• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

SALDEF Turban Myths Engages Sikhs At Stanford University (Must Read From SALDEF)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I encourage you to click on the link and read the full report. It is rich with statistics and social coverage of mistaken beliefs about turbans and Sikhs. The authors completed a heroic task of team based research which is presented in an interesting format. spnadmin

We're proud to present to you the first-ever nationwide public perception assessment of Sikh Americans: "Turban Myths." On Dec. 14th, Sikh Americans from across the country gathered at Stanford University Graduate School of Business where Stanford researchers, working in collaboration with SALDEF, unveiled this groundbreaking research. Our thinking was this: if we don't fully understand the awareness gaps about Sikhism, how can we effectively address them?

Read the full research report here.

Among the report's key findings:
  • Roughly 70% of the American public cannot identify a pictured Sikh man as a Sikh;
  • About half of the public associate the turban with Islam, and about half think Sikhism is a sect of Islam;
  • Anti-turban bias exists even among Americans with a greater understanding of Sikhism;
  • To define the brand and change public perception of the turban, the community must invest in national media using a consistent and coherent message.

See full report and slide show at this link http://issuu.com/saldefmedia/docs/turbanmyths_121113

Chardi Kala!

The SALDEF Team.

Attachments

• myths.png
    myths.png
    138 KB · Reads: 330

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I was utterly amazed and completely shocked. I have always reported that the average American is living in a cocoon where Sikhs are concerned. But this is worse than I thought.

Nov 23, 2010
I was utterly amazed and completely shocked. I have always reported that the average American is living in a cocoon where Sikhs are concerned. But this is worse than I thought.

It doesn't shock me too much. The bulk of Americans are remarkable insular to put it politely. As for Mexico, on the last offical census Sikhs are listed as a sect of Islam. I'm working to get that changed before the next one.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM