī mai nāhī.
When I am in my ego, then You are not with me. Now that You are with me, there is no egotism within me.
ਭਗਤ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ਜੀ
So the cries are caused by the ego. When His ordinance is understood, ego is annulled.
Let’s go back to the Shabad. In next Guru Vaak, hint is to take mind to the Master whose Ordinance binds us. When ego is negated, meditating on His name becomes a coating of the soul that protects from Maya filth. It washes what was there due to ego and keeps it clean forever. Why? The real culprit ego is gone.
ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੈ ਕੈ ਰੰਗਿ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਧੋਵਣਾ ਜਪਿ ਜਪਿ ਤੁਧੁ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਭਰਮੁ ਭਉ ਖੋਵਣਾ
Nām ṯerai kai rang ḏurmaṯ ḏẖovṇā. Jap jap ṯuḏẖ nirankār bẖaram bẖa▫o kẖovṇā
. With the love of Thy Name, I wash off my evil intellect. By continuously meditating on Thee, O formless Lord, my doubt and dread are dispelled
There are illusions created by ego, under its influence, there is duality created by intellectual force, by understanding His Ordinance, ego is voided, then the intellect serves in positive way instead of creating illusions and duality. There is none but Him in the picture. The soul is attracted by the gravity of His love because all other elements that could hinder are gone. This is the second stage Guru ji pointing out.
We go through existences because we are separated from Him and remain a part of His creation, when we merge with Him, this cycle ends, soul stills within Him. Please read on:
ਜੋ ਤੇਰੈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਤੇ ਸੇ ਜੋਨਿ ਜੋਵਣਾ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਇਕੁ ਨੈਣ ਅਲੋਵਣਾ
. Jo ṯerai rang raṯe se jon na jovṇā. Anṯar bāhar ik naiṇ alovaṇā.
. They, who are imbued with Thine affection are not yoked to existences. Within and without(means out side), they see the one Lord with their eyes.
When ego is annuled, intellect becomes helpful. what has been remained to see after that? Answer is” the all pervading Lord” There is no conflict in reality; it is created by us in all cases. The conflict creating force ceases to exist, the true devotees see Him in good as well as bad. The ones, who are exposed to duality and ego, may laugh at it but they will never understand what they are missing.
Aim is clear, mind is set on it
ਨਾਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਖਸੀਸ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਰੋਵਣਾ ੧੮
Nā▫o Nānak bakẖsīs man māhi parovaṇā. ||18||
Nanak, they attain the Name's gift, which they string into their mind.
We waste life in conflicts by creating them and in efforts to win them, contrary to this, the real devotees of the Lord, are progressed so advance, they enjoy being in love with the Lord. There is nothing that blossom in their hearts but love for Him. Of course Lord’s grace completes the journey. By understanding His Ordinance, as ego disappears, miracle happens within.

G Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Understanding Journey of the Devotees of the Lord

pk70 ji

A great topic with your usual way to tease the deeper meaning from the words. From the wonderful puzzle-poetry of Sant Kabir comes the idea that the journey is not subject to the rules of "ordinary reality." The journey runs along a path that contradicts our experiences in ego and intellect. The journey is taken without travelling and the only map that works to find the path is given by the True Guru.

ਜਾਗਤ ਸੋਵਤ ਬਹੁ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ॥
jaagath sovath bahu prakaar ||
There are many ways of being awake, and sleeping.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਗੈ ਸੋਈ ਸਾਰੁ ॥
guramukh jaagai soee saar ||
To be awake as Gurmukh is the most excellent way.

ਇਸੁ ਦੇਹੀ ਕੇ ਅਧਿਕ ਕਾਮ ॥
eis dhaehee kae adhhik kaam ||
The most sublime of all the actions of this body,

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਜਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ॥੩॥੨॥
kehi kabeer bhaj raam naam ||3||2||
says Kabeer, is to meditate and vibrate on the Lord's Name. ||3||2||

ਜੋਇ ਖਸਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਾਇਆ ॥
joe khasam hai jaaeiaa ||
The wife gives birth to her husband.

ਪੂਤਿ ਬਾਪੁ ਖੇਲਾਇਆ ॥
pooth baap khaelaaeiaa ||
The son leads his father in play.

ਬਿਨੁ ਸ੍ਰਵਣਾ ਖੀਰੁ ਪਿਲਾਇਆ ॥੧॥
bin sravanaa kheer pilaaeiaa ||1||
Without breasts, the mother nurses her baby. ||1||

ਦੇਖਹੁ ਲੋਗਾ ਕਲਿ ਕੋ ਭਾਉ ॥
dhaekhahu logaa kal ko bhaao ||
Behold, people! This is how it is in the Dark Age of Kali Yuga.

ਸੁਤਿ ਮੁਕਲਾਈ ਅਪਨੀ ਮਾਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
suth mukalaaee apanee maao ||1|| rehaao ||
The son marries his mother. ||1||Pause||

ਪਗਾ ਬਿਨੁ ਹੁਰੀਆ ਮਾਰਤਾ ॥
pagaa bin hureeaa maarathaa ||
Without feet, the mortal jumps.

ਬਦਨੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਖਿਰ ਖਿਰ ਹਾਸਤਾ ॥
badhanai bin khir khir haasathaa ||
Without a mouth, he bursts into laughter.

ਨਿਦ੍ਰਾ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਰੁ ਪੈ ਸੋਵੈ ॥
nidhraa bin nar pai sovai ||
Without feeling sleepy, he lays down and sleeps.

ਬਿਨੁ ਬਾਸਨ ਖੀਰੁ ਬਿਲੋਵੈ ॥੨॥
bin baasan kheer bilovai ||2||
Without a churn, the milk is churned. ||2||

ਬਿਨੁ ਅਸਥਨ ਗਊ ਲਵੇਰੀ ॥
bin asathhan goo lavaeree ||
Without udders, the cow gives milk.

ਪੈਡੇ ਬਿਨੁ ਬਾਟ ਘਨੇਰੀ ॥
paiddae bin baatt ghanaeree ||
Without travelling, a long
journey is made.

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਾਟ ਨ ਪਾਈ ॥
bin sathigur baatt n paaee ||
Without the True Guru, the path is not found.

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਸਮਝਾਈ ॥੩॥੩॥
kahu kabeer samajhaaee ||3||3||
Says Kabeer, see this, and understand. ||3||3||

Sant Kabir
Ang 1194

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

This shabad was posted a long time ago by forum member Soul_Jyot on a thread by a different name. It is a wonderful expression by the 5th Guru of another truth of the journey. We see that the only sustenance is the Lord. And we also see that the reality is not of ego's making for it is a journey "where no one knows you." It is a journey where mind and intellect eventually must admit defeat for it is a journey in total darkness where the only light to the path is the light of the Lord's Name. It is a path of terrible heat and blazing sunshine which drives the ego, parched by thirst, to cry out......

ijh mwrg ky gny jwih n kosw ]
jih maarag kae ganae jaahi n kosaa ||
On that path where the miles cannot be counted,

hir kw nwmu aUhw sMig qosw ]
har kaa naam oohaa sa(n)g thosaa ||
there, the Name of the Lord shall be your sustenance.

ijh pYfY mhw AMD gubwrw ]
jih paiddai mehaa a(n)dhh gubaaraa ||
On that journey of total, pitch-black darkness,

hir kw nwmu sMig aujIAwrw ]
har kaa naam sa(n)g oujeeaaraa ||
the Name of the Lord shall be the Light with you.

jhw pMiQ qyrw ko n is\wnU ]
jehaa pa(n)thh thaeraa ko n sin(j)aanoo ||
On that journey where no one knows you,

hir kw nwmu qh nwil pCwnU ]
har kaa naam theh naal pashhaanoo ||
with the Name of the Lord, you shall be recognized.

jh mhw BieAwn qpiq bhu Gwm ]
jeh mehaa bhaeiaan thapath bahu ghaam ||
Where there is awesome and terrible heat and blazing sunshine,

qh hir ky nwm kI qum aUpir Cwm ]
theh har kae naam kee thum oopar shhaam ||
there, the Name of the Lord will give you shade.

jhw iqRKw mn quJu AwkrKY ]
jehaa thrikhaa man thujh aakarakhai ||
Where thirst, O my mind, torments you to cry out,

qh nwnk hir hir AMimRqu brKY ]4]
theh naanak har har a(n)mrith barakhai ||4||
there, O Nanak, the Ambrosial Name, Har, Har, shall rain down upon you. ||4||

Guru Arjan Dev Ji
Raag Gauree
Ang 264

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I have a question :

Is an understanding of how Laws of Nature work, part of understanding His Hukam ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
PK70 Ji,

Yes I agree that Laws of Nature are all part of His Hukam. My specific query is while we are treading the Journey towards God, what is the right way to understand His Hukam.

If giving our mind, body and wealth to the true Guru is the only way, then aren't we also already belonging to Him in principle ? Tuks of gurbani also mention how can we offer anything to God when everything belongs to Him

But in this journey, we have a physical body. And this body is subject to physical laws., some of which have been understood. With our limited understanding of His Hukam, there is also a whole 'new' but already existing non-physical laws that can be termed higher laws which in turn govern and mould the lower laws.

Please throw some light on the matter.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
PK70 Ji,

Yes I agree that Laws of Nature are all part of His Hukam. My specific query is while we are treading the Journey towards God, what is the right way to understand His Hukam.(quote namjap jio)
We cannot obey His Hukam as long as we, consciously or unconsciously, keep pleasing our minds, we cannot understand or tread on a path towards the Lord if our minds remain influenced of Maya. Even if we say” Yes all is His Hukam” we still defy it as we are led by the intellect of us that dances to the tunes of our ego. Guru ji stresses
ਲਬ ਲੋਭ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਕੀ ਮਾਤੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ
Lab lobẖ ahaʼnkār kī māṯī mā▫i▫ā māhi samāṇī.
She is intoxicated with greed, pride and egotism, and engrossed in Maya.

ਇਨੀ ਬਾਤੀ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਭਈ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਇਆਣੀ
Inī bāṯī saho pā▫ī▫ai nāhī bẖa▫ī kāmaṇ i▫āṇī. ||2||
She cannot obtain her Husband Lord in these ways; the young bride is so foolish! ||2|| ( Here iaani means ignorant)
Right after expressing the inexpressible in Mool Mantra, Guru Nanak asks his followers to seek the Lord through Guru. When we go to Guru to seek Him, we are supposed to go there leaving our “Self” behind but unfortunately most of us don’t.
ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਮਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਈਐ (SGGS602)
Nānak nām vasai man anar vicahu āp gavā▫ī▫ai. ||4||6||
In essence: If self conceit is eliminated from within, the Lord’s Name dwells with in the mind.

Now question is how, Guru puts a question and answers it

ਜਾਇ ਪੁਛਹੁ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਵਾਹੈ ਕਿਨੀ ਬਾਤੀ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਈਐ
Jā▫e pucẖẖahu sohāgaṇī vāhai kinī bāṯī saho pā▫ī▫ai.
Go and ask the happy, pure soul-brides(means who has realized the Lord), how did they obtain their Husband Lord?

ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰੇ ਸੋ ਭਲਾ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨੀਐ ਹਿਕਮਤਿ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਈਐ
Jo kicẖẖ kare so bẖalā kar mānī▫ai hikmaṯ hukam cẖukẖā▫ī▫ai.
Whatever the Lord does, accept that as good; do away with your own cleverness and self-will.

Problem most of the time is this that we keep our self guided intellect working in full scale. It’s very simple, either find HIM with our own intellect or give it up and follow Guru but be aware while following Guru, own intellect should not be part of it, only Guru Teachings should be followed.

If giving our mind, body and wealth to the true Guru is the only way, then aren't we also already belonging to Him in principle ? Tuks of gurbani also mention how can we offer anything to God when everything belongs to Him
You are mixing up oranges and apples. Reread your statement. It is not offering where Guru asks you to give, it is your “attention” Guru wants. The “Self” that is influenced by Maya, Guru wants to mold it. If that is not given, what Guru can do? When Gurubani states that give every thing to Guru, it generally means to detach from the “Self” It is not the contents that hold any importance but the action of detachment in this context.

But in this journey, we have a physical body. And this body is subject to physical laws., some of which have been understood. With our limited understanding of His Hukam, there is also a whole 'new' but already existing non-physical laws that can be termed higher laws which in turn govern and mould the lower laws.

Why this worry of these laws and physical body? Guru doesn’t say to abandon every thing. One can keep doing what job or profession one is in, should take care of the responsibility towards the body; if one gets sick, and should take medicine. Surrendering of self is an act of getting free from pleasing-mind- games and following Guru Teachings flawlessly.
We do not understand Hukam because we side by our “self” more than siding with the Guru. When Guru makes clear about the Ordinance of the Infinite
ਤੇਰਾ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਪੀ ਕੇਤੜਾ ਲਿਖਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੋਇ (SGGS 53)
Ŧerā hukam na jāpī keā lik na jāai ko▫e.
The extent of Your Command cannot be seen; no one knows how to write it.
ਮਃ 1
Why our “Self” is not satisfied? Do we want to satisfy this “Self” or walk on the path Guru says? In Gurbani, it is defined how His Ordinance should be obeyed, here are a few points to be considered
ਸੁਖ ਦੁਖ ਸਮ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਣੀਅਹਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਭੇਦਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ (SGGS 57)
Suk uk sam kar jāī▫ahi saba be suk ho▫e. ||5||
Those who see pain and pleasure as one and the same find peace; they are pierced through by the Shabad. ||5||
ਮਃ 1
ਸੁਖੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਦੋਨੋ ਸਮ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਨੈ ਅਉਰੁ ਮਾਨੁ ਅਪਮਾਨਾ (SGGS219)
Suk uk ono sam kar jānai a▫or mān apmānā.
One who knows that pain and pleasure are both the same, and honor and dishonor as well,
ਮਃ 9 1 ( It is only possible if Guru Teachings have priority and “Self” loses control over us)
In this world, there are two ways, one is to be pleased and to please others, the second one is to be in love with the Lord and paying no attention to what the world says in pursuit of the Creator. There are some who want to do the both, they are stuck, there are those who just care and love for the Lord, they progress to the highest spiritual level. Period. Choice is to be made as per His Hukam.:)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
The following Shabad was quoted by Soul-jyot ji and referred by aad jio above.
It is beautiful expression in context of being in His refuge.

In the following Guru Shabad, Fifth Nanak takes life not a journey filled with harmonious moments but a tasteless experience and advises the followers to seek Lord’s Name that can make it easy and harmonious. The first Guru Vaak expresses a long life having abyss but Lord’s name is only useful in it
ijh mwrg ky gny jwih n kosw ]
jih maarag kae ganae jaahi n kosaa ||
On that path where the miles cannot be counted,
hir kw nwmu aUhw sMig qosw ]
har kaa naam oohaa sa(n)g thosaa ||
there, the Name of the Lord shall be your sustenance.

In the following, the life though shined with Maya influences, still it is filled with darkness due to lack of divine knowledge. However, Lord’s Name lightens it up to dispel darkness created by Maya
ijh pYfY mhw AMD gubwrw ]
jih paiddai mehaa a(n)dhh gubaaraa ||
On that journey of total, pitch-black darkness,
hir kw nwmu sMig aujIAwrw ]
har kaa naam sa(n)g oujeeaaraa ||
the Name of the Lord shall be the Light with you.

Devotees differ from the worldly attached people, they behave different way which may not be liked by “Sansaari”; it doesn’t matter to the devotees because with them is Lord’s Name, a kind of ultimate support, why to bother about temporary support?
jhw pMiQ qyrw ko n is\wnU ]
jehaa pa(n)thh thaeraa ko n sin(j)aanoo ||
On that journey where no one knows you,
hir kw nwmu qh nwil pCwnU ]
har kaa naam theh naal pashhaanoo ||
with the Name of the Lord, you shall be recognized.

Life becomes terrible as one goes through ups and downs, Guru ji applauds the seeker not to worry as the Lord’s support is enough to pass through it, after all, the Lord is there.
jh mhw BieAwn qpiq bhu Gwm ]
jeh mehaa bhaeiaan thapath bahu ghaam ||
Where there is awesome and terrible heat and blazing sunshine,
qh hir ky nwm kI qum aUpir Cwm ]
theh har kae naam kee thum oopar shhaam ||
there, the Name of the Lord will give you shade.

As mind get tormented due to many reasons in this Maya dominated world, Guru ji is encouraging the soul to remain in Lord’s refuge, love for the Lord will void all miseries and eventually, peace will blossom within the heart
jhw iqRKw mn quJu AwkrKY ]
jehaa thrikhaa man thujh aakarakhai ||
Where thirst, O my mind, torments you to cry out,
qh nwnk hir hir AMimRqu brKY ]4]( Guru Arjan Dev Ji
Raag Gauree
Ang 264)

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
In this world, there are two ways, one is to be pleased and to please others, the second one is to be in love with the Lord and paying no attention to what the world says in pursuit of the Creator. There are some who want to do the both, they are stuck, there are those who just care and love for the Lord, they progress to the highest spiritual level.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਰਾਗੁ ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਘਰੁ
रागु सिरीरागु महला पहिला १ घरु १ ॥
Rāg sirīrāg mėhlā pahilā 1 gẖar 1.
Raag Siree Raag, First Mehl, First House:

ਮੋਤੀ ਮੰਦਰ ਊਸਰਹਿ ਰਤਨੀ ਹੋਹਿ ਜੜਾਉ
मोती त मंदर ऊसरहि रतनी त होहि जड़ाउ ॥
Moṯī ṯa manḏar ūsrėh raṯnī ṯa hohi jaṛā▫o.
If I had a palace made of pearls, inlaid with jewels,

ਕਸਤੂਰਿ ਕੁੰਗੂ ਅਗਰਿ ਚੰਦਨਿ ਲੀਪਿ ਆਵੈ ਚਾਉ
कसतूरि कुंगू अगरि चंदनि लीपि आवै चाउ ॥
Kasṯūr kungū agar cẖanḏan līp āvai cẖā▫o.
scented with musk, saffron and sandalwood, a sheer delight to behold -

ਮਤੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਭੂਲਾ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਤੇਰਾ ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਨਾਉ ॥੧॥
मतु देखि भूला वीसरै तेरा चिति न आवै नाउ ॥१॥
Maṯ ḏekẖ bẖūlā vīsrai ṯerā cẖiṯ na āvai nā▫o. ||1||
seeing this, I might go astray and forget You, and Your Name would not enter into my mind. ||1||

ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਜੀਉ ਜਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਉ
हरि बिनु जीउ जलि बलि जाउ ॥
Har bin jī▫o jal bal jā▫o.
Without the Lord, my soul is scorched and burnt.

ਮੈ ਆਪਣਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਛਿ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਅਵਰੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਥਾਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
मै आपणा गुरु पूछि देखिआ अवरु नाही थाउ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Mai āpṇā gur pūcẖẖ ḏekẖi▫ā avar nāhī thā▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o.
I consulted my Guru, and now I see that there is no other place at all. ||1||Pause||

ਧਰਤੀ ਹੀਰੇ ਲਾਲ ਜੜਤੀ ਪਲਘਿ ਲਾਲ ਜੜਾਉ
धरती त हीरे लाल जड़ती पलघि लाल जड़ाउ ॥
Ḏẖarṯī ṯa hīre lāl jaṛ▫ṯī palagẖ lāl jaṛā▫o.
If the floor of this palace was a mosaic of diamonds and rubies, and if my bed was encased with rubies,

ਮੋਹਣੀ ਮੁਖਿ ਮਣੀ ਸੋਹੈ ਕਰੇ ਰੰਗਿ ਪਸਾਉ
मोहणी मुखि मणी सोहै करे रंगि पसाउ ॥
Mohṇī mukẖ maṇī sohai kare rang pasā▫o.
and if heavenly beauties, their faces adorned with emeralds, tried to entice me with sensual gestures of love -

ਮਤੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਭੂਲਾ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਤੇਰਾ ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਨਾਉ ॥੨॥
मतु देखि भूला वीसरै तेरा चिति न आवै नाउ ॥२॥
Maṯ ḏekẖ bẖūlā vīsrai ṯerā cẖiṯ na āvai nā▫o. ||2||
seeing these, I might go astray and forget You, and Your Name would not enter into my mind. ||2||

ਸਿਧੁ ਹੋਵਾ ਸਿਧਿ ਲਾਈ ਰਿਧਿ ਆਖਾ ਆਉ
सिधु होवा सिधि लाई रिधि आखा आउ ॥
Siḏẖ hovā siḏẖ lā▫ī riḏẖ ākẖā ā▫o.
If I were to become a Siddha, and work miracles, summon wealth

ਗੁਪਤੁ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਇ ਬੈਸਾ ਲੋਕੁ ਰਾਖੈ ਭਾਉ
गुपतु परगटु होइ बैसा लोकु राखै भाउ ॥
Gupaṯ pargat ho▫e baisā lok rākẖai bẖā▫o.
and become invisible and visible at will, so that people would hold me in awe -

ਮਤੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਭੂਲਾ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਤੇਰਾ ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਨਾਉ ॥੩॥
मतु देखि भूला वीसरै तेरा चिति न आवै नाउ ॥३॥
Maṯ ḏekẖ bẖūlā vīsrai ṯerā cẖiṯ na āvai nā▫o. ||3||
seeing these, I might go astray and forget You, and Your Name would not enter into my mind. ||3||

ਸੁਲਤਾਨੁ ਹੋਵਾ ਮੇਲਿ ਲਸਕਰ ਤਖਤਿ ਰਾਖਾ ਪਾਉ
सुलतानु होवा मेलि लसकर तखति राखा पाउ ॥
Sulṯān hovā mel laskar ṯakẖaṯ rākẖā pā▫o.
If I were to become an emperor and raise a huge army, and sit on a throne,

ਹੁਕਮੁ ਹਾਸਲੁ ਕਰੀ ਬੈਠਾ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਸਭ ਵਾਉ
हुकमु हासलु करी बैठा नानका सभ वाउ ॥
Hukam hāsal karī baiṯẖā nānkā sabẖ vā▫o.
issuing commands and collecting taxes-O Nanak, all of this could pass away like a puff of wind.

ਮਤੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਭੂਲਾ ਵੀਸਰੈ ਤੇਰਾ ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਨਾਉ ॥੪॥੧॥
मतु देखि भूला वीसरै तेरा चिति न आवै नाउ ॥४॥१॥
Maṯ ḏekẖ bẖūlā vīsrai ṯerā cẖiṯ na āvai nā▫o. ||4||1||
Seeing these, I might go astray and forget You, and Your Name would not enter into my mind. ||4||1||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
So then,

ਤੂੰ ਦਰੀਆਉ ਸਭ ਤੁਝ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
thoon dhareeaao sabh thujh hee maahi ||
You are the River of Life; all are within You.

If we are drawn to Him, and our Love for Him is first of all our loves, and as pk70 ji says, "the second one is to be in love with the Lord and paying no attention to what the world says in pursuit of the Creator," does it not follow that we will love others as well.

Two quatrains from the Shabad by Guru Ram Das in raag Aasaa, on Ang 11 (and continues on Ang
12)

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੪ ॥
aasaa mehalaa 4 ||
Aasaa, Fourth Mehl:

ਤੂੰ ਕਰਤਾ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ਮੈਡਾ ਸਾਂਈ ॥
thoon karathaa sachiaar maiddaa saanee ||
You are the True Creator, my Lord and Master.

ਜੋ ਤਉ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋਈ ਥੀਸੀ ਜੋ ਤੂੰ ਦੇਹਿ ਸੋਈ ਹਉ ਪਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
jo tho bhaavai soee thheesee jo thoon dhaehi soee ho paaee ||1|| rehaao ||
Whatever pleases You comes to pass. As You give, so do we receive. ||1||Pause||

ਸਭ ਤੇਰੀ ਤੂੰ ਸਭਨੀ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥
sabh thaeree thoon sabhanee dhhiaaeiaa ||
All belong to You, all meditate on you.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਤਿਨਿ ਨਾਮ ਰਤਨੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
jis no kirapaa karehi thin naam rathan paaeiaa ||
Those who are blessed with Your Mercy obtain the Jewel of the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਧਾ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥
guramukh laadhhaa manamukh gavaaeiaa ||
The Gurmukhs obtain it, and the self-willed manmukhs lose it.

ਤੁਧੁ ਆਪਿ ਵਿਛੋੜਿਆ ਆਪਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥੧॥
thudhh aap vishhorriaa aap milaaeiaa ||1||
You Yourself separate them from Yourself, and You Yourself reunite with them again. ||1||

ਤੂੰ ਦਰੀਆਉ ਸਭ ਤੁਝ ਹੀ ਮਾਹਿ ॥
thoon dhareeaao sabh thujh hee maahi ||
You are the River of Life; all are
within You.

ਤੁਝ ਬਿਨੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਕੋਈ ਨਾਹਿ ॥
thujh bin dhoojaa koee naahi ||
There is no one except You.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
the second one is to be in love with the Lord and paying no attention to what the world says in pursuit of the Creator," does it not follow that we will love others as well.(quote aad0002Ji)

aad Jio, very good question, lets not draw a line between the two as there is none.
We must understand that falling in love with the Lord, doesn’t mean hating His creation or His own part (Sargun Sroop).
Any one, who falls in love with the Lord, certainly will love His creation as well. If a person doesn’t love His creation, how to love Him is possible? Loving and getting lost only in His creation is the problem. The devotees do not involve too much in His creation to forget Him. There is a difference between falling in love with His creation and living in His love. When a real devotee falls in love with the Lord, he/she stops feeding ego and remains detached to His loving Creation, which is a contrary to what the world believes in. So“sansaarees” judge him/her by calling “pagal/crazy” but the devotees doesn’t pay attention to their judgment because they just do not know what they do. The real lover of the Lord doesn’t see the Lord separate from His creation but his hunger for the union with the Lord is satisfied only when he/she abandons that part of him/her that hinders the union, also known as ego and influence of Maya. When that happens, loving His creation doesn’t become chain in the spiritual progress. If that love for the creation tries to chain the soul to it, the real devotees wouldn’t let it do it. As per Gurbani, the Lord Himself created His Creation and settled it in Maya. ਬਾਬਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਰਚਨਾ ਧੋਹੁ ਅੰਧੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਨਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਏਹ ਓਹੁ ਰਹਾਉ
Bābā mā▫i▫ā racẖnā ḏẖohu. Anḏẖai nām visāri▫ā nā ṯis eh na oh. ||1|| rahā▫o.
O Father! deceitful is the splendor of worldly object. The (spiritually) blind man has forgotten God's Name. He neither abides in peace in this world nor in the next. Pause.

Warning is against blind attachment towards His creation not loving it as His part, Guru ji also calls it a pill of intoxication.
ਅਮਲੁ ਗਲੋਲਾ ਕੂੜ ਕਾ ਦਿਤਾ ਦੇਵਣਹਾਰਿ ਮਤੀ ਮਰਣੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਖੁਸੀ ਕੀਤੀ ਦਿਨ ਚਾਰਿ ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਸੋਫੀਆ ਰਾਖਣ ਕਉ ਦਰਵਾਰੁ
Sirīrāg mėhlā 1. Amal galolā kūṛ kā ḏiṯā ḏevaṇhār. Maṯī maraṇ visāri▫ā kẖusī kīṯī ḏin cẖār. Sacẖ mili▫ā ṯin sofī▫ā rākẖaṇ ka▫o ḏarvār. ||1||
Sri Rag, First Guru. The Giver has given man intoxicating pill of falsehood. Having been intoxicated therewith he has forgotten death and makes merry for four days. The mortals, who are the nonusers of intoxicants, obtain truthfulness to keep them in God's Court.

True Love of the Lord, hates none but doesn’t allow either the creation or the Maya to hinder His union with the Origin, the Lord.

Jun 2, 2007
India
{The real lover of the Lord doesn’t see the Lord separate from His creation but his hunger for the union with the Lord is satisfied only when he/she abandons that part of him/her that hinders the union, also known as ego and influence of Maya. When that happens, loving His creation doesn’t become chain in the spiritual progress. If that love for the creation tries to chain the soul to it, the real devotees wouldn’t let it do it. As per Gurbani, the Lord Himself created His Creation and settled it in Maya. } (Quote respected pk70 Ji)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Respected pk70 Ji

Thanx for starting this beautiful thread.

Please elaborate.(chain in the spiritual progress).

Regards
Bhul chuk lai maafi ji

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
It is not offering where Guru asks you to give, it is your “attention” Guru wants. The “Self” that is influenced by Maya, Guru wants to mold it. If that is not given, what Guru can do?
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1372&english=t&id=58582#l58582
ਕਬੀਰ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੈ ਜਉ ਸਿਖਾ ਮਹਿ ਚੂਕ
कबीर साचा सतिगुरु किआ करै जउ सिखा महि चूक ॥
Kabīr sācẖā saṯgur ki▫ā karai ja▫o sikẖā mėh cẖūk.
Kabeer, what can the True Guru do, when His Sikhs are at fault?

ਅੰਧੇ ਏਕ ਲਾਗਈ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਂਸੁ ਬਜਾਈਐ ਫੂਕ ॥੧੫੮॥
अंधे एक न लागई जिउ बांसु बजाईऐ फूक ॥१५८॥
Anḏẖe ek na lāg▫ī ji▫o bāʼns bajā▫ī▫ai fūk. ||158||
The blind do not take in any of His Teachings; it is as useless as blowing into bamboo. ||158||

Ang 1372

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Ang 1373

ਕਬੀਰ ਕੋਠੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਦਹ ਦਿਸਿ ਲਾਗੀ ਆਗਿ
कबीर कोठी काठ की दह दिसि लागी आगि ॥
Kabīr koṯẖī kāṯẖ kī ḏah ḏis lāgī āg.
Kabeer, the wooden house is burning on all sides.

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਜਲਿ ਮੂਏ ਮੂਰਖ ਉਬਰੇ ਭਾਗਿ ॥੧੭੨॥
पंडित पंडित जलि मूए मूरख उबरे भागि ॥१७२॥
Pandiṯ pandiṯ jal mū▫e mūrakẖ ubre bẖāg. ||172||
The Pandits, the religious scholars, have been burnt to death, while the illiterate ones run to safety. ||172||

ਕਬੀਰ ਸੰਸਾ ਦੂਰਿ ਕਰੁ ਕਾਗਦ ਦੇਹ ਬਿਹਾਇ
कबीर संसा दूरि करु कागद देह बिहाइ ॥
Kabīr sansā ḏūr kar kāgaḏ ḏeh bihā▫e.
Kabeer, give up your skepticism; let your papers float away.

ਬਾਵਨ ਅਖਰ ਸੋਧਿ ਕੈ ਹਰਿ ਚਰਨੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥੧੭੩॥
बावन अखर सोधि कै हरि चरनी चितु लाइ ॥१७३॥
Bāvan akẖar soḏẖ kai har cẖarnī cẖiṯ lā▫e. ||173||
Find the essence of the letters of the alphabet, and focus your consciousness on the Lord. ||173||

Is this an unlearning process, PK70 Ji, Aad Ji, Kiram Ji, Gurvinder Ji ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Loving and getting lost only in His creation is the problem. The devotees do not involve too much in His creation to forget Him.
Page 676, Line 10
ਦਾਤਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਵਿਸਰਿਆ ਦਾਤਾਰਾ ॥
दाति पिआरी विसरिआ दातारा ॥
Ḏāṯ pi▫ārī visri▫ā ḏāṯārā.
He loves gifts, but he forgets the Giver.
Guru Arjan Dev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਕਬੀਰ ਕਬੀਰ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੈ ਜਉ ਸਿਖਾ ਮਹਿ ਚੂਕ
कबीर साचा सतिगुरु किआ करै जउ सिखा महि चूक ॥
Kabīr sāc
ā sagur ki▫ā karai ja▫o sikā mėh cūk.
Kabeer, what can the True Guru do, when His Sikhs are at fault?
ਅੰਧੇ ਏਕ ਲਾਗਈ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਂਸੁ ਬਜਾਈਐ ਫੂਕ
੧੫੮ (Ang 1372)
अंधे एक न लागई जिउ बांसु बजाईऐ फूक ॥१५८॥
An
ḏẖe ek na lāg▫ī ji▫o bāʼns bajā▫ī▫ai fūk. ||158||
The blind do not take in any of His Teachings; it is as useless as blowing into bamboo. ||158|| (Guru Vak Quoted By Namjap Ji)

Exactly namjap ji,

Thanks a lot for quoting it as it advocates a complete sincerity one should have towards the Guru:)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
{The real lover of the Lord doesn’t see the Lord separate from His creation but his hunger for the union with the Lord is satisfied only when he/she abandons that part of him/her that hinders the union, also known as ego and influence of Maya. When that happens, loving His creation doesn’t become chain in the spiritual progress. If that love for the creation tries to chain the soul to it, the real devotees wouldn’t let it do it. As per Gurbani, the Lord Himself created His Creation and settled it in Maya. } (Quote respected pk70 Ji)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Respected pk70 Ji

Thanx for starting this beautiful thread.

Please elaborate.(chain in the spiritual progress).

Regards
Bhul chuk lai maafi ji

Gurvinder janu ji
Thanks for liking the thread. I shall do my best to elaborate the clause I used in support of many Guru Vakas.
Guru ji unlike other sectarian thinking, accepts His creation as a real one. Lets see that first Guru Vaak in this context
ਸਚੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਖੰਡ ਸਚੇ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡ
Sacẖe ṯere kẖand sacẖe barahmand.
True are Your worlds, True are Your solar Systems.
ਸਚੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਲੋਅ ਸਚੇ ਆਕਾਰ (SGGS 463)
Sacẖe ṯere lo▫a sacẖe ākār.
True are Your realms, True is Your creation

Above Guru ji expresses that all His creation is actually a reality.
Now let’s see another Guru Vaak that states all is false
ਕੂੜੁ ਰਾਜਾ ਕੂੜੁ ਪਰਜਾ ਕੂੜੁ ਸਭੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ (SGGS 468)
rājā kū parjā kū sab sansār.
False is the king, false are the subjects; false is the whole world. ||1||

Here His creation is called false in context of the eternity of the Lord; compared to Him, all is perishable, for more clarity, please read on
ਬਿਨੁ ਸਚੇ ਸਭ ਕੂੜੁ ਹੈ ਅੰਤੇ ਹੋਇ ਬਿਨਾਸੁ ਰਹਾਉ (SGGS 49)
Bin sace sab hai ane ho▫e binās. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Without the True One, everything is false; in the end, all shall perish. ||1||Pause

So in this regard, only Truth is the Lord, rest is false as it is perishable unlike the Lord
Gurbani advocates family life and assures the followers to realize the Lord by living right in His created World
ਹਸੰਦਿਆ ਖੇਲੰਦਿਆ ਪੈਨੰਦਿਆ ਖਾਵੰਦਿਆ ਵਿਚੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ (SGGS 522)
Hasani▫ā kelani▫ā painani▫ā kāvani▫ā vice hovai muka. ||2||
While laughing, playing, dressing and eating, he is liberated. ||2||
So now question is how all this can be a chain. Lets go back to the clause “ chains in the spiritual progress” All that come into the way of uniting with the Lord, are chains, it can be a relation, deeds, desires/urges, ego , anger or deep attachment. While living in a society with so many relatives and friends, soul alone treads on the journey towards the Lord. All responsibilities, all the care and passion shown are natural; however, when for any reason (due to a relation, ego, anger, greed etc), soul falls for Maya influence, loses virtues, it is literally a chain in spiritual progress. Here is Guru ji pointing out all relations “chains” if they hinder souls progress towards uniting with the Lord. If because of them, soul doesn’t become aware of its relation with Lord and its purpose, certainly they are its chains.
ਬੰਧਨ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਸੰਸਾਰਿ ਬੰਧਨ ਸੁਤ ਕੰਨਿਆ ਅਰੁ ਨਾਰਿ
Banḏẖan māṯ piṯā sansār. Banḏẖan suṯ kanniā ar nār. ||2||
Entanglements are mother, father and the world. Entanglement are
So in a net shell, as long as they act as a blockage to the spiritual progression, they are chains, if they detour from the spiritual goal, they are chains. True devotees never let them be chains.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Ang 1373

ਕਬੀਰ ਕੋਠੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਦਹ ਦਿਸਿ ਲਾਗੀ ਆਗਿ
कबीर कोठी काठ की दह दिसि लागी आगि ॥
Kabīr koṯẖī kāṯẖ kī ḏah ḏis lāgī āg.
Kabeer, the wooden house is burning on all sides.

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਜਲਿ ਮੂਏ ਮੂਰਖ ਉਬਰੇ ਭਾਗਿ ॥੧੭੨॥
पंडित पंडित जलि मूए मूरख उबरे भागि ॥१७२॥
Pandiṯ pandiṯ jal mū▫e mūrakẖ ubre bẖāg. ||172||
The Pandits, the religious scholars, have been burnt to death, while the illiterate ones run to safety. ||172||

ਕਬੀਰ ਸੰਸਾ ਦੂਰਿ ਕਰੁ ਕਾਗਦ ਦੇਹ ਬਿਹਾਇ
कबीर संसा दूरि करु कागद देह बिहाइ ॥
Kabīr sansā ḏūr kar kāgaḏ ḏeh bihā▫e.
Kabeer, give up your skepticism; let your papers float away.

ਬਾਵਨ ਅਖਰ ਸੋਧਿ ਕੈ ਹਰਿ ਚਰਨੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥੧੭੩॥
बावन अखर सोधि कै हरि चरनी चितु लाइ ॥१७३॥
Bāvan akẖar soḏẖ kai har cẖarnī cẖiṯ lā▫e. ||173||
Find the essence of the letters of the alphabet, and focus your consciousness on the Lord. ||173||

Is this an unlearning process, PK70 Ji, Aad Ji, Kiram Ji, Gurvinder Ji ?

Here's a response I received via email from an old friend, and with his consent, I am posting the response here :-

The meaning of this shabad hinges upon the meaning of "what is the essence." The house is burning because it is caught in time/kala, therefore it is destructible and temporary and is of the nature of suffering things which pass away. Anything which is of the sansaar, such as ordinary learning, respect of others, egotism and pride of accomplishments will be reduced to this kind of burning/destruction. When people try to make this outward show their spirituality, they too, even religious scholars and respected spiritual people are reduced to ash. It is worthless knowledge, vain and empty show. It can save no one. And Kabir Ji is also using himself as example, by saying even the authentically spiritual banis he is writing might as well float away, this means he has non-attachment, and also that the physical banis (papers, ink, etc). will be reduced to ash.

But the "essence of the letters" is the same meaning as "mantra ras," or put it properly, the vibrational reality of the higher consciousness which cannot burn and doesn't pass away contained within the banis, focus your mind on that, because THAT vibrational Presence is the everlasting Lord. And also by way of reversing the meaning, the essence of the Lord's Presence which will uplift your consciousness, is also going to burn away the worthless house you falsely cherish. So the bani is speaking of divestment of ego and withdrawal from worldly attainment in name of spiritual teaching, because the essence of spiritual teaching is radical cleansing away of all that is not God, until all that is left is that which is not caught in time/kala, ie., only God will be ultimately left. That is the essence and spiritual attainment to focus your consciousness on. So it is not specifically an "unlearning" but rather a refocusing and interior divestment of any show of spirituality, even reading of banis. In other words, take your knowledge of God's shabad to the next level and abandon yourself to His Presence in the vibrational essence which is the authentic meaning of Shabad Naam. To be illiterate is fine, because it is humility and surrender to the God that you don't know enough to obstruct His light with your material misunderstanding. Even the illiterate can cling to the mantras hidden in the essence of the letters, and that is all the Shabad-Jyot you need. The rest is superficial and worthless. So we see here a very profound teaching by Bhagat Kabir Ji.

- Anonymous -

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM