• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Politics Uk Politics - Who Will You Vote For As A Sikh?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hi all,

It s coming to election time and in the UK we have 3 main parties. These are:

• Labour - tend to be left of centre, but are more centre today. Union supported.
  • Liberal - centre party, but under present leadership more to the left.
  • Conservative - Right wing Party. Tends to help rich.
Liberals however, never get it in.

Who will you vote for as a Sikh? Which party best represents Sikh beliefs?

Labour have been in power since 1997 and have done some good things like spent money on education, health service, training scheme for work, helped families with Tax Credits and introduce minimum wages. Their biggest downfall was Iraq. Most Labour voters however, were totally against Iraq. They emphasise collective responsibility.

The Liberals pretty much want to do what Labour will do, but never supported Iraq. They emphasise collective responsibility.

Conservatives, supported Iraq. They want to give tax cuts to well off. They want to take money out of the Public sector and give it to subsidise the Private sector eg schools. They want to abolish training schemes for unemployed. They have a poor track record with the National Health Service, and created massive waiting lists last time they were in power. they believe in self and individual responsibility.

I believe that for a Sikh we have a collective responsibility to society. Sarbat Dha Bhalla, so that immediately discounts the Conservatives. Labour have done some wrong things, but voting Liberal will split the vote and mean Conservatives will get in. I cannot in all honesty understand if you are a Sikh, how you can support a Right wing Party? I have seen some Sikh candidates for the Conservatives, and they all seem to be multi-millionaire types? Are we so fickle as Sikhs that we forget Sarbat dha Bhalla when we accumulate Maya?

I will vote tactically to keep Conservatives out. A vote for Sarbhat dha Bhalla, not for Hankaar!

On a side note.

The campaign the Conservatives have launched seems to have backfired, with the ordinary public making fun of them and their posters:

MyDavidCameron.com | Airbrushed for change :rofl!!:

bbdo5.jpg

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
randip ji = Thanks for the update on the looming scene. Who is your favorite to win? Who do you personally support. LOL No fair if you don't tell us what you are going to do too.

Unfortunately I don't vote in this one, but I do appreciate the background.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
My politics have always been left of centre as I believe Guru Nanak dev ji believed in Social justice.

He looked out for the poor man. Kaam, Krodh, Moh, Lobh and Hankaar are things associated with those who have money. One only has to look at the Conservative front bench and only TWO are not millionaires.

These guys have no clue what the common man does.

Liberals have been out in the wilderness for years and don't have a chance of winning. If anything they will split the vote and let the Tories in.

Labour did on bad thing Iraq (although I wasn't totally against it for different reasons). They have invested in schools, hospitals, welfare, jobs, training, and helped people in recession.

So out of the 3, I would vote Labour as that is the closest to Sikh values. I would however, vote tactically, to keep a Conservative candidate out as I think they are really nasty people.:tongue:

24174_389830344837_709724837_5085643_3174374_n.jpg

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: