• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

World U.N. Chief's Message To North Korean Leader

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
U.N. chief's message to North Korean leader

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/11/u-n-chiefs-message-to-north-korean-leader/

U.N. chief's message to North Korean leader

Posted by
CNN Political Unit

(CNN) – Delivering a direct message to North Korea's young leader Thursday, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged Kim Jong Un to focus less on making threats against the United States, and more on improving conditions for his own people.

"I would strongly ask him to, first of all, refrain from taking any such provocative measures, which is clearly in violation against the Security Council resolution and against the expectation of the international community," Ban said during an exclusive appearance on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

"I would strongly urge him to do more to enhance the living standard of his own people, when they are suffering from this economic difficulty," continued Ban, who met with President Barack Obama at the White House Thursday.

Ban also delivered a message in his native Korean to Kim Jong Un, telling Blitzer he was speaking both as the UN secretary-general and a South Korean citizen.

"Do more…for eventual peace and reunification of the Korean Peninsula," Ban said.

There is a video of Ban's message at

Attachments

• ban.png
    ban.png
    104.7 KB · Reads: 267
Last edited by a moderator:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Here is some more comprehensive coverage of the crisis with North Korea.

CBS/AP/ April 11, 2013, 8:15 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57579027/north-korea-powerful-striking-means-on-standby/

missle_map_koreas_animated.gif

North Korea: "Powerful striking means" on standby

PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA North Korea delivered a fresh round of rhetoric Thursday with claims it had "powerful striking means" on standby for a launch, while Seoul and Washington speculated that the country is preparing to test a medium-range missile during upcoming national celebrations.

CBS News correspondent Margaret Brennan, reporting from Seoul, South Korea, said on "CBS This Morning" Thursday that conflicting reports say missile launchers have been moved into a firing position.

Brennan reports that, according to U.S. intelligence, North Korea is fully ready to fire off a missile called the Musudan, which is also known as the Taepodong-X. That type of weapon is capable of hitting U.S. military bases in Japan and Guam.

On Thursday, the Taiwanese government became the first country to tell its citizens not to travel to South Korea due to rising tensions, Brennan reports. On Friday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is expected to arrive in Seoul to meet with South Korean officials to try to calm those tensions.

On the streets of Pyongyang, meanwhile, North Koreans celebrated the anniversary of leader Kim Jong Un's appointment to the country's top party post — one in a slew of titles collected a year ago in the months after father Kim Jong Il's death.

The Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland, a nonmilitary agency that deals with relations with South Korea, didn't elaborate on its warning of a strike. The statement is the latest in a torrent of warlike threats seen outside Pyongyang as an effort to raise fears and pressure Seoul and Washington into changing their North Korea policy.

Expert: N. Korea dictator has everything to lose in war

A missile launch by North Korea would violate U.N. Security Council resolutions prohibiting the isolated nation from nuclear and ballistic missile activity, and mark a major escalation in Pyongyang's standoff with neighboring nations and the U.S.

North Korea already has been punished in recent months for launching a long-range rocket in December and conducting an underground nuclear test in February.

Analysts do not believe North Korea will stage an attack similar to the one that started the Korean War in 1950. But there are concerns that the animosity could spark a skirmish that could escalate into a serious conflict.

"North Korea has been, with its bellicose rhetoric, with its actions ... skating very close to a dangerous line," U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in Washington on Wednesday. "Their actions and their words have not helped defuse a combustible situation."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
In my opinion Kim Jung Un is a brat and a bully. He is trying to divert the attention of his countrywo/men who are suffering from mal nutrition and other mals. Even China, his BFF seems fed up and they want to avoid a mass exodus from North Korea if things get worse.

Lil Kim is just howling like a pit-bull although he looks like one overweight Dachshund. He is dying for attention so other countries can feed his people who are hungry because of the dynastic antics.

He does not have the cajones-literally speaking- to do anything. Just bark, no bite. Bad poodle who needs to join The Biggest Loser!!

Tejwant Singh

GSingh1984

SPNer
Mar 28, 2013
North Korea, has enough artillery positioned in range of Seoul to destroy it in one volley.

edit - http://www.businessinsider.com/why-no-one-in-korea-wants-war-2013-4

Even without nuclear weapons, North Korea has an ace in the hole. Most experts believe its claims to have enough conventional firepower from its artillery units to devastate the greater Seoul area, South Korea's bustling capital of 24 million. Such an attack would cause severe casualties — often estimated in the hundreds of thousands — in a very short period of time.
____
I know, paanji that some of my posts (if not many) have been short in the past hour or so, even though I'm on a pc. I feel that with writing sometimes you should say even less, than in real life as it just seems to be a tirade after awhile.

People can draw their own conclusions, and sikhi is about having independent thinkers united for justice!

VJKVJF

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I really do not like the "Like" button because many I time I don't like what someone says, but I may want to say "Thank you" or "Agreed."

Inderjeet Kaur ji.... Yes, all news reports today indicate that the official position of the US is cautious, and everything that the US is doing militarily positions itself for a sure and certain retaliation. This is not something that calls for clever quips and I thank you for setting things straight on that point.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I really do not like the "Like" button because many I time I don't like what someone says, but I may want to say "Thank you" or "Agreed."

Inderjeet Kaur ji.... Yes, all news reports today indicate that the official position of the US is cautious, and everything that the US is doing militarily positions itself for a sure and certain retaliation. This is not something that calls for clever quips and I thank you for setting things straight on that point.

Like you, I lived through the Cold War. This reminds me of the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962 with two important differences.

1. The main players, Kennedy and Krushchev - and Castro, to a lesser degree - were all sane people. Kim Jong-Un is stark raving mad
  2. We were all scared, very scared and sat huddled around our radios and TVs waiting. Now, it's just business as usual.

All thre same, let's keep the quips and jokes coming. We can't do anything about what is happening and I love the old Zen saw: "There is nothing left to you now except to have a good big laugh."

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM